Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

Making homemade pizza

3K views 33 replies 15 participants last post by  Kruz 
#1 ·
I want to make homemade pizza with my kids this weekend. I want to buy the dough or Bobali(sp).

Anyone have any secrets or anything to share?

Thanks

Marc

#2 ·
USe canned biskits.. add and kneed it together if ya cant find the original good stuff....

Good luck and have fun with the childrens.....

#3 · (Edited)
You can buy pizza dough ready to go in a tube near the referigerated roll tubes. Get a can or jar of pizza sauce. Shredded mozzarella cheese and italian sausage or whatever toppings. I generally cook meat toppings in a pan and drain before putting on the pizza. Get a shaker of italian seasoning to add a little taste.

French bread is good too if you don't want to mess with dough. You can also find frozen pizza dough in the freezer section that looks just like the frozen pizza dough rolled in circles ready to go.

#4 ·
Bobali works fine. Its important to preheat the oven.

Also, when you put the za in the oven don't use a pizza stone or a cookie sheet because the crust will turn out a little chewy or soft. Just put it in there on the oven rack and it will toast up fine.

If pull it out and its soggy in the middle still the next time you do it put the crust in for about 5 minutes before you put the sauce and cheese on it, especially if the crust has been in the freezer and not thawed out overnight.

Oh ya and timing. Set the timer to what it says on the Bobali package which should be 15 minutes or so. After 10 minutes turn on the oven light and watch it until the cheese just starts to brown. You want it just to start turning brown all over the top which it might not depending on how even your oven heats. My point is that sometimes this takes more than 15 minutes and if you pull it out early you run the risk of having a soggy center.

Oh ya, the more topings you put on the harder it is to heat the center so if you like a lot on your za preheat the crust.

#7 ·
make your own dough, it's not that hard. just make it in the morning and let it rise in a big bowl under a damp towel all day.

when your ready give the counter a good cleaning then spread flour over the counter and start rolling it out.

#19 ·
Tony, do you have a good dough recipe? I am one hell of a cook and baker, but the ONE thing I can't master is pizza dough. I either like super thin, really crispy crust, or being that my dad is from Brooklyn...I love the NY style crust from his neighborhood (all Italian and Jewish..go figure).

My homemade dough always tends to be too dense and doughy. Any suggestions?

#9 ·
Yup, when we used to own the bakery, we used to sell dough by the pound all the time. heck it was probaly you buying it, we were in elmwood park.

#11 ·
yep....forget Buying the dough. Get a bread maker and make it. It'll make all the difference in the pizza.

#17 ·
I didn't live in the area, but my grandmothers house was up there on pacific, couple blocks north of belmont right by the park. I spent all my weekends up there when I was a kid.

#20 ·
See i like mine More chicago style and a little thicker. Let me see what I can dig up, I had a few different ways of doing it and it's been a while.

#21 ·
The pizza making was a great success for my kids and I. Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I ended up buying premade crust this time around. My girls loved it and asked if we could do that every time instead of buying pizza when we want it.

#22 ·
I like home made pizza. I don't have to pay for it since I use stuff in the fridge. Its probably also cheaper, I just have to watch out for when my mom puts weird indian stuff as toppings when I'm not looking.

#25 ·
Na sometimes sneaking ingredients in is worth it. Sometimes it isn't. For example, if you run out of tomato sauce please remember that Ketchup isn't a viable substitute.

But, try dropping the tomato sauce in favor of refried black beans. Sprinkle on some Mexican crumbling cheese and top that off with crushed up tortilla chips, parm, and salsa verde and you've got something. Hell toss in some chorizo bits too.

#27 ·
I make a wicked Turtle pizza (turtle as in chocolate, caramel and pecans). If I wasn't working, I'd be by you and Nick's crawfish boil. Man, I hate working sundays :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.