Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

Just wanted to thank JimGoFast & Jeff with a J for saving my life.

14K views 46 replies 40 participants last post by  JasperLondon 
#1 ·
Don't know if you guys remember me too well or not (formerly "The Mole"), but wanted to say thank you none-the-less.

Back a few years ago when I joined this forum and went on some group rides with you in LITH I wore very little gear, if any at all. Eventually I started wearing just a helmet so I wouldn't feel like an oddball or "odd man out". You guys were always giving me a hard time about my lack of sufficient gear, almost to the point of irritating the shit out of me! Looking back now I know why you did it and I wanted to thank you for doing it (as much as I hated it at the time).

This last fall I had a pretty bad accident. And I faired pretty well all things considered. If I didn't have your voices stuck in my head about getting proper gear including boots, gloves, jackets etc. and finally buying and more importantly WEARING some of this stuff, I probably wouldn't be here typing this post. Either that or I wouldn't be walking, or able to feed myself for that matter. On the ambulance ride an EMT commented on things and one of the things he said was that I was damn lucky and also smart to be dressed the way I was. He stated that if not for what I had on chances are he'd be taking me somewhere else besides the hospital. All that time I painfully smiled and thought about you guys busting my balls. I was still a bloody mess, and to this day, months later, I'm still not fully recovered. Though I'd say that I'm about 99% at this point. Even the doctors and nurses in the emergency room were saying the same thing, how much worse it would be if I didn't have on all that stuff. The damage to my head, torso and feet/ankles would have been much more severe.

After riding with you I got more gear, and wore it to a point where I started feeling naked and vulnerable without it, which I was.

So I just wanted to thank you guys for setting me straight. My wife would also like to thank you, as well as my friends and even my dogs :)

When this all went down, for a while I doubted whether or not I would ride again. Happy to say that this spring I'm getting back in the saddle again. With surprisingly little resistance from the better half, I think she understands just how passionate I am about this stuff.

Just bought my first leather suit, as well as my first back protector. Already making some arrangements for a few track days both here and in other states.

This was keeping me up at night, the fact that you just didn't know how much you all have done for me. It's easy to flame someone on the web, and come off standing on a pedestal preaching "wear this, wear that". But you did it in person and to my face and I respect you for it. I still don't think you guys will ever know just how grateful I am, but I had to at least try and convey how I feel. It took me a long time to do it but I'm glad I'm getting this off my chest.

You guys remember Ben? He was Mr. I ain't wearin' no stinkin' helmet. Well I took your lead and started giving him a real hard time. He finally gave in and started wearing his. This last summer it saved his life. So you see you started a dominoe effect, I credit you guys for saving his ass as well. I just took the torch and ran with it.

So a sincere and heart-felt THANK YOU goes out to you Jim & Jeff. I lived to ride another day and so did my good friend. I'll still be riding street, but hopefully I'll get a chance to see you at one of the tracks this year. And if I see your asses before then (or whenever) I'd like to buy you a beer, or two, or three....

Sincerely,

Vic

PS- Thought I'd post this here as this seems like the place you like to frequent.

:bow :bow :cheers :cheers

See less See more
#27 ·
The Mole LIVES! OMG - Vic - WTF?

Is the Red-1 totaled? Was THIS crash on the route or elsewhere?
If I remember correctly, I met you the first time you went out there...

PS - I hope you married the girl I met when I came over to the apartment? She was a keeper... and if you married someone else, can I have the other ones #? mwuaHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

Butt seruiously folks...
- this thread needs to be sent to some magazines!
-- who's got friends at the mag rags?

#28 ·
Just wanted to say thanks to all of you on clsb's for keeping this thread alive for me to find.
I'm glad to hear all is well after the crash.

I don't have a bike as of yet and joined CLSB back in January of this year to research a ride for myself. I just can't decide what bike I like with so many options out there.
FZ6, z750s, sv650, sv650s, ninja 650r, ninja 250, ninja 500e, monster, 599 and some I am still finding. The hardest part for me right now is the money, I am currently paying the Internal Revenue Service $400/month for back taxes (don't ask, i was stupid:bangin ) and this is putting a huge dent in buying a bike.

After reading this thread I realize that the bike isn't the first thing I need to purchase. With this years funds going to the IRS i may not be able to get the bike i want, but i can afford the most important, neglected items that will be required before I put my arse on the seat.

Thanks to this thread, CLSB, and all of you I pledge not to purchase a bike until I have bought a Helmet, Gloves, Boots, Jacket, and Pants. I also pledge not to ride without them.

Safe riding to all of you and I hope I can join you on some group rides later.

Please keep this a sticky for others to find and read.

#29 ·
Props bro!!

:thumbsup Good idea thinking of gear! Props to you :cheers Welcome to the board! Just remember to start small and ALWAYS ride your own ride. No matter how much faster other riders seem... on our rides we wait at the next stop/turn to keep the group together. Hope to see you out this season on rides and bike nights! :wheelie

#30 ·
Good call dude, glad you see the light and understand that if you can't afford gear, you can't afford a bike :bow It doesn't even have to be that expensive. You can get the whole set up for around $600 if you shop around, figure about $350-400 for a 1 or 2 piece leather suit w/ armor, $100 for a helmet, $40 for gloves and $80 for boots.

#31 ·
Good luck on your recovery!

I'll just add to this post saying that even though I haven't met anyone from the board in person, the views expressed about gear on this site convinced me to purchase more gear. When I first got my bike, I wore a helmet, but nothing else. After reading more and more on here I was convinced I needed to purchase the rest of the gear.

I'll also say that the majority of my friends, who have been riding much longer than myself, never wore gear of any kind. Last night was the first time we got back together this season and all of them but one grabbed a helmet at least. And the ones that were wearing a helmet at least joined me in busting balls on the guy that wouldn't wear one. Hopefully we can turn him around soon. A couple of the other guys asked me where I got my jacket, tried it on, and plan to purchase one ASAP.

I know I've felt awkward being the only guy wearing gear at times before, but in the end I don't care what people think. I'm just glad most of my friends are starting to get wise before anything serious happens.

Thanks again to all those that promote safe riding!

#38 ·
Words to ride by ...

This last fall I had a pretty bad accident. And I faired pretty well all things considered.

On the ambulance ride an EMT commented on things and one of the things he said was that I was damn lucky and also smart to be dressed the way I was. He stated that if not for what I had on chances are he'd be taking me somewhere else besides the hospital.

You guys remember Ben? He was Mr. I ain't wearin' no stinkin' helmet. Well I took your lead and started giving him a real hard time. He finally gave in and started wearing his. This last summer it saved his life. So you see you started a dominoe effect, I credit you guys for saving his ass as well. I just took the torch and ran with it.

So a sincere and heart-felt THANK YOU goes out to you Jim & Jeff. I lived to ride another day and so did my good friend.

#39 ·
Great post thanks for bumping it. I wouldn't have seen it otherwise. I'm just curious how the accident happened. It sometimes makes me think twice about getting a bike. Especially how very experienced people like yourself and others have accidents as well. Doesnt look too good for a newbie.

Or were you doing crazy driving when it happened?

#40 ·
This last fall I had a pretty bad accident. And I faired pretty well all things considered.

On the ambulance ride an EMT commented on things and one of the things he said was that I was damn lucky and also smart to be dressed the way I was. He stated that if not for what I had on chances are he'd be taking me somewhere else besides the hospital.

So a sincere and heart-felt THANK YOU goes out to you Jim & Jeff. I lived to ride another day and so did my good friend.

That right there, is what makes all the crap i deal with running this site, worth it!! Knowing that something i created in my head while riding around bored one day, turned into a force that is saving peoples lives through education and a bit of peer pressure fills me with pride.

Reactions: Supergirl
#41 ·
the site has had the same effect on me, love you guys

if i kept riding around with my buddies i prolly would never wear gear

Reactions: Maynard
#47 ·
Just wish i could get more T Shirt wearing, no helmet wearing guys in Chicago to understand how easily the body gets torn up in even a low speed crash!

It's NUTTS, over here, in Europe, London especially you cant by Law ride without a Lid and everyone wears at least textiles, mostly leather.

Not sure if its a term used over here but we say "Dress for the Slide, not the Ride"

Have fun, just wrap up!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.