: Deer Hunting

2weelpilot
10-13-2002, 08:24 AM
Anybody else on the board do any deer hunting, whether by bow or gun ? Its been a passion of mine for a long time and Im just curious who else might share that interest .

Please dont post here if youre a bunny hugger just wanting to voice how cruel it is.

KBOlsen
10-13-2002, 09:05 AM
I've done gun season in Maryland and Delaware with my stepdad a few times. Bow season starts Labor Day Weekend and you can hunt pretty much all the way into January. Gun season is only around ten days or so.

Need to go again, cuz my freezer's empty!

gulpacoke
10-13-2002, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by KBOlsen
I've done gun season in Maryland and Delaware with my stepdad a few times. Bow season starts Labor Day Weekend and you can hunt pretty much all the way into January. Gun season is only around ten days or so.

Need to go again, cuz my freezer's empty!

Mines empty too Kimmy.. Hint Hint

YZFRob
10-13-2002, 09:50 AM
GOing next weekend.:D Antlerless season for gun. Gonna tak off in 30 mins to sight in rifles and we are teaching my niece to shoot today.

Gulapoke, if ya really want some deer meat, if I get one, want some? We are hunting the CWD area next weekend.:evil

Odysseys
10-13-2002, 10:23 AM
well since this was brought up:evil

i havent hunted deer but i would like to...last season (las year) i did do that wild bore hunt at ted nugents(sp?) private ranch last year. i got me a 400 pound fat fucker:evil
i got him good with 1 shoot to the frontal rib cage around the heart. only had to walk 40 feet to find him..but it wasnt hard by the trail he left.

i am up for it mike if you want to do BOW...i dont have a rifle yet...but i know a can borrow 1 no problem...and no i didnt eat the bore...i gave it to some guy that didnt score nothing.

Meulen
10-13-2002, 11:24 AM
Hey Mike,

I was just praticing with the bow a couple weeks ago. I'm probably going hunting in the next couple of weeks.

YZFRob
10-13-2002, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Odysseys
(las year) i did do that wild bore hunt at ted nugents(sp?) private ranch last year.....

and no i didnt eat the bore...

WOW!! I never knew you could hunt bore.:rofl

What kind of bore? rifle bore? pilot bore? wood bore?:laughing :laughing

Odysseys
10-13-2002, 09:36 PM
:twofinger screw you it was a big fucken harry pig to me:evil

HDTony
10-14-2002, 08:41 AM
I've never done it but its always been something I've wanted to do.

Meulen
10-14-2002, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by GsxrTony
I've never done it but its always been something I've wanted to do.

I've done lots of target shooting both bow and guns. I've gone hunting a a handful of times. Out of those handful only got one shot opportunity. It was the first time I shot a bow from a tree stand 20' high. Needless to say the shot went right over the deers back.:mad I'm going again in a couple of weeks. Maybe this time.

Labdog
10-14-2002, 10:05 AM
Love to hunt. I always go down to Bureau county for deer with bow and shotgun (season). Nov 2 and 9 down to iroqouis for pheasant. Jan to wyoming for mule deer rifle. and Virginia usually Dec for deer.

5 years ago went to montana (Bute) for bear. Beautiful country up there. I am trying to organize a hunt in the near future (5-6yrs) to go black bear with a bow. Not many people interested unless its rifle.

Anyone very proficent sp?? with a bow and interested lets get a big hunt together. I've got a couple guys.

Meulen
10-14-2002, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Labdog
Love to hunt. I always go down to Bureau county for deer with bow and shotgun (season). Nov 2 and 9 down to iroqouis for pheasant. Jan to wyoming for mule deer rifle. and Virginia usually Dec for deer.

5 years ago went to montana (Bute) for bear. Beautiful country up there. I am trying to organize a hunt in the near future (5-6yrs) to go black bear with a bow. Not many people interested unless its rifle.

Anyone very proficent sp?? with a bow and interested lets get a big hunt together. I've got a couple guys.

I've been shooting a bow since I could walk. Unfortunately I am without one right now. If I get a new one by the time you go I may be interested depending on when and where.

Labdog
10-14-2002, 10:15 AM
Excellent! It would probably be a little while like i said. (1 9mo and 1 newborn on the way) :cheers

I hope to go north to Montana or somewhere abundant with big bear. The only rule we usually have is the hunter with the kill must give a taste to the other hunters. unless EVERYONE get a KILL! :D :D :D

Meulen
10-14-2002, 10:31 AM
Excellent! It would probably be a little while like i said. (1 9mo and 1 newborn on the way) :cheers

I hope to go north to Montana or somewhere abundant with big bear. The only rule we usually have is the hunter with the kill must give a taste to the other hunters. unless EVERYONE get a KILL! :D :D :D

Dude...If I were to kill a bear I think it would be appropriate to throw a party to eat all the taste's:cheers

I have no problem with that.

Labdog
10-14-2002, 11:10 AM
That sounds like a hell of an idea to me! There ain't nothin like the taste of a big bear steak on the grill with grilled onions sauted in butter and a cold beer to wash it down!!!!!!!!!!!

:cheers
:thumbsup

Meulen
10-14-2002, 11:14 AM
That sounds like a hell of an idea to me! There ain't nothin like the taste of a big bear steak on the grill with grilled onions sauted in butter and a cold beer to wash it down!!!!!!!!!!!

:thumbsup

It's a plan. Hope I have a bow and can go.:D

Odysseys
10-14-2002, 11:23 AM
hey guys i got a back target and theres plenty of area around me if you guys wanna pratice...plus theres a indoor range close by me here and it also has an out door range set up with animals.

the indoor is 20 yards.

and the guy is old and cranky but knows his stuff.

anyway...who is gonna start this trip?
i am in.

and i got some good equipment..i like gearing anything i got to the max...i even got a fiber optic lighted sights for dusk or dawn shooting..lol..thats what they call it but shit..i even tag something in the dark too...lmao

KBOlsen
10-14-2002, 11:25 AM
That sounds SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good!!!!

