Post 9/11 & 9/12 @ BHF - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Sportbiketracktime.com This forum is the Midwestern home for STT and their riders. Sportbiketracktime.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
The Violator

Sportbike: A little bit of everything.
Years Riding: Not nearly enough!
How you found us: On a ride in Colorado

Post 9/11 & 9/12 @ BHF

I can't speak for those riding today, but yesterday was an absolute blast!

The morning sessions were wet with a persistent drizzle, but our afternoon weather damn near ideal.

A huge thanks to Nick, STT, & CLSB for the free day donated to raffle at our 10 yr anniversary party. After being away from the track for 2 seasons, this was just what the doctor ordered.

Good times grabbing dinner afterwards with the staff at Anna Maria's too.

I'd like to get in one or two more days before the snow flies. Never been to Gingerman or Grattan. Which track is better & which surface is in better shape?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 03:35 PM

Sportbike: 2008 hypertard 1100s/2010 rsv4 track
Years Riding: not long
How you found us: google

Gingerman or Gratten do both I like both but i like Gman slightly better the bathrooms are nicer and gingerman is closer to us. Dont forget there is one more Autobahn yet.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 03:37 PM

Sportbike: 2008 hypertard 1100s/2010 rsv4 track
Years Riding: not long
How you found us: google

O yeah whats up lombard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 04:09 PM
Just Here to Help...

Sportbike: '06 Daytona, '06 Sprint
Years Riding: Not long enough
How you found us: Stumbled upon a ride meet

I rode yesterday and it was my second time at the track. Agreed, morning was not so fun in the wet, but afternoon nearly ideal.

Do any of you know whether they had a photographer out there? Would love to document some memories with a quality better than my blackberry camera...

-Dan

Beware the Rickroll....
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 04:18 PM
The Plumber

Sportbike: 05 SV650S
Years Riding: enough
How you found us: Another member on another board I visit

Send a message via AIM to Matoo
Re: Post 9/11 & 9/12 @ BHF

Redline photo was there.
I didn't go out till after lunch sat, but had a great day. I had one little trip through the grass after a horribly botched shift, but kept it up right. Great day overall.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

"If you love your motorcycle let it go, if it comes back you've highsided"
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 07:33 PM
TERRAdactyl

Sportbike: 07 600RR
Years Riding: on the street since 01
How you found us: accidentally stepped in it

Send a message via Yahoo to catwlights
Saturday afternoon I had fun riding with Troy for a bit and I enjoyed coaching in I. Second time I've ever ridden this track. ....its still dirty and full of bugs. (Jen and X are sure to call me on that one)

Good times with kegger, Jason, Keith, and our next season track star, Eva. it was fun hanging out with you guys. I'm glad we were able to get most of the staff together for yet another good time dinner, too.

Sunday was great track conditions. A couple of red flags today. But no injuries....nteresting tidbit...the grid marshal informed me that we had the least amount of incidents this weekend in comparison to other events. I was pleased with the progress of the first time track riders in my group today and I'm excited to hear that a few will be signing up for autobauhn 25,26th.

Terra
STT Staff
Midwest Instructor
www.sportbiketracktime.com

Pushing the Limits of Life's Opportunities
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 09:19 PM

Sportbike: '03 SV 650S turned Nakid, '13 Empulse R
Years Riding: Enough
How you found us: Google

I've been to BHF three times in my short experience doing track days, and every one of those days had more red flags than the other 6 track days combined. I'm glad there weren't any injuries this weekend, though.

Sean
03 SV650
13 Empulse R
05 Mazdaspeed Miata
13 JSW TDI

It is far better to be thought of as a smartass than an dumbass. And as American Humorist Robert Benchley (1889-1945) noted, "no matter how well-intended, any reply to a dumbass question will inevitably appear smartassed". - Bob Hall (creator of the Miata)
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 10:36 PM
I don't know...

Sportbike: more than one... one less now...
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Some girl was talking about it.

