: Great letter by the guy in Willmette who shot the burgler in the trib and suntimes


Meulen
01-22-2004, 09:10 AM
Why I used a gun to defend my family and my home
Wilmette man explains his drastic actions


E-mail this story
Printer-friendly format
Search archives
See newspaper ads


By Hale DeMar
Hale DeMar lives in Wilmette
Published January 22, 2004

Many of us have experienced a sense of violation upon returning to our homes, only to find that someone has been there. Someone has trespassed in our bedrooms, looting and stealing. And many of us, still haunted by that violation, will never again have a sense of security in our own homes.

Few of us, however, have awakened to realize that we have been violated as we slept in our own beds, doors locked, as the family dog patrolled the home. For me, the seconds--until I found my children were still safely tucked in their beds--were horrifying. The thought that one of my children might have been hurt or abducted was incomprehensible.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wilmette police were called and in routine fashion they came, took the report and with little concern left, promising to increase surveillance. Little comfort, since the invader now had the keys to my family's home and automobiles. The police informed me that this was not an uncommon event in east Wilmette and offered their condolences.

What is one to do when a criminal proceeds, undeterred by a 90-pound German shepherd, a security alarm system and a property lit up like an outdoor stadium? And now he has our house keys and an inventory of the things he'd like to call his own. Would the police patrol my dead-end street as effectively the second time as they had the first? Would my small children be unharmed the next time? Would the criminal be satisfied with another automobile, another television, or would he feel the need to climb the staircase to the bedrooms, perhaps for a watch or a ring or a wallet, again risking little?

Would my children wake to find a masked figure, clad in total black, in their bedroom doorway, a vision that might haunt them for years? Would the police come again and fill out yet another report and at what point should I feel comfortable that the "bad guy" got everything he wanted and wouldn't return a third time?

I went to the safe where my licensed and registered gun was kept, loaded it for the very first time and tucked it under the mattress of my bed. I assured my frightened children "that Daddy would deal with the bad guy ... if he ever returned."

Little did I imagine that this brazen thief was waiting in the back-yard bushes as I tucked my children into bed.

Fifteen minutes after bedtime, the security alarm went off. Three minutes after the alarm was triggered the alarm company alerted the police to the situation and 10 minutes later the first police car pulled up to my home, but only after another call was made to 911 by a trembling, half-naked father.

I suppose some would have grabbed their children and cowered in their bedroom for 13 minutes, praying that the police would get there in time to stop the criminal from climbing the stairs and confronting the family in a bedroom, trembling, dreading the sound of the door being kicked in.

That's not the fear I wanted my children to experience and it is not the cowardly act that I want my children to remember me by.

Until you are shocked by a piercing security alarm in the middle of the night and met in your kitchen by a masked invader as your children shudder in their beds, until you confront that very real nightmare, please don't suggest that some village trustee "knows better" and that he or she can effectively ask the police to protect your family from the miscreants that this society has produced.

The man who has been charged by police with invading my home has been arrested numerous times.

He was convicted of residential burglary in Minnesota. He served time last year after pleading guilty to felony motor vehicle theft in Minnesota.

He was convicted in 1997 of retail theft in Cook and DuPage Counties and in 1995 of drunk driving in Georgia.

How many other family homes has he violated, how many innocent lives have been affected, how many police reports have gone into some back-office file cabinet, only to become some abstract statistic? How is it that these people are free to roam our streets, violating our homes and threatening the safety of our children?

If my actions have spared only one family from the distress and trauma that this habitual criminal has caused others, then I have served my civic duty and taken one criminal off of our streets, something that our impotent criminal justice system failed to do despite numerous arrests and convictions.

2weelpilot
01-22-2004, 09:16 AM
Thats a great letter.

I share his thoughts:)

HDTony
01-22-2004, 09:20 AM
Very nice. I'm sending that off to Goveror Rod

swerve
01-22-2004, 09:22 AM
That is so true. I agree with everything he said. We are the victums people seem to forget. mabey our friends with 9 small buddies can remind these people.

Sticky
01-22-2004, 10:41 AM
I think it's great that he shot the guy, too bad he didn't kill the bastard.

Also too bad that he wasn't current with his firearms registration and Wilmette has a ban on handguns.

phozed
01-22-2004, 10:51 AM
I'm very pro-gun - that guy should get a reward, not arrested for shooting that scumbag - but this story makes me think of the simpsons every time:

MOE:Yeah, so last night I was closing up the bar, when some young punk comes in and tries to stick me up.

The crowd gasps.

SIDESHOW MEL:Whatever did you do, Moe?

MOE:Well, it coulda been a real ugly situation, but I managed to shoot him in the spine. (crowd applaud)

Pirate
01-22-2004, 10:56 AM
So, he shot the guy?? And I'm not sure... but I think I would change my f'in locks! What's wrong with this dude? Some guys got keys to your house, and you're not gonna change your locks??? Hmmm.... :rolleyes

Odysseys
01-22-2004, 10:57 AM
good reading for someone thinking, that it will never happen...or ever happen again.

Sticky
01-22-2004, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Pirate
So, he shot the guy?? And I'm not sure... but I think I would change my f'in locks! What's wrong with this dude? Some guys got keys to your house, and you're not gonna change your locks??? Hmmm.... :rolleyes

He was broken into on a Sunday and couldn't get the locks changed on Monday. The cops didn't seem to help him much either.


I'm pretty anti-gun, but I can't blame the guy.

Pirate
01-22-2004, 11:36 AM
AND... the guy never even loaded this gun before?? So, he's never shot this gun before?? Had he ever shot a gun before?? That's the part that bothers me... Some guy who thinks he's gonna be the hero, and he's never even fired a weapon before. Oh boy... :rolleyes

Ocean
01-22-2004, 11:40 AM
Great story....Wilmette leave this guy alone...

Sticky
01-22-2004, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by phozed
I'm very pro-gun - that guy should get a reward, not arrested for shooting that scumbag - but this story makes me think of the simpsons every time:

MOE:Yeah, so last night I was closing up the bar, when some young punk comes in and tries to stick me up.

The crowd gasps.

SIDESHOW MEL:Whatever did you do, Moe?

MOE:Well, it coulda been a real ugly situation, but I managed to shoot him in the spine. (crowd applaud)

I think you missed the point. I took that as mocking the absurd obsession that our society has with guns. That would be more consistant with Matt Groenig's work.

crash11
01-22-2004, 12:00 PM
I can sympathize with the guy. I had my 'family' home broken into twice when I was 12. If it were me I would have shot the guy to death; then place a knife in his hands and when the police arrive I would claim self defense 'I was in fear for my life & my family's life'. Who's to say I could have done better in that situtation. I'm not a trained officer of the law. That burglar got off easy if you ask me.

Labdog
01-22-2004, 12:04 PM
1st off --congrats to the home owner for possibly ending nightmares and future nightmares of his family. Secondly--


CENTER MASS!! Always aim center mass.

Jeff--Think about it. Could he possibly of meant never loaded the gun to keep in the house outside of the safe?

As bad as it sounds the guns in my safe are unloaded but the hidden handgun safe in my room (finger tip comb for fast opening) has a fully loaded semi auto ready to be used. All within beds reach. In the bedroom safe i carry 6 shells of 00-buck for my legal 18" 12 guage street sweeper that is close by as well.

I pray i never have to use it and its not that i do WANT to use it but in the eventuality that i DO use it---That is 1 dead mother FU**ER!! Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6!

BusaDave
01-22-2004, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Labdog

Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6!

And both is better than living with the fact you stood by helpless while a loved one was raped and/or killed.

I can understand peoples' reservations with guns to a point, but I am a supporter of the 2nd Amendment and a persons right to secure and protect their family and property.

The primary function of the police is to arrest criminals, NOT prevent crime, and they and the criminals are the ones that benefit the most from disarming the citizenry.

With all this talk of the Patriot Act and making it easier for the government to investigate "suspects", we should be making it easier for the people to protect and defend their rights, family, and property, not harder.

HDTony
01-22-2004, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by BusaDave


The primary function of the police is to arrest criminals, NOT prevent crime, and they and the criminals are the ones that benefit the most from disarming the citizenry.

With all this talk of the Patriot Act and making it easier for the government to investigate "suspects", we should be making it easier for the people to protect and defend their rights, family, and property, not harder.


The planets are in alignment. Dave and I are in full agreement :D

SloRoll
01-22-2004, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by BusaDave
And both is better than living with the fact you stood by helpless while a loved one was raped and/or killed.

I can understand peoples' reservations with guns to a point, but I am a supporter of the 2nd Amendment and a persons right to secure and protect their family and property.

The primary function of the police is to arrest criminals, NOT prevent crime, and they and the criminals are the ones that benefit the most from disarming the citizenry.

With all this talk of the Patriot Act and making it easier for the government to investigate "suspects", we should be making it easier for the people to protect and defend their rights, family, and property, not harder.

Yeah, what he said.:D

Meulen
01-22-2004, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by GsxrTony
The planets are in alignment. Dave and I are in full agreement :D

Awsome boys:D

It's miller time:D :cheers :cheers :cheers

aptyp
01-22-2004, 01:02 PM
this is all verbal masturbation. lots of praising for this guy but is anyone actually going to do anything about wilmette? I really doubt it. If you want to help, write a letter and pick up the phone and call. everyone knows that this was the right thing to do but this guy has his guns taken away, don't you think this a-hole's friends are now going to show up late one night a few months from now to teach him a lesson?

phozed
01-22-2004, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Sticky
I think you missed the point. I took that as mocking the absurd obsession that our society has with guns. That would be more consistant with Matt Groenig's work.

It's called irony and I do get it :D fwiw Matt Groening strongly supports the NRA for guns, as he once said in an interview with the BBC quite a few years back.

HDTony
01-22-2004, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by aptyp
this is all verbal masturbation. lots of praising for this guy but is anyone actually going to do anything about wilmette? I really doubt it. If you want to help, write a letter and pick up the phone and call. everyone knows that this was the right thing to do but this guy has his guns taken away, don't you think this a-hole's friends are now going to show up late one night a few months from now to teach him a lesson?

I've already sent letters to our governor and the truste's of the village of wilmette. I encourage everyone else to do the same.

Who knows if this snowball gets rolling large enough we could end up the 66 concealed carry state after wisc.

HDTony
01-22-2004, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by phozed
It's called irony and I do get it :D fwiw Matt Groening strongly supports the NRA for guns, as he once said in an interview with the BBC quite a few years back.

Exactly, Matt groening is a conservative from what I've heard.

Sticky
01-22-2004, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by phozed
It's called irony and I do get it :D fwiw Matt Groening strongly supports the NRA for guns, as he once said in an interview with the BBC quite a few years back.

Yes, so does Michael Moore

Meulen
01-22-2004, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Sticky
Yes, so does Michael Moore

not to bastardize a thread............wait a minute it's my thread:D

but michael moore wouldn't know a Chevy truck if it rolled over him and left the hood emblum tattooed on his ass:D :evil

Sticky
01-22-2004, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Crazy
not to bastardize a thread............wait a minute it's my thread:D

but michael moore wouldn't know a Chevy truck if it rolled over him and left the hood emblum tattooed on his ass:D :evil

Yeah, you're probably right. I don't think much of it, just playing devil's advocate(not the pin-ball machine.......Simpson's reference). If I was that guy, I would have been hitting up my gun toting friends for a hookup after my house was robbed though. Nothing is more important than the family.

Hawkeye
01-22-2004, 02:15 PM
I completely support this guy for doing what he did. And I would like to say that I would do the same but the cold hard fact is that I dont have any guns. Now dont think you can rob my blind, I am like a crazed maniac with a frying pan when you piss me off. I would like to get a gun but the little lady is opposed to that idea at this time.

On a side note, but has there been any new news about that family in warrenville that had the breaking and the parents had to watch as the daughter was raped? I know they caught one of the guys but what happened after that?

I would put a lot of money down that that dad would have liked to have a gun that night.

oh and i hope that michael moore gets his fat ass tossed out of this country for being an ignorant biased lying asshole. His academy award should be taken back as well. he is no fucking documentary director. it is FICTION. That is not a documentary. (Rant over)

Underdog
01-22-2004, 02:32 PM
Exactly, Matt groening is a conservative from what I've heard.

:laughing

For a conservative, he sure writes a liberally slanted show! I won't risk a total threadjack with countless examples, but methinks you might have heard wrong buddy.

:D

HDTony
01-22-2004, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Underdog
:laughing

For a conservative, he sure writes a liberally slanted show! I won't risk a total threadjack with countless examples, but methinks you might have heard wrong buddy.

:D

Actually you guys are right. I just did some reading and it turns out he is a member of the Greens

Pirate
01-22-2004, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Sticky
Yes, so does Michael Moore
Yeah, there's a canadate for toolbox of the century! What a fag!

BusaDave
01-22-2004, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Hawkeye

On a side note, but has there been any new news about that family in warrenville that had the breaking and the parents had to watch as the daughter was raped? I know they caught one of the guys but what happened after that?


Nothing further to report at this time except that they arrested the guys in question and they are awaiting trial. They are friends of mine so I'm quite aware of the situation.

crash11
01-22-2004, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by BusaDave
Nothing further to report at this time except that they arrested the guys in question and they are awaiting trial. They are friends of mine so I'm quite aware of the situation.

?. The guys on trial are your friends or are you a friend of the victums?

Night Stalker
01-22-2004, 04:51 PM
Lock em and load em boys....

HDTony
01-22-2004, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by crash11
?. The guys on trial are your friends or are you a friend of the victums?

He's a friend of the victims.

Jimbo
01-22-2004, 06:38 PM
I think that guy should get a reward or something. Gun control is learning to shoot stright:D

cherrypicker
01-22-2004, 07:24 PM
The guy should be reprimanded.... for not being a better shot and killing the guy.

Locked doors and the security alarm IMO is more than enough warning to any person that they should not be in your house.

Why is that society has changed so much in 100 years? 100 Years ago a loaded gun was located within easy reach for all types of self defense and burglarly of this kind was a rare event.

Why is society so soft. We have progressed in many ways, yet I think the policies of compassion towards all crimes is no realistic. cold blooded muderers once convicted beyond a resonable should be publically executed and i mean IN public. You should have a right to defend your home.


Furthermore, If i had a family ot defend and if the laws allowed, I would seriously consider learning how ot proplerly operate a handgun and carry it at all times. It's a parents responsibilty to pretect his family against all threat and with all means available.

Chills
01-22-2004, 07:38 PM
I agree with Cherry. I've heard numerous stories of burglars suing home owners for injuries they sustained while robbing the house.

And this shit about not using deadly force on a home invader if your life isn't threatened is absurd. I think if someone has broken into your home you have every right to put as many holes in him as you see fit.

This topic really pisses me off. There is something seriously wrong with our legal system when victims rights are put so far behind the criminals rights.

I may have mentioned this before, but there was a law passed in Lincoln County New Mexico (home of Billy the Kid) that required anyone over 18 to carry a firearm when entering the town of Lincoln. The law was repealed not long after, but I think its a pretty damn good idea, but with a few additions. Like training to use your firearm. Educate the people and make them carry weapons, or at least make it very easy to carry weapons legally.

How many muggings, robberys, or the such do you think would occur if the crook knows his victim is packing and potentially EVERYONE around is also packing?

This country can be so wishy washy. The 2nd amendment says you can own firearms, but the government does everything possible to limit the legal ownership of guns. Like someone posted in another thread, its not the legal gun owners commiting the majority of the crimes, its the black market buyers. And no amount of legislation will curb those activities.

Okay, I'm finished. :rant

supermario1
01-22-2004, 08:26 PM
Kill them all and let allah sort them out!

Norseman82
01-22-2004, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by Chills
I agree with Cherry. I've heard numerous stories of burglars suing home owners for injuries they sustained while robbing the house.



I think it's pretty messed up when a person gets in more trouble for defending himself against an attack than the attacker does for attacking in the first place.....

Too many people today have their brains screwed on backwards.

cherrypicker
01-23-2004, 12:35 AM
We have a tendency to focus of attaching the symptoms or results of a problem not going after the root cause.

Guns are the problem. It's people's attitudes, training, and mentality.

An electrician I work wiht sometimes is an avid abotu gun laws. He has a concealed carry lisence in every state it's allowed and where he can obtain one. when he goes on vacation with his wife and 3 kids, he carries for self defense. He's well trained, responsible and follows the rules. At the airport, he brings it, takes it to the security desk and checks it in. At disneyworld, he goes ot security and they cehck it inot a locker. IF someone attacked his family, he'd attempt to avodi the situation first but, he wouldn't hesitate ot draw his weapon ot defend his family.

Is every adult responsible enough for a weapon...NO. IS every adult responsibly enough to drive a car car... NO. I think both need to be controlled and regulated in some manner though netter education and training requirements. Hell some police officers don't have enough training or skill to carry a weapon.

I don't think I should be allowed to carry a firearm over the size of a 22... I currently don't have enough skill or training to properly handle a firearm.... Ken has seen me shoot :twofinger

RickC1957
01-23-2004, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by cherrypicker
We have a tendency to focus of attaching the symptoms or results of a problem not going after the root cause.

Guns are the problem. It's people's attitudes, training, and mentality.

An electrician I work wiht sometimes is an avid abotu gun laws. He has a concealed carry lisence in every state it's allowed and where he can obtain one. when he goes on vacation with his wife and 3 kids, he carries for self defense. He's well trained, responsible and follows the rules. At the airport, he brings it, takes it to the security desk and checks it in. At disneyworld, he goes ot security and they cehck it inot a locker. IF someone attacked his family, he'd attempt to avodi the situation first but, he wouldn't hesitate ot draw his weapon ot defend his family.

Is every adult responsible enough for a weapon...NO. IS every adult responsibly enough to drive a car car... NO. I think both need to be controlled and regulated in some manner though netter education and training requirements. Hell some police officers don't have enough training or skill to carry a weapon.

I don't think I should be allowed to carry a firearm over the size of a 22... I currently don't have enough skill or training to properly handle a firearm.... Ken has seen me shoot :twofinger


Cherry,

Punch holes in paper is one thing, facing a life and death situation and firing is another thing. I have been "under fire" twice, once on a "peace keeping mission" on the request of the Canadian Government, another time during a home invasion, neither of them a pleasant experience, one left me a mental basket case for years, drugs, alcohol, years of therapy for trying to protect a colour TV and some camera equipment, I should of backed away, I was young, stupid and have to deal with that mess the rest of my life.

Rick

Underdog
01-23-2004, 09:07 AM
Good input Rick, I think I remember you telling that story, and it was a sobering reality check.

Not to make light, but Cherry... who the hell needs a gun at Disneyland??? :laughing

***BJ***
01-23-2004, 09:41 AM
I think you missed the point. I took that as mocking the absurd obsession that our society has with guns.

Hmmm.... Let's see...I guess we have an absurb obsession with freedom of speech as well? :rolleyes I'm sure George Washington and Thomas Jefferson would be rolling in their graves if they knew that we allowed flag burning, and considered it "freedom of speech".

Aside from the weak arguments that the 2nd Amendment doesn't apply to todays society, etc, etc, blah blah blah, is is still the 2nd Amendment. Right there next to the first! If our founding fathers decided that it was important enough to put second, perhaps it was put there for a reason.