Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

Ice Racing in Cedar Lake, In.

13K views 108 replies 19 participants last post by  Grasshopper 
#1 · (Edited)
I heard from a reliable source that there will be ice racing at Cedar lake this winter. I will have more information as it becomes available. Nice and close for us south of Chicago folks who like to tear up the ice.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
I was just at Jeff Fredette's house getting some parts for the ice bike and he said that (weather permitting) they will have AMA sanctioned ice racing every weekend during January and February at / on Cedar Lake.

According to the DNR there has to be a solid 10 inches of ice for the racing to happen. Last winter during January and February there was a solid 10 inches so hopefully the same happens this year.

This is the shit for us southsiders.

#6 · (Edited)
First things first is you need ice fenders. You don't want to take a foot ball size chunk of flesh out of the back of your buddies leg banging bars into a corner.

Besides that check out the first thread. Get some chicken fingers or hippo hands but most 20 degree sunny days you don't even need those because your core gets so hot. I've used my held RR gloves many of times. Standard motocross gear under carhartts or full leathers work depending on the day and the weather. The more air you can trap inside the gear you are wearing the better but I have to ride with thinner gloves (no winter gloves) to get a good feel on the bars and the throttle. Always ride with motocross boots.

Fenders! Get or make fenders. We can have a fender making party at Ryans or Gus's house. Buy some mild, weldable, steel preferably (i know its heavy) or aluminum stock. The 2 inch width by 3/16 or 1/8 inch thick material works good. The aluminum will eventually break though.

We haven't got it completely down pat like these guys make them though. My fenders work and are safe but they could be made a bit better.

If you look really close at the swingarm you can see that the guys who made these replaced the blocks that push and pull the wheel back and forth in the swingarm. They are pretty nice.

Serioulsy man, check out dieseljo.com in the ice racing section. It's cool shit.

http://dieseljo.com/ice_motorcycle_ice_riding_home.htm

#7 ·
Don't know if I'd use my leathers as I don't get much movement in them. i have some touring pants that would be perfect. That with my standard mx gear and then I just need a good jacket and I'd feel safe.

I would need help making the fender. there is someone generous enough to lend me a set of tires so I can try this out so that's awesome.

#8 ·
We're out in the shop putting together my motor. Well, I'm surfing the internet, Resurrection and Streaker are putting my motor together. Anyways, no problem man. Don't worry about setting your bike up this season. Just come out and I'll let you rip around on my bike to give it a try.

#12 ·
Grasshopper - Let me know.. My old man has a condo on the lake...
I'd definitely come out for this.. and if you need a place to warm up... That'd be cool too.

I have a jet ski on that lake and he has a boat... but I don't think either of them would be a whole lot of fun with 10" of ice :)

#16 ·
#17 · (Edited)
We rode Cedar lake today. Froze our asses off but still rode. Ryan's bike wouldn't start so him, streaker and I just did 4 laps each on my bike and went to the bar. Fuckin cold outside.

I have a flyer for the series they are organizing that I will scan and post up here tomorrow. Pretty sweet deal, trophies and everything. Every weekend of January and February on the south side of the lake. Good close seats in the warm bar to.

#24 ·
We went riding yesterday for a little while out there. Mostly worked and set up "Moose" banners and snowfence. We had a 1/4 mile oval set up and I got about a half hour or 45 minutes of seat time. I fell down twice and got soaked. There were puddles of water out there but still very good clean ice. 14 inches of ice yesterday. Hopefully it gets good and cold for this weekend so the races still happen on the 4th.

#28 ·
Well, they raced last Sunday at Cedar Lake. I guess there were hundreds of spectators out there to watch. I came down with the bubonic plague so I couldn't make it but as far as I know the weather looks promising for more AMA amatuer ice racing there this coming Sunday. I plan on being on there and practicing on Saturday. Anyone is more than welcome to come check it out. There are 2 bars / restraunts within viewing distance of the track.

Cedar Lake Indiana is located here: http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Cedar+Lake+&state=IN

This is a report from last weekend off dieseljo.com from this link : http://wismoto.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=7edc44a7541c83e36acd4e559f9ba414&topic=607.0

Just got back from Cedar lake event...what a frickin blast. it was definitely wet, but on the good side underneath the moisture was smooth high grip glare ice. The races were well run, the facility (south shore country club) was an excellant place to race, with pretty much direct access to the lake from the big parking lot. Probably the coolest part was there was probably a couple hundred spectators...Fred, Jeff, and the staff were awesome, the track layout was really fun:1 1/8 road race course zig zgaaing around docks/piers that were lined with spectators. Bike turn out was a little low due to the warm weather, but I can only see this getting bigger, especially with the community behind it like it is. It is worth the drive south. Looks like we will get some good cold weather before next sunday, so the wet tracxk hopefully won't be an issue again. I'm definitely going to try and make it again....

WFO
And here is a link for pictures: http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/thumbpage.aspx?e=4419725

#29 ·
Next to Cerk, you are by far, my Fav Hillbilly

#31 ·
Jim goes and doesn't tell his friends:mecry:
Get me out of this HOUSE!!!

#32 ·
You wouldn't have went anyway. It was 82 below zero that day and we each did 3 laps around the track and went straight to the bar because it was so cold. It was the Friday after Christmas he is talking about. Remember how cold it was?

Come with me this weekend. Saturday I will practice, Sunday I could use some help because I'm racing. You can be my crew cheif / mechanic, but only for Sunday. After Sunday I have to lay you off because I live in Cook county and can't afford your hourly rate.

#34 ·
Nick,
Do they have open riding/practice on Saturdays at Cedar Lake ? Are there any other places around where there is open practice /riding you know of ?

Thanks.

#36 ·
Now were talking

I love you guys

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.