LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
BH

Sportbike: KTM
Years Riding: Long enough to get arm pump
How you found us: find who?

Send a message via Yahoo to BH
USA Pro Supermoto

think they'll actually hold a race this year?

seems like they way they're trying to structure it, they're destined to repeat AMA/XTRM failures. the 'go big or go home' series doesn't work with a sport with no fan base.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 12:36 PM
Bug
Ridiculously Good Looking

Sportbike: Sportbike?
Years Riding: No F'in Idea
How you found us: 4 & 6

Yeah, Dennis Anderson is determined but with the 6 or 7 races spread across the whole country, it will be difficult unless you are just loaded with time on your hands to travel and race and not hold down a job

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW, what a RIDE !!"
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 12:43 PM

Sportbike: SUPERMOTO & DIRTY 450rr CR525af
Years Riding: few
How you found us: SOME JCAT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 01:09 PM
Pringles can user

Sportbike: 2005 YZ250
Years Riding: 1977
How you found us: Geo

i see major fail, whos going to invest in a team with no support from outside sponsors with no real money or pros, no team owner is going to invest in it with no ROI. At the end of the ama series and probably the last 3 years of it troy lee was losing money on his team. No one gives a shit about sumo. the ama arena cross series doesnt even bring in real money. Dennis seems like a great guy but he's in fantasyland.

DO YOU WANT TO BE A BETTER DIRT OR MX RIDER OR LEARN TO RIDE DIRT?

CLICK THE LINK!

http://www.club57mx.com/

Wiping my last dump was like cleaning Laffy Taffy off a hot car dashboard.
Doug Stanhope

Thanks to my Sponsors - Gaerne, Protaper, ScottUSA, MSR, Motomaster Brake systems, Faction MX, Sunline, Dr D, EVS, DECAL WORKS.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
BH

who is Dennis Anderson?
other than the website, what are his ties to SM? is he rich?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 05:33 PM
Bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH View Post
who is Dennis Anderson?
other than the website, what are his ties to SM? is he rich?
Cat who runs Supermoto Online and basically put the series together - Use to Road race back in the day from what he said and probably the nicest person you will ever meet

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW, what a RIDE !!"
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 08:28 PM

Sportbike: SUPERMOTO & DIRTY 450rr CR525af
Years Riding: few
How you found us: SOME JCAT

he was at the last RA round! nice guy!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 03:23 PM

Sportbike: KTM / Suzuki
Years Riding: Long enough
How you found us: Geomoto

I'm trying to think positively about this thing, but I have a hard time seeing it work. As mentioned above and on SMJ, he doesn't seem to be learning from the mistakes of the past.

USAIR is a great track, but it is a terrible place to hold a national on a series that you are trying to re-build interest. Even at the peak of the AMA stuff up there, they could barely pull 500 spectators. As quirky as Scotty and the old Cult folks up there were, they were really organized and still didn't get anybody to show up. Right now, I don't think there is actually any organization other than Ryan Konitzer going over there in his off time playing with a bulldozer building a dirt section.

The stuff that made the series "work" in '04-'07 when they were getting full grids was the novelty of it and the fact that there was some money around. You got a lot of old Pro MXers (Ward, Dymond, Henry, Nicoll, etc) who just thought it was really cool and could get some old friends in the industry to hook them up with a good ride. You had a few up and coming guys from MX/DT/RR (Benny Carlson, John Lewis, Cassidy Anderson, etc.) that were good enough to bring in some good sponsors. You had a few top flight RR guys looking for some cross training (Bostrom Bros, Yates, Hayes, Eslick, etc) You had quite a few good Euorpean SM guys that brought money or could get a sponsor. However, probably 50% ish of the grids were people like me that were former decent expert level MXers or DT guys that just wanted to "Live the dream" of being a Pro and could afford it for a while and could get a pro license because they didn't really have any restrictions on it. I think most of that money and novelty has worn off for most of those groups and you will have a hard time finding 15-20 riders that will follow the full tour around the country.

---------------------------
Colin.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
BH

from SMJ:

Here is USAProSM's reasoning- "All the amateur entry fee's, and the extra gate fee's from the AM racers friends/family are just too minimal for the current proposed budget, and basically an amateur day would barely bring in enough revenue to cover the cost of the freestyle demo team."

Further more- "It's a Pro Show only, and we want to put on the best and most exciting racing product/show for the fans. So that means pro caliber racers and a pro caliber racing product ONLY for the spectators."

This is word-for-word what USAProSM is saying, and what they are promoting is a big budget, high spectator turnout, pro racing series. That's why all the tracks are relatively close to decent sized urban areas to attract as many spectators as possible. I guess the last Denver AMA Supermoto race in 2008 had over 15,000 spectators through the gate, over the 3 days, and that's what the goal is again here with USAProSM.

how many of the AMA roadrace venues get 15k spectators for a full weekend now?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 10:24 AM
Pringles can user

15,000 spectators! Never to return to watch sumo as its boring as shit for non sumo lovers unless its X games televised!

The shit will never fly here!

CLICK THE LINK!

Doug Stanhope

Thanks to my Sponsors - Gaerne, Protaper, ScottUSA, MSR, Motomaster Brake systems, Faction MX, Sunline, Dr D, EVS, DECAL WORKS.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 10:47 PM

Sportbike: KTM / Suzuki
Years Riding: Long enough
How you found us: Geomoto

Looks like the series is done. Anybody surprised?

http://supermotoonline.com/2012%20Se...el%205.21.html

http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showt...an-it-be/page5

I hate to talk poorly of someone going thru what he is going thru, but to take it right up until 2 weeks from the start of the season then cancel when people have so much invested in bikes and travel is pretty harsh.

Locally, I really feel bad for Tyler and Zac as they really could have shown the SM world something up there at USAIR.

---------------------------
Colin.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 11:37 PM
Bug

I hear ya C and D was still going to try and make it happen - His 1st round of treatment wiped him out and the 2nd will hit him even harder - He was going to try and "Play In Pain" but treatment takes a lot out of you and once you start getting into the 2nd and 3rd rounds, you are bed ridden for quite sometime

I understand the Finc loss for many and I only hope people can understand - Anyone who knows Dennis knows his heart is in the right place and even with all that he is going through, he still wanted to give it everything he could for the sport he loves

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 01:51 AM
Pringles can user

tough break, cancer sucks my good friend" like a dad to me" is dying of pancreatic liver cancer, he got maybe 2 weeks left we are getting togther this weekend to probably say our good buys. its a mofo.

CLICK THE LINK!

Doug Stanhope

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
BH

what a mess. not good for the sport at all. how long has he known that he was sick? why wasn't there a backup plan? at two weeks out from the first race, you're a few months past the point of no return. I'm sure his heart was in the right place, and it sure sucks that he's sick, but what was he thinking?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode