LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
G2G

Sportbike: It changes everyday
Years Riding: since 1991
How you found us: Ur mom

Post Northwoods GP round 2 races

http://youtu.be/hEB0iVFwhwQ

Well headed up to Shawano WI on Saturday morning. Met Bug at Romans house and loaded everything up. Forecast for the weekend was 75 and sunny both days at the track in NW WI. It was a little suprising since it was 60 and rainy here in Chicago on Saturday and who knows what on Sunday.

Showed up for practice about 1pm and got a good 4 hours of riding in to shake of the cobwebs off since I have not been on this bike since I raced CCS the end of last year. I was breaking in a newly rebuilt engine with a new cylinder kit with piston, rings, cam chain, counter shaft bearings, valves, new jetting ect. First impression from the rebuilt was WOW!!! First kick starts right off the bat. I was very happy when I can take the tire warmers off and kick it once and it starts. Tom Zont thank you very much When I picked the bike up on Thursday he explained to me exactly what to expect from the engine and he was spot on. He told me to shoot him a text once the races where done so I can give him an update on how the fresh engine worked out.

Practice went good felt smooth and the power was much more noticable. Track was grippy as there was rubber on the ground already and it was about 74 and sunny so the track headed up quite nicely. Changed up the gearing from my road race gearing to sumo racing gearing and it was a whole new bike. The bike is a beast now. Got a good 50 laps of practice in and called it the day. Went out to dinner with a bunch of friends and pigged out on a low fat dinner. We all split some wings, cheese curds, pitcher of beer to sart off. The a couple of bloody marys to wash down the big ass burgers we ate.

New local owners took over this sports bar and they were very friendly just like all small town people are. Then headed to bed after that as we were wiped out.

Woke up Sunday ate breakfast and headed to the track. Signed up the Heavy Sumo class and got the bike ready for the first practice. Noticed there were twice as many people at the races than there were at the practice day on Saturday. I was hoping for a podium since alot of the fast guys did not show up on Saturday and also hearing through the grapevine that they would be showing up. Wrong I was. All the fast guys showed up and I was a little bummed LOL since I was hoping for my first podium the easy way. hahahha.

First practice session they announce the lap times for the fastest 3 guys. Well I was suprise I heard my name called as the third fastest at a 1:12. 2 seconds behind 2nd place and 3 seconds behind 1st place. That got me in a very good mood and made me put my head down for qualifying. During qualifying I chased one of the fast local guys and got my times down to 1:11 to qualify me in 4th place on the inside of the second row so I was stoked!

Race one got my bike started on the first kick (if you knew how much of a pain in the ass it was before you would understand this was a big deal for me ) go the video camera on and headed out for the warm up lap. Now this is what I love about sumo racing goin out on the warm up lap I click off a 3 gear wheelie down on of the straights to get me relaxed and to showboat as I usually do LOL. Well Bug informed me that right after I did it 3 others lofted them up right behind me. Man I need a 2nd camera facing behind me. Well I grid up and get the worst hole shot of the bunch. I went from 4th to about 8th place. Totally pissed off and I think the first 2 laps I am missing my lines and missing shifts as I am pissed I am so far back. Well as I am gaining ground on the guy in front of me he crashes right in front of me and I almost ran him over LOL I had to run off track onto the pit lane to avoid him. 1 guy down now for the next one.

Took me about 4 laps to catch up to my main competition. Mike Harlow and Phil Popour. Mike is a guy I have worked with the last couple of races and also his dad Mike Sr. Both great guys and have helped me out alot and have alot of experience racing Sumos for years. Also Phil has done the same. Phil is on a built to the hill Graves race bike so I was happy to see his bike power was on par with my bike after the rebuild. You will see in the video I will post up. Well after a couple of laps I was able to get by Mike then the next lap I was able to get by Phil. You can see in the video I was able to pinch off Phil so he couldnt repass me again. I did the same thing in race 2.

Well after all was said and done I finished in 3rd place. I was stoked since I was up against some of the locals and fast guys that wooped the shit out of me last year. This is only my 3rd sumo race ever and I am hooked. I cannot wait until the next race.

The second race I get a better start since I used the little do dad on my front forks that the dirt bikers use on starts for there bike. It holds ur compressed forks down at the start to its harded to wheelie. It help a little and I got a better start. Another hard fought battle and I ended up in 4th place on that race. I am very happy with my results as its the best sumop weekend I have had so far. I will have to check and see what my laptimes where for the races as I think I was cutting some 1:10's but I am not sure.

