Why do my ankles hurt when I run - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Home Forums Race Schedule vBGarage Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Chicagoland Sportbikes > Non-moto related Hobbies > Health & Fitness
CLSB Store Article Section Local Radar Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance

Health & Fitness Talk to fellow members about getting in shape, to diets, to supplements and what does and doesn't work.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:01 AM   #1
AgentofDarkness

Sportbike: 05 CBR600RR
Years Riding: 1 year
How you found us: CBR Forum
AgentofDarkness Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!AgentofDarkness Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!AgentofDarkness Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!AgentofDarkness Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!AgentofDarkness Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!AgentofDarkness Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!AgentofDarkness Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!AgentofDarkness Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!AgentofDarkness Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!AgentofDarkness Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!AgentofDarkness Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!
Why do my ankles hurt when I run

I've been regularly working out since January, an hour of cardio a day. I was doing an hour of biking a day until about last week. I lost ~14lbs but the last couple of weeks my weight has become pretty stable and I need to loose another 10-15lbs so I decided to start running. Last week I ran 2 miles on Wed, Thurs, and Friday and I ran 2 miles this morning. Whenever I run my ankles hurt alot. Usually the pain kicks in after half a mile and my right ankle is worse then my left. The bone right above my ankle also hurts. Do you guys have any recommendation on how I can fix this? Currently I wear a pair of basketball shoes.
AgentofDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2010, 10:10 AM   #2
streetracin1820
^^^Bad for your hearing

Sportbike: 2007 gsxr 600
Years Riding: Long enough to know theres alot more i have to learn in this sport
How you found us: heard from a member
streetracin1820 Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!streetracin1820 Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!streetracin1820 Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!streetracin1820 Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!streetracin1820 Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!streetracin1820 Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!streetracin1820 Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!streetracin1820 Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!streetracin1820 Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!streetracin1820 Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!streetracin1820 Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!
Not sure, Whens the last time you ran, If your body is not use to the running that could potentially be the problem. Also are your calfs Overly tight maybe, Might need to stretch them out fully. If you have access to hot tub, I swear by them it helped me when my knees were tight from heavy lifting

Not a doctor, just a couple of guesses for you

Nothing is impossible the second we say ill try your already admiting you can be defeated, and the second you say i cant or its to hard youve already failed.
streetracin1820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:13 AM   #3
beac83
ATGATT

Sportbike: A couple
Years Riding: too long to have any sense
How you found us: NESBA
beac83 Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!beac83 Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!beac83 Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!beac83 Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!beac83 Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!beac83 Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!beac83 Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!beac83 Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!beac83 Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!beac83 Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!beac83 Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!
1). Run on the grass, not on paved areas. The softer ground will cushion the impact of your footfalls

2). You are landing on your heels. Stop That. Land on the ball of your foot. Landing on the heels puts incredible impact forces on your ankles, knees and hips, and will damage them over the long term. As you step, tilt your toes downward and land on the ball of the foot, letting the weight of your body coming down on that leg bring the heel down. When stepping off, push off with the ball of the foot as well.

3) you might have tendinitis of the Achilles tendon from not doing #1 and #2 properly. rest up and let it heal, or at least wear an elastic ankle brace.

Last edited by beac83; 03-22-2010 at 10:16 AM..
beac83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:14 AM   #4
Paladin
Hot-Wire Her With A Pin

Sportbike: Blue Mini Cooper
Years Riding: Done for now
How you found us: Bad weather bikers
Paladin Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Paladin Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Paladin Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Paladin Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Paladin Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Paladin Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Paladin Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Paladin Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Paladin Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Paladin Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Paladin Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!
Wrong shoes definitely. You can't run in basketball shoes they are not meant for it. Get fitted for running shoes at fleet feet or a running store. Even Nike . Com can tell you what you need.
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:18 AM   #5
ChicagoFactory
VTwin FTW!

Sportbike: 2013 Ducati Diavel Cromo
Years Riding: 20
How you found us: Friend
ChicagoFactory Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!ChicagoFactory Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!ChicagoFactory Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!ChicagoFactory Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!ChicagoFactory Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!ChicagoFactory Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!ChicagoFactory Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!ChicagoFactory Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!ChicagoFactory Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!ChicagoFactory Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!ChicagoFactory Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!
You're too f*cking fat. Put the fork down and loose some weight.

Seriously though, like Beac83 said, your probably running flat footed or you have some bone spurs in your ankles. Did you have an injury to your ankles before??

For good running shoes cheap, check out http://www.joesnewbalanceoutlet.com/

"Life is all about ass ... either you are covering it, kicking it, kissing it, sitting on it or trying to get it."

Last edited by ChicagoFactory; 03-22-2010 at 10:20 AM..
ChicagoFactory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:19 AM   #6
beac83
ATGATT

beac83 Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!beac83 Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!beac83 Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!beac83 Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!beac83 Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!beac83 Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!beac83 Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!beac83 Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!beac83 Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!beac83 Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!beac83 Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by auditech View Post
If you can sprint for 2 miles.
Wat? The above was what I was taught as a HS sophomore while on the track and cross country teams. I learned it after suffering acute tendinitis from doing it wrong. That was over 40 years ago and I still distinctly remember the pain. Changing my step technique fixed the problem.

Last edited by beac83; 03-22-2010 at 10:23 AM..
beac83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:22 AM   #7
auditech
Sunny and 70

Sportbike: 2008 Tuono 1000 R
Years Riding: 12 years
How you found us: GSXR.com
auditech Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!auditech Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!auditech Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!auditech Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!auditech Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!auditech Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!auditech Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!auditech Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!auditech Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!auditech Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!auditech Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!
Dammit, I wasn't fast enough. I deleted my post. I don't want to start a heel strike vs toe strike thread jack.
auditech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:26 AM   #8
beac83
ATGATT

Not a question of style, a question of pain. I ran 880, mile and 2-mile. Cross Country was 2.75 mi, then changed to 3 miles when I was an upper classman. No sprints for me, I'm too slow.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:28 AM   #9
AgentofDarkness

AgentofDarkness Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!AgentofDarkness Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!AgentofDarkness Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!AgentofDarkness Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!AgentofDarkness Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!AgentofDarkness Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!AgentofDarkness Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!AgentofDarkness Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!AgentofDarkness Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!AgentofDarkness Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!AgentofDarkness Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!
The last time I ran was probably in high school (4 years ago) and even then I didn't really run. I just made it look like I was doing work. I was pretty lazy back then. I ran 2.25 miles today and that is probably the most I've ever ran at once. I haven't really had any ankle problems in the past and they really only hurt when I run (which is why I never really ran before). Last week I was having alot of pain in my hips, but that went away over the weekend and its fine right now. I will try technique beac mentioned next time. I run on the treadmill in the gym so I can't really run on grass. There is a track in the gym but I like the treadmill because it helps me keep a steady pace.

I think that when I run I land on the heel of my foot and then take off on the ball of my foot. So I should be landing on the balls of my feet and taking off on the balls of my feet as well?
Old 03-22-2010, 11:50 AM   #10
Cerk
Grid Marshall.

Sportbike: Tweener
Years Riding: Do I have to start over now?
How you found us: Followed the Bread Crumbs...
Cerk Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Cerk Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Cerk Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Cerk Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Cerk Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Cerk Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Cerk Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Cerk Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Cerk Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Cerk Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Cerk Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!
Have you been running on a treadmill? There's a huge difference between real locomotion and treadmills. Does it hurt right in your ankle or in the shin? Could be shin splints, which is normal and subsides as you go...there are a lot of stabilizer musces in there that are out of shape without you really knowing it until you use them.

Also, the wrong shoes and running posture/technique can definitely play a role...although shifting styles to landing on the balls of your feet can be really difficult for some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacitus
In a state where corruption abounds, laws must be very numerous.
Cerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:53 AM   #11
Zero
a hollow voice says plugh

Sportbike: sold
Years Riding: legally- 7
How you found us: don't remember
Zero Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Zero Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Zero Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Zero Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Zero Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Zero Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Zero Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Zero Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Zero Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Zero Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Zero Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!
You could also be doing an activity you aren't used to doing/haven't done in a long time and are just sore in combination with what has been mentioned already.
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:53 AM   #12
2weelpilot
Super Moderator

Sportbike: yz250f
Years Riding: 25 years
How you found us: dont recall
2weelpilot Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!2weelpilot Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!2weelpilot Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!2weelpilot Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!2weelpilot Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!2weelpilot Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!2weelpilot Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!2weelpilot Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!2weelpilot Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!2weelpilot Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!2weelpilot Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentofDarkness View Post
The last time I ran was probably in high school (4 years ago) and even then I didn't really run. I just made it look like I was doing work. I was pretty lazy back then. I ran 2.25 miles today and that is probably the most I've ever ran at once. I haven't really had any ankle problems in the past and they really only hurt when I run (which is why I never really ran before). Last week I was having alot of pain in my hips, but that went away over the weekend and its fine right now. I will try technique beac mentioned next time. I run on the treadmill in the gym so I can't really run on grass. There is a track in the gym but I like the treadmill because it helps me keep a steady pace.

I think that when I run I land on the heel of my foot and then take off on the ball of my foot. So I should be landing on the balls of my feet and taking off on the balls of my feet as well?
wait- you graduated HS only 4 years ago? holy crap

When the tailgate drops..the bullshit stops
Hunt ethically - Hunt with a trained Retriever !
2weelpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:57 AM   #13
ill_ag
pfft.

Sportbike: 01 F4i (Well, I HAD one, anyway)
Years Riding: 7
How you found us: I google myself regularly
ill_ag Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!ill_ag Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!ill_ag Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!ill_ag Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!ill_ag Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!ill_ag Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!ill_ag Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!ill_ag Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!ill_ag Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!ill_ag Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!ill_ag Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoFactory View Post
For good running shoes cheap, check out http://www.joesnewbalanceoutlet.com/
That is a good idea only for people who have already been fitted properly, in person. Once you know "your shoe" then you can poke around online to find a pair cheaper than your local running shoe store sells it.

So #1, you need a proper running shoe. Do not get fit at Dick's sporting goods or a New Balance or Nike store. Go to a running shoe store like Fleet Feet or Dick Pond's. The shoe will like cost about $90.

#2, this could be as simple as the muscles around your ankle aren't yet strong enough for your running since it's a new activity for you. However, it is probably more complicated than that. Go see an orthopedic doctor and have it checked out. If you ignore it you risk needing surgery and you don't want that-- for a foot you're looking at ~6 weeks of missed work.
ill_ag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:02 PM   #14
ninjaeric
CLSB's Jesus Lover

Sportbike: 05 ninja scooter, 07 baby gixxer yes a blue and white one
Years Riding: i like turtles so i cant drink orange juice anymore
How you found us: google
ninjaeric Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!ninjaeric Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!ninjaeric Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!ninjaeric Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!ninjaeric Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!ninjaeric Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!ninjaeric Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!ninjaeric Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!ninjaeric Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!ninjaeric Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!ninjaeric Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Wrong shoes definitely. You can't run in basketball shoes they are not meant for it. Get fitted for running shoes at fleet feet or a running store. Even Nike . Com can tell you what you need.
this is the most likely thing to help you. go to fleet feet - get a good pair of running shoes with advice from a sales person there. they will also examine your feet to determine if you would also benefit from an orthotic to correct any foot deformities (flat arch, pronation/supination, etc). if this does not fix the problem then go see your doc.
ninjaeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:09 PM   #15
truckstop

Sportbike: RC31
Years Riding: Since '03
How you found us: it's a small world afterall
truckstop Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!truckstop Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!truckstop Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!truckstop Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!truckstop Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!truckstop Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!truckstop Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!truckstop Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!truckstop Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!truckstop Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!truckstop Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ill_ag View Post
So #1, you need a proper running shoe. Do not get fit at Dick's sporting goods or a New Balance or Nike store. Go to a running shoe store like Fleet Feet or Dick Pond's. The shoe will like cost about $90.
Yes. This. Once you find the right shoe, (and buy them where they helped you) when you need your next pair you can cheap out and buy them online.

UNAPOLOGETIC FAN OF THINGS THAT ARE OLD AND SLOW
truckstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:19 PM   #16
AgentofDarkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2weelpilot View Post
Yea, I'm a senior in college.

I've been running on a treadmill because its much easier for me to set a steady pace. If I ran on the track I know I would just stop ever couple of laps or walk. This way I'm forced to keep running.

It hurts the most right above my ankle on right side (of my right foot). After I stop running the pain starts going away after like 10 minutes. By the time I leave the gym its pretty much gone.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:29 PM   #17
ninjaeric
CLSB's Jesus Lover

Sportbike: 05 ninja scooter, 07 baby gixxer yes a blue and white one
Years Riding: i like turtles so i cant drink orange juice anymore
How you found us: google
ninjaeric Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!ninjaeric Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!ninjaeric Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!ninjaeric Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!ninjaeric Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!ninjaeric Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!ninjaeric Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!ninjaeric Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!ninjaeric Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!ninjaeric Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!ninjaeric Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentofDarkness View Post
Yea, I'm a senior in college.

I've been running on a treadmill because its much easier for me to set a steady pace. If I ran on the track I know I would just stop ever couple of laps or walk. This way I'm forced to keep running.

