Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

Where to get a big ass fish tank?

12K views 94 replies 27 participants last post by  Blade Runner 
#1 ·
I am starting to get back into freshwater fish again, and out of the loop as far as equipment and places to go. My kid is loving it too, so I think for Christmas we will get a big ass fish tank instead of all the useless toy bullshit she always gets.

We have a 55 gallon right now, with two oscars, pleco, Midas cichlid, Jack Dempsey, and tinfoil barb. I want to add a few more cichlids like a managuense, frontosa, and flower horn, and an arowana too. BS hanging filter on the outside of the tank right now, which I hate.

I am looking for a 180 gallon + tank with hood and all that stuff. I am checking Craigslist for something along that size, but there aren't too many. Is new much more expensive?

Also, what is the hot setup for filters? Do they still make filters that go underneath the gravel and pull shit into the gravel with powerheads?

Thanks for the help, I got a few months to plan for this, but I have a timeline too because I don't want our current fish to get too big so we can't add other fish without being eaten.

#95 ·
I have a 90 acrylic set up for reef with stand and hood. It needs a good cleaning and polish. The hood is just OK. It was cut up and patched to handle some big lights. I'd replace it at some point although it should work with LEDs.

I have a 72 bow front glass with stand set up for tropical that's good to go.

If you want to lose your mind, I've got a 300 acrylic in storage with center overflows. Great hood and stand. Of course, it needs to be cleaned and polished.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.