Gingerman 5/16 = seriously was this a joke?? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Sportbiketracktime.com This forum is the Midwestern home for STT and their riders. Sportbiketracktime.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 172 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Mooooooove!!

Sportbike: 09 zx6r (the spotted Kaw)
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: a member at a track day

Cool Gingerman 5/16 = seriously was this a joke??

well i don't know where to begin to be honest but the first thing that comes to mind is WOW!. This was by far the worst shithole of a track day i've ever paid money for, seriously. Now i will say this surprises me because i've done days with STT in the past and they were great. I don't bitch to much but when my safety & my bike is put at risk thats when i get serious so lets see if i can iron out the details.

#1 issue: my safety as well as others. I can count on both hands the amount of times that sessions should have been red flagged & they were not, when a damn bike & a person is standing next to it is right at the damn apex wave the damn red flag, luckily i was able to adjust and not hit the bikes rear tire on my exit as i barely caught it as i was looking through the corner to the next, now this happened twice, a bike & a person standing in an impact zone. Now thats just the amount of times that i saw in person, i'm sure there were more in the other groups. ( a few in the Novice group as well that my buddy just told me ) to me that is a huge safety issue, not only to me but to the others on the track.

#2 issue: CR's (a bunch actually, not all but a bunch) now i know that this is volunteered & they aren't paid to do this, but really when a rider that has NEVER put a tire on this track asks for help with some lines maybe you shouldn't head out to set the fastest lap of the day & completely ditch the rider that asks you for help, i thought thats what CR's were there for, am i wrong?? Now i eventually learned the line on my own & then about the 2nd to last session one finally gave me some advice, sure your a better rider than myself but there are reasons we ask for help. My favorite part of the day was when they would pack in a group of 3 and all pass the riders (of whom may have needed some on track advice) to see who could run the fastest lap (thats just a guess of what they were doing). I will repeat that in the past i've got some great coaching from CR's but today was a damn joke.

Now i can spend my money elsewhere and i have no problem doing it, but i honestly can't say that i will do another STT track day if this is how shit is going to run, it was overbooked (again as i was told) and not by just a little bit. I'm to the point where you can keep my $35 and just cancel my membership, will you care?? who knows?? but i know where my future track addiction will be fueled and its not with this organization. If either Monte or Nick would like to speak to me personally about this then by all means pm me a phone number or let me know if you'd like mine. Sorry if i've been harsh but my safety is well worth ranting over. (and i'm sure i have some video footage of the type of crap i was speaking about so i'll dig through that if it is wanted)

Team Mooo-ve over #219
Red Headed Step Child Nesba CR #21
STT A #21
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 172 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 08:59 PM
Midnight Rider

Sportbike: R6 and a Z1000
Years Riding: for a bit
How you found us: random PM on sportbikes.net

While there were a lot of people today, I had a great time in novice. The coaches were great, and I had a blast. Sorry your sessions weren't much fun. The 'I' group did look pretty bunched up from what I saw.

Fat Pat #728

If you don't like my fire, then don't come around...
post #3 of 172 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 09:05 PM
Mind Bottler

Sportbike: Buell 1125CR
Years Riding: 1 year
How you found us: member JefferyT

You forgot acouple

#3 STT oversold Intermediate group by 20 riders!!! So they bumped acouple people to Advanced that probally werent ready, Intermediate was still packed with riders, some that should of been in Novice but signed up for intermediate and were road blocks 50 riders is way to many for one group.

#4 Bumped riders to Advanced group who didnt have there bikes set up for A group (no saftey wiring, back protectors) didnt even check

#5 speaking of CR's not helping I didnt talk to one the whole day, even followed 2 of them around the track for about 7 or more laps, looked back, no one behind me and they didnt even stop to talk afterwards to let me know how i was doing.. worst of all it was just the three of up and i think the front cr was towing around the other one, I just moved up to I group and was being held up by CR's, I dont understand that one??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 172 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 09:08 PM
I'm a non-achiever.

Sportbike: KTM 450sx/Sumo, XR50R w/training wheels
Years Riding: street 06; track 09
How you found us: the cops

I had a blast in A

"Slow is smooth, Smooth is fast"
post #5 of 172 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 09:11 PM

Sportbike: RSV1000R, 07 ZX600R, 90 R100GS, Zuma, KLX250....
Years Riding: 30+ Years
How you found us: My Man Odyssey

First I appreciate the input.

Second, what did Mike say when you brought this "Staff Riding" issue to his attention while at the event? Remember, we can't do anything AFTER the event.

We use the cornerworkers at each track that the track provides, typically they knw the problem spots. If this is substandard I NEED TO KNOW and we will bring it to GingerMans attention, but I am guessing they already know but I will personally call the office tomorrow. Was there a specific station that was more of a problem?

We had 35 Novice 38 Intermediate and 37 advanced. Total of 110 riders. That is sold out at GingerMan and not a number that a 2-mile track should have any problem absorbing and a number we have used at GingerMan for 10+ years.

Thanks for your comments.

Monte
post #6 of 172 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 09:26 PM
Mind Bottler

Sportbike: Buell 1125CR
Years Riding: 1 year
How you found us: member JefferyT

Booking to many "I" riders seems to be a STT trend (autobahn) there were more than38 in "I" it was way more crowded than "B" with 35
post #7 of 172 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 09:34 PM
Enjoying Life!!

Sportbike: 09 Night Rod Black Denim
Years Riding: Not Long Enuff!!!!
How you found us: Friends

I personally think CR's need to start enacting bumping down riders that should NOT be in a certain group. There were a couple VERY slow riders in I that possibly did choose a different group because of being sold out. I don't know for sure, but I do know they didn't belong in the group they were in. They had no form or consistency and hell I don't even think they had to lean on some of the turns.

That was my only issue. As far as the bumping up to A to relieve some of I and not being Safety wired I don't see being a big issue.

My only question is IF there were only 38 I and 37 A then why would they need/want to bump more to A only to overload A??? I heard rumors of 45 in I.

Other then that I had a good time and FINALLY after following Grasshopper for the line things came together. Big Thanks Nick!!

I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later!!

Last edited by CHeYeNNe; 05-16-2010 at 09:37 PM.
post #8 of 172 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubarc51 View Post
Booking to many "I" riders seems to be a STT trend (autobahn) there were more than38 in "I" it was way more crowded than "B" with 35
Riders in I tend to clump and this creates flow issues, every org has this challenge in I group. Since there is no uber straight at GingerMan (or Autobahn North) to allow passes wholesale it creates more of a problem at these venues.

Tracks with huge straghts (Putnam, Road America, Grattan, Mid-Ohio) have less issues. GingerMan rewards passing skills and the ability to plan ahead.. you can't wait for the big HP Straight and go blasting by a dozen bikes.. although with the new 800 foot addition to the back straight thats going to change a bit.

Monte

Last edited by SportBike Track Time; 05-16-2010 at 09:41 PM.
post #9 of 172 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 10:15 PM

Sportbike: Broken
Years Riding: 0-1
How you found us: Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportBike Track Time View Post
Riders in I tend to clump and this creates flow issues, every org has this challenge in I group. Since there is no uber straight at GingerMan (or Autobahn North) to allow passes wholesale it creates more of a problem at these venues.

Tracks with huge straghts (Putnam, Road America, Grattan, Mid-Ohio) have less issues. GingerMan rewards passing skills and the ability to plan ahead.. you can't wait for the big HP Straight and go blasting by a dozen bikes.. although with the new 800 foot addition to the back straight thats going to change a bit.

I learned a lot about passing in I today.

I also learned a lot about not passing due to huge line inconsistencies and emergency mid-corner braking due to, um, sudden "clogs". That part wasn't the greatest. In fact, I really don't like it at all and feel that something should have been done to reduce the likelihood of these patterns repeating themselves over and over again. You can't tell me the problem wasn't visible or verbalized to staff.

It was bad enough that I had the idea of having a second I group for people with liter bikes who love passing lower output machines and then clogging up corners or stuffing on turn in. If the track had an "uber straight" some folks in I would have been drilling themselves into armco oblivion, not spacing out the group. At least not in a good way, that is. I like to think there was no ill will on the behalf of any of the riders, just a lack of guidance. And that bike/rider hanging out on the outside of turn 3 after crashing was insane.

I'm not fast by any means, maybe back end of the top third of the group today, and in no way should be lapping people one or two times per session.

I heard the same complaints from people riding every group.

It felt like an uncommonly dangerous day for STT.

Last edited by poke; 05-16-2010 at 10:26 PM.
post #10 of 172 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 10:21 PM
Captain Dryspell

Sportbike: 2K4 Busa / 2K9 R1
Years Riding: About that long
How you found us: What

Take it to the street......

<<< Keith

NESBA #127
post #11 of 172 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 10:33 PM

Sportbike: 2003 Aprilia Mille R Colin Edwards / 01-02 Ninj ZX6r Tracktoy / 2003 SV650
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: some guy at the IBM credit union told me about it

Gingerman 5/16 = seriously was this a joke??

When I got my I sticker the guy told me there was 45 riders in I and asked me if I wanted to bump.

I was moved to A mid day and only stuck it out one session. I almost rearended someone mid corner hard (literally a 20mph mid corner speed difference and he swung right in front of me) I didn't crash and went back down to I (and a session or two later that rider followed where I lapped him once and almost a second time)

I mention this as multiple CR's knew who this guy was and requested he be bumped down but were told no due to I being over sold.

Obviously I am not the expert here but IMHO there were definitely some riders in I that would have fit in better in N (they looked soo scared and who could blame them having bikes blow by sometimes two at a time inside and out) and then that would perhaps leave room to bump some of the Mid pack or back pack I riders riding in A.

I know what you guys are talking about 3. That rider was getting lapped 2 to 3 x a session and I do believe went down twice today. When they crashed out the bike was just standing up right to the outside of 3 (where you'd end up if you went wide) putting the bike on the kickstand and standing there was just a HORRIBLE idea. I still can't believe I saw that.
post #12 of 172 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 10:35 PM

Sportbike: 2003 Aprilia Mille R Colin Edwards / 01-02 Ninj ZX6r Tracktoy / 2003 SV650

I did have a good time. But The above comments are valid.
post #13 of 172 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 11:07 PM
TheRexMachine

Sportbike: '04 Yamaha R6
Years Riding: 6 seeezons and rising
How you found us: A member named Will

This was my first track day and had a great time in N! CR's were awsome! Met a lot of good people from the boards for the first time. Tea thanks for taking my bike up and holding down group 5 in N. Jeff thanks for towing me around for a bit. And putting faces to the names, TripleZ, Dropmywrench, Falco dude(forgot your name), Pilot, PatFitz. Had a blast! Got my knee down for the first time, twice in turn 2, once in turn 3, and once in that last turn to the start/finish. Addicted! can't wait for the next one!
post #14 of 172 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 11:09 PM

Sportbike: '04 GSXR 750
Years Riding: 14 yrs.
How you found us: nesba forum

Well, looks like I made the right decision not going to this event. Reading these reply's, some of them being friends I trust, makes me glad I bowed out of attending this. I've only done Nesba events and looks like that's the way I'll stay.
Give credit to JfugginT for speaking his mind. I have a family and this hobby cost a lot of money that could be used elsewhere and I'm glad I have chose to spend my excess $ wisely.

Mike Jozwiak
STT A #27

Last edited by mike27; 05-16-2010 at 11:13 PM.
post #15 of 172 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike27
Well, looks like I made the right decision not going to this event. Reading these reply's, some of them being friends I trust, makes me glad I bowed out of attending this. I've only done Nesba events and looks like that's the way I'll stay.
I wouldn't make that rash of a judgement on this one day. There were definitely issues today but nobody is saying they will never do another STT day (I would say OP stopped purposely short of saying that). Both organizations have the +'s and -'s I'd suggest trying them both and seeing what fits you.
post #16 of 172 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 11:27 PM
King Nothing

Sportbike: I ride Ur Mom
Years Riding: As long as Ive known Ur Mom
How you found us: u found me

"I to A" = at this point you should be able to judge closing speed.

"Slow people in I or A" = at this point you should be able to judge closing speed.

"people standing in impact zone" = dont look at them and you wont hit them.

Admittedly, I have never done an STT day, but on the street many people say "ride your own ride", wouldnt that apply on the track too?

Unless people were getting bowling pinned by other people, I would say that it sounds like a typical track day. If you have such an advantage in corner speed over the other people in your "group", let them gap you on the straight blow by them on the exit. I actually like traffic and inconsistent lines, its a learning tool.

"When in doubt, use full throttle. It may not improve your situation, but it will end the suspense."
post #17 of 172 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 11:37 PM

Sportbike: R6
How you found us: Sportbike Track Time

Since Monte answered your guys concerns I won't add more. However, I'd like to address this..

