Spray-Can professionals needed - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Home Forums Race Schedule vBGarage Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Chicagoland Sportbikes > Track Corner > Track Talk
CLSB Store Article Section Local Radar Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance

Track Talk This forum is all about discussing riding and setup tips for different types of racetracks. As well as discussion about the local racing scene.

Old 03-07-2003, 05:12 PM   #1
Pugsly
Man with Big Hose

Sportbike: '01 Track only GSXR 600. No more street riding :(
Years Riding: Pick a number between 1 and 10? Opps now 1 and 11
How you found us: Champ91 in 2002
Pugsly FNG
Spray-Can professionals needed

I figure the vinyl job for the front number plate looks like crap.

So i go out any buy rust0leum industrila enamal gloss white spray paint.

Besides taping up the front. what else should i do to get a fairly good paint jop?

No- I'm not gonna get a $5000 spary gun and blahblah blah

do i need to wet sand between coats or should I just "spray away"?

If this turns out OK, I might go this route for painting the sharkskinz tail.

Ant help from you spray can professionals would help.
CCS #414
PARTS411.COM
Lockhart Phillips USA

NESBA #414 Advanced
2001 GSXR 600
Pugsly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2003, 06:20 PM   #2
ddub
long distance

Sportbike: Many
Years Riding: since 81
How you found us: LiLbirdy
ddub Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!ddub Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!ddub Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!ddub Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!ddub Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!ddub Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!ddub Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!ddub Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!ddub Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!ddub Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!ddub Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!
You should be fine with that set up , I'm NOT a Pro. BUT have painted a few things , I'm in the process right now with mounting new fiberglass and it will need some paint , so I'm thinkin of doin a rattle can job on it ... just a light coat , so that I can have it painted the right way later ($$$) . I was at auto zone today just lookin around , seen this stuff from Duplicolor it is called adhession primer ? says it helps the paint to stick better on plastic and bumpers and such ... I MIGHT give it a try .
ddub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 01:39 PM   #3
Pugsly
Man with Big Hose

Sportbike: '01 Track only GSXR 600. No more street riding :(
Years Riding: Pick a number between 1 and 10? Opps now 1 and 11
How you found us: Champ91 in 2002
Pugsly FNG
Man...it turned out GREAT!!!!!!!!! Looks nice and shiny and smooth. No leakage what-so-ever under the tape!!!! Used about 5 thin coats of the rustoleum professional spray enamal.

I am definately going to paint the new tail this way.

Though what about durability? Is a clear coat on needed if fuel, brake cleaner or fluid might get on it? or a clear coat keep it from flaking off is a few months.
CCS #414
PARTS411.COM
Lockhart Phillips USA

NESBA #414 Advanced
2001 GSXR 600
Pugsly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 12:06 PM   #4
WERA276

Sportbike: suzuki
WERA276 FNG
I do all my number plates with spray cans. If you use nice thin coats it looks great. Takes forever to dry complete though......like a solid month to harden.

I also did my spare tail with a spray can (I got cheap). And it also turned out great. I guess its about taking your time. It is a bitch to sand and repair though. The paint just goo's up when you sand it unlike real auto paint.
Old 03-31-2003, 12:22 PM   #5
Jack
habitual line stepper

Sportbike: F4,Brutale,Warrior,DRZ
Years Riding: X
How you found us: .
Jack Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Jack Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Jack Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Jack Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Jack Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Jack Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Jack Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Jack Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Jack Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Jack Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Jack Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!
I think they have spray can clear. It might be helpful for the front plate since you'll get a lot of bugs and perhaps rock chips there and the clear will make it more durable and easier to clean. Just a thought.

Glad yours turned out good, I'm thinking of rattle canning mine too. Is this on the Mille?
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 01:44 PM   #6
BusaDave

Sportbike: 2002 Turbo Hayabusa
Years Riding: Lost Track
How you found us: Tony
BusaDave Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!BusaDave Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!BusaDave Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!BusaDave Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!BusaDave Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!BusaDave Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!BusaDave Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!BusaDave Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!BusaDave Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!BusaDave Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!BusaDave Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!
You can use a heat bulb to help with the drying. Just don't put it close enough to scorch or melt the plastic or finish.