Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

I'm In Fuggers

4K views 42 replies 10 participants last post by  Ohfugit 
#1 ·
Lets roll Bitches - I can finally roll, text and even bring the iPad to watch the Sopranos all while I smoke you fools sans spandex and funny hats

Looking to see if I can get this shit in Teal and yes Patrick, I'll ride with you

#2 ·
Hmm... few observations:

They look like fun going downhill. Does the cost of the trike include a service to drag you and the contraption back up to the top?

Finally - I like being able to stand up on a traditional bike now and again. Other than looking cool and letting a little breeze clear out the nethers, it's a good way to protect the wedding tackle from the abrupt changes in terrain.

I don't imagine that this configuration affords the same luxury - so I will await your solution before purchasing 5 of them and ordering number plates for the big race.

#3 ·
I love love love that I can always count you "in" - Bottom line, I am getting fat and need to do something - There is one of these recumbent shops right around the corner from me and see them pedaling these wacky racers all the time - I stopped in and chatted about them - Fuck they are not cheap but they have some dealer demos I can try out to see if I even like them - They are good for the lower back and the people I have flagged down in the Neighborhood and asked all say the same thing, the trikes are fun and good on the back - I want to be able to wake up early, bust a sweat for 30 mis around the blocks and come home and ready it for the day - I am sure the fad of mine will fade and I'll turn the fucking thing into lawn art but, we'll see

#5 ·
:lmao: - Right? - Prune Smootheis with a Side of Brandy for all

Dinner is at 4:30p, don't be late as I need to take my pills

Reactions: Chicago Performance
#7 ·
Fuck it, I am just going to get another one of these - Pretty much the same yet completely different

#9 ·
I have a bent. I would avoid the trikes. Heavy. If you go with a bent get a two wheeler. J I hardly ever ride my bent. Haven't taken it out this year and rode it once last year. I like a regular road bike much better but I don't have any back issues. They don't climb hills as well no matter what bent riders will tell you. They are pretty low to the ground and you are not real visible in car traffic. I wouldn't ride them on all roads because of the lack of visibility. Of course you could fly your flag to get a little more visibility. I don't have a flag. Did you go to the place on Milwaukee ave in Niles?

#10 ·
Did you go to the place on Milwaukee ave in Niles?
I did - I am off Oakton tween Mil and Prospect so it is right there for me

Still undecided

#13 ·
I go riding through your neighbourhood all the time. Its one of my routes up to the velodrome in Northbrook. I would still stay away from the trikes. I haven't been in that shop in a while but I know that they have bents in there. This shop also used to carry some bents but I haven't been down there in a long time either.

http://www.rapidtransitcycles.com/

I would look at lighter two wheel models. When I bought my bent I bought it from a place in WI.

http://www.hostelshoppe.com/

They have a bigger selection and were the only ones at the time that were carrying the model that I wanted. They also have a catalogue that you can get and you can order stuff from them online.

I went with this one.

http://www.lightningbikes.com/p38/

Back then it was one of the lighter metal frame bents around. I got mine in the faster red color. It also closely mimics the riding position that you would get on a road bike. This type will make you feel like you are on your Harley but sitting in a chair with a back.
I think the shop you went to carries the Barchetta's. http://www.bicycleman.com/recumbents/bacchetta/bacchetta.htm
If they do I would test ride something like that. Bents are a little weird to get used to for the first hour or so. Similar to learning how to drive a stick shift car in some ways. With a two wheel bent you have to get your legs to the pedals quickly to get the bike moving before you timber over. You can't really push off to well to get rolling from a stop sitting on your arse. Most people when they first start riding a bent tend to have sloppy take offs but that goes away once you get used to it. Starting on an uphill from a stop can be a little tricky just like a stick shift when you are getting used to it. You cant see behind you as well on a bent. Harder to crane your neck around than a mountain or road bike. I use a small mirror as do most bent riders. Bents isolate your legs a bit more. Fun bikes but I hardly ride mine because I prefer my road bike. If you start to get serious about getting one and you have any questions let me know. Better to get one that you will be happy with.

