putting togethor a supermotard - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Super Moto Forum Let the Mayhem begin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

putting togethor a supermotard

hey guys new to the forum but not to bikes. i currently have a yamaha 78 rd400 street/ track bike that i ride and have had many dirt bikes and street bikes in the past but iv been on a 2 stroke vintage kick for a while now and i getting a little tired out from it so i need something new. my question is, im want to build a supermotard bike, i found coversion kits with tires, rims, brake parts, and a few other things for not that expensive. what kind of bike is best to use for these. i want to use it on the street also so do i go with a dual sport, or just get a yz250 dirt bike and buy a dual conversion for it and get it titled. Is getting a bike titled like that a hard thing to do. i know of international title services that does that but i just dont want to go through the trouble when i could already get something that is titled. any help that could point me into the right direction would be great help. thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 10:12 AM

Sportbike: KTM 950 ADV
Years Riding: since '07
How you found us: Gio

If you want to spend a lot of time riding on roads, get a DRZ400. It's just the best bang for the buck. Especially if you spend a few bucks on getting it a little faster. It requires almost zero maintenance, too.

If you want to use the bike mainly on the track and just occasional riding around town, any mx bike should work. There's always the hassle of getting it tagged though. And more expensive maintenance.

If you want to spend big bucks on a SM bike out of the crate, the Huskys are real nice. Ask Geo, he's staring at one in his garage every day
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

well i want to get an older bike maybe 00-04. i will rebuild the motor if needed,that im not worried about or the maintence. i like working on bikes and im uesed to it with my rd400. the bike will be mostly for the street. i just need a bike that i wont have problems getting parts for to do the conversion. im new to the motard scene. when i was at the isle of man in 07 all that people where riding where motards and street fighter bikes. and i have wanted to have one sense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 10:38 AM
Resident Slow guy

Sportbike: 250x_Dirtbike Triumph_Tripled_955i 90_H-D_Bagger CR80_Mini_Motard
Years Riding: Street_LOOOOOOONG_Time Track Backmarker
How you found us: Google

Send a message via AIM to Ohfugit
While there are a lot of choices, There are bikes and different parts almost every day for the crf450s and the yzf450s on smj
if you like the electric start there is the crf450x and the wr450.....
in this area you need to get one with a title that does not say "for off road use only"
(typically out of state like michigan or other)
but what Dongie was saying is correct, these bikes are a little higher strug so you will have to do more maintenance, valves, more frequent oil changes, also neither of the above has a 6th gear.
I have a few pics of mine here
https://www.chicagolandsportbikes.com...php?albumid=96

I have not ridden a drz yet but I hear they are a good choice

edit: I'm seeing a lot of the 600 dual sports on the street these days as well
a little more oaffy but still probably a fun bike

RD's are awesome wheelie machines.

Last edited by Ohfugit; 05-10-2009 at 10:58 AM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

nice bikes and nice 350, dont have that anymore i see, that sucks. i posted some of my rd in the vintage section under new guy. ya thats what i want but i need to ride it on the streets legally. il start looking for bikes up in michigan asap or for ones that are titled around here hopefully because i need to get this plan in motion before i spend my money on something stupid. thats where i was told to go get a title for my 72 honda ct70. but you need someone who lives there to do it obviously, so sense i dont i will have to figure something else out for that. maybe i.t.s.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 12:26 PM
Resident Slow guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by manic2stroke View Post
nice bikes and nice 350, dont have that anymore i see, that sucks. i posted some of my rd in the vintage section under new guy. ya thats what i want but i need to ride it on the streets legally. il start looking for bikes up in michigan asap or for ones that are titled around here hopefully because i need to get this plan in motion before i spend my money on something stupid. thats where i was told to go get a title for my 72 honda ct70. but you need someone who lives there to do it obviously, so sense i dont i will have to figure something else out for that. maybe i.t.s.
I just looked at your thread,
Welcome!
That bike of yours looks like TOO much fun.
I like the way you have it blacked out and of course the expansion chambers.

supermotojunkie, ebay,craigslist, thumpertalk and maybe even wera (forums.13x.com) are pretty good resources for the kind of bike you are looking for.
uship is sort of like an ebay for shipping if you do go that route.

Good luck.

"D"

Last edited by Ohfugit; 05-10-2009 at 12:29 PM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

ya the bike is a blast, a little hard to ride i need to get a new seat and move it up forward. to much weight is on the handle bars and it tires my arms out fast and takes away from those fun wheelies. but it handles good with the new race tech suspension up front and will be even better when i get weight distribution correct. enough with the rd i'll leave that stuff in the vintage section. thanks for the help il start looking at those places for a bike and hopefully something will pop up soon. i dont mind going to pick it up some where, i bought that rd on ebay and went to south carolina to pick it up. i do miss the stock look of the rd when i first brought it home. had a great comfy seat on it. ok now il stop talking about the rd on here.lol
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

so the more exploring i do the more questions i now have. not all dirt bikes, enduro, or dual sports can be made into a super motard? for example some companies only offer parts for a kawi klx 450f/r but not the 250 klx. and it seems that it is usaually only for year bikes from 2000 and current. i know it would be easier for me if i was just going to use a non street legal bike especially with the budget i wanted to use. i kinda wanted an abused bike that needed some tlc and i cant really find something like that. i know if i keep looking something will come up but dam i want to do this today. so dam impatient i am
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 03:07 PM

There is no clear definition of super motard. Typically, it's a converted dirtbike that is very light not over 600cc's(typically here, I know there are exceptions) with small wheels/knobbies. Dual sports such as KLR 650's can be converted but they aren't ideal even though some people have converted over. Then there are the "Hyper Motards" like the Ducati Hypermotard which is a heavy 1100ccc that tries to fit in with little guys but in reality it's too big/too heavy to be a true "super motard".

-Eric
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 07:54 PM
Resident Slow guy

I rode a 250 in supermoto trim all last year on the street.
It was kind of a lot of work and I think moving the stuff over to the 450 has made for a better street bike
To see what supermoto stuff is available to you, you can look here.

http://www.motostrano.com/

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

ya that is where i found the kits that i posted. seems like good deals to get me started. iv been going off the list of bikes that they offer the kits for so that i wont have problems getting started sense this is going to be a new door im opening for myself.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 10:43 PM
BH

Sportbike: KTM
Years Riding: Long enough to get arm pump
How you found us: find who?

Send a message via Yahoo to BH
it's harder to title a MX bike than it is to convert one (unless you get lucky, or get a KTM). and it's a lot more expensive to convert one than to buy one already converted.

there are plenty of used "bargain" bikes out there

tnat has a sweet YZ450 that is already titled
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 08:23 AM

Sportbike: KTM 950 ADV
Years Riding: since '07
How you found us: Gio

This a thread you might want to be watching: http://supermotojunkie.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 12:45 PM
Resident Slow guy

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda...Q5fmotorcycles

If you are buying parts I would shop around as there are typically deals or specials around, not to mention the stuff on SMJ.

I just bought out a guys race gearing, rear spring and chain.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode