: Its about time I bought a new shotgun

HDTony
07-28-2004, 12:29 PM
Poor mike I keep stealing his gun, its time I bought one of my own since I love his soooo much.

I'm looking at two different models of Remington rigth now. both are 110's

one come's with
a 28" barrel and four extended choke tubes: Skeet, Improved Cylinder, Light Modified and Modified.

the other comes with a 30" barrel and Included are three specialized Remô Choke trap tubes: Singles (.027"), Mid Handicap (.034"), and Long Handicap (.041").

Price difference is negligable and both have awsome wood quality. I'm confused a bit on the second gun as to what those chokes mean for shooting, I've only had experience with the Modified etc. chokes. also the 30 inch barrel seems long but the extended choke tubes on the first gun put the actual barrel length at 29 "

what do you guys think? This is mostly for clays, since I'll probably still use my black remington for our hunts.

HDTony
07-28-2004, 12:32 PM
Here is the Remington 1100 sporting 12

HDTony
07-28-2004, 12:33 PM
and the 1100 Classic trap.

Ofc. Ponch
07-28-2004, 12:35 PM
Ughhh Ohhhh.............I see alot of posts with opinion in the near future!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HDTony
07-28-2004, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Ofc.Ponch
Ughhh Ohhhh.............I see alot of posts with opinion in the near future!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ya.....

..... and wheres yours? :D oh and no I cant afford a 5000 dollar shotgun :D

Ofc. Ponch
07-28-2004, 12:41 PM
They are both the same gun, the main diffrence is the chokes you get and the type of choke.
with the "sporting" you get extended chokes like the ones on my Beretta, this is designed to aid in speed of chanigng them so when you move from station to station and the distances change you can do a quick swap with no tools. Again this is for Sporting Clays.

The 30 " barrel will give you the ability to take longer shots but will affect your swing of the gun. Your not the tallest guy out there and believe me 2" extra on the end of your barrel will slow your swing down a great deal. But will keep a highe velocity and a little better shot patern than a 28"

Last is the choke tube sizes..... hold on, boss coming. I'll get back to ya

Ofc. Ponch
07-28-2004, 12:51 PM
My job would be perfect if it didnt involve work from time to time!!!!!

Back on topic............

Choke tubes............
There isnt anything special about the "speacialized" choke tubes. They just come with restrictions better suited for clays.
Whats restriction Ofc.Ponch?
Glad you asked, the restriction of a choke, measured in inches, is the amount of tapper at the end of a barrel which acts upon the wad to give a shot patter.

For example a cylinder has a restriction of .000, and has a shot pattern of about 25" at 10 yards. So that means at 10 yards your lead shot would cover an area 25" wide.
So wjat if your targets are going to be 30yards out??? well you better know what size target it is and what chokes have what restrictions!!!!!!!!!

2weelpilot
07-28-2004, 12:51 PM
I didnt think that barrel length made any difference with the invention of choke tubes?????? It does effect the pattern I dont think.

It will make a difference in how the gun swings and aims.. I would go with the 30" if its for clays only. weight wont matter much

choke tubes..I just saw a write up on what the spread etc is for each tube..I always get confused on where a *skeet* choke fits in the choke tube world. Ill see if I can find that write up. It was good

and dont but a new gun because I mind you using mine... i couldnt care less. Buy a new one cause a man can never have too many guns:thumbsup

Ofc. Ponch
07-28-2004, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by HDTony

the other comes with a 30" barrel and Included are three specialized Remô Choke trap tubes: Singles (.027"), Mid Handicap (.034"), and Long Handicap (.041").

.027 = a hair over improved modified which is a 18" pattern at 10 yards.

.034 = just a hair under full, 10" @ 10 yrds

.041 = holy fuck, thats extra, extra full!!!!!!! 5" @ 10 yrds

Ofc. Ponch
07-28-2004, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by 2weelpilot
I didnt think that barrel length made any difference with the invention of choke tubes??????

Did i say lenth effected pattern????:confused

Ofc. Ponch
07-28-2004, 12:58 PM
If the diffrence is under $50 get the sporting!
We should go to Rinks though and find out if they can cut us a deal

2weelpilot
07-28-2004, 01:01 PM

The 30 " barrel will give you the ability to take longer shots

what did you mean by this?

Ofc. Ponch
07-28-2004, 01:03 PM
You get a hair more velocity out of the pellets so they will cary further out, your pattern will still depend on the choke but the extra velocity translates in to energy to break a clay:thumbsup

2weelpilot
07-28-2004, 01:04 PM
and where does a skeet tube fall?? whats the restriction?? its between a _____ tube and a _______ tube

Ofc. Ponch
07-28-2004, 01:06 PM
Skeet is .005 about a 22" pattern at 10 yards.

Cylinder is .000
I/C is .010

HDTony
07-28-2004, 01:10 PM
Interesting info. The pice difference is 27 dollars, so like I said negligable.

The sporting 12 seems like it has more variety in chokes where as the classic trap is more specialized.

although (this shouldnt matter) but I do like the engraving on the classic trap.

I'm still torn

Ofc. Ponch
07-28-2004, 01:10 PM
when we go out and I bring the auto loader it has a cylinder choke in it. I use #9 but it is such a lite shot that my patters can be greatly effected by wind. With a cylinder choke i should be using 71/2 or 8 where we go.
In the o/u i use #9 but i choke up on the chokes! Pun intended.

I use skeet in the 1st barrel and mod in the 2nd. The tighter choke helps counter the wind by keeping the pattern tighter. We are shooting at clays 40-45yds max at desplains. Mod at close distance is like shooting a slug at the target, the shot never gets a chance to pattern

2weelpilot
07-28-2004, 01:13 PM
tony, not sure what your saying about the variety of chokes.. they should be interchangeable??

If its all a wash...get the gold inlays...its sharp

Ofc. Ponch
07-28-2004, 01:14 PM
get the trap gun, you can always buy choke tubes seperate! If you pass up the gold flamingo on the side of the reciever now you'll never be able to get it again!!!

My vote is the sporting model.... suits you for what we do!

but thats my .000002 worth

Ofc. Ponch
07-28-2004, 01:15 PM
tony, not sure what your saying about the variety of chokes.. they should be interchangeable??

YUP

2weelpilot
07-28-2004, 01:17 PM
flamingo????:laughing

thats agame bird I tell ya...a game bird!!:jester

2weelpilot
07-28-2004, 01:18 PM
and you guys tell me when youre going to Dinks. Ive never been there

HDTony
07-28-2004, 01:19 PM
get the trap gun, you can always buy choke tubes seperate! If you pass up the gold flamingo on the side of the reciever now you'll never be able to get it again!!!

My vote is the sporting model.... suits you for what we do!

but thats my .000002 worth

Hahahah its not a flamingo :laughing

Its a pigion :D

But I agree it is sharp.

Ponch do you think the trap gun is Over choked for what weare doing?

Ofc. Ponch
07-28-2004, 01:19 PM
Are they promoting us shooting eagles??? cause if so????!!!!:evil

Ofc. Ponch
07-28-2004, 01:20 PM
Hahahah its not a flamingo :laughing

Ponch do you think the trap gun is Over choked for what weare doing?

The gun is fine.... the choke tube selection is a little queer for what we do. But thats no bige deal because we can always get more choke tubes and make the gun do whatever you want it to!!

HDTony
07-28-2004, 01:23 PM
So if I were there buyingthe gun, what choke would you recomend to buy withit if I were to buy and extra one? mod?

Ofc. Ponch
07-28-2004, 01:26 PM
The only other thing is the cheeck rest on the trap model. Because in trap your shooting at distance you have "time" to rest your check and aim. Again a TRAP gun is one designed to shoot a single at a longer distance thus the reason it has the 30" and the goofey restriction chokes.

The sporting model is designed for multiple targets (28" faster swinging gun) no check rest and extended choke tubes for quick change!!

The gold parrot on the reciever does nothing for me..... but then again your Italian so........

Ofc. Ponch
07-28-2004, 01:29 PM
So if I were there buyingthe gun, what choke would you recomend to buy withit if I were to buy and extra one? mod?

I/C and Mod but if you had to get one I would get I/C.

One comes with that gun that is .027, Mod is .020.

Being that close I'd rather see you have I/C .010, that would have a greater impact.

HDTony
07-28-2004, 02:46 PM
I think I'm gonna get the sporting 12, I think from everything here that will be the better all around gun for what we do.

Thanks guys. Now I just got to get some cash together.

And MIke I'm not just buying cause Idont want to inconvience you. I am really appreciative of the time you let me spend with that gun, I love shooting it and now I want one of my own.

Oh ya and of course a man can never have too many guns :D

For reference, see dictionary and next to "gun nut" is Ponch's picture :laughing

Ofc. Ponch
07-28-2004, 03:27 PM
Hey Tony, how much they asking for it?

2weelpilot
07-28-2004, 03:36 PM
and who? Gander or???

Ofc. Ponch
07-28-2004, 03:40 PM
Dealer cost is $620 by the way

HDTony
07-28-2004, 04:04 PM
If I remeber correctly Gander wanted 660.00 I'm not sure what Mega wanted they dont have either gun, and I didnt ask about those when I was there.

Ofc. Ponch
07-28-2004, 04:12 PM
Jump on it at gander!!!!!!!!!!!!
Local shops aint gonna touch that price!!!
Gotta love the stores that buy them by the 100's!!!!!!!!!

2weelpilot
07-28-2004, 04:25 PM
they had a huge clearance sale last weekend. Not sure if its still going on. the cheap ammo was through the 31st - $2.99 box

Rev
07-28-2004, 04:33 PM
Can you use these for clays? :D :thumbsup
http://www.benelliusa.com/firearms/images/m4-small-guns.gif
Benelli M4/XM1014

Meulen
07-28-2004, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by RevMatch1
Can you use these for clays? :D :thumbsup
http://www.benelliusa.com/firearms/images/m4-small-guns.gif
Benelli M4/XM1014

we have;) and we've used more extreme assault rifles too.:p

HDTony
07-28-2004, 04:42 PM
;) youd be surprised what shows up to shoot clays. :laughing

Blade Runner
07-28-2004, 04:47 PM
Hi, I'm a little late but...

I believe both will take Invector Plus extended choke tubes. This will allow you to buy Hastings tubes and play to your heart's content with patterns. From a practical standpoint there isn't much of a difference between either gun. The 28 will swing a little quicker and be marginally better for close shots (skeet). Neither gun is ideal for skeet in any case. Buy the 30 if you are prone to "stabbing" the gun at the clay. Buy the 28 if you are smooth. That is ass-u-ming you are sold on the 110. It is a good solid gun.

Personally, I'd stick with an over/under for clays except for trap shooting. I shoot a Browning Lightning. It has had 10,000+ round put through it over the years and aside from normal wear and tear dinks on the stock is in great shape. I think it's just broken in. If you can fit it in your budget, you can't go wrong.

Blade Runner
07-28-2004, 04:49 PM
Oh, I also like the Browing 425. My wife has one. I like the smaller front stock, but prefer the lightning grip. It's all a matter of individual taste.

Blade Runner
07-28-2004, 04:52 PM
Oh, mine is 30" and she has 32". And both are ported.

HDTony
07-28-2004, 04:56 PM
I ear ya on the over under, I would love to do one of those, but themain reason I'm going Semi auto is the recoil reduction, we shoot for hours and go through cases of clays. I routinly blow through at least 9 boxes of shells in 4 hours :D

My shoulder is toast if I use my pump all day and a over under would be the same.

2weelpilot
07-28-2004, 05:08 PM
now wait a minute...I shoot my O/U and my shoulder isnt toast ! Sally:D

HDTony
07-28-2004, 05:10 PM
now wait a minute...I shoot my O/U and my shoulder isnt toast ! Sally:D

how many shells did you go through? last itme I burned a whole case (250 shells) :D

oh ya you might want to clean the remy :laughing

2weelpilot
07-28-2004, 05:31 PM
not sure how many boxes...6 maybe??

The remy gets the snake and thats it:D

Blade Runner
07-28-2004, 05:59 PM
You girl, my wife will go through over 100+ rounds in an average day of shooting and not mention it. Heck, that is just one round of sporting clays. :flip

OK, seriously. An over under weighs more than the semi, expecially in the barrels. It will not punch as hard as you think. Also, a ported O/U will kick even less. It's also very important to get a gun fitted to you and to mount it properly. Oh, I assume for clays you are using light loads. For clays, there is little reason to shoot more than 1oz loads except for long shots.

That said, if you want a silk smooth shooting semi. Get a Benelli. It is recoil operated vs. gas (110). It's just too light for either of us to be smooth. I find it amazing that it kicks so little and is so light. Great design and inexpensive. It is a very good skeet gun, but I really don't like changing back and forth. I have one in the safe you are welcome to shoot. Just don't expect me to get up at the crack of dawn and drive 60 miles to go and play.