My goal for the weekend was to break the engine in and drop my laptimes and have a smile on my face on the ride home. Well I did all three and even more!!!! I went from doing 1:14 last year to putting my head down and really pushing it and knocking off about 4 seconds off my old pace. If I get below 1:10's I think I really have a chance to finish better. Sorry i don't have a lot of time for the write up since I don't have much time but I will try to post some vids and pictures in a bit. Oh btw at teh end of race one my exahust end cap on my Carbon graves exahust can blow out. LOL Gotta get that fixed as it was loud as heel for race 2. Think I scared a couple of people with it

My Youtube video is still loading so I will post it as soon as it gets done.

BTW the videos turned out AWESOME. Finally I got some good video!

Last edited by 2weelpilot; 05-14-2012 at 03:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 10:32 AM

Sportbike: A weed wacker
Years Riding: Just started today as a matter of fact..
How you found us: A dream I had once

Send a message via MSN to JRSMAIL
Great work Steve-O!!!!!!

Jon
MSF Instructor

<---- Useless

Always Stand For What You Believe In... Even If Means You Stand Alone...
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
G2G

Mike Harlow Sr. and jr.

Hangin out with the chicks lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 10:39 AM
Its me

Sportbike: DRZ,VFR & Misc. Dirtbikes
Years Riding: 35 years
How you found us: Member/Jrock

Nice job !! (burger picture is making me hungry)
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 10:46 AM
Bug
Ridiculously Good Looking

Sportbike: Sportbike?
Years Riding: No F'in Idea
How you found us: 4 & 6

Great Weekend Bro - Sore as Fuck right now

I am the slowest in the group by far - After (2) season in the "Touring Group" I was forced to move up to Sumo Heavy to race with guys on Fact Built HMC, Fact Built Graves Yami and fact Built gary Trachey Yami and Steve on his punched out race Bike as well - I hve accepted that i run solo in the back and just rip around so my goal is faster lap times - last season I was running 1:20s - last round I got down to the 1:17s - This round I qual'ed at 1:16.4 and I am hoping that i broke the 1:15s at Race pace - The fastest guy is doing 1:08 so if I got to the 1;15s, I am more than happy and that means 5 seconds off my lap times from last season - Regardless, I have a blast out there on my little stock 450 with an 8 year old motor

Oh and Steve, its NorthWOODS GP

And the View I have grown accustom to......

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW, what a RIDE !!"
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 10:49 AM

Sportbike: 2003 R6
Years Riding: 1 year
How you found us: Google

Damn Steve.. congrats on those finishes! That's awesome.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 10:54 AM
Bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2G View Post
Eddie where did you get the pics from?
NWGP Forum - Dimtre took them with Ryan's Cam and Ryan posted a link to his PB Acct

Also, Steve, never Nap in the pits.........

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW, what a RIDE !!"
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
Wow, that's a huge load to draw out a dick on Steve's chest. Got some real Peter north type characters out there!

Chris
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 11:10 AM

Sportbike: SUPERMOTO & DIRTY 450rr CR525af
Years Riding: few
How you found us: SOME JCAT

braaap! wish i was there with you fockers
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 11:46 AM
BH

Sportbike: KTM
Years Riding: Long enough to get arm pump
How you found us: find who?

Send a message via Yahoo to BH
who won the race between Eddie and the skid loader?

nice job Steve on the podium Steve!
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 11:49 AM
Bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH View Post
who won the race between Eddie and the skid loader?
Skid loader got the jump on me and I never caught him - That AWD is a BITCH

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 11:53 AM
BH

did you guys run a +dirt race separate from the pavement only races?
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
G2G

here is the video. Sorry about the bug that was on the lens. LOL I didn't realize it until after the race

http://youtu.be/hEB0iVFwhwQ
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 11:54 AM
Midnight Rider

Sportbike: R6 and a Z1000
Years Riding: for a bit
How you found us: random PM on sportbikes.net

Nice job Steve! I got tired watching you kick start that thing last year, glad you got that sorted out.

Fat Pat #728

If you don't like my fire, then don't come around...
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 11:55 AM
BH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug View Post
good form Ed, keep knocking those times down and you'll be fighting for positions!
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 12:02 PM

Sportbike: A weed wacker
Years Riding: Just started today as a matter of fact..
How you found us: A dream I had once

Send a message via MSN to JRSMAIL
Nice work Steve-O!!!!!!!

Jon
MSF Instructor

<---- Useless

Always Stand For What You Believe In... Even If Means You Stand Alone...
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
G2G

Thanks guys!!! Wish I could make all the races and try for a great finish for the whole season. Just gonna try to put my head down and do the best I can.
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 12:49 PM

Sportbike: Superhawk, CRF450, CRF250x, Ducati 999, hypermotard
Years Riding: long time
How you found us: f

Steve--- Great weekend for sure!!! I'm going to try and post my videos tonight. After watching your video I see what you were talking about almost taking my ass out. That was close. Had a blast racing this weekend even though now I'm deaf from your pipe. HAHA
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
G2G

LOL Whats up Mike I knew you would find this thread. LOL I will pm you my contact info. I will be away from the interenet the next week starting tonight.
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 01:27 PM
Bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH View Post
good form Ed, keep knocking those times down and you'll be fighting for positions!
Thx Man - I am getting there - Fuckered with the front end a bit this round and got it set REAL nice now - Phil took it for a spin and mentioned that the front seems a tad soft so i lt him adjust it and it feel a lot better - Took me few laps to get use to it but once I figured it out, I felt a lot more comfortable

I was having a HELL of a time on Sat during practice on that back straight going up the hill from my 4-5 and 5-6 shifts - Was missing left and right and getting real frustrated - Come Sunday practice, I tired just nice and easy ganny shifts and the high gears came no problem - Was weird, at the slight left lean up that hill out of the flat left hander roll in 3rd I woyld get on the gas hard, hit 4th no prob then bap bap bap, no 5th or even sometimes 5th then top of the hill bap bap bap, no 6th - Once I got out of my own head and settled down, I was fine and come race time, all was good - I was ready to light the bike on fire after Sat practice and was having flashbacks of the DRZ issue with the clutch spring thing that Tnat old me about

post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 01:35 PM

Sportbike: KTM / Suzuki
Years Riding: Long enough
How you found us: Geomoto

Nice work guys, and nice ride report Steve! You guys keep putting up pictures and reports like this, you might even motivate me to get off my ass, get out there and play with you a little

Steve, if you are already up there playing with Phil and Mike, I may have underestimated your skill set a little, that is some good company! Hopefully, I will be able to come out and play at least by the Sept RA event if not a little sooner.

---------------------------
Colin.
post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
G2G

Oh and BTW this is all with knee out foot on the pegs road race style. F the haters. LOL
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 02:16 PM
Bug

Quote:
Oh and BTW this is all with knee out foot on the pegs road race style. F the haters. LOL
Shush

post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 02:54 PM
Pringles can user

Sportbike: 2005 YZ250
Years Riding: 1977
How you found us: Geo

Good deal guys - Steve hows your ears today? bite marks?

DO YOU WANT TO BE A BETTER DIRT OR MX RIDER OR LEARN TO RIDE DIRT?

CLICK THE LINK!

http://www.club57mx.com/

Wiping my last dump was like cleaning Laffy Taffy off a hot car dashboard.
Doug Stanhope

Thanks to my Sponsors - Gaerne, Protaper, ScottUSA, MSR, Motomaster Brake systems, Faction MX, Sunline, Dr D, EVS, DECAL WORKS.
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 03:09 PM
BH

Quote:
man, you'd probably be winning races if you rode the bike the right way.
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 04:55 PM

Sportbike: 07 600RR, 08 DRZ400SM, '99 KLR650, 08TW200, '86 Bobber
Years Riding: 4 years
How you found us: the interwebs

After reading this, it makes me want to try a sumo track day....when is the next one?

Pain Breeds Loyalty
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 07:32 PM
Bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by finishline9 View Post
After reading this, it makes me want to try a sumo track day....when is the next one?
Track Day or race Weekend?

Track day:
http://www.roadamerica.com/Competito...ckSchedule.asp

Race Schedule
April 21-22 USAIR

May 12-13 USAIR

June 9 Road America

June 23 Sugar River Raceway Night Race

July 14-15 USAIR Backwards

August 4-5 Sugar River Raceway

September 8 Road America

October 6-7 USAIR

post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 07:59 PM
Resident Slow guy

Sportbike: 250x_Dirtbike Triumph_Tripled_955i 90_H-D_Bagger CR80_Mini_Motard
Years Riding: Street_LOOOOOOONG_Time Track Backmarker
How you found us: Google

Send a message via AIM to Ohfugit
Great work Guys!!!

post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 09:32 PM

Sportbike: SV 650, FZR 400, RM 125
Years Riding: Since 1990
How you found us: Nesba!

I have to get out there and do this.

Greg K.
STT Staff Member
CCS Expert #12
MSF Instructor

VinylSaurusRex.com - Cyclepath Racing - Safety First Racing - SMR Components - Apexjunkie.com - Yamaha Champions Riding School
"If you're headed toward trees, I'm guessing your on the wrong line." - S. Russell
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 09:33 PM
Bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkotlin View Post
I have to get out there and do this.
Everyone says that and no one ever does - Surprise us

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode