Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

Ice racing/riding seminar?

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Loki047 
#1 ·
I'm floating an idea here...What would the interest be in having a seminar about the ins and outs of ice racing and ice riding. I would get a few very experienced ice guys (Any CLSB member that's been doing it that would like to volunteer would be welcome to contribute/speak) and we would gear it toward beginners and intermediates mostly, but experienced riders would be welcome and could support the speakers or suggest alternatives that work well for them. It will be hands on with things like how to make the tire liners, studding & stud patterns, how to dress, what gear works best, how to avoid goggle/ shield fogging, keeping your hands and feet warm and other subjects that come up and answer any questions.
Bill Wildt (the cable access motorsports TV guy with the girls with feathers) did this back in the early '80's and it was very well attended and got alot of people interested and involved. THere's alot more to it than just putting screws in your tires and dressing like an eskimo!
It looks like we're entering a pattern of REAL midwest winters and ice biking is poised to make a return.
Post up if you're interested and if there's enough interest I'll start working on organizing this.
If you have any suggestions on a place to hold this or would like to help organize it or speak, PM me.

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
A lot about ice riding can be learned on Dieseljo.com. Almost everybody on that site and forum is from Northern Illinois and Wisconsin. If you want to get into the sport everything you need to know is on that site. If you want to know where everyone is riding on a given weekend you will find it on that site.

Building your own tires is very time consuming and from what I've heard and read not worth the time or effort. It's an art. If you invest in a set of tires from Jeff Fredette you know you have a good set *For Sure*. Check out Frpoffroad.com.

If all goes well Ryan and few other guys I know are heading to Lake Koshkonong early Sunday morning to do some ice riding.

This is my 4th season playing on the ice. There are a lot more knowledgable people out there than me but I'm willing to share what I know if you want to put something together old timer. I have a spare rear ice tire we can examine and I could play show and tell with the KX. Its not perfect by any means but its a good ice bike.

#5 ·
Nick,
Thanks for your offer to be involved. I will take you up on it.
Understand that my idea here is geared toward newcomers who may not be in a position to spend what it takes to buy ice tires, or not sure they're willing to invest a big hunk of cash for something they're not sure they'll like, and a lot of the things that go with it, but would still like to try it. As you said, it's an art in some ways, but it was developed by people over the years who discovered what worked and what didn't. Most guys that have been around the Ice for any length of time can show a newbie how to make a tire that will work good enough for them to get out on the ice and to get their feet wet. Newbies will actually be able to see and touch the tires and wraps and see the fenders and how they are mounted and talk to the guys who did the work, not just a picture on their monitor. There are also money saving ways to make wraps, liners and different schools of thought about all other aspects of the sport that will give newcomers ideas on what to try and what might become their preferrence. The idea is to save a newcomer some dough, and give them some tips and encouragement from experienced riders. A somewhat old school and personal approach that no website or discussion group on the web can provide...actual people that can answer questions and discuss variables. Not the impersonal and sometimes misunderstood posts on the internet.
It would also be a social event. Newbies could actually meet and get to know a few of the faster guys, making them more approachable at Cedar Lake or Lake Koshkonong or wherever.
That is IF there is enough interest.

#6 ·
If people are willing to drive a little bit they can learn all they want on any given weekend where we ride as well. Hopefully I can get the bike done and ready to rock for this weekend. No racing just riding Sunday if I can make it happen. I'm still down in Texas and with what the weather is looking like my 11am flight on Friday morning doesn't look too good. :laughing:

#7 ·
I figure this is a no go. Only one person expressed interest, so I withdraw the thought. Too bad though...coulda had at least a social impact. Intorducing newbies to the sport and established riders. Maybe another time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.