*OFFICIAL* PS3 is only good as a BluRay player thread... - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Playstation 3 Forum For PS3 discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
-+-+-+-+-+-

Sportbike: 2002 YZF-R1
Years Riding: A few days since yesterday
How you found us: Another website

*OFFICIAL* PS3 is only good as a BluRay player thread...

Discuss.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 07:04 PM

Sportbike: BMW R1100s
Years Riding: 13
How you found us: Rider

Not only.

Blah, Blah, Blah

Get your Portable ID!
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 08:02 PM
Joe

Sportbike: 2007 GSX-R600, 2007 KX250F, 2004 YZ450F, 2006 CRF50
Years Riding: As long as I been ridin your mama
How you found us: Joemama

Send a message via MSN to Joe Send a message via Yahoo to Joe
Well if you are a die hard gamer, then the PS3, is not for you, but if you want to play COD4, and then play GTA4 all day long its for you. Its all a matter of opinion. Of course, if all your friends have xbox360 then you are going to miss out with the online factor as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 10:51 PM

Sportbike: 05 CBR600RR
Years Riding: 1 year
How you found us: CBR Forum

Send a message via AIM to AgentofDarkness
There are some pretty good titles coming out of PS3 this year. GT5, MGS 4, FFXIII, Resistance II. PS3 also has some stuff 360 does not. The European version of PS3 has a TV tuner adapter will allow you to use your PS3 as a TiVo, service is free. This isn't available in the U.S., yet. Also, the games that are coming out for PS3 right now only use about 40% of its processing power. I'm curious to see what kind of games come out for PS3 that use closer to 100% of its processing power. Sony came out with a system that is "future-proof". It will be a solid system for many years to come. I like that I can use my PS3 for much more than just playing video games. I can watch Blu-Ray. Instead of hooking up my laptop to my TV to watch a movie, I can stream the movie from my media server. If they release the TiVio thing for the U.S., I will be picking that up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch View Post
In motorcycle terms, that's like taking your Ducati to a dealer for service, and they hand you back a 1979 backfiring Honda 400 Hawk.. because after all, a bike is a bike.
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 12:22 AM

Sportbike: Suzuki GSX-R750
Years Riding: I ride a tricycle
How you found us: Google!

The addition of Home this quarter along with free online play and a revamped PSN store will blow xbox live out of the water. Discuss!

-Zach
http://www.myspace.com/zachreborn

PSN: reborn29
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 06:38 AM
Rex Banner

Sportbike: 99 SV650, z50r
Years Riding: A few years
How you found us: A tranny told me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
Well if you are a die hard gamer, then the PS3, is not for you
Explain this.... without mentioning halo

Lord, beer me strength

Gamertag: FlyingHellf1sh

Last edited by Flying_Hellfish; 03-20-2008 at 06:42 AM.
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
-+-+-+-+-+-

Sportbike: 2002 YZF-R1
Years Riding: A few days since yesterday
How you found us: Another website

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellion29 View Post
The addition of Home this quarter along with free online play and a revamped PSN store will blow xbox live out of the water. Discuss!
The fact that they are 6 years too late to the online market means they will never catch up...

Discuss.
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 07:59 AM
Rex Banner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyhole View Post
The fact that they are 6 years too late to the online market means they will never catch up...

Discuss.
I think you're getting confused, how are they late to the online market? Home is just a "second life" type online space that will be ever changing based on the users. PS has had FREE online gaming since the PS2.

Lord, beer me strength

post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 08:05 AM
Joe

Sportbike: 2007 GSX-R600, 2007 KX250F, 2004 YZ450F, 2006 CRF50
Years Riding: As long as I been ridin your mama
How you found us: Joemama

Send a message via MSN to Joe Send a message via Yahoo to Joe
Really, what does it matter as long as you're having fun.
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 08:37 AM
The Halo hides my Horns

Sportbike: SV650
How you found us: Google

I like the Sony platform, but I have to admit, once 360 goes Blu-Ray, I'll have less reason to go with the PS3.

Hellfish, I love your avatar. I'm going to order or make some shirts like that soon. :P

aut cum scuto aut in scuto

http://www.firespeedtactical.com

My ZenFolio Gallery: www.LonelyRaven.ZenFolio.com
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
Really, what does it matter as long as you're having fun.
Agreed.

I was an inch away from buying a 360 simply for Gears, Bioshock and Halo but I already had a PS3 and too many games to play. Not a big loss anyway.

I will say that I've since bought a Wii and having a damn good time. Its not 1/2 as complex as a PS360 but then its like 1/2 the price. Besides, the wife likes playing it, great grandma likes bowling, grandpa likes golf and grandma is even mildly entertained.

My PS3 games are a major time investor. I can only play 1 at a time and that usually takes me a month or longer to finish. Orange Box is really 4+ games so I'll probably be attempting to finish that for quite a while. The Wii however, you can start up, play for 30 minutes and then walk away. That's important to me. Of course I do have longer play games like Metroid and Zelda and right now Metroid is winning my time over the PS3.

I won't buy Metal Gear because I don't like the camera, especially in the 3rd installment. Everytime I tried to evade or hide in weeds despite the camo I was still discovered because the camera wasn't adjustable like it is in Splinter Cell. I'd crawl through brush and my 1st person vision perspective would be blocked by folliage but I'd still be discovered. Only later did they come out with the Substance edition that had a better camera but I wasn't going to play the game again.

Blah, Blah, Blah

Get your Portable ID!
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 09:01 AM
Rex Banner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post
I like the Sony platform, but I have to admit, once 360 goes Blu-Ray, I'll have less reason to go with the PS3.

Hellfish, I love your avatar. I'm going to order or make some shirts like that soon. :P
FYI, last I read/heard MS has no intent on going to Blu-Ray. The rumors of their interest in creating a blu-ray version were just rumors.

Just to to jinx, they have a shirt there and you don't have to make it.

I love the Wii, where's that forum!

Lord, beer me strength

post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 09:49 AM
The Blue Ranger

Sportbike: 2007 R6
Years Riding: I drag knee beotch! True story
How you found us: Friend

Send a message via AIM to achapman Send a message via MSN to achapman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post

It won't be going blu-ray for quite some time.

post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by achapman View Post
It won't be going blu-ray for quite some time.

But is it that big of a stretch for MS to simply sell a BR player much like they did the HD DVD player? At least the hardware isn't built in. IMO, its only a licensing thing not a technical thing and Sony would probably make more money licensing BR to MS than it would loose by competing with the 360.

Anyway, they've been saying the same thing about the Wii now for a while. As long as the 360 and the Wii will continue to play games I don't see that as a big deal.

Of course, MS totally dropped support for the original xBox when the 360 came to market so if there is a new MS consol on the horizon 1-3 years in the future then I suspect support for the 360 will be dropped as well.

Sony has planned a 10 year life for the PS3. Case in point, the PS2 is at 8+ years and still sees new games.

Blah, Blah, Blah

Get your Portable ID!
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 10:08 AM
Rex Banner

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibeemer View Post
But is it that big of a stretch for MS to simply sell a BR player much like they did the HD DVD player? At least the hardware isn't built in. IMO, its only a licensing thing not a technical thing and Sony would probably make more money licensing BR to MS than it would loose by competing with the 360.
It actually is.... link And other places like gizmoto report that MS is investing more into their HD downloadable content now that HD-DVD is dead.

I'm highly doubting that the 360 will see a blu-ray player.

Lord, beer me strength

post #16 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibeemer View Post

Anyway, they've been saying the same thing about the Wii now for a while. As long as the 360 and the Wii will continue to play games I don't see that as a big deal.

Of course, MS totally dropped support for the original xBox when the 360 came to market so if there is a new MS consol on the horizon 1-3 years in the future then I suspect support for the 360 will be dropped as well.

Sony has planned a 10 year life for the PS3. Case in point, the PS2 is at 8+ years and still sees new games.
First, I think it is absolutely foolish for Sony to allow MS to release a Blu-Ray player for the 360. The thing with PS3 (and PS2) is that you can be guaranteed that your investment in the console will bring many, many years of use. XBOX on the other hand is only good for a couple of years since MS uses sub-par hardware and will need to release something new to catch up to Sony.

Quote:
In motorcycle terms, that's like taking your Ducati to a dealer for service, and they hand you back a 1979 backfiring Honda 400 Hawk.. because after all, a bike is a bike.
post #17 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 10:20 AM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Sony kept pushing back thier release date for the PS3 while the 360 got more and more popular. the PS3 is now just like a MAc, it may be a better system "technically" but it will never have the market share the 360 does in this current market. also at least in the world of computers a mac can do everything a windows machine can do so you have that luxury, the PS3 cant play on xbox live so for anyone to switch to one, you would have to say goodbuy to the 50+ people on your friends list on Live.

lets face it, microsoft got it right this time. If they could have locked apple off the internet back in the day the Mac would have died, but they couldn't. Well they basically just did it with sony.

if Sony doesn't figure something out soon or pay some licensing to get on net with Live. They are gonna go by the wayside very fast.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #18 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 10:22 AM
Administrator

How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentofDarkness View Post
First, I think it is absolutely foolish for Sony to allow MS to release a Blu-Ray player for the 360. The thing with PS3 (and PS2) is that you can be guaranteed that your investment in the console will bring many, many years of use. XBOX on the other hand is only good for a couple of years since MS uses sub-par hardware and will need to release something new to catch up to Sony.
If sony was smart, they would have held this over MS's head and used it as a bargaining chip to get on live.

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

post #19 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 10:29 AM
The Sausage king

Sportbike: Ducati
Years Riding: Since my mid-life crisis
How you found us: Hankered for a hunka cheese

The next xbox is already being worked on. You'd think they'd try to fix the RRoD before they move on to the next generation.

And like Flying_Hellfish said, MS is saying downloadable movies are the future, not BR disc. Can you imagine how long it would take to download a movie in HD? Not to mention people with slower internet connections would be S.O.L.
Regardless, I'd rather have hard copies of movies. Having a hard drive crash and losing my music collection sucks enough, losing all my movies too would make me punt the hard drive through the front door.

Da Bears!
Ducati
post #20 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 10:33 AM
The Sausage king

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTony View Post
Sony kept pushing back thier release date for the PS3 while the 360 got more and more popular. the PS3 is now just like a MAc, it may be a better system "technically" but it will never have the market share the 360 does in this current market. also at least in the world of computers a mac can do everything a windows machine can do so you have that luxury, the PS3 cant play on xbox live so for anyone to switch to one, you would have to say goodbuy to the 50+ people on your friends list on Live.

lets face it, microsoft got it right this time. If they could have locked apple off the internet back in the day the Mac would have died, but they couldn't. Well they basically just did it with sony.

if Sony doesn't figure something out soon or pay some licensing to get on net with Live. They are gonna go by the wayside very fast.
Sony has their own network and its just fine (free) to me. Plus there are enough people I know to build a friends list on PSN. Being first out to market (again RRoD) doesn't always make you better.

Da Bears!
Ducati
post #21 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 11:12 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe_Froman View Post
Sony has their own network and its just fine (free) to me. Plus there are enough people I know to build a friends list on PSN. Being first out to market (again RRoD) doesn't always make you better.
never said it made you better. but it gives you market share. Market share is what business is about. PSN could shit golden eggs, but it doesnt have the market share to be succesful.

look at windows and mac again, windows has the market share even though the mac is superior. but Microsoft could stop mac from playing on the internet because they didnt own it. now look at the big picture Microsoft finally has thier own network, thats has the majority of the users and they control who gets on. as much as i hate bill gates, the man is a genius.

- Ronald Reagan

post #22 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 11:24 AM
Rex Banner

Saying one or the other is better is just subjective and not really a valid point.

Market share is one thing. But the number from the last few months (last time I checked don't hold me to this) show an increasing number of PS3 sales, even edging out the 360. Could this be that everyone who has one wants one? Or that since the format war is over they want a blu-ray player? Possible, but as it's been said, MS doesn't have much on the horizon for the 360. People love xbox live but I've never been too keen on paying a monthly service to play games online. The roadmap is so short on the 360 that even if I did want to play gears (which is available for PC now) and I didn't have a gaming rig, I couldn't justify the purchase.

Lord, beer me strength

post #23 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 11:30 AM
The Sausage king

Quote:
never said it made you better. but it gives you market share. Market share is what business is about. PSN could shit golden eggs, but it doesnt have the market share to be succesful.

look at windows and mac again, windows has the market share even though the mac is superior. but Microsoft could stop mac from playing on the internet because they didnt own it. now look at the big picture Microsoft finally has thier own network, thats has the majority of the users and they control who gets on. as much as i hate bill gates, the man is a genius.
You're assuming Mac is superior..... oh boy!

I understand what you're saying, you grab the bigger market share and you ride that wave. Windows vs Mac, XBL vs PSN, Ducati vs Gixxer, etc........

Da Bears!
Ducati
post #24 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 11:47 AM

Agreed. By the time they figure it out we'll be onto another generation.

Blah, Blah, Blah

Get your Portable ID!
post #25 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 12:22 PM

Sportbike: Suzuki GSX-R750
Years Riding: I ride a tricycle
How you found us: Google!

Quote:

The market share is a very interesting thing. This is really a win for Nintendo. neither Microsoft or Sony will come close to touching the sales that Nintendo has hit for this generation and will continue to hit. I think that Sony will end up passing Microsoft up by the end of this year. Europe is almost all PS3, Japan is ALL PS3, but we are mostly 360. There was a recent study done though showing that most of the owners of the ps2 bought a wii and will probably end up picking up a ps3 by the end of this year with such great titles coming out.

I must say though that Microsoft did a spectacular job with the 360 and with Live! I hope Sony does a good revamp once Home hits and brings us some much needed online features, including game to game party systems and between game chat. We'll just have to see.

I do think the PS3 did a much better job at the media center thing though.

-Zach
http://www.myspace.com/zachreborn

PSN: reborn29
post #26 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 12:34 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellion29 View Post
The market share is a very interesting thing. This is really a win for Nintendo. neither Microsoft or Sony will come close to touching the sales that Nintendo has hit for this generation and will continue to hit. I think that Sony will end up passing Microsoft up by the end of this year. Europe is almost all PS3, Japan is ALL PS3, but we are mostly 360. There was a recent study done though showing that most of the owners of the ps2 bought a wii and will probably end up picking up a ps3 by the end of this year with such great titles coming out.

I must say though that Microsoft did a spectacular job with the 360 and with Live! I hope Sony does a good revamp once Home hits and brings us some much needed online features, including game to game party systems and between game chat. We'll just have to see.

I do think the PS3 did a much better job at the media center thing though.
Now the real question is, when you look at the life span of a gaming system every couple years a new generation comes out. so we can assume MS will have a nedw system coming out for x-mas 09. will sony counter it with a PS4? or will they continue to stay a year or two behind.

- Ronald Reagan

post #27 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 12:48 PM
Clever Girl

Sportbike: 'Fightered F3
Years Riding: 3 years
How you found us: I woke up here.

Send a message via AIM to Noodles
Quote:
Now the real question is, when you look at the life span of a gaming system every couple years a new generation comes out. so we can assume MS will have a nedw system coming out for x-mas 09. will sony counter it with a PS4? or will they continue to stay a year or two behind.
It almost seems like Sony is hoping that the PS3 will still compete with whatever the next gen Xbox console is. It could be possible as well with the integrated Blue-ray, "built to be upgraded" and crazy processor on the thing.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
Noodles accepts no liability for the content of this post, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. Any views or opinions presented in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Noodles.
post #28 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 12:50 PM
The Sausage king

Quote:
Xbox 720 is in the works coming out sometime in 2010 according to rumors.

While the Playstation lifespan is considered to be 8-10 years. That's why PS3 was delayed and packed with as much hardware as they can. I don't expect the PS3 to be obsolete when the next xbox comes out though just like the PS2 didn't go away when the original xbox came out.

Da Bears!
Ducati
post #29 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 12:54 PM
Rex Banner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe_Froman View Post
Xbox 720 is in the works coming out sometime in 2010 according to rumors.

While the Playstation lifespan is considered to be 8-10 years. That's why PS3 was delayed and packed with as much hardware as they can. I don't expect the PS3 to be obsolete when the next xbox comes out though just like the PS2 didn't go away when the original xbox came out.
That's the issue. As far as I can tell the xbox is still behind the PS3 as far as pure hardware is concerned, even though MS will release a new box every 2-3 ish years it'll be 2-3 releases before they catch up it seems.

Lord, beer me strength

post #30 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying_Hellfish View Post
That's the issue. As far as I can tell the xbox is still behind the PS3 as far as pure hardware is concerned, even though MS will release a new box every 2-3 ish years it'll be 2-3 releases before they catch up it seems.
I'm curious how MS can release a new console every 2-3 years and have people still buy it. I know that I wouldn't want to drop $500 every 2 years for a new console.

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode