Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

I-Pass ticket, and how to fix it

11K views 34 replies 17 participants last post by  Slycer 
#1 ·
If you've got I-Pass, and you use it on the bike, this is important.

In the mail today, I got a nice letter from the Illinois Tollway advising me that I was busted for running five tolls without paying, and that I needed to send them $103.40 post-haste to clear things up. Evidently, my I-Pass didn't register these five times--nothing major, and they're more than willing to clear things up with a phone call, but it did reveal a problem with the I-Pass system.

Apparently, between the time that I signed up and last August, they changed their database so that it now tracks what type of vehicle is associated with the I-Pass account. The problem is, nobody bothered to go in there and scrub the data, so all motorcycles (which get the regular, passenger-coded unit) went in as though they were cars. Worse, the way they're sorting out motorcycles from cars is by doctoring the plate number in the system, so when they go to check your plate number, it won't come up even if it's linked to the account, and they assume that you're not an I-Pass customer even if you are.

Apparently, the people at the violation center are aware of this right now, and can fix it quickly enough, but that only works if you get the ticket and call it in--and toll tickets are sent regular mail, not certified, so if it gets lost you're going to be in trouble.

Here's how to fix the problem. First, all motorcycle plates need to be in the system with the prefix MCY, so for example, if your plate number is ABC 123, you need to have it entered as MCYABC123. Second, you need to have the proper plate type entered, which is probably "Motorcycle - 150 cc and above."

You can do all this online through http://www.getipass.com or by calling the I-Pass center at 800-UC-IPASS.

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
I just got mine straightend out! Crap, I'm glad I called!!! They didn't even have my bike listed! I've been riding the bike through a heck of a lot of tolls this year!
The lady was real cool about it. She said "no worries." Registered my bike and indicated that I didn't have any infractions pending.
Oh the lady told me that bikes that are over 150cc have to have the MCY acronym

Way cool.
Thx again Morrand

#7 ·
Got tickets for a few hundred, showed them the iPass at the walk-in window... they changed all the charges to toll scharges, dropped the fines and the tickets... and fixed my registration.

If you have any problems GO to the center. It is near 355 and 88, SE corner.

#8 ·
Phily-D said:
This is exactly why I still do not have an IPASS. There is no way that I am willing to give these idiots my credit card account number.

Who said you had too? I re-fill at a toll both when I'm low. They had a CC# from me but I don't have that CC now and they said I can refill other ways.

#11 ·
Ohfugit said:
ok I was looking at mine on their website
it does not have the prefix but is listed as a 150 or above motorcycle.

Andrew did you have yours listed the same way?
No, I didn't. Mine was in as "Default Plate IL", or something to that effect.

I'd be interested to see what happens if the plate type is correct but the number isn't prefixed with the "MCY". It should work, but the rep that I called at I-Pass still seemed to think that the MCY had to be there.

For what it's worth, the ticket I got had a plate number of "MCYAM[...]" and a plate type of MCY on it. I'd suspect that a human being or a reasonably smart computer should be able to translate that into a match, even without the MCY in front, but I don't have that much faith in their computers.

Lest you should trust their system too much, notice that it allows a plate type of "Motorcycle under 150cc", even though those are generally banned from the tollway. :rolleyes

#13 ·
Yes it's a joke, but it's more of a joke when on a bike to stop pull the gloves find the money pay (pay double) put the gloves back on an ride away.

I stick with I-Pass :D

#14 ·
Before I leave in the morning I divy up the change and put the toll amount in seperate prescription bottles and put in the side pocket of the jacket. It is easy to find in the pocket without having to take off the gloves and I just take the cap off and dump it into the basket. I know this may sound a little tedious but it is worth it to me for two reasons:

1. I don't ever have to worry about gettin' paranoid when I hear on the news some day that some crack-head toll employee was arrested for stealing/selling credit card information, causing me to have to call and cancel my old card and have a new one issued, then watching my statement to see if there are any unauthorized charges.

2. I don't ever have to waste my time calling the toll authority and explain to them that I in fact DO have an IPASS and that the multiple tickets they have issued against me are bull#*&t because the receivers at the tolls can't pick up the IPASS in my backpack.

Jimbo> You can just give the toll employees cash at any toll plaza and they can credit your IPASS on the fly?? If that is the case, that makes things a little easier, however don't you still have to provide a valid credit card number for a deposit on the IPASS issued to you?

#15 ·
I just received one of those bills myself, and I double-checked how the bike is registered with Ipass. It is registered as a motorcycle, so I don't know why the dumb-a$$es couldn't figure it out without sending me a nastygram. Oh well, I'll call em and it'll get straightened out.

#18 ·
FastMan said:
Just put your plates as deep in your bike as you can. Camera wont see them and no more tickets. All the cops can do for plates being mudflapped by your tire is give you a warning. :robewizar
I have to disagree w/ u on this one...I was riding with a guy who received a ticket for this. He already had a warning issued to him, and then it was either $50 or $75 ticket....can't remember.

I like how people think ipass is a "joke"......haha....I'm sure the state gets a kick out of that too, beacuse the joke is actually ON YOU and they are laughing all the way to the bank!! Your dumbasses are paying DOUBLE for tolls! Tolls should have been gone a long time ago, but they aren't...so getting an IPass is better then letting them rip you off even more then they already are!!:laughing - I think IPass is a great thing!! No more waiting forever at the toll booths, or having to stop the bike get off...get the change bs.

ALSO

There is so much fraud protection now a days I don't worry about giving my credit card # to legitimate-well known websites...if I have any fraud my bank/credit card companies will replenish all my money in 24 hrs anyway....but it's never happened (knocking on wood)

#20 ·
Phily-D said:
This dumbass is well aware that he is paying double for tolls. I have a dumbass question for you though....How long do you think it will be before you are paying, via your IPASS, what the non-IPASS dumbasses are paying now:wonder

+1

Plus the fact that you own I pass. Without having a giftcard, they can make interest off your money.

2nd, they can keep track if your speeding. Which can be implemented anytime.

3rd, time is money. So how much time are people wasting to deal with all this crap about getting tickets in the mail?

4th Im paying double in money, but i dont feel bad that i cost people to lose their job or have their hours cut because i want to be "convienced" :rolleyes But i guess you feel GREAT, that some mother has to struggle more to get food on the table for her kids.

#21 ·
GixxerChic said:
I have to disagree w/ u on this one...I was riding with a guy who received a ticket for this. He already had a warning issued to him, and then it was either $50 or $75 ticket....can't remember.

I like how people think ipass is a "joke"......haha....I'm sure the state gets a kick out of that too, beacuse the joke is actually ON YOU and they are laughing all the way to the bank!! Your dumbasses are paying DOUBLE for tolls! Tolls should have been gone a long time ago, but they aren't...so getting an IPass is better then letting them rip you off even more then they already are!!:laughing - I think IPass is a great thing!! No more waiting forever at the toll booths, or having to stop the bike get off...get the change bs.

ALSO

There is so much fraud protection now a days I don't worry about giving my credit card # to legitimate-well known websites...if I have any fraud my bank/credit card companies will replenish all my money in 24 hrs anyway....but it's never happened (knocking on wood)

I guess I am a luck guy Kristal. Three years and still going and going and going:moped

#25 ·
Man, IPASS is screwed up. I decided to check my account today, and I only have one toll registered. I have had I PASS for about 3 months and have run up and down 294 every Thursday and on a couple of rides. I think this one only registered because of the new open tolling lane near O'Hare. That set up is kick butt. No more gates, just continue cruising as if nothing is there. There is this huge bright arc hanging above the expressway instead of booths. Looks like something off of I Robot. But anyway, I am worried about the other tolls. I still haven't received a ticket yet in the mail. I wonder what is going on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.