: Single Action Shooting Society

Grasshopper
03-10-2004, 08:54 AM
Have any of you gun nutts heard or participated in SASS?

I was at a friends house last night and his father is into this like you wouldn't beleive. He talked my ear off about it.

Looks like a fun time. They dress up all Western and do different competitions on thier shooting skills. All Single Action Shooting. Cool as hell!

:cheers

SloRoll
03-10-2004, 09:05 AM
There is a group that does that in Plainfield,IL. They are probably part of SASS. They have quite a range set up. I've been invited there a couple of times. Some of the costumes are really nice. Hollywood quality. It takes some time to get used to being there. Everyone just walking around BS'n and brandishing heavy iron.:laughing Luckily, everyone was friendly.:D Then there are the timed shooting contests with pistol, shotgun and rifle. I saw some really good shooters there.:) Gentlemen and ladies.;)

Grasshopper
03-10-2004, 09:22 AM
My friends mom has a better shot then his dad does in some shoots. But that mite be because she's shooting a Ruegar and he's shooting a Colt

I'd like to go watch some of this.

I'm thinking about buying a Revolver. Anyone have any recomendations. I don't want to spend more then $400.

Ofc. Ponch
03-10-2004, 09:27 AM
What kind of revolver. Do you want a Single action style or a modern Double action?
4", 6", or 8". is this your 1st gun?

Lets start with the easiest question. What will be it's primary function?

mthal
03-10-2004, 09:45 AM
I have thought about going to SASS events. They sound like a lot of fun. Bullseye pistol keeps me busy so far. I would like to do some IPSC also. Shooting sports are very enjoyable and I have met a lot of great people. They always go the extra mile to help you out no matter what you shoot.

A friend of my dad's has a First Generation Colt Single Action Army nickel plated in .44 Special. He did the Quick Draw stuff years ago and has a quick draw holster made by Edward H Bowlin. He made holsters for hollywood movie stars like John Wayne back in the olden days. I wish I could own things like that someday!

Grasshopper
03-10-2004, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by Ofc.Ponch
What kind of revolver. Do you want a Single action style or a modern Double action?
4", 6", or 8". is this your 1st gun?

Lets start with the easiest question. What will be it's primary function?

Single Action for sure

6"

Never owned a hand gun yet. I own a Remington 12 guage pump and an old Winchester 4-10

I have shot several pistols, but never shot a revolver yet. I want an old style single action revolver just for the sport and hobby of it.

Ofc. Ponch
03-10-2004, 09:58 AM
In that price range I think there is no gun better than a Ruger Vaquero. They offer it in many styles and calibers. Less money than a colt and more reliable. Colts cowboy at $600+ isnt even made by Colt. And a new Colt SAA will cost you $1000+.
Many other companies make single action knock offs between 250-350 but I'd go with the Ruger. My .02.

Lifetime warrenty, not that you'll ever need it and friendly customer service. And made in the USA. Built like a tank!

Grasshopper
03-10-2004, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by Ofc.Ponch
In that price range I think there is no gun better than a Ruger Vaquero. They offer it in many styles and calibers. Less money than a colt and more reliable. Colts cowboy at $600+ isnt even made by Colt. And a new Colt SAA will cost you $1000+.
Many other companies make single action knock offs between 250-350 but I'd go with the Ruger. My .02.

Lifetime warrenty, not that you'll ever need it and friendly customer service. And made in the USA. Built like a tank!

10-4 my friend.

I've been told that by everyone I've asked so far.

Cool, thanks for the info.

My friend lives on 12 acres out toward Beecher, he's got a nice range set up