: Death

EndlessRR
11-24-2003, 11:37 AM
If a gun were pulled out on you, what are you going to do? Say the "bad guy" is 3 ft. away, what do you do?

Meulen
11-24-2003, 11:41 AM
3 feet away is within an arms reach. If I get that gut feeling he's gonna kill me, I'm taking a chance and grabin' for it.

BusaDave
11-24-2003, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by EndlessRR
If a gun were pulled out on you, what are you going to do? Say the "bad guy" is 3 ft. away, what do you do?

Depends...

As Brian said, he's within arm's reach. What kind of weapon does he/she have?

EndlessRR
11-24-2003, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by BusaDave
Depends...

As Brian said, he's within arm's reach. What kind of weapon does he/she have?

Any type of handgun. The reason why im asking is that the world is crazy, as you all know, just wanted to know what everyone would do in a situation. Damn well ain't no Jet Li's here..

Vcook
11-24-2003, 12:19 PM
Damn well ain't no Jet Li's here..

I am. i'd kung fu his ass.

Odysseys
11-24-2003, 12:27 PM
tell yeah what when someone does it to me withien 3 feet, there gonna wish they never pointed it at me.

RickC1957
11-24-2003, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Odysseys
tell yeah what when someone does it to me withien 3 feet, there gonna wish they never pointed it at me.

Ditto

bwa
11-24-2003, 12:39 PM
It depends on the situation. Am I alone, or with family/friends? What are the chances he's gonna use it? If I'm by myself, and looks like there is a good chance he'll use it, I'd try to jump his ass and try to knock the gun off.

ERIC B
11-24-2003, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by bwa
It depends on the situation. Am I alone, or with family/friends? What are the chances he's gonna use it? If I'm by myself, and looks like there is a good chance he'll use it, I'd try to jump his ass and try to knock the gun off.

What he said and hope for the best, and then use it on the BG.

CRAZe Inc
11-24-2003, 01:26 PM
I don't know I guess I've seen too many movies where the good guy actually doesn't get shot trying one of those moves and don't believe it anymore. I just have this thought that the guy is just gonna shot your ass as soon as you lunge for it.

Labdog
11-24-2003, 02:39 PM
Iguess i would asess the situation first as in 1, is the hammer back? is the safety on? is his hand trembling slightly, are his eyes shfty as in looking around to see who's watching.... Is his arm outstretched? (just a few things that come naturally to look for.)

if he is shaking, shifty, and arm stretched out and pistol not hammer locked then he will be a sorry SOB! (unless he only wants money)

if he is calm collective and has his arm slightly bent and in the dbl action mode then i would attempt to give him what he wants (monitary) but if he wants more than than always put your hands in front of your chest like you are giving up, act really scared so he is over confident, then leaning to the left a touch LUNGE INTO HIS ARM PIT which is holding the gun and at the same time your left hand should try to hit his forearm area and your right hand should should be held like a claw so you can push his eyes into his head or if you miss you can also break his nose in the same motion which will temp blind him. Now that he is at a disadvantage either run, or collapse his windpipe but do not forget the gun. ensure you are in no danger.

Meulen
11-24-2003, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Labdog
then leaning to the left a touch LUNGE INTO HIS ARM PIT

Unless he's a left handed assaliant. Then lean to the right.

Scary I know that:D

BABETTE
11-24-2003, 02:52 PM
That's scary to think about. :( I guess it depends.....am I alone? If so then I wouldn't worry so much about him shooting whoever I'm with. If he's a pro (steady, calm, etc) then I'd just give him the money. I never carry that much with me, so no big loss. I'd rather live to fight another day. I don't wear expensive jewelry so no big loss there either. He can have it if he's pointing it at me, three feet or not, all it takes is a second for the gun to go off. :(

BUT, If he wants more than money -- well he's gonna have to use both hands and (hopefully put the gun away). I'm not making it easy on him that's for sure. I learned alot in Kenpo class I plan to use it. I hate to put it into use cause I'm not sure how well I'd do but backed into a corner I'll make it less than worthwhile that's for sure. :(

Odysseys
11-24-2003, 03:02 PM
guys for real!!!!!!!

if a guy pulls a gun on you, COMPLY!!!!!

and only if you FEEL your life is FOR SURE going to be taken, and you have the will to fight for life. then do what you can.

trying to disarm a person with a loaded weapon single action or not, takes ALOT of PRATICE! and it is NEVER 100% for sure, no matter how much you train.

there is classes for this, and if you guys want i will look into it, and of course it COST!

but my advise after going threw classes like this is all is for you guys is PREVENTION, cause alot of people here dont have the abilty to train like that on a daily or weekly basis.

and the whole point to disarming is that, not to divert or draw attention, but its actually to get that weapon away from that person once you make THE CORRECT!!!! move.

11-24-2003, 03:04 PM

I'd say, " Damn Ken, I was just kidding."

:evil

EndlessRR
11-24-2003, 03:17 PM
Ok, let me rephrase this. Ok, some bad guy with a gun has the intent of kiling you, say he was some guy that you fucked with a long long time ago, just came back to show you his lil' friend. Hes in front of you, gun at you chest, 3 ft away, with the intent to kill. But at the same time, hes blabbin' on and on about this and that. SHould you A) Go for his gun B) Lunge at him hoping he won't have time to shoot C) Cry like a bitch D) Bust some Bruce Lee action on his ass . You can also add your own option.

logtar
11-24-2003, 03:24 PM
If the point is directly at your chest and the preson is going on... there first thing is to deflect the weapon to either side of you body. (Depending of what hand the gun is being held with)

If you know how, the first objective after you are out of the line of fire is to disarm. If you have no clue then it is to disable the person, Gauge the eyes out, kick to the groind to disorient, then gauge eyes out.

Disarming is not hard, but you do have to practice and know the basics. The best thing to do is to take a self defense course that teaches you how to disarm someone with a gun or with a cutting weapon.

Ducman
11-24-2003, 04:15 PM
We practice this in my Krav Maga class all the time, Knives too
With a Gun pointed at you, you can grab the gun, move out of the way and disarm the BG very quickly.

We practice with toy guns, you CAN get out of the way before the BG pulls the trigger

They teach all sorts of great stuff...like how to stab a BG with his own knife when he has it to your throat from behind:evil

YZFRob
11-24-2003, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Ducman
We practice this in my Krav Maga class all the time, Knives too
With a Gun pointed at you, you can grab the gun, move out of the way and disarm the BG very quickly.

We practice with toy guns, you CAN get out of the way before the BG pulls the trigger

They teach all sorts of great stuff...like how to stab a BG with his own knife when he has it to your throat from behind:evil

We did that in Kyuki-do class. disarming someone is part of the brown, red and blackbelt tests.

My favorite was when teh attacker came at you with the knife coming down, you grab his wrist and make him stab himself in the groin.:laughing

Ducman
11-24-2003, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by YZFRob
We did that in Kyuki-do class. disarming someone is part of the brown, red and blackbelt tests.

My favorite was when teh attacker came at you with the knife coming down, you grab his wrist and make him stab himself in the groin.:laughing

For Krav, when they attack you straight on, you block them at the wrist, while punching them in the face, then you grab the back of their head. knee them in the face while holding the knife arm with your other hand. as they go down you put them in an arm bar and take the knife away to do what you like. I like to stab them in the back of the melon:D It all happens in a split sec.

Boxuin
11-24-2003, 09:02 PM
If their only 3 ft away they made the mistake of getting to close. Almost anyone can make a move faster then the shooter reation time, if you know what your doing you can disarm him; if you don't you're dead. It's actually pretty easy to peal the gun out of the shooters hand if you know the moves, but like Ken said I wouldn't recomend trying it your first or second time in the real situation.

Odysseys
11-24-2003, 09:57 PM
i would say i was sorry, then say sorry when i pull the trigger each time hitting a pain receptor, till i run out of bullets, then give a blood tranfusion, then take the butt of the gun, start smashing digits, then his nuts, then his balls, stick the gun up his ass bore up with 1 round left, then keep hitting him in the where the balls use to be till it blows his head off.

Labdog
11-25-2003, 07:06 AM
2 words Ken..............

Anger Management!:evil
They can cure that thing you have ya know..........:evil :evil :D

Really what would you do?:D (J/K):jester

BanditCPA
11-25-2003, 07:21 AM
Ok, let me rephrase this. Ok, some bad guy with a gun has the intent of kiling you, say he was some guy that you fucked with a long long time ago, just came back to show you his lil' friend. Hes in front of you, gun at you chest, 3 ft away, with the intent to kill. But at the same time, hes blabbin' on and on about this and that. SHould you A) Go for his gun B) Lunge at him hoping he won't have time to shoot C) Cry like a bitch D) Bust some Bruce Lee action on his ass . You can also add your own option.

I saw a demonstration at a gun show when I was an FFL dealer similar to your situation (the dealer didn't think highly of the Berretta model 92, and told someone to draw (unloaded) on him 3 feet away...the dealer had the slide and barrel stripped off the frame before the owner got it chest level.) If you know what you're doing I'd say fight (or at least go out fighting)

Bill Taborn
11-25-2003, 07:22 AM
Prayers having been said, you might as well go for the disarming move. If you can stop him from using a weapon on you, maybe you can stop him from using it on someone else.

Bill Taborn

EndlessRR
11-25-2003, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by BanditCPA
I saw a demonstration at a gun show when I was an FFL dealer similar to your situation (the dealer didn't think highly of the Berretta model 92, and told someone to draw (unloaded) on him 3 feet away...the dealer had the slide and barrel stripped off the frame before the owner got it chest level.) If you know what you're doing I'd say fight (or at least go out fighting)

I also heard that Beretta's were the easiest type's of guns to disassemble.[ Ala Jet Li style in Lethal Weapon]

Honda4Ever
12-01-2003, 08:12 PM
My .02 cents....be trained before you go defend yourself most of the time. Also, remember the case where the guy snuck in a woman's chimney so he could rob her, fell on some knives, sued her, and won. That guy may just sue you!

Labdog
12-01-2003, 10:00 PM
Dead men DON'T sue!;)

Nickyfan
12-01-2003, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by Labdog

Really what would you do?:D (J/K):jester

Shoot the hostage.:jester

Nickyfan
12-01-2003, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by Honda4Ever
My .02 cents....be trained before you go defend yourself most of the time. Also, remember the case where the guy snuck in a woman's chimney so he could rob her, fell on some knives, sued her, and won. That guy may just sue you!

if you cut yourself up a bit, mess up your hair, clothes etc.. then violate him with those same knives, kill him, then claim self defense;)

Hawkeye
12-02-2003, 09:17 AM
i have tossed around the idea of taking up classes for self defense. i was a 3rd degree brown belt in shotokan karate but that was years ago for that. I still remember a great deal but I have thought about krav maga or some other fighting styles. for those who are up on this stuff, what would you recommend, how much are they and where are they located in reference to Naperville. Most importantly, being that i am a tall skinny punk, i want the most of my body size with the proper fighting style. i know that krav is very aggressive with the proper striking points which makes me want to go that route but I am open to suggestions. I do want something on the aggressive side. Ideas?

Vcook
12-02-2003, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by Hawkeye
.... Most importantly, being that i am a tall skinny punk..... I am open to suggestions.....Ideas?

hit the weights, dude!

Hawkeye
12-02-2003, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by Vcook
hit the weights, dude!

not quite what I was looking for but suggestion noted. NEXT!

logtar
12-02-2003, 09:46 AM
If you are tall and skinny you will have awesome reach, which will probably make a striking style fit you better(TKD, KickBoxing).

KravMaga is an awesome style, but not really an art(IMHO). If you are interested on self defense, it is very practical and real life oriented, you cannot go wrong with it from that point of view. I am not sure of any schools in your area, but the internet is your friend. I know there are places downtown and in the north side.

You asked for some advice, so here goes my 2 cents.

The art is really not as important as you would think, whot the teacher is, to me is the most important factor. You really need to shop around for a teacher that will fit what you are looking for.

I would say if you already have some Karate basis, go either the TaeKwonDo route and learn some good kicking combined Hapkido which will do a lot for your close range combat and grappling. There are schools that will have both since they are Korean arts. This would be one of the easyest things to find.

If you are looking for something totally agressive and practical, take up kick boxing, Thai if you can find the right school. That will get you the most sparring experience you can get, and it is very agressive.

Last, KravMaga is kick ass, but I would use it more as a compliment to your trainning, find out when there is going to be a seminar and sign up.

Always remember that Martial Arts really are oriented towards self defense, discipline and honor. No good teacher is going to train you for a month and teach you pressure points and how to use them. Martial Arts are a way of life and not a let me learn how to kick ass in a bar brawl.

Hawkeye
12-02-2003, 10:14 AM
when i say aggressive, i am not meaning to start fights or needlessly jump into them. I am thinking of krav because of the real life applications to the style. From everything i have heard about that style they teach you how to defend knives, guns, sticks or whatever and how real life street fighting goes. Meaning I would be able to defend myself with real life applications and devastating blows that will allow me a better chance to walk away from a bad situation. I know this isnt just a month class then i give up. I took karate for 4 years. I understand it is a way of living and takes dedication. remember, I said I am a smaller framed person so i highly doubt i would go around picking fights. i just want to get a level of knowledge for defensive purposes that no one else can look at me as easy prey. as it is now, i still know/remember enough that i can effectively defend myself with powerful blows but i want to increase that knowledge.

Ducman
12-02-2003, 07:34 PM
I take Krav in CT if you have any questions feel free to ask.
It is very aggressive self defense, but easy and quick to learn