Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

Official Photo Contest #6

3K views 64 replies 20 participants last post by  saQ "C" 1 
#1 ·
R U L E S:- The host gives you a topic of interest and you get going. You post ONE image (only first image by one person will be judged) that is relevant to the challenger theme. You can change your image as many times as you like before the deadline.
- The host chooses a winner *AND* runner-up after closing. The decision of the judge (the Host!) is final. The judge is *not* eligible. The winner then chooses the next topic, tells everyone when the photo's must be posted by (give some reasonable amount of time like a week), runs the challenge, judges the winner and passes on the baton to that person. Winner/Host, please post a reasonable topic that someone who's not a pro photographer can be a part of. Remember it's not just cool shots, but the story that can be told for some.
- If the winner fails to post a new challenge within 48 hours of being declared the winner then the runner-up should post the new challenge within a further 24 hours.
- Any picture you've taken is eligible regardless of time taken and camera it was taken with. You can do all the post processing you want. However, it is most helpful if you list your camera, lens and exposure info along with your photo.
- All levels welcome. If you don't have the best lens or just a plain old pocket camera but your shot tells a wonderful story then there's no reason you can't win! This is about overall photo's and their story, not just about expensive equipment.
- Feel free to comment on other contestant's images. If you want someone to leave you a piece of constructive criticism, ask for it...after all we are here to learn too and practice.
- Provide any additional information concerning your entry you want. Explaining how the shot might relate to the topic could help too.
- Winner/Host, please copy and paste these rules into the topic and thread that you post because some might start doing contests later and miss the first one.

-New Rule, no camera phone pictures. This is an artistic contest and nothing about a camera phone shows good composition or technique.

Official Photo Contest #6 Topic
This week’s topic is “Architecture”. Compose and capture pictures of anything that shows some architecturally "interesting" portion of a structure. I only want you to capture some view of a building or statue, not the entire thing. The key is to find something built by humans and capture a visual frame of what you think makes it interesting.

I anticipate this begin difficult to judge, but I will do my best to describe how I picked the winner. Essentially, I will be looking at your choice as something visually interesting to me, with bonuses for interesting camera angles, lighting, etc.

Due Date: 4/2/2008

Here's my example:

See less See more
#4 ·
one of my favorit things to take pictures of

my canon g6 cant remember any settings
just a walk around town in montreal the building across the street was made of glass and was reflecting the sun on to this one.
picture was a little under exposed so i fixed it after with PS
link to full size pic

http://photo.ringo.com/256/256043169O309396160.jpg

#14 ·
a while back i had a full function camera and i was testing and trying my hand at it till i decided i wanted a SLR camera and i was playing with photo shop but thats the church cleaned up a bit and the sky wasn't as good as i wanted nor the presence i wanted to capture from what i saw when i took the photo.

but yes i took the sky from another shot and inserted it in. (my sky shot that i took)

if this breaks the rules let me know dave and ill pull it.

i didnt see that exclusion so i thought it was ok to do.

i am just playing along for the humor of this not the seriousness of this contest.

#15 · (Edited)

Canon SD500 and P-shop ONLY to 'bring out' the moon more. The rest of it is untouched.

There was some movie being filmed at night on Logan BLVD last winter. It was about 20 below zero that night and they had the whole street lit up like it was daylight.

I looked at how the greystones were lit up and saw the moon just hanging there. . . . The creepy trees weren't even part of my original framing until I actually walked up and started snapping away.

#16 · (Edited)

Does this count?
Foo Dog in front of a building in LA Chinatown

unprocessed - straight out of the camera
Canon 30D

EXIF
Date Modified 2007-07-11 19:36:38
Date Taken 2007-07-11 19:36:38
Camera Canon EOS 30D
Exposure Time 0.005s (1/200)
Aperture f/6.3
ISO 400
Focal Length 122mm (195.2mm in 35mm)
Photo Dimensions 3504 x 2336
File Name IMG_4072.JPG
File Size 3.58 MB

Flash flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
Exposure Program normal program
Exposure Bias 0 EV
Exposure Mode auto
White Balance auto
Color Space sRGB

#18 ·
^^^^^ #16 I almost wanna say that falls into the statue area

#20 ·
Additional info:

Ken asked about the Photochopped sky, as I said this will be tough to judge. If your shot is in the running once I see everything, chopping in new features COULD potentially be a desiding factor against you. That will not be a criteria unless I need ways to break a tie. Using Photoshop (or whatever) to bring out aspects of features naturally occurring in the frame could go either way. My first interest is the composition, lighting, framing, etc.

#24 · (Edited)
I'm constantly impressed with the submissions in these Photo Challenges! So many people with a "good eye" around here.

I really don't have time to take a fresh photo, so I'll just submit a recent one:

I could improve the shot by punching it up in Photoshop a bit to help even out the tones, but I think I'll just leave it as so.

This shot is the winding stairway at the Lynfred Winery, taken on the way down to the wine tasting setup by Jackpot.
Hand-held, low light, framed as I was walking past the coat rack at the base of the stairs...I'm surprised it came out at all honestly.
Nikon D300 with Sigma 30mm fixed lens @ f/2.8 I believe it was, ISO 1600

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.