Maybe I'm a wuss, but if hunting bear, I'd prefer to have a nice LONG GUN plus a sidearm!

Meulen
10-14-2002, 11:29 AM

and i got some good equipment..i like gearing anything i got to the max...i even got a fiber optic lighted sights for dusk or dawn shooting..lol..thats what they call it but shit..i even tag something in the dark too...lmao

Sights....who needs sites.:laughing :laughing J/K I learned to shoot without them after missing the deer from the tree stand. It takes some time to learn but shooting "instinctively" takes some of the error out of elevation and distance variance.:cheers

Odysseys
10-14-2002, 11:35 AM
shooting free hand is for low tech hunters that shoot cows while your drunk...you can be more precise then a GUN with a BOW with fine tuned sites and a CONSTINT shooting postour(sp?) key points.

i learned as a kid with my dads STRIGHT BOW...nothing but an arrow rest and a fucken string and that was a 70 pound pull..not bad for a 11 year old huh..lmao

next time ya come over lets shoot my bow;)

want some pics of it?

Meulen
10-14-2002, 11:43 AM
shooting free hand is for low tech hunters that shoot cows while your drunk...you can be more precise then a GUN with a BOW with fine tuned sites and a CONSTINT shooting postour(sp?) key points.

i learned as a kid with my dads STRIGHT BOW...nothing but an arrow rest and a fucken string and that was a 70 pound pull..not bad for a 11 year old huh..lmao

next time ya come over lets shoot my bow;)

want some pics of it?

:laughing :laughing :rofl I learned When I was 7. My grandpa gave me a small compound bow. By the time I was 11 I was already shooting a real size compound of my own for some time. So :p :D :laughing :laughing . If you shoot with sites you need to judge your distance when the opportunity for a shot comes up. If you learn instinct shooting it all falls into place. Don't knock it till you try it. No it's not looking down the shaft of the arrow. I'm not sure you really know what it is but when your ready to progress and meet a new challenge I show you.;) :D

Let's see those pics.

Odysseys
10-14-2002, 11:59 AM
bow

Odysseys
10-14-2002, 12:00 PM
fiber optic sights switched on

Meulen
10-14-2002, 12:11 PM
Nice. How much noise does it make when you shoot it???

Odysseys
10-14-2002, 12:13 PM
not much as far as i can tell its pretty damm quite

Meulen
10-14-2002, 12:20 PM
not much as far as i can tell its pretty damm quite

That's sweet. That's what I look for in a bow. I see you have silencers on it already. My Grandpa's got an inside cam design to eliminate the rod that holds the secondary strings back from the primary. It's great cause you never hear the strings rubbing against the rod when you pull it back.

Look closely at how the cams work on his bow and the hole top and bottom arm pivot. I love this bow!!!

Meulen
10-14-2002, 12:28 PM
Check it out. Here's the website for the bow I was talking about.

http://www.oneidaeaglebows.com/oneidapages/Page2.html

Odysseys
10-14-2002, 12:34 PM
cool never shoot one of those before

Meulen
10-14-2002, 12:57 PM
cool never shoot one of those before

Maybe we can ride to MI next year to shoot his. Trust me it's sweet. I just saw a dealer site they run between $550 and $750 depending on which model you get.

Odysseys
10-14-2002, 12:58 PM
sounds like a plan..plus thats cheaper then mine if it shoots better..lol

F4iDog
10-14-2002, 09:12 PM
Be careful of the deer meat guys. My buddy hunts up in Wisconsin and he was tellin me somethin about the deer up there having hoof and mouth desease or somethin like that. Just lettin ya know.

Mark:p

2weelpilot
10-14-2002, 09:19 PM
CWD = Chronic Wasting Disease... similar to Mad Cow Disease. Yes - be careful. They dont know how widespread or prominant it is yet.

The first zone T is less than 2 weeks away and Im still not sure if Im meat hunting or not this year. I hunt way up North about 2 miles from the UP of MI border. I havent heard of any cases near there but one never knows. If its dancing sideways and giggling.. it may not be suitable for consumption :nono

And regarding bear hunting.. Ive been putting in for my bear tag in WI for 4 years now so it should be about 3 years before i get a tag in WI so Im thinking about going to MN where you can buy tags over the counter in some areas up North. Just a thought. The amount of work and preparation that goes into black bear hunting is mind boggling

YZFRob
10-14-2002, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by F4iDog
Be careful of the deer meat guys. My buddy hunts up in Wisconsin and he was tellin me somethin about the deer up there having hoof and mouth desease or somethin like that. Just lettin ya know.

Uh, its called Cronic Wasting Disease. :D

Its mainly centralized in the SW corner of WI just west of Mt Horeb.

F4iDog
10-14-2002, 09:34 PM
Ok so its called Cronic wasting disease. My buddy hunts by his farm it's half way inbetween Maddison and Milwaukee

YZFRob
10-14-2002, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by F4iDog
Ok so its called Cronic wasting disease. My buddy hunts by his farm it's half way inbetween Maddison and Milwaukee

Thats not in the CWD zone. Hell its not even close.:D

Labdog
10-15-2002, 08:38 AM
2weelpilot

I hunt way up North about 2 miles from the UP of MI border. I havent heard of any cases near there but one never knows.

Where at is that? I was TDA in the military assigned to KI Sawyer Marquette before heading to Alaska. Eilson (sp) around 3-5 miles south of the city of North Pole! :p Now that was cold! :ot

Anyway in the UP is Marquette anywhere near your hunt? Awesome country up there!;)