: Spray-Can professionals needed

Pugsly
03-07-2003, 05:12 PM
I figure the vinyl job for the front number plate looks like crap.

So i go out any buy rust0leum industrila enamal gloss white spray paint.

Besides taping up the front. what else should i do to get a fairly good paint jop?

No- I'm not gonna get a $5000 spary gun and blahblah blah:twofinger

do i need to wet sand between coats or should I just "spray away"?

If this turns out OK, I might go this route for painting the sharkskinz tail.

Ant help from you spray can professionals would help.

ddub
03-07-2003, 06:20 PM
You should be fine with that set up , I'm NOT a Pro. BUT have painted a few things , I'm in the process right now with mounting new fiberglass and it will need some paint , so I'm thinkin of doin a rattle can job on it ... just a light coat , so that I can have it painted the right way later ($$$) . I was at auto zone today just lookin around , seen this stuff from Duplicolor it is called adhession primer ? says it helps the paint to stick better on plastic and bumpers and such ... I MIGHT give it a try .

Pugsly
03-10-2003, 01:39 PM
Man...it turned out GREAT!!!!!!!!! Looks nice and shiny and smooth. No leakage what-so-ever under the tape!!!! Used about 5 thin coats of the rustoleum professional spray enamal.

I am definately going to paint the new tail this way.

Though what about durability? Is a clear coat on needed if fuel, brake cleaner or fluid might get on it? or a clear coat keep it from flaking off is a few months.

WERA276
03-31-2003, 12:06 PM
I do all my number plates with spray cans. If you use nice thin coats it looks great. Takes forever to dry complete though......like a solid month to harden.

I also did my spare tail with a spray can (I got cheap). And it also turned out great. I guess its about taking your time. It is a bitch to sand and repair though. The paint just goo's up when you sand it unlike real auto paint.

Jack
03-31-2003, 12:22 PM
I think they have spray can clear. It might be helpful for the front plate since you'll get a lot of bugs and perhaps rock chips there and the clear will make it more durable and easier to clean. Just a thought.

Glad yours turned out good, I'm thinking of rattle canning mine too. :) Is this on the Mille?

BusaDave
03-31-2003, 01:44 PM
You can use a heat bulb to help with the drying. Just don't put it close enough to scorch or melt the plastic or finish.