Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

Offical Photo Challenge #9 Macro/Detail Due 04/30/08

3K views 46 replies 22 participants last post by  Odysseys 
#1 ·
R U L E S:- The host gives you a topic of interest and you get going. You post ONE image (only first image by one person will be judged) that is relevant to the challenger theme. You can change your image as many times as you like before the deadline.

- The host chooses a winner *AND* runner-up after closing. The decision of the judge (the Host!) is final. The judge is *not* eligible. The winner then chooses the next topic, tells everyone when the photo's must be posted by (give some reasonable amount of time like a week), runs the challenge, judges the winner and passes on the baton to that person. Winner/Host, please post a reasonable topic that someone who's not a pro photographer can be a part of. Remember it's not just cool shots, but the story that can be told for some.

- If the winner fails to post a new challenge within 48 hours of being declared the winner then the runner-up should post the new challenge within a further 24 hours.

- Any picture you've taken is eligible regardless of time taken and camera it was taken with. You can do all the post processing you want. However, it is most helpful if you list your camera, lens and exposure info along with your photo.

- All levels welcome. If you don't have the best lens or just a plain old pocket camera but your shot tells a wonderful story then there's no reason you can't win! This is about overall photo's and their story, not just about expensive equipment.

- Feel free to comment on other contestant's images. If you want someone to leave you a piece of constructive criticism, ask for it...after all we are here to learn too and practice.

- Provide any additional information concerning your entry you want. Explaining how the shot might relate to the topic could help too.

- Winner/Host, please copy and paste these rules into the topic and thread that you post because some might start doing contests later and miss the first one.

(I'm abolishing the silly "no camera-phone pics" rule; a camera is a camera. But if the photo looks like a fuzzy picture of dirt underwater, you probably aren't going to win.)

Official Photo Challenge #9 Topic: Macro/Detail

Inspired by Tony's fantastic Ducati dash photo of his project bike, this weeks photo challenge is going to be all about Macro/Detail. That leaves you wide open to do whatever you want, as long as it's got detail and/or closeup/macro style photography, it's fair game!

Please keep in mind, I judge on technical skill as well as emotional content of an image. Whatever really make me go WOW! the most in both aspects, is gonna take the challenge! So be on your game with these shots! If you aren't sure what I mean here, ASK!

Note: You do not *need* a macro lens to do macro/detail shots, that's why I left this open to "detail" as well as macro. For those who have never used the macro setting on your P&S camera (the flower icon), now is the time to try it out! I'm absolutely open to offering suggestions and guidance if someone wants some Macro tips, and if you have a Nikon SLR I'll even go as far as lending you one of my many Macro lenses for the challenge!

Please feel free to post as many photos as you want, but clearly state which one is your submission!!

Due Date: 4/30/2008 <---- Next Bike Night to help you remember

Good luck all, and remember, this is a fun challenge, so ENJOY YOURSELVES!

See less See more
#40 · (Edited)
I know it's already over, but here's a few cool one's I took on my recent trip to San Diego...by the way, I'm a total amateur...
Taken with Canon SD750 in macro mode
This was at La Jolla Cove...

San Diego Zoo...

and not a true macro, but cool nonetheless...at San Diego Zoo

#43 ·
:banhim:

#45 ·
Sorry everyone...not to bore you with details, but the move into the new house has been a pain. I still don't have internet connection, which is killing me!

I'm really sorry for holding up the challenge, but here it goes:

First place: Ken, I know you had help with this, but I love this shot. The detail, the lighting, the juxtaposition of a bug and a wheel. I'm glad you picked that as your submission.

http://www.chicagolandsportbikes.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=47023&d=1209002058

Runner up, gconsier. I love that shot because of the detail and the interesting subject. A little bump in the color saturation to make the image pop and you could have an image to print out and show off!

Vivid, I liked your shot, but the framing needed to be tighter. A single leaf and some stem and you probably would have stolen the show. Fantastic showing!

Paldin takes honorable mention with his watch shot. FANTASTIC! The only reason you didn't take first or second, was framing and plane of focus. The focus drops off the further up you go, and you clipped the top and bottom of the watch. If the shot was dead on so everything was in focus, and you framed it a hint better, you would have bumped everyone down a notch. Good shot!

Ponch, your first shot was the weakest of the bunch. Your 3rd shot the strongest. I like the layout and idea behind your first shot, but it's a bit blurry and maybe a bit cluttered. The third shot is very interesting and sharp and draws your eye to the ammo. I really like that third shot! You've got a good eye!

VTEC, nice shot. I like the use of photoshop. Just not enough detail for what I was looking for. It would make a great shot for an ad in a magazine though!

Biggy, I almost gave you second place. A very interesting shot, it just didn't catch me somehow. But I can't place exactly what it is...it's just...too flat. It doesn't have that 3rd dimension that Ken's and gconsier's shots had.

JaysunOne, Great shot! Convert it to black and white and see if it pops more.

Pinto, late submission, your first two shots are GREAT! I would have given you second place for the water shot if you had been able to kill the reflection and gotten a clear, full screen shot of all that. A circular polorizer would have helped with that.

OK, that's it for now. Ken, it's your show.

Sorry again for being late to tie this off. I've just been swamped and without the intarweb connection! :mecry:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.