#15 ·
Word - I plan to have the crew over for beers and shit once I get the pisser in downstairs

Strek, let me know next ti you roll through so I can be like Sonny from Big Daddy and throw sticks out in the street as you roll by

#22 ·
Low rider

Excellent.

I like the shorter wheel base models a bit better. A little lighter. A little easier to get up to speed and carry speed. They also have carbon fiber models if you want to get extreme and many with full farings. They can be fast on flat terrain for those moments when you feel the need for speed. Some have front fork suspension but unfortunately for you these are not very good on MX or BMX jumps. They probably wont survive sticks in the wheels well but we can try that out when you get one.

Here's a short wheel base carbon model.

http://www.bacchettabikes.com/bikes/performance/carbon-aero-2.0-700c

or a bit more extreme

http://www.lightningbikes.com/f90/index.html

Then wrap in in a full faring if you feel the need for speed.

I don't think you gain much though with carbon on these bikes though. Certainly not much on those superman jumps you like to do.

Fuck it man. Just get yourself a mountain bike.

#24 ·
Just test rode a bunch of these things - 2 different trikes, 4 different type of two wheels with different pedal heights and seat options and bar options and found this one to be the most comfortable and in my price range - The trike I ALMOST bought was 2.5X this thing and I just could not justify it for morning neighborhood bombs to bust the gut size

So, used, in price range and pretty sweet......in its day - Short wheel base dual Susp with all the bad ass components......in its day and perfect for what I need - Super Comfy on the back too - Make fun all ya want but I need to get in shape and am not all into the (50) mile ride days

Attachments

#26 ·
I want to be the first to throw a stick in the wheels. Lets see how far we can get you to fly off that thing.

That's a nice bike. They are light for bents. The smaller lighter wheels will help on initial take off as you have less rotational mass and weight to overcome. You will find that you are running through your gears once you get it rolling as the smaller wheels will require more rotations to carry an equal amount of speed when compared with a larger 700c type wheel. These bikes have a reputation for being quick because of the relative light weight of the bike and the lighter rotational mass. These things are super comfy too. With or without suspension. I do want to see one of those superman jumps. I think it will look more like that Napolean Dynamite video though. I know a lot of folks that run the front suspension on these bikes. Not a lot that run the rears due to the pogo'ing effect. Robs you of drive off the blocks. I think that it comes with a lock out. You may find that you have the rear locked out all the time unless you really are going to do the superman jumps. I don't have any suspension on the model that I have and it works fine and is super comfy. I do wonder about the front fork on my bike. It looks whimpy as hell. In particular for a person my weight. I like the folding bars on your rans. I was thinking of doing that with my bent. I think that you will find that once you get some miles in that you can carry some speed. Bents work great on the flat terrain we have around here. I also think that if you do start riding it you regularly that you will find that 50 mile rides are not really that far. Now I don't often do rides of 50 or more but I do do that at times. They used to have some HPV races up at the velodrome now and then. From where you are at that is only about 9-10 miles away I would guess. We'll have to get together for a bent ride except I'll probably need to order some new rubber for mine. I haven't been on it in over a year and the tires were shot last year. You may want to throw a bag on that thing if you are going more than a couple of miles from home. You'll need to carry some tubes and some CO2 or a pump and some tire irons. Might want to bring a cell phone with you. Water bottles. Camel back wont be comfy on that bike. Bike computer of some sort. They have some real cheap ones that will give you some idea of speed and distance.
You might want to mount a handlebar mirror if you are going to be riding streets at all. Just helps to know what direction that car that is going to hit you is coming at. I like it.

#27 ·
Thx Ladies - This contraption is a hoot - I bought it to get up early in the a.m before work and bust a quick sweat bombing the streets in the neighborhood - There is a whole underground world of pre 7am exercise people - WTF? - It is fun and am glad I did not buy a trike - It was close but I could not justify 1800 smackers

#28 ·
This is the Trike I was VERY close to buying - These things are a TRIP to ride

Attachments

#30 ·
I saved the receipt and can take back Ole Yeller ONLY if we get matching gear and while on the road, ONLY communicate with hand signals

Fuck Red Bull, THIS plan has wings

#32 ·
Wearing two right now...............heavy flow day

#33 ·
Been averaging 30 mins, 4 times a week at 6a for the past 3 weeks - Lost 1.732 lbs - I can now fit into my nipple high cream color sans-a-belts

Dig

#35 ·
The are inspirational if they are nothing else - Other than drop dead sexy that is

#36 ·
Time to upgrade - I love the RANS but those little wheels gotta go - I like the shocks and solid feel but just rode this and LOVE it - Will put the RANS on their floor on Consign and get this tomorrow - From the site:

We’ve had a bit of extra time around the shop here recently and figured we’d have a little fun with a shop favorite. You might be looking at these photos and thinking this bike looks like a Giro 26 but something is very different about it. What began life as a stock Bacchetta Giro 26 has been reborn as… The BFB. Oftentimes on the rough, post-winter streets around here, the narrow, high pressure stock tires can be a bit jarring to even the most seasoned riders. With the BFB, we went with as fat a tire as we could fit and now go searching for the next patch of rough road. Maybe you have some experience with lower pressure fat tires and know exactly what we’re talking about and, if not, you should stop by and give this bike a try. It may not be the lightest bike out there but, we’d put it up against a full suspension two wheeler any day.

Now down to the details:
Frame: Bacchetta Giro 26 (Medium/Large Size)
Fork: Surly Disc Trucker
Seat: Bacchetta Euromesh (we can swap on a Recurve seat for no extra charge)
Drivetrain: Bacchetta Standard 3x9
Brakes: Avid BB7 mountain disc brakes
Wheelset: Velocity Blunt B35 rims laced onto Velocity sealed ATB disc hubs
Tires: Schwalbe Big Apple 26 x 2.35
Pedals: Wellgo LU-A52 BMX (our favorite platform pedal with lots of grip)

Attachments

#38 ·
I dig it the most daddy-o as I ripped it around yesterday.

This is not as light as the other Giros as it has beefier forks and of course the fat rims and tires - I did ride a Giro 26 ATT which was light as hell an had some skinny ass tires - Felt like i was riding on the edge of an envelope with how thin those tires are and how with a sneeze the damn thing turned in - I am just using these bikes for bombing the neighborhood streets at 6am to reduce my fat ass - If I was going to suit up and pedal for 100 miles, the ATT would be my choice but for bumps and neighborhood sticks and crap, I am digging this modded out Giro - Super smooth too - I should have it around noon'ish today

Here is the ATT I rode too in a side by side compare - Just like the feel of the fat tires and beefy, planted feel of the other Giro better -

Attachments

#39 ·

At first I thought this pic was the gayest thing I ever saw you do. Now that I see this thread I retract that statement. WTF is that?? So you move the recliner that is in your living room and attach it to this gay as contraption and you ride around the neighborhood so everyone can see you have turned in ur balls to the wife? Now I know you are serious about not picking up any new snatch. I don't even think the milf in ur subdivision will even give you a second look if they see you rolling past them while they are bent over gardening. Soon you are going to tell us you traded in the Harley for a trike so you can detach that recliner from the pedal bike to the motorcycle. Seriously dud this is as gay as it gets. If I come by your house and you are in spandex and a bicycle helmet I will personal beat the shit out of you.

#41 ·
HAHAHAHA - Awesome - Dude, my back cannot take standard bikes and this is like riding a recumbent in the Gym - Very comfortable and is getting me back in shape

No spandex at all bro - Just my daisy dukes and a wife beater

Love that pic and that spicy sausage was awesome - Fuck it was hot that day

#42 ·
It arrives in 30 mins - BALLS & WEENAHS

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.