: Got a rooster today

2weelpilot
11-09-2003, 02:52 PM
Only managed one rooster today. Had opportunities for a couple others.

Looking forward to our upcoming hunt

Meulen
11-09-2003, 03:16 PM
Great Mike!!!!!!!! How did Diamond do???

RickC1957
11-09-2003, 03:38 PM
Excellent Mike:thumbsup

Odysseys
11-09-2003, 06:47 PM
from looking at the picture brian, it looks like mikes son went and fetched the bird...lmao

good job mike ;)

2weelpilot
11-09-2003, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by Crazy
Great Mike!!!!!!!! How did Diamond do???

Thanks guys

She did OK Brian...I need to keep reminding myself that shes only 8 months old and still tires quickly. Shes getting there...next year will be her time to shine Im hoping. I just need to find time to keep putting her on birds:cheers

Im going to try and skip out and chase some birds a couple of mornings this week.:p

2weelpilot
11-09-2003, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by Odysseys
from looking at the picture brian, it looks like mikes son went and fetched the bird...lmao

good job mike ;)

smart ass !:twofinger

logtar
11-10-2003, 07:35 AM
Mike are you trainning Diamond yourself?

and Good job ;)

Ody, that was f*cking hilarious :rofl

Jack
11-10-2003, 08:53 AM
Here They Come To Snuff The Rooster..... ala Alice In Chains.

2weelpilot
11-10-2003, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by logtar
Mike are you trainning Diamond yourself?

and Good job :)

Thanks

I am training her myself.
Its not easy though. Everyone probably assumes that all of these dogs do this naturally. Its bred in them but takes ALOT to bring it out of them. Ive spent countless hours with her this summer and fall working on things. Theres a big difference between retrieving a tennis ball or frisbee and a live bird-without shredding it ! Like I mentioned shes still only 8 months old so Im not pushing her too hard. Next year will be her time to shine Im hoping!

I spend a lot of time at other forums picking guys brains on how to properly train with the limited time that I have. I dont have the funds or desire to send her away for 6 months to come back fully trained. A freind of mine sent his 10 month old black lab away for 6 months to the tune of $5,000. He also missed 6 of the best months of that dogs life. Diamond will never be a field champion but she'll be just fine for me.

:)

BTW, my neighbors think Im nuts sitting out in the field behind my house throwing dead birds, whistles etc.:laughing

Meulen
11-10-2003, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by 2weelpilot
:)

BTW, my neighbors think Im nuts sitting out in the field behind my house throwing dead birds, whistles etc.:laughing

Mike,

I finally got Skyy over the car sickness. You think I can bring her over and work with you guys with her? I have no desire to train her with birds, but I love to toss tennis balls with her.:D

2weelpilot
11-10-2003, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Crazy
Mike,

I finally got Skyy over the car sickness. You think I can bring her over and work with you guys with her? I have no desire to train her with birds, but I love to toss tennis balls with her.:D

Any time Brian ! It sucks that it gets dark so soon now. Not enough hours of daylight

Will she be OK out of the fence or will she be gone? Doesnt matter to me, just curious.

Meulen
11-10-2003, 11:37 AM
Any time Brian ! It sucks that it gets dark so soon now. Not enough hours of daylight

Will she be OK out of the fence or will she be gone? Doesnt matter to me, just curious.

True,

It gets dark too soon now. We might wanna wait till summer.

Sometimes she's gone and sometimes I can keep her attention. But with another dog chances are the biggest problem were gonna have is the two of them trying to play. If diamond isn't gone, Skyy will probaly stick with her.

That's how we were working with Abby. We'd go to the dog park with Anne's friend and her Champion flyball dogs. she tended to stick with the pack that way. Unfortunately Skyy would get sick in the car so we'd have to leave her home.

Actually maybe I'd be better off taking Abby. Either way Next summer gives them some good time to age and settle down some.

2weelpilot
11-10-2003, 11:54 AM
I think we can get together before next summer:laughing

Let em run in the yard. Diamond doesnt stray away. Shes staying pretty close and if not she comes back to the whistle.

Meulen
11-10-2003, 12:01 PM
she comes back to the whistle.

Sweet....you'll have to show me that trick.:D :D

I guess we can do it on a weekend or something.

2weelpilot
11-10-2003, 12:03 PM
No tricks...just repitition... again and again and again

Meulen
11-10-2003, 12:08 PM
No tricks...just repitition... again and again and again

easy to say but when ya let them go and they don't come back it's hard to build reptition on that.:laughing :laughing

How does your sources say to train them to stay close???

2weelpilot
11-10-2003, 12:14 PM
a 50 foot check cord. a lot of praise. a whistle. more praise.

blow the whistle... pull the cord to start the dog back.if they dont come all the way back.blow it again. give them a tug. it wont take long to sink in but she will forget it or think she can get away with not coming back if you dont keep practicing. It has to become the only option-coming back

Ive learned a lot from www.retrievertraining.net although those guys are so serious it gets frustruating sometimes. Most of those dogs are from champion bloodlines and can cost upwards of $15,000 if theyre field finished. I dont think Diamond has many relatives on that site:laughing

This is more fun for me than anything:cheers

Meulen
11-10-2003, 12:28 PM
Ive learned a lot from www.retrievertraining.net although those guys are so serious it gets frustruating sometimes. Most of those dogs are from champion bloodlines and can cost upwards of $15,000 if theyre field finished. I dont think Diamond has many relatives on that site:laughing

This is more fun for me than anything:cheers

Abbey and sky seem to have learned when they are on or off the cords. :(

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out. I think sky will be really good when she gets a bit older. I can't get her out of those puppy spurts of energy though. Abbey seems to get better everyday but we don't think she's lab so I'm not sure retrieving is in her. She seems to have a mind of her own.

Oh well. They are both rescues so I don't know what I expect. They're still both fun as hell and I love em' to death.:thumbsup