Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

Why do my ankles hurt when I run

17K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  truckstop 
#1 ·
I've been regularly working out since January, an hour of cardio a day. I was doing an hour of biking a day until about last week. I lost ~14lbs but the last couple of weeks my weight has become pretty stable and I need to loose another 10-15lbs so I decided to start running. Last week I ran 2 miles on Wed, Thurs, and Friday and I ran 2 miles this morning. Whenever I run my ankles hurt alot. Usually the pain kicks in after half a mile and my right ankle is worse then my left. The bone right above my ankle also hurts. Do you guys have any recommendation on how I can fix this? Currently I wear a pair of basketball shoes.

#2 ·
Not sure, Whens the last time you ran, If your body is not use to the running that could potentially be the problem. Also are your calfs Overly tight maybe, Might need to stretch them out fully. If you have access to hot tub, I swear by them it helped me when my knees were tight from heavy lifting

Not a doctor, just a couple of guesses for you

#3 · (Edited)
1). Run on the grass, not on paved areas. The softer ground will cushion the impact of your footfalls

2). You are landing on your heels. Stop That. Land on the ball of your foot. Landing on the heels puts incredible impact forces on your ankles, knees and hips, and will damage them over the long term. As you step, tilt your toes downward and land on the ball of the foot, letting the weight of your body coming down on that leg bring the heel down. When stepping off, push off with the ball of the foot as well.

3) you might have tendinitis of the Achilles tendon from not doing #1 and #2 properly. rest up and let it heal, or at least wear an elastic ankle brace.

This post has been deleted
#14 ·
this is the most likely thing to help you. go to fleet feet - get a good pair of running shoes with advice from a sales person there. they will also examine your feet to determine if you would also benefit from an orthotic to correct any foot deformities (flat arch, pronation/supination, etc). if this does not fix the problem then go see your doc.

#5 · (Edited)
You're too f*cking fat. Put the fork down and loose some weight. :laughing:

Seriously though, like Beac83 said, your probably running flat footed or you have some bone spurs in your ankles. Did you have an injury to your ankles before??

For good running shoes cheap, check out http://www.joesnewbalanceoutlet.com/

#13 ·
For good running shoes cheap, check out http://www.joesnewbalanceoutlet.com/
That is a good idea only for people who have already been fitted properly, in person. Once you know "your shoe" then you can poke around online to find a pair cheaper than your local running shoe store sells it.

So #1, you need a proper running shoe. Do not get fit at Dick's sporting goods or a New Balance or Nike store. Go to a running shoe store like Fleet Feet or Dick Pond's. The shoe will like cost about $90.

#2, this could be as simple as the muscles around your ankle aren't yet strong enough for your running since it's a new activity for you. However, it is probably more complicated than that. Go see an orthopedic doctor and have it checked out. If you ignore it you risk needing surgery and you don't want that-- for a foot you're looking at ~6 weeks of missed work.

#9 ·
The last time I ran was probably in high school (4 years ago) and even then I didn't really run. I just made it look like I was doing work. I was pretty lazy back then. I ran 2.25 miles today and that is probably the most I've ever ran at once. I haven't really had any ankle problems in the past and they really only hurt when I run (which is why I never really ran before). Last week I was having alot of pain in my hips, but that went away over the weekend and its fine right now. I will try technique beac mentioned next time. I run on the treadmill in the gym so I can't really run on grass. There is a track in the gym but I like the treadmill because it helps me keep a steady pace.

I think that when I run I land on the heel of my foot and then take off on the ball of my foot. So I should be landing on the balls of my feet and taking off on the balls of my feet as well?

#10 ·
Have you been running on a treadmill? There's a huge difference between real locomotion and treadmills. Does it hurt right in your ankle or in the shin? Could be shin splints, which is normal and subsides as you go...there are a lot of stabilizer musces in there that are out of shape without you really knowing it until you use them.

Also, the wrong shoes and running posture/technique can definitely play a role...although shifting styles to landing on the balls of your feet can be really difficult for some.

#23 ·
It's a nice theory, and X gave it a try with the Vibram five finger shoes and while it fixed his issue with ITB from running in the wrong running shoes for a couple of months, he ended up with a hairline fracture in one of his toes and plantar faciitis within a couple weeks.

He went and got fitted for running shoes and insoles.

My uneducated guess is that if you run barefoot long distances from a young age, and keep at it, you're good. If you make the switch later in life, go SLOW and gradual. The girl at the running shop said they're a good training tool for different muscles at short distances, but for long distances to use the cushy shoes. He runs mid-foot/toes by the way. He dropped a lot of time when he adjusted to running that way. The heel still gets play, but it's not gratuitous heel landing. (I pace him on the bike and have spent some time behind him. I look at his feet when I'm not staring at... nevermind.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.