Chicagoland Sportbikes

Super Moto Forum Let the Mayhem begin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: KTM / Suzuki
Years Riding: Long enough
How you found us: Geomoto

New AMA noise standard for '09

It may not be soon enough to save Norway for us (at least not immediately), but this should drive more technology in to the aftermarket industry and hopefully start to sway the mentality that "louder is better."

As posted on Racerxill.com:

AMA Racing announces 94dBA sound limit for 2009 SX and MX
- press release -

PICKERINGTON, Ohio -- The American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) announced today that the 2009 Monster Energy AMA Supercross, an FIM World Championship, and the 2009 AMA Motocross Championship will adopt the FIM 94dBA sound standard.

"This decision was reached following meetings with user groups, manufacturers, distributors, the aftermarket, the FIM, Live Nation, the Daytona Motorsports Group and MX Sports," said AMA President and CEO Rob Dingman. "In particular, we received very good feedback from a sound symposium conducted in December 2007 with stakeholders."

Dingman added that the new rules will not affect the 2009 AMA amateur classes.

"The adoption of the 94dBA standard for 2009 AMA Supercross and Motocross competition is a big step forward for the sport and comes at a time when families with young children attending AMA Pro Racing events are expressing concern about loud motorcycles," Dingman explained.

"Few issues contribute more to misunderstanding and prejudice against the motorcycling community than excessively loud motorcycles," he said. "The AMA will be strongly advocating reduced sound in all forms of motorcycle competition and recreational riding and we will be working with the motorcycling community to achieve this goal. This action sets a positive example for motorcyclists of all ages and tells the world that we takes this problem seriously and that we are doing something about it.

"The most logical and cost-effective approach is to adopt the FIM 94dBA sound standard for 2009 because the manufacturers have already developed the engineering to meet the FIM 94dBA motocross sound-level standard and measurement method for 2008," Dingman continued. "The engineering and testing undertaken by the manufacturers will provide teams in both series with a significant head start as they prepare for next season."

The FIM (Fédération Internationale de Motocyclisme), in consultation with the Motorcycle Sport Manufacturers' Association, first announced their goal to achieve a 94dBA sound level for motocross in February of 2006 and the standard was formally adopted in the 2007 FIM rulebook and implemented in 2008

---------------------------
Colin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 05:37 PM
6Teen Cycles

Sportbike: '61 Pan Shovel
Years Riding: Since before 600s were fast!
How you found us: I forgot

Send a message via AIM to geomoto Send a message via Yahoo to geomoto
I really hope this helps our cause out. The aftermarket really needs to step up to the plate. There is no reason we should have to pay 1K plus for a quiet dirtbike exhaust.

“The shapes and beauty of the motor are very important to me. Older bikes have beauty. Modern bikes…I don’t have any favorite shapes.”
-Shinya Kimura

'73 BMW Blog
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 09:04 PM
Slow Poke

Sportbike: BMW Dakar
Years Riding: since '00
How you found us: member

Does Leo Vince sell the alternate quieter end caps? the SM610 I bought only came with one, and it's borderline too loud for the local policia (IMO).

So, what happened with Norway?

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are the legislators."

www.allenskillicorn.com

Follow my views on Life (snarkiness), Liberty (politics), and Pursuit of Happiness (motorsports) on twitter. http://twitter.com/allenskillicorn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 09:16 PM
BH

Sportbike: KTM
Years Riding: Long enough to get arm pump
How you found us: find who?

Send a message via Yahoo to BH
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudes13 View Post

So, what happened with Norway?
in a nutshell: too many loud bikes, complaints from the neighbors, formal complaint from the county, and the end result - no more bikes at Norway

Loud Sucks!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 09:37 PM
Joe

Sportbike: 2007 GSX-R600, 2007 KX250F, 2004 YZ450F, 2006 CRF50
Years Riding: As long as I been ridin your mama
How you found us: Joemama

Send a message via MSN to Joe Send a message via Yahoo to Joe
Quote:
Originally Posted by BH View Post
Loud Sucks!
+1 sounds has seemed to have caused many issues even in the motocross arena. I think that 94db is a good target to shoot for and maybe even 90db? Its going to take some major shoomzing to get us back to norway, but I think it can be done if we approach it correctly.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 09:52 PM
BH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
+1 sounds has seemed to have caused many issues even in the motocross arena. I think that 94db is a good target to shoot for and maybe even 90db? Its going to take some major shoomzing to get us back to norway, but I think it can be done if we approach it correctly.

there are tracks and offroad riding areas closing down all over the country.

as far as Norway goes, I won't get my hopes up.

if Les really did get a complaint from the county, we'd probably have to find a way to convince "the county" in addition to Les that we have reformed our loud and wayward ways.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 10:03 PM
Failed rehab

Sportbike: Striple
Years Riding: Dunno, awhile?
How you found us: DML

Send a message via AIM to Rob, Esq. Send a message via MSN to Rob, Esq.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BH View Post
there are tracks and offroad riding areas closing down all over the country.

as far as Norway goes, I won't get my hopes up.

if Les really did get a complaint from the county, we'd probably have to find a way to convince "the county" in addition to Les that we have reformed our loud and wayward ways.

You sound skeptical of the county thing.

Attorney-at-Law: Doing my part to contribute to the downfall of western society.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 10:20 PM
BH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
You sound skeptical of the county thing.
you mean that I think they really didn't receive a notice from the county? I wouldn't be suprised at all if they did. On the other hand, Les can be loose with the facts at times. For example, the situation with the supposed complaint from the NorthwoodsGP weekend. he told us one thing, he told the mini guys something else. Also, regarding some of the technical info regarding the sound readings.

regardless, I like Les, he's a good guy. I'm thankful he let us ride out there while it lasted. In no way am I saying he's a liar, or that he's unfairly banned us from riding. he just likes to talk a lot, tends to ramble at times, and it can often be hard to get a straight answer from him.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode