Trailer lighting wiring quesiton and ideas - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Trailers, Trucks and Toy Haulers A place for your trailer and towing discussions. Pictures are encouraged.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Trailer lighting wiring quesiton and ideas

I have a 7x12 cargo mate trailer. it has lights inside that run off the vehicles 12v parking light circuit. I don't like this as I never get to use the lights this way. there is a yellow wire in the battery box on the tongue that is not connected and runs to the center plug of the 7 pin connector, although my center pin on my truck does not have power to it.

so heres my idea, I want to get a small gel cell battery and hook it to this yellow wire and get 12 volts of the truck to charge this battery, then run the lighting and possibly a car stereo off this circuit, this way I will have lights and sound even when I'm not connected, and it will charge on the way to the track or off a battery tender while in storage. (or connected to Alex's Generator ).

has anyone ever done this setup before. It seems like it shouldn't be that difficult to wire up. I'm thinking 12v switched source from truck to positive of battery, battery neg to frame ground, then a small fuse block, to run lighting and stereo circuit off of. anything I'm missing here?

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 12:07 PM

Sportbike: 05 DRZ-SM, 80 GS1100E, 99 KTM 125SX, 03 KTM 200MXC
Years Riding: Since 2001
How you found us: ?

Send a message via AIM to Ryan Send a message via Yahoo to Ryan
That will work. Your Tundra should have B+ at the trailer plug and you can just run it off that. My popup camper has the same setup with a battery to run the lights when not plugged in and it charges off B+ at the trailer plug. Most trailers with electric brakes also have a small battery to turn the brakes on in case the trailer falls off the truck and they're setup the same way.

If you need a hand with this let me know. I am the trailer wiring .
-Ryan
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 12:09 PM
Semper Fidellis

Sportbike: NADA
Years Riding: Since 1984
How you found us: Google

Send a message via Yahoo to Devil Dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTony View Post
I have a 7x12 cargo mate trailer. it has lights inside that run off the vehicles 12v parking light circuit. I don't like this as I never get to use the lights this way. there is a yellow wire in the battery box on the tongue that is not connected and runs to the center plug of the 7 pin connector, although my center pin on my truck does not have power to it.

so heres my idea, I want to get a small gel cell battery and hook it to this yellow wire and get 12 volts of the truck to charge this battery, then run the lighting and possibly a car stereo off this circuit, this way I will have lights and sound even when I'm not connected, and it will charge on the way to the track or off a battery tender while in storage. (or connected to Alex's Generator ).

has anyone ever done this setup before. It seems like it shouldn't be that difficult to wire up. I'm thinking 12v switched source from truck to positive of battery, battery neg to frame ground, then a small fuse block, to run lighting and stereo circuit off of. anything I'm missing here?
I do these all the time. That is exactly how it is done. Wink's is set up this way.

Craig

My VB Garage

"God loves Marines, because we kill everything we see." - R. Lee Ermey, Full Metal Jacket
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Fizzer600 View Post
That will work. Your Tundra should have B+ at the trailer plug and you can just run it off that. My popup camper has the same setup with a battery to run the lights when not plugged in and it charges off B+ at the trailer plug. Most trailers with electric brakes also have a small battery to turn the brakes on in case the trailer falls off the truck and they're setup the same way.

If you need a hand with this let me know. I am the trailer wiring .
-Ryan

Yes my trailer does have a battery for the braking system. Just playing around the other night I disconnected that circuit and powered up the lights with that battery, I almost thought about tieing the lights into this circuit permanently but decided to err on the side of caution and not do it that way. Do you think using the B+ wire off the truck is a good idea, as this would not be switched and would possibly drain the trucks battery during the weekend if connected, also I'm thinking the battery charging may want a separate circuit so it doesn't exceed the designed amp draw of the existing B+ of the trailer connector. am I wrong in this line of thinking?

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dog View Post
I do these all the time. That is exactly how it is done. Wink's is set up this way.
Awesome! Any tips as far as wire size or connections from the work you've done?

So just connect the switched source from truck to the + terminal of new battery, neg of battery to trailer frame, and fuse block to + term of battery. then run accessories to fuse block and ground them to frame?

