Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

? for the gun guys

2K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  bluebusa60544 
#1 ·
I have several guns that were in my father's closet when he passed away. I have no idea where they came from or if they were ever registered to anyone. I haven't tried to register them because I don't know their history and don't want to lose them or anything. But now I'm thinking I may want to sell/trade a couple for something I would shoot more. I will legally purchase and register whatever I get but can I sell what I have without a problem. My FOID has been applied for (renewal).

#2 ·
Can I quote Jay and Silent Bob?
"F*ck the po-lice, f*ck, f*ck, f*ck the po-lice"
I don't know the rules on this (sombody here will) but I'm sure the Gov't would like to see some paper generated for any transaction of these weapons. :rolleyes

#3 ·
I'm not trying to do something illegal, I'm trying not to do anything illegal.

Does a weapon have to be registered to the seller? If these guns have some kind of past will the buyer have a problem? Can I find out what's up without risk to myself or loss of the weapon?

You would think the gov. would be happy to make the guns legal again but then again they might prefer to just confiscate my stuff.

#4 ·
this is how you do it.

from one VALID F.O.I.D. card carry to ANOTHER, make a bill of sale for the buying party, what the date is, what the gun is, and its SER# on the bill, and let it be known you are selling TO and then both sign it, and its good to have a witness sign it.

once you do it that way, it is a legal transaction.

BTW E-mail the guns you are going to sell.

p.s. i wont buy beat up guns.

#7 ·
Blue, wasn't trying to imply any impropriety on your part. call me paranoid, but I just don't feel that the Gov't needs to know everything ya know :wink
I understand your looking at trading or selling the guns, and encourage you to CYA.
Good Luck :cheers

#8 ·
:laughing Actually my dad died about 8 years ago but thanks. These guns have been setting around that long. Since we got on the subject I pulled them out and checked them out and I don't think they are really worth anything. (who the hell buys a Sears & Roebuck shotgun?) The 12 gauge I was thinking of keeping so I took it out of the case and sighted down it. The fucking barrel is bent:laughing There is an old SXS shotgun. A little research shows that I seem to be missing about 10 inches of barrel:laughing I'm thinking 18 inches probably wasn't stock (and probably isn't legal):rolleyes So please disregard the whole "for sale" thing. The only thing of any interest is a .22 single shot rifle (it was my first gun and I guess someday it will be my son's first)

Hmmm...that double barrel with a pistol grip and some more hacksawing might be worth hanging on to.:evil

#10 ·
18" is the legal min length for a shotgun barrel. (better double check anyways:D)

Dont knock Sears and Roebucks firearms.:twofinger My first deer rifle was a Sears & Roebucks .30-30 lever action (still have and it works great:D).

Damn IL has some fucked up firearms laws. Paperwork for private selling? Glad WI isnt that anal.

#11 ·
From what I remember (being an FFL holder), you have to keep record of the gun model, serial #, and the buyer's FOID # for 10 yrs. It's probably better if you have your FOID, but I don't think it's required for the seller.

#13 ·
The BATF does not require paperwork for private gun sales, only for FFL dealers.
What the hell is a FOID? Firearm Owners ID? Is that a Chicago law, or an Illinois law?
Here in Oklahoma its no problem selling a gun to a friend. I haven't bought anything with paperwork in 20 years. Even with my Oklahoma Concealed Carry permit, I don't have to register any gun.

#14 ·
In illinois in order to own, carry, handle or purchase a weapon OR ammunition you must have a foid card. Firearm Owners IDentification. The state police run a background investigation upon you and say it's alright for this person to do all of the above.

#16 ·
You can sell them in Ohio without any paperwork. Second hand transactions are not regulated. Just in case you have nothing better to do and want to take a road trip.

Seriously, one of the best shows in the nation is the Ohio Gun Collectors Association show. There are several of them during the winter but the International Exposition Center, in Cleveland, is the largest gathering of class three, meaning fully automatic weapons, dealers in the nation. Essentially the IX Center would contain about three football fields and it's always filled to capacity.

Bill Taborn

#17 ·
(who the hell buys a Sears & Roebuck shotgun?) The 12 gauge I was thinking of keeping so I took it out of the case and sighted down it. The fucking barrel is bent:laughing l [/B]

Uhm I have one. Is it the semi auto?

If so I would be interested in some parts off it.
Its a great single shot at the moment, but I if I load extra shells in it , it jams.

PM me if your interested.

#18 ·
HooliganZX6 said:
Uhm I have one. Is it the semi auto?

If so I would be interested in some parts off it.
Its a great single shot at the moment, but I if I load extra shells in it , it jams.

PM me if your interested.

Have you checked the feed ramp for burrs? HAve you ever oiled the internals?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.