NESBA Track Day Questions - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Home Forums Race Schedule vBGarage Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Chicagoland Sportbikes > Track Corner > Track Talk
CLSB Store Article Section Local Radar Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance

Track Talk This forum is all about discussing riding and setup tips for different types of racetracks. As well as discussion about the local racing scene.

Old 09-09-2002, 10:32 AM   #1
12RPilot
Everybody to the Limit

Sportbike: 05 GSXR1000
Years Riding: 39
How you found us: Surfing
12RPilot 12RPilot 12RPilot 12RPilot 12RPilot 12RPilot 12RPilot 12RPilot 12RPilot 12RPilot 12RPilot
NESBA Track Day Questions

Having never participated in a NESBA Track Day before, I have a few questions for the experienced.
1) The NESBA website says you must display your rider number on the bike. Is this the same as the competition number on my membership card?
2) Do they get pissy if you leave the track/wreck?
3) I heard somewhere that if this is my first NESBA Track Day I will automatically be placed in Beginners class. Is this true? If so, how long will I be stuck there?
Maybe I should have left my stickers from Sportbike Track Time on my bike. Anyhow, I'd appreciate a heads up on this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2002, 10:55 AM   #2
12RPilot
Everybody to the Limit

12RPilot 12RPilot 12RPilot 12RPilot 12RPilot 12RPilot 12RPilot 12RPilot 12RPilot 12RPilot 12RPilot
Thanks Michael. That's gonna blow if I get stuck in Beginners class for very long. Guess it's time to figure out who to bribe. One other thing...is there usually someone there selling/changing tires?

Last edited by 12RPilot; 09-09-2002 at 11:06 AM..
12RPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 10:58 AM   #3
KBOlsen
Evil Moderatrix

Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Sportbike: A Big Blue One, a threesome of Sexy Red Ones - and a Happy Yellow One!
Years Riding: Quarter century.
How you found us: I was looking for Jimmy Choo's in my shoe closet.
KBOlsen Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!KBOlsen Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!KBOlsen Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!KBOlsen Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!KBOlsen Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!KBOlsen Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!KBOlsen Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!KBOlsen Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!KBOlsen Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!KBOlsen Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!KBOlsen Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!
Actually, you CAN approach a control rider before a session and let them know you want to be evaluated. That way, you will know for sure they are watching you.

To "make the bump" you must demonstrate that you are comfortable on the bike
smooth and in control
can maintain good corner speed
have very consistent lines
reasonable lap times
and be able to keep your head (and hold your line) when being passed by faster traffic, or in the turns.

It's a safety thing. Participating in a track day is NOT racing - it is an opportunity for improving your skills in a controlled environment - nobody is keeping score, nor are there trophies for being first.

If you feel you are going to be faster than others, be sure you are in the left queue on the hot pit lane when your session is called.

Looks like there are going to be a LOT of CLSB'ers out there this time - WOOHOOO!!!!
CCS AM #815 - the cute, fuzzy, yellow, spoiled-rotten half of Team Duc Tape!
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!

Last edited by KBOlsen; 09-09-2002 at 11:10 AM..
KBOlsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 11:13 AM   #4
12RPilot
Everybody to the Limit

Actually, after wrestling a ZX-12 around BF I may wish I was staying in Beginner class. Great bike at faster tracks like Road America but I would imagine that BF will be an eye opener. Bet I still have fun though.
Old 09-09-2002, 11:24 AM   #5
KBOlsen
Evil Moderatrix

Sportbike: A Big Blue One, a threesome of Sexy Red Ones - and a Happy Yellow One!
KBOlsen Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!KBOlsen Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!KBOlsen Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!KBOlsen Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!KBOlsen Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!KBOlsen Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!KBOlsen Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!KBOlsen Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!KBOlsen Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!KBOlsen Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!KBOlsen Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!
Michael - it is still permissible for someone to approach a CR to request the evaluation process to begin. Ask Mahlendorf.
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!
Old 09-09-2002, 01:26 PM   #6
Champ91
Who's faster Lupi

Sportbike: 2004 ZX10R & 2005 CRF50
Years Riding: 20
How you found us: SBN
Champ91 Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Champ91 Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Champ91 Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Champ91 Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Champ91 Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Champ91 Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Champ91 Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Champ91 Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Champ91 Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Champ91 Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Champ91 Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!
yeah but lining up in the right lane "Slow Lane" is fun too. Since you would be after the ones in the left lane. But then next thing you know you've passed most of them sept the first couple.
NESBA #456 Intermediate
Always 1 step ahead of Lupi. 1:24:7 BHF
And 1 step behind Kimmy

"SoB gets to spend yet ANOTHER season faster than me." -LUPI-
Champ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 01:45 PM   #7
Ducman

Ducman FNG
I started in the advanced class. They asked what group I wanted to be in. I don't know if things have changed since then
ccs #282
SM-USA #88
R6
Yz 426
Ducman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 03:42 PM   #8
Champ91
Who's faster Lupi

Champ91 Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Champ91 Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Champ91 Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Champ91 Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Champ91 Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Champ91 Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Champ91 Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Champ91 Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Champ91 Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Champ91 Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Champ91 Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael

i never lined up in the front of the fast line .. somewhere near the middle/back and none of you ever passed me
Just as I said, it doesn't matter where you line up, you'll end up passing the ones who think they are fast and are not and those that are faster work their way up. But if you want, we should all line up together then no questions. Just watch out for Kim, she been practicing.
NESBA #456 Intermediate
And 1 step behind Kimmy

Old 09-09-2002, 04:01 PM   #9
KBOlsen
Evil Moderatrix

If you're not on a liter bike or 750, waiting to pass in "B" can be frustrating. At BHF, passing in the "B" group is limited to the back straight (between 6a and 7), and the main straight. Unless you can engage a CR and do CRAP (Control Rider Assisted Passing).

Yeah, I've been practicing, but by no stretch of the imagination am I fast. But next year... look out!
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!
Old 09-09-2002, 04:22 PM   #10
Lupi
IDK WTF TO PUT HERE NOW!

Sportbike: The GF!
Years Riding: 3,201,394
How you found us: champ91
Lupi Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Lupi Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Lupi Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Lupi Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Lupi Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Lupi Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Lupi Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Lupi Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Lupi Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Lupi Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Lupi Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!
hhhmmm....I think I might have to apply the OT pay and do the late register thing.......
Lupi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 04:24 PM   #11
KBOlsen
Evil Moderatrix

Better hurry - I saw on the NESBA board last night that the BHF weekend is filling up fast!
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!
Old 09-09-2002, 04:30 PM   #12
Lupi
IDK WTF TO PUT HERE NOW!

Sportbike: The GF!
Years Riding: 3,201,394
How you found us: champ91
Lupi Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Lupi Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Lupi Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Lupi Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Lupi Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Lupi Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Lupi Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Lupi Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Lupi Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Lupi Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Lupi Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!
Quote:
Originally posted by KBOlsen
Better hurry - I saw on the NESBA board last night that the BHF weekend is filling up fast!
Can't CC the $$, so it would have to wait till the morning of!
Lupi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 07:53 PM   #13
12RPilot
Everybody to the Limit

Do they have someone selling/changing tires at the track?
Old 09-09-2002, 07:57 PM   #14
RSV4win

Sportbike: 2002
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: sbn- ran into 20bikes riding
RSV4win Mother Theresa is jealousRSV4win Mother Theresa is jealousRSV4win Mother Theresa is jealousRSV4win Mother Theresa is jealousRSV4win Mother Theresa is jealousRSV4win Mother Theresa is jealousRSV4win Mother Theresa is jealousRSV4win Mother Theresa is jealousRSV4win Mother Theresa is jealous
Quote:
Originally posted by 12RPilot
Yes, They do. Matt drucker is there selling and mounting tires.
RSV4win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 08:00 PM   #15
vtr996
Beep Beep Richie

Sportbike: 1990 HawkGT & 99 R6
Years Riding: still learning...
How you found us: icq
vtr996 FNG
Quote:
Originally posted by 12RPilot
MD Racing is at all events to sell/mount Dunlop tires. www.mdrstp.com He usually only brings 208GP's in 120/180 sizes to the track, but you can contact Matt and have him bring whatever you need (as long as its Dunlop)

A: Always, yes.
vtr996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 09:44 PM   #16
G97
I heart NEG REP

Sportbike: Fast One
Years Riding: 32 years
How you found us: ?
G97 G97 G97 G97 G97 G97 G97 G97 G97 G97 G97
Hey everyone. Just wanted to help clarify a few issues.

Yes, Matt Drucker will have a limited supply of tires, and will provide full track side support. It is strongly recommended that you contact him a week prior of the event to confirm your tire needs.

Just wanted to give some insight to the member classification,
B I A. We try and group members in the respective class according to skill level. If you have never done a track day before we suggest starting in the Beginner group. If you are a seasoned street rider, have prior track experience, and have a modern sport bike then you may sign up as an Intermediate from the start; providing that you have not previously signed up in the Beginner group. Advance is for members who have a lot of track time racing or other track days. Your bike must pass tech requirements.

Bumping to another group. Our Control Riders are very pro-active with this. More often than not, if we are doing our job, we will approach you to inquire about being moved up. This does not prevent you from making contact with a CR and asking to get evaluated. Please note that until we are able to get a good assessment of the days group, this process will not go into effect until the second session. The CR will take you out in the destination group and evaluate you. Of course the Advance group has some bike tech requirements- fill,filter,drain on oil and no glycol. Our number one priority is safety and grouping members skill levels as close as possible.

Thanks for your business everyone, we will see you on track.
Garth
NESBA
Old 09-09-2002, 10:17 PM   #17
Champ91
Who's faster Lupi

thanks for clarifying Garth. See ya at the track.
NESBA #456 Intermediate
And 1 step behind Kimmy

Old 09-09-2002, 11:04 PM   #18
12RPilot
Everybody to the Limit

I feel better now.