Its about time I bought a new shotgun - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Home Forums Race Schedule vBGarage Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Chicagoland Sportbikes > Non-moto related Hobbies > Weapons & Hunters Corner
CLSB Store Article Section Local Radar Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance

Weapons & Hunters Corner For all your firearms, safety, weapon choice, hunting topic questions.

Old 07-28-2004, 12:29 PM   #1
HDTony
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.
HDTony Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!HDTony Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!HDTony Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!HDTony Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!HDTony Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!HDTony Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!HDTony Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!HDTony Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!HDTony Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!HDTony Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!HDTony Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!
Its about time I bought a new shotgun

Poor mike I keep stealing his gun, its time I bought one of my own since I love his soooo much.

I'm looking at two different models of Remington rigth now. both are 110's

one come's with
a 28" barrel and four extended choke tubes: Skeet, Improved Cylinder, Light Modified and Modified.

the other comes with a 30" barrel and Included are three specialized Remô Choke trap tubes: Singles (.027"), Mid Handicap (.034"), and Long Handicap (.041").

Price difference is negligable and both have awsome wood quality. I'm confused a bit on the second gun as to what those chokes mean for shooting, I've only had experience with the Modified etc. chokes. also the 30 inch barrel seems long but the extended choke tubes on the first gun put the actual barrel length at 29 "

what do you guys think? This is mostly for clays, since I'll probably still use my black remington for our hunts.

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
HDTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2004, 12:32 PM   #2
HDTony
Administrator

How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.
HDTony Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!HDTony Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!HDTony Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!HDTony Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!HDTony Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!HDTony Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!HDTony Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!HDTony Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!HDTony Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!HDTony Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!HDTony Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!
Here is the Remington 1100 sporting 12

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

Old 07-28-2004, 12:33 PM   #3
HDTony
Administrator

and the 1100 Classic trap.

- Ronald Reagan

Old 07-28-2004, 12:35 PM   #4
Ofc. Ponch
Weapons Tech Guru

Sportbike: Borrowed Ones
Years Riding: 11
How you found us: through SBN
Ofc. Ponch Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Ofc. Ponch Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Ofc. Ponch Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Ofc. Ponch Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Ofc. Ponch Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Ofc. Ponch Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Ofc. Ponch Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Ofc. Ponch Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Ofc. Ponch Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Ofc. Ponch Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Ofc. Ponch Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!
Ughhh Ohhhh.............I see alot of posts with opinion in the near future!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-28-2004, 12:40 PM   #5
HDTony
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ofc.Ponch
Ughhh Ohhhh.............I see alot of posts with opinion in the near future!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ya.....

..... and wheres yours? oh and no I cant afford a 5000 dollar shotgun

- Ronald Reagan

Old 07-28-2004, 12:41 PM   #6
Ofc. Ponch
Weapons Tech Guru

Ofc. Ponch Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Ofc. Ponch Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Ofc. Ponch Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Ofc. Ponch Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Ofc. Ponch Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Ofc. Ponch Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Ofc. Ponch Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Ofc. Ponch Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Ofc. Ponch Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Ofc. Ponch Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Ofc. Ponch Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!
They are both the same gun, the main diffrence is the chokes you get and the type of choke.
with the "sporting" you get extended chokes like the ones on my Beretta, this is designed to aid in speed of chanigng them so when you move from station to station and the distances change you can do a quick swap with no tools. Again this is for Sporting Clays.

The 30 " barrel will give you the ability to take longer shots but will affect your swing of the gun. Your not the tallest guy out there and believe me 2" extra on the end of your barrel will slow your swing down a great deal. But will keep a highe velocity and a little better shot patern than a 28"

Last is the choke tube sizes..... hold on, boss coming. I'll get back to ya
Old 07-28-2004, 12:51 PM   #7
Ofc. Ponch
Weapons Tech Guru

My job would be perfect if it didnt involve work from time to time!!!!!

Back on topic............

Choke tubes............
There isnt anything special about the "speacialized" choke tubes. They just come with restrictions better suited for clays.
Whats restriction Ofc.Ponch?
Glad you asked, the restriction of a choke, measured in inches, is the amount of tapper at the end of a barrel which acts upon the wad to give a shot patter.