It hurts the most right above my ankle on right side (of my right foot). After I stop running the pain starts going away after like 10 minutes. By the time I leave the gym its pretty much gone.
sounds like you have supination tendencies - an orthotic as i mentioned previously should correct this.
ninjaeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:35 PM   #18
Chicago Performance
DONATING MEMBER

Sportbike: Trackdayz "I" bike!
Years Riding: since last year
How you found us: In a fortune cookie
Chicago Performance Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Chicago Performance Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Chicago Performance Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Chicago Performance Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Chicago Performance Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Chicago Performance Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Chicago Performance Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Chicago Performance Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Chicago Performance Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Chicago Performance Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Chicago Performance Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!
Get fitted with proper running shoes. Then take it easy and be patient. My shins were hurting the first few runs I did and still do sometimes if I do a longer run. It takes a while for your "running" muscles to adapt to the strain of running. Give it time and see if it gets any better.

http://www.chicagoperformance.com/
Chicago Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:43 PM   #19
ChicagoFactory
VTwin FTW!

Sportbike: 2013 Ducati Diavel Cromo
Years Riding: 20
How you found us: Friend
ChicagoFactory Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!ChicagoFactory Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!ChicagoFactory Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!ChicagoFactory Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!ChicagoFactory Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!ChicagoFactory Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!ChicagoFactory Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!ChicagoFactory Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!ChicagoFactory Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!ChicagoFactory Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!ChicagoFactory Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2weelpilot View Post
Feeling old now Mike??

"Life is all about ass ... either you are covering it, kicking it, kissing it, sitting on it or trying to get it."
ChicagoFactory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:44 PM   #20
Chicago Performance
DONATING MEMBER

Sportbike: Trackdayz "I" bike!
Years Riding: since last year
How you found us: In a fortune cookie
Chicago Performance Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Chicago Performance Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Chicago Performance Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Chicago Performance Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Chicago Performance Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Chicago Performance Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Chicago Performance Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Chicago Performance Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Chicago Performance Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Chicago Performance Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Chicago Performance Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!
Mike IS old.

http://www.chicagoperformance.com/
Chicago Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:41 PM   #21
jimzx9r

Sportbike: .
Years Riding: .
How you found us: .
jimzx9r Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!jimzx9r Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!jimzx9r Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!jimzx9r Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!jimzx9r Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!jimzx9r Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!jimzx9r Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!jimzx9r Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!jimzx9r Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!jimzx9r Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!jimzx9r Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!
interesting article:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/mosl...ste-money.html
jimzx9r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 05:25 PM   #22
Muskrat
Cruising through life

Sportbike: '11 Harley VRSCF
Years Riding: 7 years
How you found us: searched under "degenerates"
Muskrat Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Muskrat Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Muskrat Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Muskrat Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Muskrat Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Muskrat Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Muskrat Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Muskrat Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Muskrat Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Muskrat Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Muskrat Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!
good/proper fitting running shoes along with adequate rest time (cross train if you have to work out every day) and stretching will work things out

Quote:
Originally Posted by beac83 View Post

2). You are landing on your heels. Stop That. Land on the ball of your foot. Landing on the heels puts incredible impact forces on your ankles, knees and hips, and will damage them over the long term. As you step, tilt your toes downward and land on the ball of the foot, letting the weight of your body coming down on that leg bring the heel down. When stepping off, push off with the ball of the foot as well.
i disagree with this. proper running form should have him landing on his heel slightly to the outside edge. then as the rest of the foot contacts the ground the foot should rotate slightly to the inside (pronate) as you push off the front of your foot slightly towards the ball.

now landing on the ball of your foot is correct if you are a sprinter since that keeps contact time on the ground minimal, thus making each stride quicker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoFactory View Post
You're too f*cking fat. Put the fork down and loose some weight.
lulz... this was gonna be my initial response
Muskrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 06:45 PM   #23
truckstop

Sportbike: RC31
Years Riding: Since '03
How you found us: it's a small world afterall
truckstop Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!truckstop Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!truckstop Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!truckstop Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!truckstop Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!truckstop Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!truckstop Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!truckstop Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!truckstop Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!truckstop Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!truckstop Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimzx9r View Post
It's a nice theory, and X gave it a try with the Vibram five finger shoes and while it fixed his issue with ITB from running in the wrong running shoes for a couple of months, he ended up with a hairline fracture in one of his toes and plantar faciitis within a couple weeks.

He went and got fitted for running shoes and insoles.

My uneducated guess is that if you run barefoot long distances from a young age, and keep at it, you're good. If you make the switch later in life, go SLOW and gradual. The girl at the running shop said they're a good training tool for different muscles at short distances, but for long distances to use the cushy shoes. He runs mid-foot/toes by the way. He dropped a lot of time when he adjusted to running that way. The heel still gets play, but it's not gratuitous heel landing. (I pace him on the bike and have spent some time behind him. I look at his feet when I'm not staring at... nevermind.)

UNAPOLOGETIC FAN OF THINGS THAT ARE OLD AND SLOW
truckstop is offline   Reply With Quote