Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

Tires- how long is too long?

3K views 30 replies 23 participants last post by  BLARNEY 
#1 ·
So I have been running Pilot Powers on my SV for street and track. They are wearing very well, meaning not much at all. Monty once joked that the combination of the SVs power delivery and my weight(Jockey was the term he used) that they would last me forever.
So that is where I am now. Something like 10 track days, almost all at intermediate pace, and they still look ok to me. How long is too long to run a set?

#3 ·
I ran the 2CT's on my gsxr 1000 4 trackdays (Novice group but I was told that I was running a slow-mid I pace) and a few thousand street miles. They still had some life left. I'd be more concerned with heat cycles than usable meat on the tire. And I'm sure everyone will agree, if you have to ask, you probably should change them. Piece of mind is worth more than a few hundred bucks.

#4 ·
Once they have been used at track pace....they start to age.

Personally, I never use last years tires because they age all winter.

I would replace them now..... regardless of wear before another track day.

Tom

#5 ·
I'll go with tom.
Once you remove track tires you'll see how thin and soft the outside inch of rubber becomes.

#7 · (Edited)
My PP are 3 years old (I know the history on my bike) and look fine and work ok for street. I have a track day coming up this month and I'm having new PP installed. Considering the cost of a track day and you want the best performance, you want the best tires you can have on your bike.

#8 ·
It's not just cycles...... but cycles plus time.

Do a track day and get them good and hot...... then let them sit for 90 days and they are junk.

What do you want to learn ?

How to go fast ?

Or how to go slow on slippery slagged tires and/or fall down ?

Tom

#9 ·
There is no magic number. You need to find out your trackside or other "knowledgeable" and see if they need replacement. There are way to many factors that affect tire life.

#14 ·
Cool, guess I'll start shopping around for the best price. On a tight budget this year.
It just dawned om me while I was putting my new Speigler lines on that I had that much track time on them and was no where near the wear bars.

#15 ·
What if the variables are more constant?

Track only bike (600cc)
Running Novice
Pirelli DC3
Mounted before 1st trackday this past month

Is there at least an average number of trackdays people are getting out of tires like these? 5 at Novice pace? less/more?

My bike was setup by Turn One Racing so it should be as close as the stock suspension can be for my weight and riding.

#16 ·
On the street, I'll replace tires after 3 years or if the date code is 4 years back, even if they are not worn. I'll soon replace the PP's on the CBR for this reason, even though they have plenty of rubber left on them.

At the track, I've gone through a couple of sets of tires, even at my old, slow pace. The way I tell is that they start slipping when/where they should not and have not previously. That's an indication that they are losing their flexibility or have been through too many heat cycles. When the front and rear starts slipping in damn near every corner, that's an indication that the tires are gone if you have a number of track days on them.

#21 ·
im at 6 days on my current set of 2cts, 3 last summer, 2 at jennings in feb where they worked great and this 6th day at ACC this past weekend in the wet. the water was my only problem with them gripping but everyone has feeling that pain. after it dried up at the end of the day grip on them was just fine.

#24 ·
yeah those 2ct's seem to wear very well
mine look almost the same today as they did after my first track day and they seem to grip rather well too

all that said - I am talking 2ct's on an SV and you are talking on a gixxer 1000 - big difference in tire appetite there... and a really big difference in what happens if they sneak off without out. Be careful. I'd hate to see you dragging helmet because you saved on tires

I will have to grab another set of tires for the SV before too long, I am thinking about going with the Pure's (a bit lighter but mainly due to their improved wet performance) -- or maybe just another set of 2ct's

I bought a set of slicks and a set of the 190/55 trackday combo for the Aprila this year.. Kinda wish I hadn't. I'd like to try to keep it somewhat simple and not go changing tires around all the time - the slicks and the 190/55's obviously are going to be very different

#25 · (Edited)
im not skimping on tires, and im not pushing it to see how long i can make them last, the first time i hve any doubt about their condition thay are gone to be sold off as takeoffs since the centers are nearly unused :)

the tread depth is showing wear on mine something im paying close attention to, part of why i havent burned up the rear yet is the nature of my riding, i tend to be lazy with gettin on the gas opening up later on the exits where im more upright than many other people, this leads me to fall behind people rather than overtaking them even with a displacement advantage, its also what hinders me setting up passes.

im thinking about going to the pures next we'll see.. i do like the absolute consistency that the 2cts have given me through a multitude of conditions

#30 ·
I'm no expert, but street tires are supposed to take heat cycles. Obviously it's already in your head, so I'd get new tires for peace of mind, but ME, if I was riding those, I'd ride them till they were gone. Street tires are made to last through more than just a season of riding.

#31 ·
Not at a track day pace.....
Ridden severely you can ride the grip out of a tire in a handful of sessions.

Ridden more moderately they can last several events.

1/2 a season is a good gauge......until your butt is fully calibrated.

Tom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.