: Cheap Track Insurance

Blade Runner
04-06-2003, 05:16 PM
Time for new track insurance? Last year's have 4 track days and several thousand of street miles on them. There is plenty of meat and I think I can nurse a few more days, but I'm not really sure I want to really risk it.

What?... You thought I was deluding my self again and asking about bike insurance on the track? Nope, but I've been riding Michillen and don't want to buy French.

So, what to buy? Bridgestone, Pirelli, Metzler? I wanted to try Metzlers, but am open and just thought I'd go fishing for comments.

Oh, what about going with a 180 vs. the stock 190 on the rear?

Thanks,

Bruce :twofinger

Doc
04-06-2003, 06:33 PM
I would definitely go w/ a 180 on the rear. You'll turn in better than w/ the 190.

As for tires, if I were to go w/ a street/track tire, it would be the M-1s. They heat up quickly even in low temps. and they have great grip. However, I chose other in your poll. I would look for race takeoffs or some 208gpa's. A race tire is going to be the best insurance for the track. You don't wear slippers to a marathon :D

Doc

Hooligan
04-06-2003, 08:59 PM
I liked my Dunlop 207 ZR's last year and Im going to the upgraded 208ZR's this year............We'll see Easter day!:D

phozed
04-06-2003, 09:00 PM
I've always stuck w/the 190 rear on the 929. I figured it turns in fast enough as is and I'd rather have the extra grip on the corner exits where being ham-fisted can really be painful...

I've used the Metzler M1s and think they're about the same as the Bridgestone 12SS's. They're both better than the Mich's imo...

Blade Runner
04-07-2003, 12:05 PM
Gee, a whopping 5 votes.

Well, for those that posted... Thanks!

For the rest. PFTHAAP! Fat lot of good you are.

Doc, the good street/race tires operate well within my personal envelope. I don't think I'll go with pure race.

Steve, you know me. I roll it on, no ham fist. Heck, I'm probably... correction... way too slow in adding power if anything.

I'm still thinking M-1. I wonder if they make a 185?

Thanks boys,

Bruce