Single Action Shooting Society - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Home Forums Race Schedule vBGarage Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Chicagoland Sportbikes > Non-moto related Hobbies > Weapons & Hunters Corner
CLSB Store Article Section Local Radar Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance

Weapons & Hunters Corner For all your firearms, safety, weapon choice, hunting topic questions.

Old 03-10-2004, 09:54 AM   #1
Grasshopper

Single Action Shooting Society

Have any of you gun nutts heard or participated in SASS?

I was at a friends house last night and his father is into this like you wouldn't beleive. He talked my ear off about it.

Looks like a fun time. They dress up all Western and do different competitions on thier shooting skills. All Single Action Shooting. Cool as hell!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2004, 10:05 AM   #2
SloRoll
I'm always learning......

Sportbike: 2k14 FLHXS, 1981 FXE, 1949 HD EL Panhead, Yami PW80
Years Riding: Long, long, long, long, long time.
How you found us: GPS
SloRoll Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!SloRoll Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!SloRoll Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!SloRoll Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!SloRoll Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!SloRoll Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!SloRoll Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!SloRoll Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!SloRoll Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!SloRoll Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!SloRoll Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!
There is a group that does that in Plainfield,IL. They are probably part of SASS. They have quite a range set up. I've been invited there a couple of times. Some of the costumes are really nice. Hollywood quality. It takes some time to get used to being there. Everyone just walking around BS'n and brandishing heavy iron. Luckily, everyone was friendly. Then there are the timed shooting contests with pistol, shotgun and rifle. I saw some really good shooters there. Gentlemen and ladies.

Remember there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over. Zappa 1974

And I said....."Look here brother, who you jiving with that cosmik debris? Now is that a real poncho or is that a Sears poncho? Zappa 1974
SloRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 10:22 AM   #3
Grasshopper

My friends mom has a better shot then his dad does in some shoots. But that mite be because she's shooting a Ruegar and he's shooting a Colt

I'd like to go watch some of this.

I'm thinking about buying a Revolver. Anyone have any recomendations. I don't want to spend more then $400.
Old 03-10-2004, 10:27 AM   #4
Ofc. Ponch
Weapons Tech Guru

Sportbike: Borrowed Ones
Years Riding: 11
How you found us: through SBN
Ofc. Ponch Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Ofc. Ponch Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Ofc. Ponch Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Ofc. Ponch Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Ofc. Ponch Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Ofc. Ponch Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Ofc. Ponch Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Ofc. Ponch Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Ofc. Ponch Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Ofc. Ponch Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Ofc. Ponch Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!
What kind of revolver. Do you want a Single action style or a modern Double action?
4", 6", or 8". is this your 1st gun?

Lets start with the easiest question. What will be it's primary function?
Old 03-10-2004, 10:45 AM   #5
mthal

Sportbike: Searching....
Years Riding: 3
How you found us: Google Search
mthal Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!mthal Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!mthal Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!mthal Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!mthal Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!mthal Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!mthal Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!mthal Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!mthal Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!mthal Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!mthal Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!
I have thought about going to SASS events. They sound like a lot of fun. Bullseye pistol keeps me busy so far. I would like to do some IPSC also. Shooting sports are very enjoyable and I have met a lot of great people. They always go the extra mile to help you out no matter what you shoot.

A friend of my dad's has a First Generation Colt Single Action Army nickel plated in .44 Special. He did the Quick Draw stuff years ago and has a quick draw holster made by Edward H Bowlin. He made holsters for hollywood movie stars like John Wayne back in the olden days. I wish I could own things like that someday!
Old 03-10-2004, 10:49 AM   #6
Grasshopper

Quote:
Originally posted by Ofc.Ponch
What kind of revolver. Do you want a Single action style or a modern Double action?
4", 6", or 8". is this your 1st gun?

Lets start with the easiest question. What will be it's primary function?

Single Action for sure

6"

Never owned a hand gun yet. I own a Remington 12 guage pump and an old Winchester 4-10

I have shot several pistols, but never shot a revolver yet. I want an old style single action revolver just for the sport and hobby of it.
Old 03-10-2004, 10:58 AM   #7
Ofc. Ponch
Weapons Tech Guru

Sportbike: Borrowed Ones
Years Riding: 11
How you found us: through SBN
Ofc. Ponch Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Ofc. Ponch Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Ofc. Ponch Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Ofc. Ponch Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Ofc. Ponch Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Ofc. Ponch Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Ofc. Ponch Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Ofc. Ponch Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Ofc. Ponch Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Ofc. Ponch Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Ofc. Ponch Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!
In that price range I think there is no gun better than a Ruger Vaquero. They offer it in many styles and calibers. Less money than a colt and more reliable. Colts cowboy at $600+ isnt even made by Colt. And a new Colt SAA will cost you $1000+.
Many other companies make single action knock offs between 250-350 but I'd go with the Ruger. My .02.

Lifetime warrenty, not that you'll ever need it and friendly customer service. And made in the USA. Built like a tank!
Old 03-10-2004, 11:07 AM   #8
Grasshopper

Quote:
Originally posted by Ofc.Ponch
In that price range I think there is no gun better than a Ruger Vaquero. They offer it in many styles and calibers. Less money than a colt and more reliable. Colts cowboy at $600+ isnt even made by Colt. And a new Colt SAA will cost you $1000+.
Many other companies make single action knock offs between 250-350 but I'd go with the Ruger. My .02.

Lifetime warrenty, not that you'll ever need it and friendly customer service. And made in the USA. Built like a tank!

10-4 my friend.

I've been told that by everyone I've asked so far.

Cool, thanks for the info.

My friend lives on 12 acres out toward Beecher, he's got a nice range set up