: NESBA Track Day Questions

12RPilot
09-09-2002, 09:32 AM
Having never participated in a NESBA Track Day before, I have a few questions for the experienced.
1) The NESBA website says you must display your rider number on the bike. Is this the same as the competition number on my membership card?
2) Do they get pissy if you leave the track/wreck?
3) I heard somewhere that if this is my first NESBA Track Day I will automatically be placed in Beginners class. Is this true? If so, how long will I be stuck there?
Maybe I should have left my stickers from Sportbike Track Time on my bike. Anyhow, I'd appreciate a heads up on this.

12RPilot
09-09-2002, 09:55 AM
Thanks Michael. That's gonna blow if I get stuck in Beginners class for very long. Guess it's time to figure out who to bribe. One other thing...is there usually someone there selling/changing tires?

KBOlsen
09-09-2002, 09:58 AM
Actually, you CAN approach a control rider before a session and let them know you want to be evaluated. That way, you will know for sure they are watching you.

To "make the bump" you must demonstrate that you are comfortable on the bike
smooth and in control
can maintain good corner speed
have very consistent lines
reasonable lap times
and be able to keep your head (and hold your line) when being passed by faster traffic, or in the turns.

It's a safety thing. Participating in a track day is NOT racing - it is an opportunity for improving your skills in a controlled environment - nobody is keeping score, nor are there trophies for being first.

If you feel you are going to be faster than others, be sure you are in the left queue on the hot pit lane when your session is called.

Looks like there are going to be a LOT of CLSB'ers out there this time - WOOHOOO!!!!

12RPilot
09-09-2002, 10:13 AM
Actually, after wrestling a ZX-12 around BF I may wish I was staying in Beginner class. Great bike at faster tracks like Road America but I would imagine that BF will be an eye opener. Bet I still have fun though.

KBOlsen
09-09-2002, 10:24 AM
Michael - it is still permissible for someone to approach a CR to request the evaluation process to begin. Ask Mahlendorf.

Champ91
09-09-2002, 12:26 PM
yeah but lining up in the right lane "Slow Lane" is fun too. Since you would be after the ones in the left lane. But then next thing you know you've passed most of them sept the first couple.

Ducman
09-09-2002, 12:45 PM
I started in the advanced class. They asked what group I wanted to be in. I don't know if things have changed since then

Champ91
09-09-2002, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Michael

i never lined up in the front of the fast line .. somewhere near the middle/back and none of you ever passed me :confused :D

Just as I said, it doesn't matter where you line up, you'll end up passing the ones who think they are fast and are not and those that are faster work their way up. But if you want, we should all line up together then no questions. Just watch out for Kim, she been practicing.:D

KBOlsen
09-09-2002, 03:01 PM
If you're not on a liter bike or 750, waiting to pass in "B" can be frustrating. At BHF, passing in the "B" group is limited to the back straight (between 6a and 7), and the main straight. Unless you can engage a CR and do CRAP (Control Rider Assisted Passing).

Yeah, I've been practicing, but by no stretch of the imagination am I fast.:helmet But next year... look out!

Lupi
09-09-2002, 03:22 PM
hhhmmm....I think I might have to apply the OT pay and do the late register thing.......

KBOlsen
09-09-2002, 03:24 PM
Better hurry - I saw on the NESBA board last night that the BHF weekend is filling up fast!

Lupi
09-09-2002, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by KBOlsen
Better hurry - I saw on the NESBA board last night that the BHF weekend is filling up fast!

Can't CC the $$, so it would have to wait till the morning of!:mad

12RPilot
09-09-2002, 06:53 PM
Do they have someone selling/changing tires at the track?

RSV4win
09-09-2002, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by 12RPilot

Yes, They do. Matt drucker is there selling and mounting tires.

vtr996
09-09-2002, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by 12RPilot

MD Racing is at all events to sell/mount Dunlop tires. www.mdrstp.com He usually only brings 208GP's in 120/180 sizes to the track, but you can contact Matt and have him bring whatever you need (as long as its Dunlop)

:thumbsup

G97
09-09-2002, 08:44 PM
Hey everyone. Just wanted to help clarify a few issues.

Yes, Matt Drucker will have a limited supply of tires, and will provide full track side support. It is strongly recommended that you contact him a week prior of the event to confirm your tire needs.

Just wanted to give some insight to the member classification,
B I A. We try and group members in the respective class according to skill level. If you have never done a track day before we suggest starting in the Beginner group. If you are a seasoned street rider, have prior track experience, and have a modern sport bike then you may sign up as an Intermediate from the start; providing that you have not previously signed up in the Beginner group. Advance is for members who have a lot of track time racing or other track days. Your bike must pass tech requirements.

Bumping to another group. Our Control Riders are very pro-active with this. More often than not, if we are doing our job, we will approach you to inquire about being moved up. This does not prevent you from making contact with a CR and asking to get evaluated. Please note that until we are able to get a good assessment of the days group, this process will not go into effect until the second session. The CR will take you out in the destination group and evaluate you. Of course the Advance group has some bike tech requirements- fill,filter,drain on oil and no glycol. Our number one priority is safety and grouping members skill levels as close as possible.

Thanks for your business everyone, we will see you on track.
Garth
NESBA

Champ91
09-09-2002, 09:17 PM
thanks for clarifying Garth. See ya at the track.

12RPilot
09-09-2002, 10:04 PM
I feel better now.