: Stoeger 2000 Review

Meulen
03-23-2004, 09:58 AM
Stoeger 2000 synthetic 28" barrel 12ga shotgun

This weekend I was lucky enough to take a test drive of this piece. I was provided a brand new gun for the day. The gun comes with 4 different chokes. More than enough for a gun of this price range. I honestly only needed to use the modified choke for clays and birds on saturday.

First stop Clays. At 6.9lbs this gun was light and agile to pick up and well balanced for a firearm in its price range. Sighting was precise although for my tastes a more visible bead may have been desirable. The OEM bead is white and maybe an orange or some floresant would have worked better, but it's really personal preference. Gun acted great with minimal recoil and nicely functioning action.

Birds. I left the modified choke in for the birds and it really felt like you could reach out and touch them with that choke and number 5 Game loads. Again the gun was light and agile to carry around the field. The stock is predrilled for a strap too. The only problem I had was a misload due to myself not pushing the shell all the way into place.

Overall, this gun is GREAT for the price. At $420 MSRP I can't think of a better bargain for the purpose of a utility gun. The 28" barrel seemed perfect for both clays and birds. Bottom line is....I really like this gun, it's attractive in synthetic black, its light, versatile, reliable, and the price is more than right. It's a nice way to get a benelli quality gun for less than half the price IMO.:thumbsup

HDTony
03-23-2004, 12:05 PM
I enhoyed shooting that gun also. I might just buy one of those.

Meulen
03-23-2004, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by GsxrTony
I enhoyed shooting that gun also. I might just buy one of those.

Tony...you said something about the recoil not being as smooth as you expected. Did you do something to your to make it so much better???

HDTony
03-23-2004, 12:54 PM
I do have the remigton R3 recoil pad on mine which dropped the recoil on my gun by about a claimed 30%.

although I never really did shoot both of them one after another. that might show a few differences if I were to do that.

2weelpilot
03-23-2004, 09:24 PM
Next time we shoot clays you should screw in the imp. cyl choke. You might be surprised how much higher your hit % goes up. I think it opens it up something like 6" at 25 yards or thereabouts.. Just enough to hit rather than miss.

I liked the gun also Brian. Soooooooooooooooooo youre buying it?

Meulen
03-23-2004, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by 2weelpilot
Next time we shoot clays you should screw in the imp. cyl choke. You might be surprised how much higher your hit % goes up. I think it opens it up something like 6" at 25 yards or thereabouts.. Just enough to hit rather than miss.

I liked the gun also Brian. Soooooooooooooooooo youre buying it?

That's a big YES:D :D ....Maybe not right away. I just spent some $$$ on a new helmet. Actually ordered it just a minute ago. The wife gave me the go ahead so I will buy it sometime soon though.;)

HDTony
03-23-2004, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Crazy
That's a big YES:D :D ....Maybe not right away. I just spent some $$$ on a new helmet. Actually ordered it just a minute ago. The wife gave me the go ahead so I will buy it sometime soon though.;)

EXCELLENT, Guess I wont be buying one, I'll just borrow yours :laughing :laughing

Meulen
03-24-2004, 08:17 AM
EXCELLENT, Guess I wont be buying one, I'll just borrow yours :laughing :laughing

AWSOME!!!!! and I just found a new 17 to borrow for our sniper team shoots.:p

HDTony
03-24-2004, 08:19 AM
LOL :laughing So thats how it is :D :D

Meulen
03-24-2004, 08:21 AM

I dunno......you started it.:D :jester

HDTony
03-24-2004, 08:21 AM

:D I let everyone shoot my stuff. Doesnt bother me. as long as people respect it, and if they plan on going through a shit load of ammo I tell them to bring thier own :D

Meulen
03-24-2004, 08:26 AM
:D I let everyone shoot my stuff. Doesnt bother me. as long as people respect it, and if they plan on going through a shit load of ammo I tell them to bring thier own :D

ditto bro.....I got no problem with people shooting my guns. Hell, I'm lucky as hell to have a friend like Luis who'll by the gun I want for display purpose and let me take it out for a run before I decide to buy it.:D

HDTony
03-24-2004, 08:31 AM
ditto bro.....I got no problem with people shooting my guns. Hell, I'm lucky as hell to have a friend like Luis who'll by the gun I want for display purpose and let me take it out for a run before I decide to buy it.:D

Hahahaha, thats awesome :D

Odysseys
03-24-2004, 09:24 AM
thinking to myself, should i let someone shoot my 5600.00 robar sr-90?

...lol

Meulen
03-24-2004, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by Odysseys
thinking to myself, should i let someone shoot my 5600.00 robar sr-90?

...lol

I say...what's the difference? The bullet goes down the same chamber either way.

HDTony
03-24-2004, 09:56 AM
I say...what's the difference? The bullet goes down the same chamber either way.

Ya exactly!!! :D

Ofc. Ponch
03-24-2004, 10:10 AM
It's a little diffrent with a gun like that.
They're only good for about 3,000 rounds. So every pull is one step closer to death.

And whenI mean only 3,000 rounds I mean that the guns PEAK accuracy will oly last around that many round. That's why sometimes you will hear guys talking about barrel errosion and pressure or re-barreling thier guns. bench rest shooters change barrels about every 1,000 rounds.

The barrel will last about 15,000-20,000 rounds but your group size will get bigger as the # of rounds fired through it increase.

I THOUGHT THAT WAS COMMON KNOWLEDGE?

I'm sure he'd let you get a few rounds through it though

Meulen
03-24-2004, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Ofc.Ponch
It's a little diffrent with a gun like that.
They're only good for about 3,000 rounds. So every pull is one step closer to death.

And whenI mean only 3,000 rounds I mean that the guns PEAK accuracy will oly last around that many round. That's why sometimes you will hear guys talking about barrel errosion and pressure or re-barreling thier guns. bench rest shooters change barrels about every 1,000 rounds.

The barrel will last about 15,000-20,000 rounds but your group size will get bigger as the # of rounds fired through it increase.

I THOUGHT THAT WAS COMMON KNOWLEDGE?

I'm sure he'd let you get a few rounds through it though

wow....I did not know that. What a rip off.:(

HDTony
03-24-2004, 12:06 PM
wow....I did not know that. What a rip off.:(

Ya no kidding, that sucks.