Quote:
What day was this? Are you referring to the April event that I directed? If so your off on the numbers. We even counted the groups in the morning and it was 33 and 32 (for the "I" groups) on Sat and Sunday was even less...like 25 per group.

Nick Amelio
Northern Division Director and Gunshow provider
SPORTBIKETRACKTIME.COM

[email protected]
post #18 of 172 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 06:58 AM
Enjoying Life!!

Kegger you're way off. As Greg said the bike should of NEVER been left where it was plain and simple. The corner workers did a half ass job at this trackday. Also when you are lapping the SAME person in a group numerous times plus as stated they crashed once maybe twice then they need to be bumped down. Again that simple but wasn't done.

I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later!!
post #19 of 172 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHeYeNNe View Post
Kegger you're way off. As Greg said the bike should of NEVER been left where it was plain and simple. The corner workers did a half ass job at this trackday. Also when you are lapping the SAME person in a group numerous times plus as stated they crashed once maybe twice then they need to be bumped down. Again that simple but wasn't done.
I agree with your first statement....That bike should not have been left there and I already have a call into the correct person at G'man to discuss. We won't allow that to happen again.

As far as lapping a person in I..... As you know our N group is rather structured. Sad fact is that some riders with some track experience (but still sloooooooow) have egos that prevent them from being "Novices". That's really too bad because there is a ton of learning and fun going on in our Novice program and spending an appropriate amount of time there yeilds big rewards down the road..er..make that down the track.

One thing to remember about this event is that is was a $100/no membership fee event. This by its very nature going to attract some riders who might ride less than track day "regulars". Maybe a year ago they were a solid Intermediate but a year (or more....) away from the track has caused them to not be as fast as they remember or as good at line selction. Additionally I am sure this was the first day of the year for a ton of folks as well. Shaking off the cobwebs as they say.

Our next GingerMan event in June is still a bargin at $110 per day but I am sure will draw riders with a bit more experience. This $100 event was aimed at folks who might not be able to afford another day during the season and helping clubs introduce riders to the track and provide an affordable gateway opportunity.

Thanks a bunch for coming out and for the comments.. both positive and not so positive as well. I also want to remind riders that we cannot do anything about yesterday today.......the time to do something about yesterday was during yesterday. Please do not be shy about talking to one of our Staff members or the Event Director.

Monte

Last edited by SportBike Track Time; 05-17-2010 at 07:24 AM.
post #20 of 172 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 07:22 AM Thread Starter
Mooooooove!!

Sportbike: 09 zx6r (the spotted Kaw)
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: a member at a track day

Quote:
the sad fact is that it happened TWICE. once in turn 3 & once at 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotgreg View Post
I wouldn't make that rash of a judgement on this one day. There were definitely issues today but nobody is saying they will never do another STT day (I would say OP stopped purposely short of saying that). Both organizations have the +'s and -'s I'd suggest trying them both and seeing what fits you.
you are correct i haven't completely ruled it out because i know that when Nick or Monte are present at the event its a whole different ballgame, had either of them been there to talk to i would have done it after the first session after quiet time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportBike Track Time View Post
First I appreciate the input.

Second, what did Mike say when you brought this "Staff Riding" issue to his attention while at the event? Remember, we can't do anything AFTER the event.

We use the cornerworkers at each track that the track provides, typically they knw the problem spots. If this is substandard I NEED TO KNOW and we will bring it to GingerMans attention, but I am guessing they already know but I will personally call the office tomorrow. Was there a specific station that was more of a problem?

We had 35 Novice 38 Intermediate and 37 advanced. Total of 110 riders. That is sold out at GingerMan and not a number that a 2-mile track should have any problem absorbing and a number we have used at GingerMan for 10+ years.

Monte EVERY corner worker needs to learn track flags besides the yellow, if you had a rider in the impact zone of an exit you would red flag or have everyone at least pit to restart the session (i'd hope) they also could have spaced the groups in I to make it a bit more tolerable & let the faster guys pass through, put autobahns track marshall & crew out there & it would be perfect. I brought many of the same things i griped about to cr's attn (couldn't tell you a name as NONE of them introduced themselves & the riders meeting was essentially a waste as you couldn't hear a word they said.) & they just said ok we'll watch but it went on all day, we had no clue who to even talk to, to be honest with you. Now the N group i heard and SAW a little bit of order but the i group & even A when i would spectate needed help badly. As I said i don't complain much because i know that this is a reactive sport & we as the rider should be able to make due with what we have in front of us & i did by not hitting the bike & adjusting my line to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotgreg View Post

I know what you guys are talking about 3. That rider was getting lapped 2 to 3 x a session and I do believe went down twice today. When they crashed out the bike was just standing up right to the outside of 3 (where you'd end up if you went wide) putting the bike on the kickstand and standing there was just a HORRIBLE idea. I still can't believe I saw that.
there were a few ppl that were in I that i was consistently lapping & a few that had big bike syndrome that should have been in N but i made due.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxM86 View Post
This was my first track day and had a great time in N! CR's were awsome! Met a lot of good people from the boards for the first time. Tea thanks for taking my bike up and holding down group 5 in N. Jeff thanks for towing me around for a bit. And putting faces to the names, TripleZ, Dropmywrench, Falco dude(forgot your name), Pilot, PatFitz. Had a blast! Got my knee down for the first time, twice in turn 2, once in turn 3, and once in that last turn to the start/finish. Addicted! can't wait for the next one!
And that was my response to my first track day with STT, there are some ppl there that know what they're doing & i don't know where they were today but obviously not there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike27 View Post
Give credit to JfugginT for speaking his mind. I have a family and this hobby cost a lot of money that could be used elsewhere and I'm glad I have chose to spend my excess $ wisely.
Mike when have you known me to NOT speak my mind, I won't rule out STT events because i know the good of them, You didn't miss much at gingerman thats for sure but as long as Nick or Monte is around the events seem to run SO much smoother, just my thoughts.

Monte & Nick, you guys run things very well, it wasn't there yesterday BUT STT was attached to it & it could have been better, now i'm not a pro nor am i the best around but i'm damn sure working on getting myself there & well that costs $$$. I will say that from now on if i'm doing an event i will make sure that BOTH or one of you are there. Thanks for listening or rather reading & give the folks over there at gingerman a ring & tell them how to run a track because i could have done better at keeping ppl safe compared to them.

Team Mooo-ve over #219
Red Headed Step Child Nesba CR #21
STT A #21

Last edited by j_fuggin_t; 05-17-2010 at 07:24 AM.
post #21 of 172 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 07:56 AM

Sportbike: A couple
Years Riding: too long to have any sense
How you found us: NESBA

Monte,

Thanks for responding and addressing the issues raised. No one wants an unsafe track day, and STT has a good record for maintaining safe conditions on the track as much as they can.

I wasn't there, so I don't know what happened yesterday, but I hope to make it out to Gingerman with you guys later this summer.

This spring has seen a lot of new track riders, or those who haven't been around for a while come back with some of these "No Membership Req'd" promos by multiple orgs. Perhaps given this new reality, there needs to be more stress on the passing rules in the Riders' Meeting and perhaps more enforcement by the coaches when they see gross or repeated violations.

Craig

Last edited by beac83; 05-17-2010 at 08:00 AM.
post #22 of 172 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 08:17 AM
Midnight Rider

Sportbike: R6 and a Z1000
Years Riding: for a bit
How you found us: random PM on sportbikes.net

Monte - big props for addressing the issues right away

My only complaint with the rider meeting, it was very brief (and quiet). Knowing that there would be a lot of new and/or rusty riders, I think it should have been a bit more in depth. Flags were glossed over, and just a quick mention of 6 foot passing. I like when Nick grabs a CR and puts his arm out and shows what 6 feet really means.

Again, I thought the N group was run very smoothly. This was the first time that I talked to a CR and things made sense. I think his name was Andrew, the group 1 coach. He said what I needed to hear. While I'm not flying around dragging knee in every corner, he gave me the confidence that I needed to pick up speed and have a good line. My last two sessions felt great.

And all it took to get some space was a quick ride through hot pit, for me at least. It's much easier (and WAY less frustrating) to let the bunches go ahead than to pass 10-12 bikes in 2 laps.

Fat Pat #728

If you don't like my fire, then don't come around...
post #23 of 172 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 08:55 AM
Enjoying Life!!

I understand Monte BUT that's still no excuse why a CR didn't bump the couple indiduals down for the safety of them and other riders.

I had fun passing people and made for great practice but when I have to barely lean to make a turn that is dangerous for other riders and causes major traffic jam with to many people trying to pass a person at once.

post #24 of 172 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 08:59 AM
G2G

Sportbike: It changes everyday
Years Riding: since 1991
How you found us: Ur mom

Well the only 2 things I want to address are two things that affected safety. Riders meeting is the first thing. I beleive the head guy who gave the riders meeting was Mike (slicked back hair in his 40's). Usually when riders meetings are givin everyone scoots a little bit close so they can hear whats going on. Well this was also the case but it was to the point where we where on top of each other just to TRY to hear Mike. I yelled 2 times from the back of the riders meeting to speak up. I know he heard me because ALOT of people turned around when I said it. Mike was speaking so low during the riders meeting it was like he was just giving the meeting to the first 2 rows of people. Then don't even get me started ont he flag situation during the riders meeting. The lady was just as bad if not worse. When you have so many NEW riders for there first trackday this is a recipe for disaster.

Second was corner workers. Turn 2 station needs to be manned. I saw while I was spectating a couple of times where people crashed in turn 2 and it took a while before anyone noticed. One time when the Yellow Ducati crashed in B (towards the end of the day) in the apex of turn 2 he and his bike where in the impact area for over 5 mins without a red flag. It took 5 min before the bike was moved. A little unsafe in my opinion. I just think that turns 1-2 are the most accident prone corners for a trackdayand they should have a corner worker in it.

I had a blast with the guys from CLSB and CR. Out of the control riders I saw while out in advance and while I was watching in the turn 1,2,3 area they did a good job.

Last edited by G2G; 05-17-2010 at 09:37 AM.
post #25 of 172 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 09:34 AM

Sportbike: Broken
Years Riding: 0-1
How you found us: Magic

Quote:
I understand Monte BUT that's still no excuse why a CR didn't bump the couple indiduals down for the safety of them and other riders.

I had fun passing people and made for great practice but when I have to barely lean to make a turn that is dangerous for other riders and causes major traffic jam with to many people trying to pass a person at once.
This.
post #26 of 172 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:

In the CR defense I know at least 3 of them went to control to request that the person in A be bumped down and to do something about the white bikes in I - I know because I pitted next to two of them and I overheard pretty much everyone I was pitted with (a mix of A and I guys) talking to them about it (and they shared an ez-up with us part time) - they were told I was too booked so they couldn't pull that rider out of A - why they couldn't pull the white bike that crashed twice and was going so slow in corners the bike was wallowing back and forth back down to N and move that person to I i do not know)

They seemed pretty frustrated about it - I think that multiple CR's talked to control multiple times about it - when I mentioned almost hitting that guy I was talking to 3 CR's and all 3 of them knew exactly what bike it was - one of them even said "was it a ....?"

Kegger - While I agree with you - I shouldn't have came up on him like that - I was a bit out of my element and trying to ride the speed of those around me and I was completely not expecting that - I was coming down the back straight coming into 11 - I was about 3' from the left side of the track and I had a bike behind me a few feet to the right of me - this bike was on the far left right in front of me - I decided to tuck in behind him rather than to snap out to the right and go around him as I wasn't sure how fast the A guy behind me on the right was, but I could hear him there -- I did not anticipate this guy to literally stop. You come down that straight at over a hundred and I'd guess brake down to 60 or so (no speedo) he literally stopped up to maybe 15 mph. I was prepared to slow down to 40 or so I wasn't prepared to stop it up that much, my back tire was up off the ground at the end of the straight and I ended up standing it up in the kitty litter (you know you are going slow when you can roll off into a sand dune and stop) -- 5 seconds later Nick comes flying by and I hooked in behind that group I was able to keep up with the 4 or 5 guys chasing him around for that lap and then pitted out. Finally towards the end of the day he was bumped down to I

I don't know that going to a NESBA system of graduation is the right way to go for STT, but I definitely can see some benefits in it. I am not advocating changing your system as you guys know what you are doing but.. just an observation. If nothing else please be better about moving people up or down if they are causing problems on the race track and that means listening to the CR's when they say it needs to happen. Really that was one of the things that bugged me the most - that the CR said this person is unsafe out there in this group and they were told no. I understand you don't want people gaming the system and just signing up in different groups when their group sells out - but at the same time safety of the riders should come first.. maybe a few cracks on the knuckles with a ruler and a warning never to do it again.
post #27 of 172 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 09:53 AM
Armed law abiding citizen

Sportbike: '74 Yamaha RD350
Years Riding: idk
How you found us: Google

Along the same lines, if a N rider is riding well and deserving of a bump to I, would that person be held back because of overbooking? Or an A rider being left in A or I because that person if bumped down may not be a customer again?

FWIW I have only attended one STT day (April @ ACC) and I thought it was run well.
post #28 of 172 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 10:03 AM
Orgynizer

Sportbike: 07 600RR
Years Riding: 8 years
How you found us: ......................

Alright, well not my best track day to date but myself and my bike went home in one piece

During registration when I heard "I" was overbooked by 15 to 20 people I cringed, so I decided to start out in the back due to the ego's and inexperience that I knew was going to be in I. I did get a lot of open track that day by doing this I think. I passed and was passed as usual, it did get frustrating when you would come up on a group of 6-10 riders all clustered together but I either pitted out for a bit or passed as many as I felt comfortable doing. So Chey...you did NOT lap me

I cut the day short because I was just mentally exhausted and didn't want to push myself and possibly hurt myself and others. The seams were really messing with my head and I couldn't find a line I liked in a few turns so I decided to call it a day, I was just working too hard. Travis and Nick worked with me and I was fine when they were towing me around but they couldn't babysit me all day I did Gingerman last year and the seams didn't bother me one bit so not sure what my problem was.

But I was disappointed in the over booking and also some rules not being followed. In the past 2 STT track days I've done the 6 foot rule is NOT being followed..... A LOT. Now I'm not bitching because I don't like you passing me that close, I'm fine with it now due to all the track days I have done, but I KNOW there are people out there in I that have no clue what they are doing, so first off they might not be passing me safely cuz they don't know what they are doing but they just GOTTA pass you or they are going to pass someone who they are going to freak out.

Now I did talk to a CR about the 6ft passing rule but I couldn't find the guy that did it to me (less than 2 feet) twice in 2 sessions. Red/black leathers and red bike And he had a whole track to pass me so not sure why he HAD to pass so close both times. But I have some video so if I find him on the video....I'm calling him out

So yes, go yell at the CR's, talk to them, tell them if people aren't following the rules, they can't do anything about it the next day. I'm going to start calling people out on the 6 foot passing rule...especially in my videos!!!

I was also disappointed in the red flag issue....if people crash and the bike is pretty much on the track, don't they usally red flag it? I saw 2 crashes while I was on the track where the rider that went down could've gotten hurt cuz they were still by their bike or their bike was near the track...and just a yellow flag got thrown. And as Steve mentioned we watched the guy on the yellow duc crashe b/w 1 and 2 and he stood there by his bike for awhile...big and still no red flag

Hopefully these issues get addressed for the next Gingerman day!

But I still had a WONDERFUL day with my favorite track people; Chey, Marr, Steve, Kim, Nolan, Dani, Tea, Nick, Travis, Wally...and I'm sure I missed a few!

Pics coming in a bit

Shelly
STT Northern Promotions Coordinator
post #29 of 172 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 10:24 AM

Sportbike: RC31
Years Riding: Since '03
How you found us: it's a small world afterall

Quote:
I just moved up to I group and was being held up by CR's, I dont understand that one??
I wasn't there but wanted to comment on this.
Were you waiting for them to wave you by? Or were you having issues passing them?

FYI, unless it's the first lap of an I session where you should not pass the coach until you get a signal, you don't need a wave-by to pass STT coaches, if you don't want to follow them, or if they haven't specifically motioned to you that they want you to follow them, you're free to pass them all you want.

Swift Molly's Motor Circus
Michelin Woodcraft Armour Bodies Spyder Leatherworks STT STG

UNAPOLOGETIC FAN OF THINGS THAT ARE OLD AND SLOW
post #30 of 172 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckstop View Post
I wasn't there but wanted to comment on this.
Were you waiting for them to wave you by? Or were you having issues passing them?

FYI, unless it's the first lap of an I session where you should not pass the coach until you get a signal, you don't need a wave-by to pass STT coaches, if you don't want to follow them, or if they haven't specifically motioned to you that they want you to follow them, you're free to pass them all you want.
Perhaps he is used to NESBA rules where you are not allowed to pass a CR unless you are waved by?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode