Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

Fucking Harleys

5K views 122 replies 52 participants last post by  wonson3 
#1 ·
Why do people think their Harley's are worth so much money? It's retarded. The amount of money they think their bikes are worth is absolutely rediculous. Just because you spent 2000 dollars in chrome aftermarket crap to put on the thing doesn't mean it's worth 2000 more dollars. Just because you paid this much money 10 years ago for the bike doesn't mean it is still worth that same amount of money. The fact that people pay the money and think that the bike is worth the money is flabbergasting in it's own.

It's a turd, it handles like shit and it's old world technology. Why are they so expensive? Why do people continue to pay the amount of money they do for them?

#8 ·
If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand (as told by the HD Marketing Dept) :D

#12 ·
It's an old mindset that is dying hard. It has nothing to do with H-D's marketing department...it's the same mindset that makes late '60's Triumphs worth $10,000 and same year, same condition BSA's barely worth $4,000. As long as there are people with a strong desire to own an HD who are blessed with more money than brains the situation will continue.
10, 15 and even 20 years ago H-D's sold so well there were more buyers than bikes...the fact that there are more bikes than buyers these days hasn't caught up to the market because of the more money than brains crowd.
I feel your pain...I'd love to build a Harley Davidson drag bike but It's so cost prohibitive compared to anything else...I could build 4 Big 4 Japanese dragbikes for the cost of one HD ...and I'm not even talking anything exotic...just a street legal Hot Rod gas powered bracket bike!
BUT...I still love my 21 year old FXRS-Sp "Son of Superglide" Lowrider!

#14 ·
  • sound (doesn't sound like a sewing machine)
  • fit and finish (far superior)
  • the feel of the controls (they don't feel cheap and rubbery)
  • metal and paint work (not plastic and cheap feeling)
  • ergonomics (everything is where it needs to be and can be adjusted to fit)
  • comfort (nuf said)
  • torque (ya its not a race bike but it performs well)
  • asthetics (beautiful bikes, not multicolored tuperware)
  • HUGE aftermarket (nuf said)
  • HUGE dealer and support network if your touring (your not he road, and have an issue you are never far from a dealer for help and they will give you first priority)

don't get me wrong theres nothing wrong with jap bikes. but you asked why and thats my thoughts.

#17 ·
Have you ridden a jap cruiser for an extended period of time? I thought my warrior was superior in all those categories. The only HD I've ridden that was close is a screamin eagle fat bob, which costs 3x what a warrior costs.

#16 ·
^^^ If they're so antiquated why do all the other manufacturers go to such lengths to emulate them in their cruiser lines? One of them even went so far as to tune their engine to duplicate the sound and another came out with a pushrod engine! You can't argue with success...just read the post before yours and learn something...It isn't always HP and speed that wins the most important race of all...The one INTO dealers to buy the bike...In that race Harley has been out front in their class for almost 25 years now!
I certainly think there are too many guys around who want too much for their used HD's but that doesn't mean I don't celebrate the Milwaukee Iron icon's success!

#19 ·
Facts and market realities are not defense. Truth needs no defense.

#21 ·
IMO, neither of those are comparable to an HD. Try out the Yamaha raider or warrior, or the big suzukis (aftermarket pipes are a must). They are a little cheap feeling, but everything else is close or better than HD for a LOT less $$

#22 ·
Not that much less money. Ive ridden a bunch of map cruisers. they all have one thing in common. Most are doing their best to impersonate the harley. but its all about personal preference and its in the details.

#27 ·
Harley is the industry standard when it comes to cruisers. I could care less who sells more, it has nothing to do with that. If you like the jap cruisers, go buy one, hopper was asking why people like them, I answered. I've owned both, I prefer one. I personally would never waste my money on the jap cruisers again, not to mention the horrible resale value.

#25 · (Edited)
Damn it, why is gold so expensive? :laughing: I can get silver much cheaper.

#26 ·
^^^No shit, it's a damn rock!

I wish I could afford a Harley :'(

#28 ·
I bought mine to get laid - Not a lot of panties dropping over a Warrior or of the likes....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.