Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

Non-resident ammo purchase??

2K views 9 replies 2 participants last post by  Pinto Bean 
#1 · (Edited)
One of the Interns I'm working with is a Resident of Texas and Wants to go Trap shooting with me. Can he buy ammunition in Illinois??

Also, is it legal for him to posess a gun/ Shoot in illinois at a trap range?? I know he can posess gun and buy ammo w/ a valid non-resident hunting license during hunting season, but can he legally shoot recreationally??

#3 ·
he is gonna have to look into the IL firearms site and see what are the restrictions of an out of state person from Texas.

i don't know to much about the subject. but here are my pretty good assumptions?

being an out of state person he must adhere to Illinois state firearms rules and regulations for transport and god knows what to actually SHOOT in this state for sport or hunting. so with that being said, what works in Texas does NOT work in this crappy ass natzi state of ours.

i THINK if you went to a private or a public range like the one in "ottowa, buffalo shooting range" where they dont check foid cards cause its not there business, BUT they suggest you follow all state laws in case the DNR or STATE comes out and does a surprise check. "which i also suggest he FIND out whats needs to be done legally" call the Illinois State Police and check with them.

i know in all the states i went to, i went to there DNR place and filled out there hunting permits, took there firearms class "if they required" to do what ever i needed to HUNT. to shoot for hobby? i got no clue.

but check with there DNR for hunting, and check with there STATE police or atleast ask your local police dept on who to contact for such info.

in most places its a FEDERAL offense not having the right documents.

#4 ·
Thanks Ody, I'm gonna have to look into it. We were just going to shoot some clays out at Silver Springs in yorkville. Never had anyone come bother me there before, but it would be my luck someone would show up and check us out and my buddy would get into some trouble.

#6 · (Edited)
Yeah, I hunt deer with some guys that have done some Elk Hunts up in Canada. Said it was a huge PITA.

Illinois is gray with all their damn rules. ALMOST as bad as California. If we banned assault rifles, we'd be right there with them.

#8 ·
Man, I read through all of that, they are just not clear about that kind of stuff. I'll have to give the DNR a call maybe. They should know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.