Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

Which .22?

1K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  PaulieRedCoat 
#1 ·
Wanted to get some input from the people who know... I've gone shooting twice in the past but am out of it at the moment because of my wrist. Looking at .22 for the least beating on my wrist when I can shoot again. I prefer semi-auto over revolver. I like the look of the Beretta Neo U22. Use would only be plinking/target (and hopefully never home defense but if needed.)

Discuss and recommend, please.

#6 ·
If it's nothing serious and you already have a pistol you may want to just get a conversion kit. Conversion kits are not target grade but will be fun and do not need a 4473.

If your looking from the grond up, The Ruger is good buy and so is the Buckmark. If you plan on modding it, get the Ruger. If you will never have it worked on get the Browning. Stay away from the Walther P22 or the Neos.

S&W make an OK pistol, but for the money you could get a platform that's much more supported.

#7 ·
Don't plan on any modding. I checked out the rimfirecentral forum Paladin recommended (good stuff, rep coming) Think I'll probably be going with the Buckmark. Any particular one you guys would recommend over the other 23 buckman models?

#8 ·
#9 ·
I saw the P22 on sale for $269 2 weeks ago at a sporting goods store on Rte. 72 by Rte. 59. I also know where you can get one w/ carbon fibre frame/receiver for $329. I was going to pick one up last February but it felt small so I ended up with a Sig Mosquito w/ a compensator. I like it better 'cause it's 90% the size of my P226. Ammo wise both pistols are picky so I use CCI mini mags and I have no problem with it.

#12 ·
IMO, Ruger MKIII target ftw. And yes it is a bit of a pain to clean.

#16 ·
I'm going to wait until after next wednesday when the cast comes off (and the pin comes out) so I can see how they all fit my hand. Even though I won't be able to support the weight with my right I should be able to tell comfort a little better.

#22 ·
I had a S&W 22A that I picked up cheap from Megasports. I was happy with the gun, but could never completely load the magazine. If I would load 10 rounds, it would almost always jam on the second shot. If I loaded 9 rounds, never had a problem. I think I paid $199 for it. For that money, it was a great gun.

#25 ·
Just bought a Beretta Neos U22 in all black 6" barrel. Just felt better in the hand that the Buckmark. Picking it up Saturday. Pics will follow.

Discovered an interesting fact... As a resident alien purchasing a gun you need to also provide utility bills showing that you've lived in the same place for 90 days. Weird.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.