Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

Rick's Spaghetti Squash

855 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  RickC1957 
#1 ·
In my attempt to get more veggies in my system and since I'm doing the lo-carb thing and I missed my pasta. I have "developed" this recipe.

Ingredients

1 football sized spaghetti squash...will feed 4 as a main course, or 6 as a side
1 26 ounce jar of high quality spaghetti sauce...Ragu won't do!!
1 to 1 1/2 pounds of hot Italian sausage meat...you can buy bulk or sausages and remove the casing.
seasoning salt
Italian seasonings
Red Pepper Flakes
Shredded Cheeses...I like Crystal Farms 3 pepper shredded cheese blend, but you could use mozzarella.

Procedure

Half the squash, and remove the seeds. This is kind of tricky, the squash has a very tough shell. How I do it is cut one end off, using a 1 lb dead bowl hammer and a heavy duty chef's knife, then I stand it up on end and slice it in half lengthwise. Place the squash in a large pan, fill with water, about 1.5 to 2 inches. Cover with tin foil and bake in a pre-heated oven at 350 for 1 hour. If the squash is bigger than a football it will take longer. If you can easily pierce the shell with a fork, its done.

In the mean time, break up the italian sausage and cook throughly in a large frying pan and drain the fat.

Once the squash is cooked, use a large spoon and scoop out the meat into a large bowl, it will come out looking like spaghetti, hence the name. Toss with the spaghetti sauce, also toss with the red pepper flakes, italian seasonings and seasoning salt, do this according to your personal taste. In a 10" diameter casserole dish, start spoon in the mixer, about 1" deep, then spoon in the sausage meat, then sprinkle with cheese. Don't be shy with the cheese, alternate in layers until all the squash mixture and sausage meat is gone and top with cheese. Bake in an oven until the cheese is bubbling, about 20 minutes.

Enjoy!

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.