How Really do you test a Rectifier/Stator - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Home Forums Race Schedule vBGarage Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Chicagoland Sportbikes > Open Topic Discussions > Performance and Tech
CLSB Store Article Section Local Radar Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Motorcycle EscrowInsurance

Performance and Tech Use of this forum is designed for performance discussion, as well as “help me fix it” questions.

Old 09-19-2009, 11:39 AM   #1
GreenDraggin'

Sportbike: 2007 GSXR 600
Years Riding: 4 years now (off/on)
How you found us: friend
GreenDraggin' Is of superior charactorGreenDraggin' Is of superior charactorGreenDraggin' Is of superior charactorGreenDraggin' Is of superior charactorGreenDraggin' Is of superior charactorGreenDraggin' Is of superior charactorGreenDraggin' Is of superior charactor
How Really do you test a Rectifier/Stator

Hello,

If any of you remember back when I had my 01 CBR F4i I had posted this:

http://www.chicagolandsportbikes.com...tteries+stator

Turns out my battery was old and bunk which saved me from really having to dig into my bike. Well now I have an 07 675 and with it, a real problem beyond my skills...so far. That's where I appeal to you CLSB pros:

I noticed when riding the bike on Tuesday that the electrical juice was getting lower and lower as I was riding it. Eventually it died out as the engine putt putted to a stop at a light. When riding it seemed to just drain the battery slowly. So...

I pushed it home, over night I charged my battery. 12.95v tested with multimeter at DCV setting 20
I put it in the bike, and turned on the ignition and I had 12.09v steady
I started the bike up, and I got 11.85v. I revved it to 5000rpm, and it stayed at 11.8v steady. It did not rise to around to 14v as planned.

I turned off the bike, and battery started rising back up to 12.45v. I think for the most part I can conclude it isn't the battery. It's in decent shape.

So this could mean 1 of 2 things based on what I do know:
1) My stator is bad
2) My R/R is bad.

I'm betting my money on the R/R, as this bike is in fairly new condition (about 6k miles on it now)

So after all that. Here are my questions which the internet has largely failed me on answering:

1) On the Triumph 675, one must remove the fuel tank to get to the wiring for the R/R. This means the bike cannot be started up and idled. Does the bike have to be "on" when testing the rectifier plugs? Does the engine have to be idling while testing the R/R? It may seem stupid, but I have no clue because it's a detail no one ever clarifies in their guides as they forget it.

2) What the hell does the multimeter have to be set at to actually test the R/R? There are so many settings. I'm looking for detail as in "it has to be set to ACV xyz number setting", or something like that.

3) I opened it up and I have a 4 pin plug from the R/R and a 3 pin plug from the R/R. What the shit is what here? Is one input one output? The Triumph manual has nothing to clarify the plugs themselves except archane and impossible to understand wiring diagrams

4) When I finally figure out the multimeter settings, should the bike be on or off, etc. What are the tests for the stator? What do those plugs look like? Is there color coding to them? Have I already encountered them and I just don't know it yet? The manual is unclear on this so far as I can tell.

If you can help me, (and hopefully it helps others in the future) that'd be great, because as I understand it, the R/R on this year of this bike poops out all the time, but I want to make sure I know if that's the case or not.

Thanks in advance.
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2009, 12:16 PM   #2
Troy
The Violator

Sportbike: A little bit of everything.
Years Riding: Not nearly enough!
How you found us: On a ride in Colorado
Troy Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Troy Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Troy Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Troy Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Troy Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Troy Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Troy Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Troy Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Troy Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Troy Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Troy Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!
I just went through all this on my Honda. Your Trumpet may be somewhat different but here's how I diagnosed my issue.

Voltage at battery with bike off was 12.6 with an overnight charge. Voltage at battery with bike running at idle was 11.82. It would climb slightly to 11.9 at 5k rpm.

On my bike, the regulator/rectifier can fail open or closed. To determine my stator was really dead, the next move was to measure AC voltage at the 3 pin connector coming from the stator. On my bike, it's a 3 phase, 3 pin plug, so measuring AC output across any 2 connectors would tell me what's up. AC voltage on my bike should be around 20 volts at idle & closer to 60 volts at higher rpms. I had zero & my stator was dead.

If you know you have output at the stator, but low voltage at the battery, it's got to be the reg/rect or a bad connection.
Troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 12:47 PM   #3
tripod
Fast Old Fart on a Bike

Sportbike: 2001 Ducati S4 / '06 WRX STI Tow Vehicle
Years Riding: Since 1966
How you found us: SBN
tripod Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!tripod Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!tripod Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!tripod Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!tripod Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!tripod Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!tripod Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!tripod Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!tripod Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!tripod Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!tripod Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!
On the Ducati, the plug with the yellow wires are from the stator, I had 3 wires (3 phases) (the 4 wire s/b RR output - 2 red 2 green), and they should all have the same reading (while running) of between 40 - 50 V AC (note I said AC, not DC). If they do not have the same reading, probably a bad stator.

If the same, I would just replace the RR, I went thru the same thing this week, and I was convinced it was the RR, but was talked into testing the stator, should have gone with my gut, I always look for the easy fix first.

As soon as I plugged in the new RR and fired the bike, I was at 13.2 v (DC) at idle and 14.2 at 2,500. Bike fixed.

The multi meter has to be on AC with a range of up to 60 V (opr higher) for the stator

The mulit meter has to be set to DC 20V range for the Battery - RR.

Last edited by tripod; 09-19-2009 at 12:50 PM..
tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 01:52 PM   #4
GreenDraggin'

GreenDraggin' Is of superior charactorGreenDraggin' Is of superior charactorGreenDraggin' Is of superior charactorGreenDraggin' Is of superior charactorGreenDraggin' Is of superior charactorGreenDraggin' Is of superior charactorGreenDraggin' Is of superior charactor
So from what I gather the bike has to be running (engine idle) in order to test this? How do I manage to run the thing if the fuel take has to be taken off to get to it...
Old 09-19-2009, 02:08 PM   #5
tripod
Fast Old Fart on a Bike

tripod Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!tripod Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!tripod Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!tripod Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!tripod Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!tripod Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!tripod Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!tripod Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!tripod Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!tripod Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!tripod Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!
alternative test for stator - engine NOT running

http://cbrforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92758

"To check the stator, take your multimeter, set it to ohms. Measure across all 3 leads of the stator. measure 1and2, 2and3, 1and3. They should all measure the same. It should be somewhere around .6 or .7 ohms. It may be different on that bike, but they should all be the same. If you have one or two of them out from the other, then the stator is probably bad. If they all measure good, your stator is fine and look into replacing the rectifier."
Old 09-19-2009, 02:15 PM   #6
tripod
Fast Old Fart on a Bike

Actually - here is a very good write up

http://www.sportbikez.net/forum/f8/h...-system-11591/

Personally, I would just change out the RR and be donw with it.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:55 PM   #7
Morrand
Wild slide rule roots

Sportbike: 2002 Suzuki TL1000R, yel/blk (Street) & '04 GSXR750 (Track)
Years Riding: 8
How you found us: Got the link through NESBA
Morrand Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Morrand Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Morrand Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Morrand Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Morrand Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Morrand Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Morrand Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Morrand Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Morrand Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Morrand Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Morrand Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripod View Post
"To check the stator, take your multimeter, set it to ohms. Measure across all 3 leads of the stator. measure 1and2, 2and3, 1and3. They should all measure the same. It should be somewhere around .6 or .7 ohms. It may be different on that bike, but they should all be the same. If you have one or two of them out from the other, then the stator is probably bad. If they all measure good, your stator is fine and look into replacing the rectifier."
OK as far as it goes. From the sound of it, you probably have zero output from the charging system, and this test should catch anything dramatic in the stator that could cause that.

But, in general, it's no substitute for a running test.
NESBA #561 (I)
Jabber/Google Talk: morrand276@gmail.com
Morrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:20 PM   #8
chach
is here for the gangbang

Sportbike: it is a mystery
Years Riding: it is a mystery
How you found us: it is a mystery
chach Is a better man than Ichach Is a better man than Ichach Is a better man than Ichach Is a better man than Ichach Is a better man than Ichach Is a better man than Ichach Is a better man than Ichach Is a better man than Ichach Is a better man than Ichach Is a better man than Ichach Is a better man than I
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDraggin' View Post
So from what I gather the bike has to be running (engine idle) in order to test this? How do I manage to run the thing if the fuel take has to be taken off to get to it...
You can just move the fuel tank off to the side, prop it up on a high chair or something.
chach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:14 PM   #9
GreenDraggin'

It was the R/R btw. Replaced, fixed. Win! The damn thing was a pain in the ass to screw and unscrew, but managed it with the fingers.

Thanks for the guides and help
Old 10-01-2009, 01:17 PM   #10
nouseforaname
lust for bikes!

Sportbike: a prostitute
Years Riding: a prostitute
How you found us: a prostitute
nouseforaname Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!nouseforaname Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!nouseforaname Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!nouseforaname Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!nouseforaname Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!nouseforaname Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!nouseforaname Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!nouseforaname Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!nouseforaname Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!nouseforaname Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!nouseforaname Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!
this is a noob question....but does a regulator rectifier generate heat. im asking because i was considering a different mount area...

"Thats it, nobody gets out of here alive."

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRobbins View Post
I agree completely with Steve (nouseforaname)
nouseforaname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:20 PM   #11
jrock
You got the talkin' done

Sportbike: '00 VFR800Fi & 1979 Honda CB750F
Years Riding: long enough to have fallen off a few times - glad I wear a helmet!
How you found us: Loose Lips Sink Ships, Loose Wires Cause Fires
jrock Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!jrock Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!jrock Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!jrock Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!jrock Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!jrock Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!jrock Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!jrock Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!jrock Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!jrock Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!jrock Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!
FFS. See my sticky in this forum.

http://www.chicagolandsportbikes.com...ad.php?t=87865
Old 10-01-2009, 01:30 PM   #12
GreenDraggin'

The different mount area is a good idea. Not sure for your bike, but the R/R get's hit with a lot of heat from where it is placed on the Daytona currently. Over time that heat more or less fries it into crapland.

There is an awesome post (which I am going to do now that I know a bit more about this replacement history crap on the Daytona, when I have the time/materials/cash)
here which explains how to do a custom modification. Meant for triumph, but talks about other bike options as well:

http://www.triumphrat.net/speed-trip...r-upgrade.html
Old 10-01-2009, 03:11 PM   #13
chach
is here for the gangbang

Sportbike: it is a mystery
Years Riding: it is a mystery
How you found us: it is a mystery
chach Is a better man than Ichach Is a better man than Ichach Is a better man than Ichach Is a better man than Ichach Is a better man than Ichach Is a better man than Ichach Is a better man than Ichach Is a better man than Ichach Is a better man than Ichach Is a better man than Ichach Is a better man than I
Quote:
Originally Posted by greendraggin' View Post
it was the r/r btw.
shock of the century!
chach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 07:03 PM   #14
Morrand
Wild slide rule roots

Sportbike: 2002 Suzuki TL1000R, yel/blk (Street) & '04 GSXR750 (Track)
Years Riding: 8
How you found us: Got the link through NESBA
Morrand Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Morrand Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Morrand Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Morrand Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Morrand Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Morrand Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Morrand Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Morrand Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Morrand Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Morrand Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!Morrand Walks on F&?kin water, No shit!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nouseforaname View Post
this is a noob question....but does a regulator rectifier generate heat. im asking because i was considering a different mount area...
Yes.
NESBA #561 (I)
Jabber/Google Talk: morrand276@gmail.com
Morrand is offline   Reply With Quote