Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

2010_12_08 Some current photos of my tank.

5K views 69 replies 20 participants last post by  Flying_Hellfish 
#1 ·
Finally posting some current photos of my tank! I took them last night

Actinic LED testing. So far I like the result so I will be replacing them with high power crees.

and I made a new video, def not my best work and was rushed.

See less See more
1 2
#44 ·
meh, driver is Cheap, like 30$ for a dimmable one. Just attached the driver via 3m velcro to the back of the BC. hidden.

Yea the CMAS swaps are always awesome, they keep getting bigger and bigger.

Nah, I sold my 24g and running just the 120g but I am SOOOOO tempted to start a pico/nano. something not cube, rather a tall rectangle. Run an Mp10, get some wyoming clowns, custom rockwork. I forgot i also spent like 1 week doing the rockwork. the nano I want to spend like a month making it.

#45 ·
Yeah, Just saying it is another cost. $30 is nothing in this game.

I'm just hoping to pick up a few nice frags for a decent price and then dip the hell out of them. lol

Custom? I'm still waiting on my MP10 to come in..... A month to do a nano scape? wow.

#46 ·
lol, yea. you DEF have the right mindset to last in this hobby.

Its not about how much you spend, its about when you have the money available to spend it.

Imagine also getting an ALC for your reefkeeper which can control the driver and ramp up and down lighting.

take your old toothbrush and put it with your coral rx. also keep an exacto blade nearby, policy is that if its not the coral, cut it off. lol.
Yea I want to only use small pieces for scaping and glue it a piece at a time and design it for corals, flow and fish.

But its worth it, every time I post a photo of my tank online people drool over it.

#47 · (Edited)
SW tanks can be brutal on the wallet, that's for sure. Tank startup is the worst part too. ha ha. Luckily I got smart this time and went with 90% dry rock.

Yeah, that's why I want the dimming driver, seems the only smart choice.

That's a fun policy. So you want to use rubble to build and intricate scape in a nano? I can't wait to see how this comes out. :p I know it might not be soon but for some reason I think you have put too much thought into it for it not to happen.

That's true, but that also has to do with the sweet magnetic frag racks, the rimlessness of the 120, and a billion dollars in coral and fish. :D

As as side note I'm already starting to get the fantastic shit stains diatoms on my sand.... going to let it go a few more days and test again and possibly add a cuc by the end of the week or early next. Found a giant (1-1.5in) stomatella varia living in the hole in the piece of LR I got. He only comes out when the 10k bulb goes off but I figure if he is still alive ammonia is probably 0 like the test is showing.

#48 ·
im getting twitchy hands so I think I am going to do an accent blue LED bar. I have too much to do. also trying to design a cover for a rimless tank, a "cross platform" for camera to do in tank photos.

Yea, pure rubble so I can do everything down to as I imagine it. I am going to make the nano with beveled edges and go all out. I'm pretty crazy, and reliable. If I say it I goal it to make it happen.

I have shit stay diatoms right now too. Sucks but its part of reefing. Comes and goes to all of us.
part of the cycle of life.

When did the tank get wet?

#50 ·
Those were just TESTING leds LOL! I cant wait to make the stunner strip.

I'm a ninja with design :) and I just found out my friend has a Tig so that can further get my "concept" to work.

skip on the CUC purchase w shipping u lose 30$, wanna go with us on a road trip on the 29th? I have 2x spots (more likely just one) left in my car. We are going to go to midwest coral farms and uber frags.
just an FYI, we are a buncha guys in mid 20's as advanced warning. jk
btw did you join up on http://www.uberfrags.net/ ?
dooo it. when we all get banned from RC we will thankfully have everyone all over on UFrags

Jackie blue, nanonubey, firebretha and you would be the crew.

#53 · (Edited)
Ha ha, I knew it was too hap hazard to be a perm setup.

Now there is welding involved. Great.

Yeah, That's what is keeping me away. I just want snails for my nano I think. the hermits in my fowlr are opportunistic as hell and don't clean glass very well. If I can get some asorted snails and maybe a frag or two I'm in. Probably going certh/astrea/nerite for the nano and by the 29th I should really be set. Still showing 0s across the board after feeding this tank every day for 2 weeks.

I'm going to sign up on uberfrags now because I've already had a few warnings on RC and I'm getting tired of the nazi bs over there. Thinking of paying for a year of cmas membership as well. If I do 2 frag swaps in the next year it has already paid for itself and then some. :D

Oh, and my mp10 finally came in. After taking the controller apart to run cables I actually really dig it so far. lol

#51 ·
Awesome! Thanks for sharing.

I never did get a reply from your friend when I inquired on the LED's. But I'm going to do them when I get some extra money.

Do you like those circulating pumps that have the magnets outside the tank and the blade housing inside?

#52 ·
Yea, im starting to think somethings wrong with his contact because he never responded to me either. I see him posting on Reef2reef under the forum he just got.
The Vortechs are some of the best investment I made. They are noticeable audibly but so worth it to me because then no crap in the tank, more control, no heat added to tank and no risk of stray electricity to the tank too.

http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/reef-led-lights/

#54 ·
Very nice!

I'm getting ready to shut down my 300 acrylic. I think you have seen some old pictures. With the divorce I can't maintain it as it is still at the old place. Of value is the tank, lots of rock, sand, stand, hood, lights, skimmer, pumps, misc crap. You are welcome to the sump in the basement, but it will never survive a move. The tank needs a good cleaning and polish as coraline has been growing on the acrylic. The rock should be given a good hypersalinated bath as it is covered in softjunk and some aptisia.

Any interest?

#58 ·
#62 ·
And to complete the thread jack...... I'm rocking 0 amm, 0 nitrite, and 5-10 nitrate. WC this week (ran off 5 gal of water last night) and should have no problem adding some cheato and cuc members by the weekend. I'm still being tempted by reef cleaners...... lol

#63 ·
lol, im pretty sure I thread jacked myself first. plus those are the best threads.

haha, your in fill it mode! had just water for so long your excited to put Something in there.

I want to make a nano so bad now because of talking to people with nanos recently.

#64 · (Edited)
:laughing: That's probably true on both accounts.

Yeah, mostly I hate seeing that brown bs starting to take over my clean white rocks too. lol I can get 20 certh (fl and dwarf). 6 nassarius, and 10 nerites for $20 shipped. They recommend 3-4x that but I hate starting a cuc that big. I have my eye on a breeder that sells black ice clowns but that won't be for a month or two when he has more. And honestly probably too soon to add a pair of clowns. I didn't even put in my chemipure, purigen and cheato yet. :)

I wanted mine for a while. I just lucked out that I got that tank and stand for xmas. That really cut down on startup costs..... which I pretty much just plunked into a mp10es. :1pimp

#68 ·
wow man, I missed this post. phone prob refreshed and skipped it.

Astrea? PASS. I am pulling them out right now. I got some of the strain that eats Zoas.

I see the picassos in that link but not black ice, UF is a clown breeder btw so you can see how hers look, (sissys)

haha, When the RPEs grow out more ill let you know. MWCFarms is where I got them from if they have more.
I am going to post up about the LED meeting in this forum.

I am going to work on writing the review now. I got most of it done. but I just suck at writing sometimes.

#70 ·
We talked about this... but they are snails. :D

Yeah, I'm going onyx now. She says she has some for me to take a look at.

How much were they pp? I'm hoping to keep myself in check this weekend but we will see how it goes. hoping to find a few cool zoas and maybe a nice acan frag. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.