- Ronald Reagan

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 12:19 PM

Sportbike: 05 DRZ-SM, 80 GS1100E, 99 KTM 125SX, 03 KTM 200MXC
Years Riding: Since 2001
How you found us: ?

Send a message via AIM to Ryan Send a message via Yahoo to Ryan
Quote:
Yes my trailer does have a battery for the braking system. Just playing around the other night I disconnected that circuit and powered up the lights with that battery, I almost thought about tieing the lights into this circuit permanently but decided to err on the side of caution and not do it that way. Do you think using the B+ wire off the truck is a good idea, as this would not be switched and would possibly drain the trucks battery during the weekend if connected, also I'm thinking the battery charging may want a separate circuit so it doesn't exceed the designed amp draw of the existing B+ of the trailer connector. am I wrong in this line of thinking?
It won't drain the battery unless you leave something on. I guess I could see forgetting to turn the lights off or something, just don't forget and you'll be ok . If you're just running a few interior lights, the B+ wire that's already there to charge your trailer brake battery will be fine. I don't have my Tundra here or I'd go look at how many amps the fuse for the trailer plug B+ wire is. That would be a good indication of how much that circuit is designed to handle.

-Ryan
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Fizzer600 View Post
It won't drain the battery unless you leave something on. I guess I could see forgetting to turn the lights off or something, just don't forget and you'll be ok . If you're just running a few interior lights, the B+ wire that's already there to charge your trailer brake battery will be fine. I don't have my Tundra here or I'd go look at how many amps the fuse for the trailer plug B+ wire is. That would be a good indication of how much that circuit is designed to handle.

-Ryan
I'm still trying to ascertain what the truck is offering, but it looks like the truck has 3 30a fuses under the hood related tot he trailer wiring. just trying to determine which ones do what.

- Ronald Reagan

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 12:45 PM
The Violator

Sportbike: A little bit of everything.
Years Riding: Not nearly enough!
How you found us: On a ride in Colorado

I might be waay off on this one but if you drain the trailer to dead or close to dead failry often, would a deep cycle cell be better?
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSIVSPD View Post
I might be waay off on this one but if you drain the trailer to dead or close to dead failry often, would a deep cycle cell be better?
Good question, I don't have a lot of experience with batteries. anyone know what would be best for this application? I want something that can run two small lights, a car stereo with 4 speakers, and possible charge a cell phone, and a pump for blowing up an air mattress. over a course of 3 days

- Ronald Reagan

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 01:28 PM
Cuddlie as a koala

Sportbike: Which bike?
Years Riding: Too long.
How you found us: Ken offered me money to join.

Mine had a RV 120v plug in mounted in a waterproof box under the trailer and was set up for a 120v to 12v converter that also charged the boat deep cycle battery when the trailer was plugged into 120. Didnt draw off the truck at all. I also had 3 120v waterproof outlets in the trailer.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 01:31 PM
Semper Fidellis

Quote:
Awesome! Any tips as far as wire size or connections from the work you've done?

So just connect the switched source from truck to the + terminal of new battery, neg of battery to trailer frame, and fuse block to + term of battery. then run accessories to fuse block and ground them to frame?
I would use 12 or 14 gauge (or Larger) if it will fit in the plug on both ends to cut down on resistance. I use the factory wiring to connect to the plug on the vehicle, unless there isn't a 12v source for charging. In this case you can either run a fused connection between the vehice's battery and the plug, or off of a switched source.
The first is the best option if you want to use the the vehicle's battery in conjunction with the one on the trailer, if you don't want to leave your key on in the ignition. The downside to this is if you left things running too long you will drain both batteries. The upside is that the batteries will last longer.
I use solderless connections that have heat shrink material built in, but you can do this yourself if you are unable to find them. I would ground the battery directly to the frame of the trailer, using a good solid connector and removing all paint in that area before securing it down with a stainless steel bolt, washers, lockwasher & nut (locktite the threads as well). Bad grounds in this kind of set up will cause you headaches down the road. Seal the area with a clear silicone or clear spray paint to keep moisture out.This also allows you to see if there is any rust or oxidation forming around the ground.
You can always add a capacitor to help with the load swings, but I would mount this inside, if you go this route make sure you connect this properly or you will have a very bad day. Make sure you get rubber gromets to place in the holes you drill through the body of the trailer and seal with silicone. Get some wire loom to hide the wiring and electrical tape it so that water doesn't creep in the crack or the ends.
Get yourself 2 Distribution Blocks and mount those inside to give you a source for both power and ground and ease of wiring in your accessories: http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/S...id/0/SFV/30046

If you need a hand or have any questions, PM or call me 312-919-3336

Craig

My VB Garage

"God loves Marines, because we kill everything we see." - R. Lee Ermey, Full Metal Jacket
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Awesome! Thanks!

- Ronald Reagan

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-03-2007, 12:32 AM
Semper Fidellis

Oh and as far as batteries go, these have been my only choice for the last 6 years http://www.optimabatteries.com/publi...ommercial.html

Craig

My VB Garage

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-03-2007, 01:12 AM
Retired but still working

Sportbike: 1994 H/D Softail Custom
Years Riding: Long Enough
How you found us: search

Send a message via Yahoo to Dean
Quote:
Awesome! Thanks!
Tony,

If you do this, let me know - I would like to see the hook up. I was actually thinking about running 120v through mine and just letting a generator run the trailer options when parked through an exterior outlet; so I would be doing the opposite of what you are doing. This may change my mind. If you need a hand as well, I can swing by.

Dean

What do the internet and Channel 11 have in common? They are both a window to the world; put it out there and do not be surprised who will see it.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-03-2007, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dog View Post
Oh and as far as batteries go, these have been my only choice for the last 6 years http://www.optimabatteries.com/publi...ommercial.html
Thats what I'm buying then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Tony,

If you do this, let me know - I would like to see the hook up. I was actually thinking about running 120v through mine and just letting a generator run the trailer options when parked through an exterior outlet; so I would be doing the opposite of what you are doing. This may change my mind. If you need a hand as well, I can swing by.
Running a 110 setup in mine is not out of the question either, I've also thought about doing that. Some tracks have power right there so I would hook up if I could. but the 12 volt would be nice all the time.

- Ronald Reagan

post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 11:12 AM
Retired but still working

Sportbike: 1994 H/D Softail Custom
Years Riding: Long Enough
How you found us: search

Send a message via Yahoo to Dean
Quote:
Running a 110 setup in mine is not out of the question either
Oh DUH 110 - 120 whatever it takes.

Dean

What do the internet and Channel 11 have in common? They are both a window to the world; put it out there and do not be surprised who will see it.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2007, 09:02 AM
Wild slide rule roots

Sportbike: 2002 Suzuki TL1000R, yel/blk (Street) & '04 GSXR750 (Track)
Years Riding: 8
How you found us: Got the link through NESBA

If you really feel clever, put an inverter in after the battery. 120V available full-time, and it recharges on the road.

Morrand
NESBA #561 (I)
Jabber/Google Talk: [email protected]
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2007, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrand View Post
If you really feel clever, put an inverter in after the battery. 120V available full-time, and it recharges on the road.
that is something i was thinking about, but don't they draw a boatload of current which will drain the system fast?

- Ronald Reagan

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-07-2007, 11:15 AM
Semper Fidellis

Quote:
that is something i was thinking about, but don't they draw a boatload of current which will drain the system fast?
Nope. I run my inverter in my service truck all day with the engine off and it is never enough to drain the batteries. I do have 3 batteries on the truck, but with 2 batteries you should be ok as long as you aren't drawing a huge load.

Craig

My VB Garage

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 09:42 PM
Wild slide rule roots

Sportbike: 2002 Suzuki TL1000R, yel/blk (Street) & '04 GSXR750 (Track)
Years Riding: 8
How you found us: Got the link through NESBA

Quote:
They'll draw at least 10x the load current and probably a little more, but that's going to go with the territory. It's just one of the things you have to plan for when sizing the battery.

It all just depends on what you want to run off the thing. If it's just a couple of lights, that's one thing. If you want to run a couple of air conditioners, it's another.

Morrand
NESBA #561 (I)
Jabber/Google Talk: [email protected]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode