Dog training - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Home Forums Race Schedule vBGarage Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Chicagoland Sportbikes > Non-moto related Hobbies > The Pets Forum
CLSB Store Article Section Local Radar Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance

The Pets Forum A forum dedicated to our little furry love ones.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:23 PM   #1
turtle*

Sportbike: 03 SV650n
How you found us: aliens
turtle* FNG
Dog training

We got this dog for about 6 months now. No history on it.

Vet says. She is about 2-3 year old, Pomeranian mix with a chichua.

Is it too late to get her trained? She is potty trained for the most part. But doesn't listen, isn't friendly with others. Alone she is good. She walks where she wants.

I would like her to stop at the corners or curb while walking. Walk next to me vs in front. Learn to sit and shut up on command.

I wouldn't mind paying like $200 if someone can train her. PETCO offers $120 for entry level training
turtle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2012, 07:41 PM   #2
2weelpilot
Super Moderator

Sportbike: yz250f
Years Riding: 25 years
How you found us: dont recall
2weelpilot Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!2weelpilot Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!2weelpilot Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!2weelpilot Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!2weelpilot Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!2weelpilot Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!2weelpilot Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!2weelpilot Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!2weelpilot Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!2weelpilot Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!2weelpilot Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!
its never too late but if youre not going to be firm, consistent and ongoing then dont waste your money.

Are you looking to send her off to be trained or do it yourself?

When the tailgate drops..the bullshit stops
Hunt ethically - Hunt with a trained Retriever !
2weelpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:45 PM   #3
HDTony
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.
HDTony Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!HDTony Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!HDTony Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!HDTony Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!HDTony Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!HDTony Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!HDTony Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!HDTony Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!HDTony Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!HDTony Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!HDTony Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!
my trainer.

acloserbond.com

they are very good

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
HDTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:55 PM   #4
michowski

Sportbike: 08 gsx six fiddy F
Years Riding: 1
How you found us: forum link
michowski Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!michowski Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!michowski Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!michowski Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!michowski Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!michowski Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!michowski Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!michowski Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!michowski Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!michowski Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!michowski Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!
http://www.cesarsway.com/

This guys is a master. I use his techniques everyday whether its with my dog, neighborhood dogs, or at the dog park.

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
Thomas Jefferson
michowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:39 PM   #5
FiReBReTHa
U-P-G-R-A-Y-E-D-D

Sportbike: 04 GSXR6
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: I thought it was a line for muffins
FiReBReTHa Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!FiReBReTHa Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!FiReBReTHa Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!FiReBReTHa Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!FiReBReTHa Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!FiReBReTHa Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!FiReBReTHa Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!FiReBReTHa Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!FiReBReTHa Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!FiReBReTHa Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!FiReBReTHa Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!
Cats are very stubborn animals. You can try to be firm but typically they have it their way.

Sometimes they only connect with a single family member and disassociate from other people, definitely a hard road ahead.
FiReBReTHa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:15 AM   #6
Lonely Raven
The Halo hides my Horns

Sportbike: SV650
Years Riding: 1 year
How you found us: Google
Lonely Raven Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Lonely Raven Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Lonely Raven Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Lonely Raven Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Lonely Raven Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Lonely Raven Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Lonely Raven Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Lonely Raven Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Lonely Raven Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Lonely Raven Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Lonely Raven Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2weelpilot View Post
its never too late but if youre not going to be firm, consistent and ongoing then dont waste your money.

Are you looking to send her off to be trained or do it yourself?

This is key right here. Whatever you do, you *must* be diligent and consistent, otherwise you're wasting your time.

I too like Cesar Milan; the dog psychology makes sense and seems to work. I have a very well behaved Pit Bull that was an abandoned/rescue case. She's still got some issues, but she's very well trained.

Please keep in mind, I'm of the belief that it's the owner that needs to be trained, not the dog. So if you send your dog off to be trained, but don't stick with it *yourself*, then you're wasting your time and money.

http://www.firespeedtactical.com

My ZenFolio Gallery: www.LonelyRaven.ZenFolio.com
Lonely Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:06 PM   #7
puedo_yo

Sportbike: s1000rr
Years Riding: 2 yrs on the street 6 yrs on the racetrack
How you found us: search engine
puedo_yo FNG
You're trying to keep something with even a percentage of Pomeranian ancestry quiet?

. . . good luck with that.
puedo_yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:33 PM   #8
HDTony
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.
HDTony Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!HDTony Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!HDTony Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!HDTony Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!HDTony Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!HDTony Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!HDTony Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!HDTony Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!HDTony Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!HDTony Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!HDTony Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post

Please keep in mind, I'm of the belief that it's the owner that needs to be trained, not the dog. So if you send your dog off to be trained, but don't stick with it *yourself*, then you're wasting your time and money.
absolutly. I sent Rusty away for a week. came back a whole different dog. but i had to go through a class, to learn all the commands, and how to work with him to reinforce his training. but I can say it was the best investment I ever made in my Dog.

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
HDTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:07 AM   #9
deefib

Sportbike: Ducati Monster 900s,TT-R 125LE.SV650S, R6
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: ChicagoMonster,aka big Jeff
deefib Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!deefib Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!deefib Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!deefib Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!deefib Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!deefib Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!deefib Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!deefib Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!deefib Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!deefib Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!deefib Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!
Cesar Milan for the psychology.(calm submissive state is crucial, IMHO)

Pinch collar- I recommend it highly. My totally untrained rescue dog was heeling in 10 minutes with this collar. It is a fantastic training tool for all other behaviors as well.

DAILY consistent discipline- the dog has to obey/work to get any kind of reward:food, play, affection.

You leave the house/building 1st, then the dog. You enter first, then the dog.
No leash on or off till dog is sitting. EVERY TIME.

Short, 10 minute training sessions 2-3 x a day.

I have a lot of other suggestions, most of which came from the book " How to Teach a New Dog Old Tricks " by Ian Dunbar (Amazon)

Feel free to PM me with questions.

"The two most important days of your life are the day you are born, and the day you find out why." -Mark Twain
deefib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:08 AM   #10
Lonely Raven
The Halo hides my Horns

Sportbike: SV650
Years Riding: 1 year
How you found us: Google
Lonely Raven Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Lonely Raven Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Lonely Raven Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Lonely Raven Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Lonely Raven Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Lonely Raven Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Lonely Raven Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Lonely Raven Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Lonely Raven Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Lonely Raven Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Lonely Raven Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!
^^^ Those are all excellent, and I agree 100%

Especially the short training sessions. My Pitbull and I are both ADD, short sessions seem to stick better than long ones. Frequency and consistency helps a ton.

http://www.firespeedtactical.com

My ZenFolio Gallery: www.LonelyRaven.ZenFolio.com
Lonely Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:20 AM   #11
Gamble
With your mom.

Sportbike: bigwheel
How you found us: referred for some reason..
Gamble Alright someone is just kissin assGamble Alright someone is just kissin assGamble Alright someone is just kissin ass
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle* View Post
We got this dog for about 6 months now. No history on it.

Vet says. She is about 2-3 year old, Pomeranian mix with a chichua.

Is it too late to get her trained? She is potty trained for the most part. But doesn't listen, isn't friendly with others. Alone she is good. She walks where she wants.

I would like her to stop at the corners or curb while walking. Walk next to me vs in front. Learn to sit and shut up on command.

I wouldn't mind paying like $200 if someone can train her. PETCO offers $120 for entry level training
You will soon come to find out that the smaller dog the harder to train and chihuahuas are little fuckers. I had 2 and they don't listen for shit and take a long time to get trained half decent
04 600RR (Sold)
01 ex500 (Sold)
92 GSXR 750
93 vulcan 150 (Sold)
Gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:00 PM   #12
ThirdgenTa

Sportbike: 2001 zx6
How you found us: Search
ThirdgenTa Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!ThirdgenTa Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!ThirdgenTa Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!ThirdgenTa Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!ThirdgenTa Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!ThirdgenTa Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!ThirdgenTa Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!ThirdgenTa Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!ThirdgenTa Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!ThirdgenTa Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!ThirdgenTa Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!
Some pretty good advice in here. I've been training twice per week for the last 2 years with a German Shepherd (at the german shepherd club) and I have learned a lot of important things. Some of them were already stated in this thread but I will state them again.
Consistancy- If you train your dog to do a command then you make them do it. So if you want to train the dog to come on command you can do this. Keep the dog on a leash in the house. (of course when you are watching her) But tell them to come, if they dont come right away, reel her in and give her a treat when she gets to you. Keep repeating this and practice practice practice. If the dog is being stubborn and wont do it and you give up because you are frustrated, the dog wins and will continue to do what it wants.
If you give the dog a command don't keep repeating it. They need to do it the first time not choose when to do so.

The prong collar is great and I highly recommend it for medium to large size dogs. For smaller dogs I suppose it would be fine, just be more gentle They are designed for you to give dogs corrections. When they pull on the leash you give a "pop" and they will know they are doing wrong. Once they do the right thing, you reward them with praise and maybe a treat. The great thing about the prong collar is if used correctly it won't hurt like a choke chain will. I put it around my neck and gave the other end of the leash to my 80lb dog and let her aggressively pull it back and forth and pull me around the room. It was uncomfortable, but did not hurt. They release when you release, unlike the choke chain sometimes.
Also, if you want the dog to focus on you when you are walking, keep treats in your teeth. Tell them to watch you when you are walking or when its sitting in front of you. Spit the treats into its mouth when it makes eye contact. Sounds weird but it works.
I could go on and on, but I will hold back so I dont write a book. If you have any specifics just let me know
Training classes can be great. Do your research. Most of those classes by petsmart or petco will only treat train. They teach sit, down stay, come etc... and only "Bribe" the dogs with a treat. You will not always have a treat on you 24/7 so the dog needs to listen to you without treats as well. I have also found that most of those places will not help you with behavioral/obedience issues. Some of it is because they dont know, some of it they will say you need to take advanced classes to address the issue.
We took our dog xena to some obedience classes when she was a puppy. She already knew all the commands, but would choose not to listen. She also would pee in the house and bite us all the time. The instructor promised this would be covered, but it wasn't. They wanted more money from us to answer the question.
The place we go to now has worked one on one with us to fix these issues. And it's funny cause its the cheapest training facility around and they know and care way more than any of these other places.
Good luck with your training.

Last edited by ThirdgenTa; 02-07-2012 at 07:04 PM..
ThirdgenTa is offline   Reply With Quote