Motobecane.....any good? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Home Forums Race Schedule vBGarage Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Chicagoland Sportbikes > Non-moto related Hobbies > Health & Fitness > Cycling
CLSB Store Article Section Local Radar Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance

Old 06-11-2009, 04:26 PM   #1
Julian@MotoCARR
Automotive Afficianado

Sportbike: Trek
Years Riding: 3285 days and counting
How you found us: CLSB found me...
Julian@MotoCARR Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Julian@MotoCARR Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Julian@MotoCARR Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Julian@MotoCARR Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Julian@MotoCARR Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Julian@MotoCARR Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Julian@MotoCARR Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Julian@MotoCARR Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Julian@MotoCARR Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Julian@MotoCARR Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Julian@MotoCARR Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!
Motobecane.....any good?

Been looking at:

Motobecane 500DS ~$500

Motobecane 600DS ~$550

Motobecane 700DS ~$600

Anyone ride on any of these or comment on Motobecane brand in general? MTBR people seem to give them decent reviews, but I can't tell where the difference in price comes from due to my lack of bike knowledge.

Only difference I see is color, price, and the 700DS has a wave rotor

Other options in this category that I should be considering?
Julian@MotoCARR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2009, 04:29 PM   #2
trkyleg
Eat a bag o' dix!

Sportbike: ratty one
Years Riding: a few days
How you found us: Uncle Bad Touch
trkyleg Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!trkyleg Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!trkyleg Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!trkyleg Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!trkyleg Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!trkyleg Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!trkyleg Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!trkyleg Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!trkyleg Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!trkyleg Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!trkyleg Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOhhhhhhhh Lance.......

-"You will meet your destiny on the road of avoidance."

-"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."

-"It's not considered premarital sex if you don't plan on getting married."
trkyleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 04:31 PM   #3
Chicago Performance
DONATING MEMBER

Sportbike: Trackdayz "I" bike!
Years Riding: since last year
How you found us: In a fortune cookie
Chicago Performance Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Chicago Performance Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Chicago Performance Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Chicago Performance Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Chicago Performance Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Chicago Performance Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Chicago Performance Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Chicago Performance Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Chicago Performance Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Chicago Performance Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Chicago Performance Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!
I got nothing. I can't provide any assistance here.

http://www.chicagoperformance.com/
Chicago Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 04:35 PM   #4
MoparBoyy
CLSB's Florida Chapter.

Sportbike: Ducati
Years Riding: 3 days
How you found us: unemployment office
MoparBoyy THE PIMP WITH THE MOST!MoparBoyy THE PIMP WITH THE MOST!MoparBoyy THE PIMP WITH THE MOST!MoparBoyy THE PIMP WITH THE MOST!MoparBoyy THE PIMP WITH THE MOST!MoparBoyy THE PIMP WITH THE MOST!MoparBoyy THE PIMP WITH THE MOST!MoparBoyy THE PIMP WITH THE MOST!MoparBoyy THE PIMP WITH THE MOST!MoparBoyy THE PIMP WITH THE MOST!MoparBoyy THE PIMP WITH THE MOST!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Performance View Post
I got nothing. I can't provide any assistance here.
i stayed at a Holiday Inn express and also have nothing.

1997 Dodge Viper GTS
2013 Dodge Dart Rallye
MoparBoyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 05:14 PM   #5
Dr. D
Bop your way home...

Sportbike: Hypermotard
Years Riding: since 99'
How you found us: Googled "bullshit artists"
Dr. D Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Dr. D Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Dr. D Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Dr. D Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Dr. D Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Dr. D Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Dr. D Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Dr. D Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Dr. D Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Dr. D Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Dr. D Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!
As a company they make a few good bikes, good values for the components that they wear. Frames are built just like all the big names (Trek, Specialized, etc.), sometimes out of the same factory. The bike you have listed here....garbage. The suspension design is outdated and inefficient, and the shocks on all the models show suck, so they will not help things.

Better off spending your money on a hardtail from them, or a little more $$$ on a full suspension from a more reputable company.
Dr. D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 05:27 PM   #6
Julian@MotoCARR
Automotive Afficianado

Julian@MotoCARR Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Julian@MotoCARR Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Julian@MotoCARR Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Julian@MotoCARR Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Julian@MotoCARR Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Julian@MotoCARR Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Julian@MotoCARR Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Julian@MotoCARR Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Julian@MotoCARR Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Julian@MotoCARR Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Julian@MotoCARR Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!
Like the Gary Fisher Cronus?

Village Cycle has it on sale for $551.99
Old 06-11-2009, 05:29 PM   #7
Julian@MotoCARR
Automotive Afficianado

How can I tell what components on a bike are decent vs garbage? From what I can tell, the high end stuff almost looks like artwork and usually comes in a variety of anodized colors LOL.

I'm basically looking for a road bike with the ability to cut through rough terrain and the occasional forest preserve dirt road. Not going to be hitting hard core trails and such.

Last edited by Julian@MotoCARR; 06-11-2009 at 05:31 PM..
Old 06-11-2009, 05:39 PM   #8
Dr. D
Bop your way home...

Dr. D Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Dr. D Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Dr. D Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Dr. D Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Dr. D Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Dr. D Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Dr. D Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Dr. D Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Dr. D Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Dr. D Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Dr. D Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/.../fly_TI_09.htm

This bike from Motobecane for instance is a phenominal deal, a bit higher in price but it carries the best of the best in terms of components. they sell out of this bike every year.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:42 PM   #9
Julian@MotoCARR
Automotive Afficianado

If only I had that kind of scratch
Old 06-11-2009, 06:11 PM   #10
Dr. D
Bop your way home...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostnGTI02 View Post
How can I tell what components on a bike are decent vs garbage? From what I can tell, the high end stuff almost looks like artwork and usually comes in a variety of anodized colors LOL.
Components...you just have to do your research, peice by peice. After time you can get a good idea just by glancing at the spec sheet.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:13 PM   #11
Dr. D
Bop your way home...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostnGTI02 View Post
I'm basically looking for a road bike with the ability to cut through rough terrain and the occasional forest preserve dirt road. Not going to be hitting hard core trails and such.
Cyclocross bike then for sure. All kinds of brands, frame materials and price points are out there. Single speed, geared, disc brakes, cantis, carbon, steel, aluminium, Ti, fender eyelets, rack mounts, etc....lot's of options out there.
Old 06-12-2009, 05:22 PM   #12
Julian@MotoCARR
Automotive Afficianado

Sweet, thanks for the info. Yeah it sounds like I need something along those lines and not really a mountain bike.