TrackThisNick Review - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Sportbiketracktime.com This forum is the Midwestern home for STT and their riders. Sportbiketracktime.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Orgynizer

Sportbike: 07 600RR
Years Riding: 8 years
How you found us: ......................

TrackThisNick Review

So I demo’d Nicks video recording and GPS data acquisition at Autobahn on Saturday May 29th 2010 for a few sessions and WOW!! His website is spot on when he says this will help you with the following:

• Build your riding skills
• Reduce your lap times
• Improve your body position
• Improve your braking
• Improve your steering and
• Improve your throttle control

I think I improved on all of these just during the morning session’s, it was soooo nice to finally see some improvement. I feel like I’ve been stuck in a rut for quite some time now.

Nick has the footage so he can post the video when he gets it put together, but so many things clicked when I watched the footage immediately after the session. As his site says the video sync’s up with the track turn by turn, the footage is of my throttle hand and my rear end for body positioning (the views can change depending on how the camera’s are mounted) You can see so many different things on the footage and video doesn’t lie!!!

You get to see EVERY line you take for every lap you take, when you are on the throttle, brake and when you are coasting. This was the biggest eye opener for me, as some of you know that have ridden with me long enough on track you know that I let off the throttle too early and then brake too early as well, this is when a lot of people pass me and I get sooo frustrated!!
The past few track days I feel I have improved on this, if I just wait a few seconds longer I have no problem passing a lot of people, which is exactly what they were doing to me…lol

So I started 1st session with Bomber towing me around and riding like I normally do, Nick attached several cameras and the GPS to my bike. After first session we downloaded the footage right away and watched it, Matt and Nick sat down with me and reviewed almost every turn so they could see where I needed work. We decided to work on turn 2 and 6, I just wasn’t feeling entirely comfortable in those turns on Saturday. The point for both turns was to break later….a lot later than my liking…and try some different lines. I took a deep breath and put my life in Matt and Nicks hands and wow, I was able to implement it immediately during the next session. I believe I was shaving a few seconds off my times each session, Nick has the laptimes as well.

I was having a BLAST with Bomber out there, I was really enjoying setting up passes and executing them, while still picking up the pace! We’d pass some people and then I ‘d see some people ahead and was like a little kid wanting to catch them!! And I was really really surprised that I didn’t feel like I was out of my comfort zone. This is exactly what I needed!! This is the first time since probably last season that I actually felt an improvement in my riding! I was grinning from ear to ear all day long!

IMO I improved in turn 6 with braking later and turning in later, and you could see it in my lines and when I was braking, accelerating, etc. I improved on my braking in T1/2 but not as much as I liked, but I will work on it more the next time I’m there. I think for as much as I did improve it was huge for me!!!

So Bomber took me up to Advanced and I was like ….I didn’t wanna go, I had that same feeling when I got bumped to Intermediate I didn't want to slow the other riders down, but we all know they'll get around me with ease Then I thought about a few things they both said, along with other CR’s. A is much much safer than I and you will learn more and a lot faster in A. I really want to improve and get better so I said alright, let’s do it!! WOW, I was passing A LOT of people in I and now I was back to EVERYONE passing me….like I was sitting still!

But what Nick and Bomber said sunk in very quickly! Never once did I get spooked or scared in Advanced even though they could probably touch me when they were passing me. Then once they passed me I TRIED keeping up with them….key word being TRIED!! It didn’t last long but I know in the end it still helped my lines, body positioning and laptimes!

So I rode the rest of the day in Advanced and just made sure I was smooth, predictable and consistent. There was a guy that came up to Terra and me in hot pit lane and said he was having fun chasing us and that we were looking really smooth out there, so that put me at ease a bit. Several other CR's said I was looking good out there too, ones that have seen me improve over the years so again that made me breathe a little easier

I think Ken (LSilverR1) said it best when he got bumped to A, you have to give 110%, 100% of the time, wow was I exhausted!! Had a blast but exhausted. I know for the A people it’s nothing but for me it was a lot!

So if you feel you are stuck with specific things or specific turns at a track this would be perfect if you wanted to improve. I thought I was working on things out there by myself but once you get to see it all on video it really puts things into perspective. Yeah I take a lot of video when I ride and I’m going to start moving the camera’s around a bit but the GPS is what sealed the deal. The GoPro vid's only show so much but they are better than nothing!!!

So Nick, where is the video???

Shelly
STT Northern Promotions Coordinator

Last edited by Evil Twin; 06-08-2010 at 02:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 02:40 PM

Sportbike: A couple
Years Riding: too long to have any sense
How you found us: NESBA

Nicely done, Shelly. Good writeup as well.

Craig
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 02:42 PM

Sportbike: drz400sm
Years Riding: yes
How you found us: search engine

he mentioned this (you in particular) at the road america riders meeting
monday morning. i want to try this soon, sounds cool. props!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 10:39 PM

Sportbike: R6
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: Sportbike Track Time

WOW!!

Thanks Shelly! Awesome review!!

I haven't been available to post a video because I've been in Wisconsin since the 1st and this darn ear infection just won't go away. Im going to Dr. tomorrow. I will post the videos this week, but in an unedited state so everyone can see exactly what we work from with no fancy editing to mess the mix.

Thank you again!!!!

Nick Amelio
Northern Division Director and Gunshow provider
SPORTBIKETRACKTIME.COM

[email protected]
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 11:26 PM
Fat guy on a sport bike

Sportbike: Schwinn
Years Riding: 7 minutes and 52 seconds
How you found us: ask.com

Awesome review. I really want to try this but at my level I wonder if a full on session of this is worth the price of a track day. I'm interested in what both parties have to say.

Edit: I was told by a coach that I no longer belong in B and need to move up to I to get better
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket Rockets View Post
Awesome review. I really want to try this but at my level I wonder if a full on session of this is worth the price of a track day. I'm interested in what both parties have to say.

Edit: I was told by a coach that I no longer belong in B and need to move up to I to get better
You don't have to do the full blown GPS "coach on board" program. you'd be surprised what a single cam set up and Matt or I reviewing/correcting will do for you...and it's only 25 smackers! Check out the site and you can see all the different levels

www.trackthisnick.com

Nick Amelio
SPORTBIKETRACKTIME.COM

[email protected]
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 03:39 PM

Sportbike: Half an SV 650
Years Riding: '07
How you found us: CLSB found me

is the $25 package a camera on a chase bike, or your own bike?

Jordan
NESBA/CCS #811
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbizx View Post
is the $25 package a camera on a chase bike, or your own bike?

On YOUR bike! Im not big into the chase bike. It doesn't get the up close personal a cam on your bike does. The angles always change with a chase bike too. I think a chase bike is cool for show-n-tell...

Generally, I suggest 2 cams for 1 session. The 2 cams, with the coach review (which we now do on all camera sessions), usually sorts out 90% of the problems.

Nick Amelio
SPORTBIKETRACKTIME.COM

[email protected]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode