Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

Tommy Hayden - Hit the bricks

1K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  Germany 
#1 ·
#5 ·
+1
I hate to say it since I ride and love watching racing but the whole "Win on Sunday sell on Monday" thing really seems to be a lost strategy in America when it comes to bikes. With the exception of most CLSB members it seems that a lot sport bike riders do not watch bike racing. I really wonder if it influences sales. Almost seems like if a bike company pays some dipshit producer to put a bike in a movie it would sell more than a legit winning season. BS in my opinion.

#6 ·
^^I think that's what a bunch of people will wind up doing. I much grander scale with much higher visibility racing in areas with much more interest at what is becoming a much closer cost...a lot easier to get sponsors in that kind of environment.

The race/tv schedule is killing AMA racing.

#8 ·
T Baybeee - Make it rain in BSB Brotha man

#10 ·
Our racing culture in America is just totally different.

Pocket bikes for instance are huge in Europe and almost non existent here.

DC shoes and gymkhana for instance. There is viral videos, clothing, shoes, video games, RC cars ETC all about this stuff.

The only good viral video for the mainstream rider I have seen is that drifting one icon had.

Now do you really want to take street bikes and make viral videos to get more attention like the icon video? Yah maybe it would be catchy. I know a lot of the street riders here have icon gear. What would the trade off be for image? Then again the sport rider image is shot anyways right?

So who do we get to take a street bike out and do out of the ordinary stuff? What company will back it and turn it into a brand? Is there a market?

Take a Ducati hypermotard (example) and go make a sick video of it jumping off stairs, ledges, doing donuts, tearing up some corners, rolling some smoke, etc. Put a big name behind it and some cool videos on youtube.

Not saying that is the answer just saying it has made Ken Block, gymkhana, DC shoes, Ford fiesta / (was subaru) A huge name.

#13 ·
I don't think Tommy is going anywhere unless he lands on Jordan's team or some other existing team. I don't think he will ride for free at this stage in his career....may be time to sit at home.

This is the same reason I don't think you will see him go oversees....he's not going to garner the sponsorship money to pay for a ride. You need a sponsor like Monster, i.e. Hopper, that gives you the cash the bounce around in different series. Tommy doesn't have big personal sponsors like that he could take a big chunk of money to a team and also keep a decent salary for himself.

He and his wife just had another baby so it may be time to be a dad and manage your investment properties in the OWB:)

The manufacturers are only doing marginally better than 2 years ago...hence why you see them cutting back even more. I don't think win on Sunday has been selling a whole lot on monday.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.