Blade Runner
07-28-2004, 06:31 PM
Oh, there is one more big reason to buy an O/U. Semi's are favored by liberals and progressive thinkers. O/U or side by sides are traditional shotgun favored by the conservative right. :laughing

HDTony
07-28-2004, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Blade Runner
Oh, there is one more big reason to buy an O/U. Semi's are favored by liberals and progressive thinkers. O/U or side by sides are traditional shotgun favored by the conservative right. :laughing

:rofl than what the hell are you doig with an O/U :laughing

That was a good one :laughing

2weelpilot
07-28-2004, 11:50 PM
If the home finance dept. would approve I wouldve bought this o/u already. its a hell of a gun for the cost. i have yet to read anything bad about them anywhere on the web

click on over/unders and look at the u1e. Thats the one Id get for my field gun - $755

http://www.dhshotguns.com/

direct prices are on the site also. Its a nice o/u but not terribly expensive but Id still hate to nick it up the way I do mine now

Blade Runner
07-29-2004, 11:38 AM
Tony, just trying to keep you entertained. Oh, the obvious reason. I break more clays. That and I got a great deal on mine. Just as I was getting ready to make the purchase a friend saw it at an estate sale for $500 and called me. Otherwise, I would have bought the 425.

Mike, Have you shot a DH? They are certainly priced right. It doesn't look ported, does it?

2weelpilot
07-29-2004, 11:52 AM
I have not shot a DeHaan yet. I have a buddy in Deerfield that has one and he like it a bunch. Its not ported although you can order that for a reasonable $$ amount. Thats on the site too

Blade Runner
07-29-2004, 01:28 PM
Now that you mention it, it is listed in the pricing section. They use Pro-porting and it adds $165. So it's still under a g for a custom ported o/u with a basic stock. If it fits, thats not bad.

Ooooo, did you look at the deluxe line? :)

2weelpilot
07-29-2004, 03:48 PM
I did look at it...often:D but those are way too pretty to be used as a field gun...trap etc YES but not field:nono Id cry the first time I nicked it

HDTony
07-29-2004, 06:02 PM
Hey Blade, do you have your wife shooting 12 gauge? My wife has been talking about wanting to learn

Blade Runner
07-29-2004, 06:24 PM
She started the sickness. She wanted to learn to shoot, so I bought her a .22. A couple of months later she came home with the Benelli and we joined Northbrook Sportsmans Club. Unfortunately, post baby has really fallen off. For a while there she was going out once or twice a week. Neither of us have had time to go out at all this year. As a matter of fact, we decided to let our membership at NSC go till we have time to get back into it. It got to the point at we were spending $4 to $500 a year to go out 3 to 5 times. We can still go up for the open shoots or call a member if we want to go out.

Blade Runner
07-29-2004, 06:25 PM
BTW, I told you. The Browning 425 Clays is hers. And she shoots the shit out of it.

HDTony
07-29-2004, 07:13 PM
Very cool. I missed the part about the browning, I should have seen that.

I wish there was a good club down here to join but they all are lame from what people have told me or like the one in naperville they are only open on thurs and sunday.

Blade Runner
07-29-2004, 07:28 PM
I remember checking out some place in Aurora. What a dump. NSC is awesome. The have:
trap x 15ish
skeet x 15
Olympic bunker trap (Only one in the Mid-West)
5 stand
Monster sporting clays courses scattered over hundreds of acres. I think they sit on 600 or 900.
Huge modern club house. 10,000ish sq ft.
Specific locker room and gun cleaning area
Great Food for breakfast and lunch. They also do some dinners if there is an event or a night shoot! And yes, there are 6 to 10 lighted ranges.

It is simply the best in the Mid-West.
You should see the custom guns that roll through that place. Lot's of $10-25k toys. Funny, they don't shoot any better than the Brownings. Most shoot worse, but they sure look pretty.

Can you tell that I miss the place?

HDTony
07-30-2004, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by Blade Runner
I remember checking out some place in Aurora. What a dump. NSC is awesome. The have:
trap x 15ish
skeet x 15
Olympic bunker trap (Only one in the Mid-West)
5 stand
Monster sporting clays courses scattered over hundreds of acres. I think they sit on 600 or 900.
Huge modern club house. 10,000ish sq ft.
Specific locker room and gun cleaning area
Great Food for breakfast and lunch. They also do some dinners if there is an event or a night shoot! And yes, there are 6 to 10 lighted ranges.

It is simply the best in the Mid-West.
You should see the custom guns that roll through that place. Lot's of $10-25k toys. Funny, they don't shoot any better than the Brownings. Most shoot worse, but they sure look pretty.

Can you tell that I miss the place?

Holy cow, that place sounds like Utopia :laughing

What does my net worth have to be to get in?

HDTony
08-07-2004, 11:01 AM
;) Theres a new toy in my gun rack :D

ConnorK
08-07-2004, 11:14 AM
what does one of those Benelli m4's go for?

Ofc. Ponch
08-07-2004, 12:11 PM
$1200-$1400 + tax