: Kankakee River State Park Hunt

2weelpilot
12-20-2003, 03:04 PM
I decided to take a spin down to the Kankakee River State Park this morning to do some pheasant hunting.

We got one and missed one. Only stayed for 90 minutes. We probably wouldve got our 2 bird limit if we wouldve stayed. They release 2 birds per person. Not bad odds.

Diamond did good..she put up both roosters and made a great retrieve on the one I got. I completely forgot to take pictures afterwards. A great morning to be out in the field. Added a little more breast meat to the freezer. I think I now have enough to make for Xmas dinner.

Has anyone else eaten their birds from the hunt last weekend?

HDTony
12-20-2003, 04:51 PM
Mines all trimed up and in the freezer. I need a good recipe to pass along to the wife.

2weelpilot
12-20-2003, 10:30 PM
go to the store and get a marinade from Lawreys or one of the others. I like Sesame Ginger or Honey terriyaki. Marinade it for a few hours and shishkabob it with a big chunk of onion a big mushroom and maybe a pepper if you like them. Either grill it fast or I use the Foreman Grill inside.

Me Likey :cheers

RickC1957
12-21-2003, 08:05 AM
I have eaten mine already. I trimmed them, soaked them in beer over night. Then cut into 2" squares, made a breading mixture of flour, breadcrumbs, corn meal and cajun spices. I pan fried them, until golden brown, served with my version of dirty rice, and stirfried veggies. I think I had about 3 pounds of meat, boy, it went fast between 4 people. :)