If you have NAT problems or wanna give bandwidth priority to your 360. My How To: - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Home Forums Race Schedule vBGarage Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Chicagoland Sportbikes > Non-moto related Hobbies > Video game forum > XBox Live!
CLSB Store Article Section Local Radar Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance

XBox Live! Discuss games, tourneys, set up events etc.

Old 10-23-2007, 06:11 PM   #1
achapman
The Blue Ranger

Sportbike: 2007 R6
Years Riding: I drag knee beotch! True story
How you found us: Friend
achapman Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!achapman Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!achapman Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!achapman Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!achapman Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!achapman Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!achapman Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!achapman Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!achapman Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!achapman Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!achapman Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!
If you have NAT problems or wanna give bandwidth priority to your 360. My How To:

Here is the How to I made if you having NAT problems, or you wanna make sure that your Xbox has priority over all other traffic in your network.

A Muffin Man Production Take note that your router is probably different than mine, but you should be able to navigate it and find the correct settings you need. Also, if you want to give Priority to your xbox, and if your router has QoS, just look for that setting and enter the 360s Mac address in there as well.

Log into the router by entering 192.168.1.1 in Firefox or Internet Explorer. By Default the password is admin with no username. This is ONLY for Linksys Device.

Select Application & gaming. This is where we will set the Xbox 360 as the DMZ. The DMZ makes it look like the Xbox 360 is directly connected to the Modem. For more information on what exactly the DMZ is, Click this Link

Select DMZ.

You will use the Xbox 360's MAC address to tell the router that this device should be in the DMZ. You may also set it up with a Static IP. That is up to you. Select the MAC Address button and enter the MAC Address of the Xbox.

To find the Xbox 360s MAC Address.
To locate the MAC address of your Xbox 360 console:
1. Go to the System area of the Xbox Dashboard and select Network Settings.

2. Select Edit Settings.

3. Select Additional Settings.

4. Highlight Advanced Settings and select it.

5. At the bottom of this screen you'll see a heading called Wired MAC Address.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:31 PM   #2
Odysseys
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!
Odysseys THE PIMP WITH THE MOST!Odysseys THE PIMP WITH THE MOST!Odysseys THE PIMP WITH THE MOST!Odysseys THE PIMP WITH THE MOST!Odysseys THE PIMP WITH THE MOST!Odysseys THE PIMP WITH THE MOST!Odysseys THE PIMP WITH THE MOST!Odysseys THE PIMP WITH THE MOST!Odysseys THE PIMP WITH THE MOST!Odysseys THE PIMP WITH THE MOST!Odysseys THE PIMP WITH THE MOST!
thanks man, gonna take the lab top over and do this now.
Odysseys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 10:08 PM   #3
Odysseys
YO MAMA

Odysseys THE PIMP WITH THE MOST!Odysseys THE PIMP WITH THE MOST!Odysseys THE PIMP WITH THE MOST!Odysseys THE PIMP WITH THE MOST!Odysseys THE PIMP WITH THE MOST!Odysseys THE PIMP WITH THE MOST!Odysseys THE PIMP WITH THE MOST!Odysseys THE PIMP WITH THE MOST!Odysseys THE PIMP WITH THE MOST!Odysseys THE PIMP WITH THE MOST!Odysseys THE PIMP WITH THE MOST!
WELL i have the WRT54GX2

the DMZ i "enabled" and entered the IP address and QOS i had to select to enter a new "add new application" i selected a MAC address and entered the info from the xbox like ya said, and made it medium priority.

did the xbox test and all came back good and NAT is open.

hope this flys a little better now and ill stop getting those NAT errors when searching for a match. thanks man.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:02 PM   #4
achapman
The Blue Ranger

achapman Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!achapman Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!achapman Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!achapman Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!achapman Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!achapman Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!achapman Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!achapman Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!achapman Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!achapman Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!achapman Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!
Good! Glad to help!
Old 10-24-2007, 01:16 AM   #5
Odysseys
YO MAMA

must have worked not a NAT error tonight. thanks man.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:03 AM   #6
sarge52
Facilitator

Sportbike: '03 Honda CBR 600RR
Years Riding: 12+
How you found us: a good friend
sarge52 Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!sarge52 Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!sarge52 Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!sarge52 Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!sarge52 Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!sarge52 Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!sarge52 Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!sarge52 Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!sarge52 Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!sarge52 Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!sarge52 Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!
awesome work!

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Colbert
..I didn't mind once gas hit $4.xx a gallon, I just figured I was getting better gas.
XBOXLIVE: BBSarge69

"Yeah, It's the one that says Bad Motherfucker.."

Mike
sarge52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 04:30 AM   #7
jimzx9r

Sportbike: .
Years Riding: .
How you found us: .
jimzx9r Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!jimzx9r Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!jimzx9r Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!jimzx9r Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!jimzx9r Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!jimzx9r Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!jimzx9r Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!jimzx9r Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!jimzx9r Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!jimzx9r Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!jimzx9r Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!
Also check this list for routers that do and don't work:
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/co.../equipment.htm
jimzx9r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 01:14 PM   #8
hexraptor
1 piece at a time

Sportbike: Ninja ZX-6'DinoSaki'
Years Riding: Since I joined!
How you found us: teh intarwebz
hexraptor Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!hexraptor Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!hexraptor Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!hexraptor Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!hexraptor Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!hexraptor Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!hexraptor Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!hexraptor Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!hexraptor Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!hexraptor Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!hexraptor Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimzx9r View Post
Also check this list for routers that do and don't work:
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/co.../equipment.htm
dont think its on there, but i cant get onto live with my 2wire router

agh i want to do some forza2 racing!
Old 10-24-2007, 03:27 PM   #9
achapman
The Blue Ranger

2wire is the one from SBC right? It should work just fine. Are you using wireless? Becuase out of the box, those are enabled with WEP, and the key is underneath the router/modem.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:52 PM   #10
shadrach
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP

Sportbike: '02 GSXR 600 / '98 CBRF3
Years Riding: Since '03
How you found us: Google
shadrach Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!shadrach Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!shadrach Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!shadrach Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!shadrach Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!shadrach Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!shadrach Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!shadrach Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!shadrach Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!shadrach Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!shadrach Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!
I don't have an XBox Live Gold subscription, but why in hell are games requiring locating the console in a perieter network? You're still using Network Address Translation with this setup, just in a different way.

Sounds fishy to me.
NESBA #311
'02 GSXR600
'98
Smokin' Joe's F3
shadrach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 04:12 PM   #11
achapman
The Blue Ranger

Right, its still NAT, it's more of a port forwarding thing. Fishy? Don't worry I am not trying to hack your xbox You are just NAT'ing to the WAN interface.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:08 PM   #12
jimzx9r

Sportbike: .
Years Riding: .
How you found us: .
jimzx9r Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!jimzx9r Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!jimzx9r Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!jimzx9r Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!jimzx9r Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!jimzx9r Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!jimzx9r Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!jimzx9r Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!jimzx9r Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!jimzx9r Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!jimzx9r Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadrach View Post
I don't have an XBox Live Gold subscription, but why in hell are games requiring locating the console in a perieter network? You're still using Network Address Translation with this setup, just in a different way.

Sounds fishy to me.
If you could figure out how to access a random comp through xbox live, MS would probably hire you.
jimzx9r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 10:42 PM   #13
shadrach
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP

shadrach Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!shadrach Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!shadrach Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!shadrach Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!shadrach Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!shadrach Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!shadrach Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!shadrach Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!shadrach Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!shadrach Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!shadrach Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by achapman View Post
Right, its still NAT, it's more of a port forwarding thing. Fishy? Don't worry I am not trying to hack your xbox You are just NAT'ing to the WAN interface.
I'm not saying fishy as in insecure but fishy as in I'd like to know how putting the Xbox in a perimeter network helps gaming connectvity in any way. QoS, on the other hand, does apply.
NESBA #311
'02 GSXR600
'98
Smokin' Joe's F3
Old 10-25-2007, 02:53 PM   #14
sarge52
Facilitator

Sportbike: '03 Honda CBR 600RR
Years Riding: 12+
How you found us: a good friend
sarge52 Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!sarge52 Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!sarge52 Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!sarge52 Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!sarge52 Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!sarge52 Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!sarge52 Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!sarge52 Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!sarge52 Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!sarge52 Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!sarge52 Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!
Pretty sure it's not the router and it's my dorm that's messing with my xbox live. I must have too old of a linksys because I cannot enter mac address in my DMZ part of application and gaming. All I can do is: enable/disable mac and then put in an ip address destination. according to my network settings, my ip for xbox is the routers 192.168.100 whilst my computer is .101

if I enable DMZ and just put in the .100 for xbox live, my computer should not be DMZ enabled...correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Colbert
..I didn't mind once gas hit $4.xx a gallon, I just figured I was getting better gas.
XBOXLIVE: BBSarge69

"Yeah, It's the one that says Bad Motherfucker.."

Mike
sarge52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 03:04 PM   #15
XxMarsxX
Wooohooo

Sportbike: 2007 GSXR-600K7
Years Riding: Year 3
How you found us: This isn't where I parked my car.
XxMarsxX Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!XxMarsxX Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!XxMarsxX Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!XxMarsxX Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!XxMarsxX Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!XxMarsxX Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!XxMarsxX Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!XxMarsxX Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!XxMarsxX Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!XxMarsxX Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!XxMarsxX Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!
Correct then your putting your Xbox in the DMZ while your computer is still behind the firewall.

As long as your Xbox has the IP you entered
Old 10-25-2007, 03:18 PM   #16
shadrach
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP

Does traffic for XBox live games tranverse over a single port or set of defined ports? If the former, then it's better the forward only those ports to the console versus setting up this psuedo-DMZ which really just forwarding traffic on ALL ports to that defined IP. Not that it's a big deal to forward traffic to the console that doesn't have any listeners on it for the well known services, but it's still not best practice.

I'm going to do some digging around and see what I find.
NESBA #311
'02 GSXR600
'98
Smokin' Joe's F3
Old 10-25-2007, 03:33 PM   #17
shadrach
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP

Well, that was easy; it's all sent over static, defined TCP/UDP ports: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/908874

Only two ports are needed: 88 and 3074. Interesting that Kerberos authentication is being used (88). It also appears that many people are adding both UDP and TCP to port 88 rules even though the documentation specifically only defines TCP.

Technically no one behind a true Network Address Translation firewall needs to enable any port forwarding for Xbox Live gaming. But if you feel you must, then it would be better to create specific rules instead of blanket-forwarding all traffic to your console. You will just be telling your router to forward all the garbage packets sent to your public IP address on to the XBox console, which will itself waste cycles reading all those packets and deciding that it doesn't need them. Better to let the router/firewall drop those at the perimeter.

So, for example if your XBox is on the IP address of 192.168.1.100, then add two new rules to the single port forwarding table.

Code:
XboxLive1    88      88     Both    192.168.1.100
XboxLive2    3074    3074   Both    192.168.1.100
NESBA #311
'02 GSXR600
'98
Smokin' Joe's F3

Last edited by shadrach; 10-25-2007 at 03:44 PM..
Old 10-25-2007, 10:45 PM   #18
achapman
The Blue Ranger

Either way is fine. You can use the MAC or a static IP.

I had initially forwarded the ports, but bungie still said I had a moderate NAT, so I put it in the DMZ, then it went to open NAT.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:03 AM   #19
BFLY

Sportbike: CBR1000/GSXR1000
Years Riding: Not long enough
How you found us: Buddy
BFLY Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!BFLY Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!BFLY Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!BFLY Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!BFLY Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!BFLY Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!BFLY Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!BFLY Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!BFLY Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!BFLY Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!BFLY Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!
Thanks for the write up spent 3 hours pluse getting everything set up what a pain had to update my firmwear. Thought I killed my router was about to throw the dam thing out the window. All works now thanks.
Nesba #98
CBR1000
BFLY is offline   Reply With Quote