For example a cylinder has a restriction of .000, and has a shot pattern of about 25" at 10 yards. So that means at 10 yards your lead shot would cover an area 25" wide.
So wjat if your targets are going to be 30yards out??? well you better know what size target it is and what chokes have what restrictions!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Ofc. Ponch; 07-28-2004 at 01:01 PM..
Ofc. Ponch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 12:51 PM   #8
2weelpilot
Super Moderator

Sportbike: yz250f
Years Riding: 25 years
How you found us: dont recall
2weelpilot Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!2weelpilot Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!2weelpilot Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!2weelpilot Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!2weelpilot Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!2weelpilot Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!2weelpilot Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!2weelpilot Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!2weelpilot Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!2weelpilot Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!2weelpilot Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!
I didnt think that barrel length made any difference with the invention of choke tubes?????? It does effect the pattern I dont think.

It will make a difference in how the gun swings and aims.. I would go with the 30" if its for clays only. weight wont matter much

choke tubes..I just saw a write up on what the spread etc is for each tube..I always get confused on where a *skeet* choke fits in the choke tube world. Ill see if I can find that write up. It was good

and dont but a new gun because I mind you using mine... i couldnt care less. Buy a new one cause a man can never have too many guns

When the tailgate drops..the bullshit stops
Hunt ethically - Hunt with a trained Retriever !
2weelpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 12:55 PM   #9
Ofc. Ponch
Weapons Tech Guru

Re: Its about time I bought a new shotgun

Quote:
Originally posted by HDTony

the other comes with a 30" barrel and Included are three specialized Remô Choke trap tubes: Singles (.027"), Mid Handicap (.034"), and Long Handicap (.041").

.027 = a hair over improved modified which is a 18" pattern at 10 yards.

.034 = just a hair under full, 10" @ 10 yrds

.041 = holy fuck, thats extra, extra full!!!!!!! 5" @ 10 yrds
Old 07-28-2004, 12:56 PM   #10
Ofc. Ponch
Weapons Tech Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by 2weelpilot
I didnt think that barrel length made any difference with the invention of choke tubes??????
Did i say lenth effected pattern????
Old 07-28-2004, 12:58 PM   #11
Ofc. Ponch
Weapons Tech Guru

If the diffrence is under $50 get the sporting!
We should go to Rinks though and find out if they can cut us a deal
Old 07-28-2004, 01:01 PM   #12
2weelpilot
Super Moderator

2weelpilot Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!2weelpilot Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!2weelpilot Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!2weelpilot Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!2weelpilot Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!2weelpilot Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!2weelpilot Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!2weelpilot Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!2weelpilot Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!2weelpilot Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!2weelpilot Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!
Quote:

The 30 " barrel will give you the ability to take longer shots
what did you mean by this?

Old 07-28-2004, 01:03 PM   #13
Ofc. Ponch
Weapons Tech Guru

You get a hair more velocity out of the pellets so they will cary further out, your pattern will still depend on the choke but the extra velocity translates in to energy to break a clay
Old 07-28-2004, 01:04 PM   #14
2weelpilot
Super Moderator

and where does a skeet tube fall?? whats the restriction?? its between a _____ tube and a _______ tube

Old 07-28-2004, 01:06 PM   #15
Ofc. Ponch
Weapons Tech Guru

Skeet is .005 about a 22" pattern at 10 yards.

Cylinder is .000
I/C is .010
Old 07-28-2004, 01:10 PM   #16
HDTony
Administrator

Interesting info. The pice difference is 27 dollars, so like I said negligable.

The sporting 12 seems like it has more variety in chokes where as the classic trap is more specialized.

although (this shouldnt matter) but I do like the engraving on the classic trap.

I'm still torn

- Ronald Reagan

Old 07-28-2004, 01:10 PM   #17
Ofc. Ponch
Weapons Tech Guru

when we go out and I bring the auto loader it has a cylinder choke in it. I use #9 but it is such a lite shot that my patters can be greatly effected by wind. With a cylinder choke i should be using 71/2 or 8 where we go.
In the o/u i use #9 but i choke up on the chokes! Pun intended.

I use skeet in the 1st barrel and mod in the 2nd. The tighter choke helps counter the wind by keeping the pattern tighter. We are shooting at clays 40-45yds max at desplains. Mod at close distance is like shooting a slug at the target, the shot never gets a chance to pattern
Old 07-28-2004, 01:13 PM   #18
2weelpilot
Super Moderator

tony, not sure what your saying about the variety of chokes.. they should be interchangeable??

If its all a wash...get the gold inlays...its sharp

Old 07-28-2004, 01:14 PM   #19
Ofc. Ponch
Weapons Tech Guru

get the trap gun, you can always buy choke tubes seperate! If you pass up the gold flamingo on the side of the reciever now you'll never be able to get it again!!!

My vote is the sporting model.... suits you for what we do!

but thats my .000002 worth
Old 07-28-2004, 01:15 PM   #20
Ofc. Ponch
Weapons Tech Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by 2weelpilot
tony, not sure what your saying about the variety of chokes.. they should be interchangeable??

YUP
Old 07-28-2004, 01:17 PM   #21
2weelpilot
Super Moderator

flamingo????

thats agame bird I tell ya...a game bird!!

Old 07-28-2004, 01:18 PM   #22
2weelpilot
Super Moderator

and you guys tell me when youre going to Dinks. Ive never been there

Old 07-28-2004, 01:19 PM   #23
HDTony
Administrator

Quote:
get the trap gun, you can always buy choke tubes seperate! If you pass up the gold flamingo on the side of the reciever now you'll never be able to get it again!!!

My vote is the sporting model.... suits you for what we do!

but thats my .000002 worth

Hahahah its not a flamingo

Its a pigion

But I agree it is sharp.

Ponch do you think the trap gun is Over choked for what weare doing?

- Ronald Reagan

Old 07-28-2004, 01:19 PM   #24
Ofc. Ponch
Weapons Tech Guru

Are they promoting us shooting eagles??? cause if so????!!!!
Old 07-28-2004, 01:20 PM   #25
Ofc. Ponch
Weapons Tech Guru

Quote:
Hahahah its not a flamingo

Ponch do you think the trap gun is Over choked for what weare doing?

The gun is fine.... the choke tube selection is a little queer for what we do. But thats no bige deal because we can always get more choke tubes and make the gun do whatever you want it to!!
Old 07-28-2004, 01:23 PM   #26
HDTony
Administrator

So if I were there buyingthe gun, what choke would you recomend to buy withit if I were to buy and extra one? mod?

- Ronald Reagan

Old 07-28-2004, 01:26 PM   #27
Ofc. Ponch
Weapons Tech Guru

The only other thing is the cheeck rest on the trap model. Because in trap your shooting at distance you have "time" to rest your check and aim. Again a TRAP gun is one designed to shoot a single at a longer distance thus the reason it has the 30" and the goofey restriction chokes.

The sporting model is designed for multiple targets (28" faster swinging gun) no check rest and extended choke tubes for quick change!!

The gold parrot on the reciever does nothing for me..... but then again your Italian so........
Old 07-28-2004, 01:29 PM   #28
Ofc. Ponch
Weapons Tech Guru

Quote:
So if I were there buyingthe gun, what choke would you recomend to buy withit if I were to buy and extra one? mod?
I/C and Mod but if you had to get one I would get I/C.

One comes with that gun that is .027, Mod is .020.

Being that close I'd rather see you have I/C .010, that would have a greater impact.
Old 07-28-2004, 02:46 PM   #29
HDTony
Administrator

I think I'm gonna get the sporting 12, I think from everything here that will be the better all around gun for what we do.

Thanks guys. Now I just got to get some cash together.

And MIke I'm not just buying cause Idont want to inconvience you. I am really appreciative of the time you let me spend with that gun, I love shooting it and now I want one of my own.

Oh ya and of course a man can never have too many guns

For reference, see dictionary and next to "gun nut" is Ponch's picture

- Ronald Reagan

Old 07-28-2004, 03:27 PM   #30
Ofc. Ponch
Weapons Tech Guru

Hey Tony, how much they asking for it?