: Newbi To Gun Scene Here...

CHeYeNNe
10-31-2003, 11:47 AM
Hey guys/gals I'm new to the gun scene and have for sometime been wanting to get a handgun. I decided to take up the winter hobby of target shooting. I'm not sure what sort of gun I want yet, but do like the looks anyways of the 9mm.

Can anyone give me any info on a good beginner gun and any magazines out there for researching?

I've never owned a gun or hardly have any experience shooting guns. The only guns I've shot were a shotgun few times and a .22.

Any advice or comments are welcome.:thumbsup

Please if possible post pics of the type of gun you recommend or link.

BanditCPA
10-31-2003, 12:21 PM
Guess it depends on what your'e looking for. a ruger mk2 is great for cheap plinking, but not really the type for home protection or action pistol shooting. For an all around reliable 9mm I would go with a Glock. I personally like 45acp and like the 1911 style pistols (kimber seems to be the hot 1911 these days)

As for magazines Guns & ammo, NRA publications, Guns magazine are what I usually pick up at the newsstand

flinchy
10-31-2003, 12:23 PM
H&K USP is a nice all-around gun.

HDTony
10-31-2003, 12:26 PM
I just bought Kens, 9mm Beratta 92 Brigadier. I shot it for the first time last night and loved it. very happy with it.

***BJ***
10-31-2003, 12:28 PM
First, make sure you get your FOID; can't shoot without it. Go shooting with friends or go to a range where they rent pistols. Shoot a lot before you make a purchase, and make sure it is the right fit for you - controllable, comfortable, etc. A 9mm is a nice caliber to start with, as it is relatively small and the recoil is easy to manage. The choice is up to you - Welcome to the club! :cheers

crash11
10-31-2003, 12:35 PM
Sig Arms P239 9MM DA PST 8RD B

HDTony
10-31-2003, 12:40 PM
Smith and wesson just came out with a new 50 caliber revolver, it pretty much the hayabusa of the gun world. :D :D

LOL, guess what I'm buying next :D :D

crash11
10-31-2003, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by GsxrTony
Smith and wesson just came out with a new 50 caliber revolver, it pretty much the hayabusa of the gun world. :D :D

LOL, guess what I'm buying next :D :D

What in the hell are going to do with that 'hunt Buffalo'. :laughing

HDTony
10-31-2003, 12:48 PM
Hunt Harleys :laughing

Labdog
10-31-2003, 01:11 PM
I personally love the Sig-228 but i would NOT recommend the glock as a first handgun. Just personal preference is all. DEFINITLY get the foid card.

I would also (now mind you opinion) urge you to get a wheel gun for familiarity of shooting. Easy to care for and maintain.

I will tell you that getting a semi-auto is work to clean. NOW THE IMPORTANT PART--- No matter what you get CLEAN THE FOCKING PISS out of it and maintain it!!!! If you get a semi, break it down every day for a week to get familiar with it. A good weapons handler will tell you its like owning a vehicle. If you drive it everyday with no maintenace it will break down on you...........

HDTony
10-31-2003, 01:21 PM
Kelly is right. Also get something that is easy to break down, if its a pain in the ass you will never want to do it. I broke mine down a few hundred times before I ever made it to the range to actually shoot it.

A reolver would be a good idea, I'm thinking about buying one to teach my wife with.

I personally dont like the safety on the glocks. its great if your a cop, but if a kid gets ahold of that thing or something it would be too easy to fire.

mthal
10-31-2003, 01:30 PM
My advice would be to get a 1911 style .45 for sure. Learn to take care of the firearm. Read the Army Marksmanship Training Guide at www.bullseyepistol.com. Then PM me if you want to compete.

Meulen
10-31-2003, 01:38 PM
I personally dont like the safety on the glocks.

What safety???:laughing :laughing

My dad just got .22 mag ruger revolver. Not alot of gun but alot of fun, great to learn with and cheap to shoot.;)

I personally like my 9mm beretta. Easy to break down and clean, not too big, not too small, and not intensely expensive to shoot.

Ducman
10-31-2003, 01:42 PM
If you are just going to do some plinking or target shooting. get a .22. You can shoot of 1/10 the cost of center fire rounds.
I have a ruger .22 rifle and pistol. Get something that fit your hand and feels balanced. Both of the above firearms are inexpensive but well made. you can shoot all day long of just a few buck. $10 for 500 rounds compared to $10 for 50 for .45acp

guns are like bikes, you wouldn't recommend starting on an Gsxr1000 as you shouldn't start with a .45. Start small, learn how to handle a gun safetly, learn trigger and grip control and pressure. then step up to a larger caliber for home defense.
If you are only going to shoot paper. go .22 your wallet will thank you

HDTony
10-31-2003, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Ducman
If you are just going to do some plinking or target shooting. get a .22. You can shoot of 1/10 the cost of center fire rounds.
I have a ruger .22 rifle and pistol. Get something that fit your hand and feels balanced. Both of the above firearms are inexpensive but well made. you can shoot all day long of just a few buck. $10 for 500 rounds compared to $10 for 50 for .45acp

guns are like bikes, you wouldn't recommend starting on an Gsxr1000 as you shouldn't start with a .45. Start small, learn how to handle a gun safetly, learn trigger and grip control and pressure. then step up to a larger caliber for home defense.

Yup I've had an old Ruger .22 for years that I learned how to shoot with. Its cheap as hell to shoot which is nice.

speaking of that I need to get my ruger looked at, seems to be jamming a lot, and rounds dont go into the chamber as easy as they should. I suspect its because my dad used to shoot it all the time and not clean it when I was really young. anyone know a god shop that can work on it?

BanditCPA
10-31-2003, 02:50 PM
Kelly is right. Also get something that is easy to break down, if its a pain in the ass you will never want to do it. I broke mine down a few hundred times before I ever made it to the range to actually shoot it.

A reolver would be a good idea, I'm thinking about buying one to teach my wife with.

I personally dont like the safety on the glocks. its great if your a cop, but if a kid gets ahold of that thing or something it would be too easy to fire.

Sorry, but I disagree re. Glocks. They are stone simple handguns, fieldstrip easy and has the safe action (double action). and as everyone should know never keep an unsupervised handgun w/ a round in the chamber.

as far as it being easy for a kid to shoot, any kind under 6 wouldn't be able to chamber a round in a large caliber semiauto (let alone have access to one) and older should know better, if their parents teach them to be responsible.

Ducman
10-31-2003, 03:04 PM
Yup I've had an old Ruger .22 for years that I learned how to shoot with. Its cheap as hell to shoot which is nice.

speaking of that I need to get my ruger looked at, seems to be jamming a lot, and rounds dont go into the chamber as easy as they should. I suspect its because my dad used to shoot it all the time and not clean it when I was really young. anyone know a god shop that can work on it?

I sent mine back to Ruger when it became difficult to field strip. They did a great job fixing it and turned it around quickly

HDTony
10-31-2003, 03:18 PM
I sent mine back to Ruger when it became difficult to field strip. They did a great job fixing it and turned it around quickly

What did they charge you?

crash11
10-31-2003, 03:25 PM
anyone know a god shop that can work on it?

There's a gun shop in Lincolnwood on Devon ave just past McCormick 'spelling?'ave. I wish I could remember their name.

RickC1957
10-31-2003, 03:37 PM
SIG P226;)

And here is the best advice..........ready????

Don't take advive from Ken, you'll end up buying a cannon, you'll be scared to fire, or some lame ass Berratta, that you'll bought from him:rofl

HDTony
10-31-2003, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by RickC1957
SIG P226;)

or some lame ass Berratta, that you'll bought from him:rofl

HEY!!! I resemble that remark :laughing

Meulen
10-31-2003, 03:41 PM
HEY!!! I resemble that remark :laughing

Might wanna edit that so ya don't sound like some hick from the boonies with a gun who doesn't know how to spell :jester :jester

RickC1957
10-31-2003, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Crazy
Might wanna edit that so ya don't sound like some hick from the boonies with a gun who doesn't know how to spell :jester :jester

:rofl :rofl

Brian is awake:jester

Ducman
10-31-2003, 03:43 PM
What did they charge you?

It was free because it was a fit and finish problem. they might charge if it a lack of maintence problem. Give them a call

crash11
10-31-2003, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by RickC1957
SIG P226;)

That's a sweet pistol. If I didn't already have a handgun 'SIG P220'; I'd pick one of those up in second. Then again I could use a 9mm.:laughing

I don't think he's willing to part with that much cashola for a pistolola.:jester Since, he's just starting out in the sport, but I've been wrong before. The SIG P226 is a gun that you'll end up keeping for the long term. I think it's best to start out with a good gun.

aptyp
10-31-2003, 03:59 PM
Crash11, the store you are talking about is called Shore Galleries and it is located on Devon ave where it crosses McCormick Blvd. it's located between the Currency Xchange and the dry cleaners. Ask for Evan, if he thinks you are a good guy, he'll help you out like nobody else. He has spent so much time with me explaining this and that and the other thing, that I was just amazed.

aptyp
10-31-2003, 04:02 PM
By the way, what is it with glock owners, it's just a gun not a lifestyle. Relax...

I think anything you get is going to be just fine, quality of most manufacturers is amazing now a days. I say, go to several gun stores, see what they have available, hold it in your hand, ask opinions of people who work there and check out what people say on the internet. Then go to Evan and buy it from him :D

crash11
10-31-2003, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by aptyp
Crash11, the store you are talking about is called Shore Galleries and it is located on Devon ave where it crosses McCormick Blvd. it's located between the Currency Xchange and the dry cleaners. Ask for Evan, if he thinks you are a good guy, he'll help you out like nobody else. He has spent so much time with me explaining this and that and the other thing, that I was just amazed.

That's right 'shore galleries'. I don't know why I couldn't remember that. Thanks

Blade Runner
10-31-2003, 04:14 PM

Ditto, I love plinking with my Ruger. You will be a better shot quicker if you run with a .22. Importantly, the gun is basically free if you look at the cost of operation vs. a 9mm or .45. After shooting the .22 if you still want a 9 or .45 go get one.

Odysseys
11-01-2003, 01:27 PM
now you see the advise i gave you cheyenne?
;)

let me know when you get your foid card, we will go sample a bunch of guns, just save up around 100 bucks for that day, and you will find what you like, but me personally i think the USP9mm fits my hands very well, and alot of close fuctions can be done easyly, the only sucky thing i hate about it, is you must buy H&K lights to go on there very own type of rail, nothing else will and can go on it as the way it was designed.

Ducman
11-01-2003, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Odysseys
now you see the advise i gave you cheyenne?
;)

let me know when you get your foid card, we will go sample a bunch of guns, just save up around 100 bucks for that day, and you will find what you like, but me personally i think the USP9mm fits my hands very well, and alot of close fuctions can be done easyly, the only sucky thing i hate about it, is you must buy H&K lights to go on there very own type of rail, nothing else will and can go on it as the way it was designed.

Surefire make lights that fit the USP full size
http://www.surefire.com/cgi-bin/main.pl?pgm=co_disp&func=displ&sesent=00&carfnbr=114

I have one of their personal lights, the 6p model. The are extremely bright for the size. unforuntely the batteries don't last very long. 1 hr with their standard bulb and 20 min with the 120 lumen bulb on the

CHeYeNNe
11-01-2003, 11:58 PM
:thumbsup

Thanks alot for all the different advice. I went to Mega Sports to get the FOID card going. HOLY SHIT do they have alot of guns and some of the prices WHOA!

I'm looking to spend in the $500 range to start. I think I'm gonna do what Ken and few others told was to hit the range with different guns and see what feels right. I don't wanna get to heavy or big of a gun that doesn't fit my hand.

I appreciate ALL of the advice and any other you can think of.:cheers

Now just gotta wait on the FOID ;)

Thanks again :bow