It was some nice track time! I had a blast with all the trackaddicts as usually.
I'm pretty impressed with the low amount of crashes. I belive the speed differences in A were pretty big, I heard from all the way down to 1:25 to 1:13s... It was a good practice session for passing. The first time I could feel like the big guys and Lap someone in the session...

the lawncutting bussines opened up for a short time also...

post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 06:26 AM
TOOS Racing

Sportbike: gsxr 1000 gsxr 750
Years Riding: enough to know better
How you found us: googled "pussies on bikes"

i had an absolute blast on sunday. after riding blackhawk for the first time last week i was real excited to get back. other than one bad session after trying to get my gopro camera to work which had me getting on track pretty frustrated, i was running great. my 750 does everything i ask to do.

its fun passing people, but i am surprised how some just won't accept the fact they got passed. i passed a guy coming out of 6a and as i roll off the throttle coming into the kink he goes right by me into the grass and goes down. i had another guy on a new cbr1000rr that i passed coming out of 7 pull back up on my left right when i was getting on the brakes for one. i looked over at him like have fun trying to make the turn because the inside line is mine. not sure what he did. he didn't bother me again.

i did get yelled at for splitting two bikes down the straight. i guess that's not an I allowed maneuver. again, sorry.

can't wait to get back to the track.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 08:36 AM
Addicted

Sportbike: 09 Kawi ZX6R, 75' Yamaha RD250, '13 KTM 350 SX-F, '05 Yamaha Zuma
Years Riding: Not nearly long enough
How you found us: followed the squids

Send a message via AIM to eE jeremy
Quote:
Originally Posted by SopFu View Post
I've been to BHF three times in my short experience doing track days, and every one of those days had more red flags than the other 6 track days combined. I'm glad there weren't any injuries this weekend, though.
Blackhawk is probably one of the narrowest tracks around too, not as much room to run wide, and definitely not much run off room. In addition some corners (1, 7, between 6-6b out by the entrance road) have some pretty torn up pavement so if you're off line you're in for an interesting experience.

That said, I still love me some blackhawk!

Shitty Pass Racing #513
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 09:06 AM
Slower Traffic Keep Right

Sportbike: '06 Suzuki GSXR-750 (Track); '11 HD Electra Glide (Road Sofa)
Years Riding: 30+ yrs total
How you found us: A friend at NESBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SopFu View Post
Regardless of which org you're riding with, Blackhawk is a VERY TECHNICAL track that requires a lot of concentration/planning from the riders. In "my opinion", most red flags or run-offs are caused by a momentary lack of focus by the rider. Don't take this as a bashing statement.

Blackhawk requires 100% on your mental focus, and it's very easy to get overloaded as the session progresses. Tracks like Road America where you have three really long straights, allows you to somewhat relax your body/mind for a few seconds per lap per straight. This helps you to refocus on what's coming up. Blackhawk doesn't afford you the chance to relax. The only way to relax there, is to hot pit, regroup, and go back out.

I hated Blackhawk when I first started, but now I love the challenge of seeing how consistent I can get my lap times, and how well I can get through the trickier corners.

One of these days, I got check out STT.

Midwest Track Day CR #130
NESBA 130-Control Rider (Former Midwest Region)
STT "A" 130
Track: 2006 GSXR-750
Street: 2011 H-D Ultra Limited (Road Sofa)

www.MidwestTrackDay.com / www.MidwestTrackDay.motorsportreg.com / www.facebook.com/midwesttrackday

http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member6419.png
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 10:17 AM

Sportbike: '03 Gsxr 1000, '04 Zuma,07 GSXR 600 trackbike
Years Riding: june 2007, since new,july '10
How you found us: friend

Send a message via AIM to Pilotx1 Send a message via Yahoo to Pilotx1
I had a great time this weekend, got into the high 23's so i did improve some though i would have like to get to teh low 23's maybe 22's but ive only been there once this summer

the misting rain on sat morning kinda put a damper on things and I think going out for 3 laps while it was still wet and slick did more harm than good for me. just put me on edge the rest of the day after slipping and tiptoing around in the morning even after it dried up.

BHF is definately a demanding and challenging track, i cant remember where i heard it but bhf is a simple track to remember but a hard one to go fast on and its defintely true.

dwags, splitting 2 bikes down the front straight for a pass would be allowed, you just need to have 6ft of seperation between them, thats probably what got you the warning.

I only had one real oops moment all weekend and it really wasnt that bad at all anyways, Ive been working on turning in later and harder to square off the corners better and turned in harder for 7 but too early and ended up kinda using the curbing as a jump, rolled off the throttle and kinda stood on the pegs and rode it out well enough to keep it on the track.

-Jason
CCS AM #31
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 10:44 AM
Fat guy on a sport bike

Sportbike: Schwinn
Years Riding: 7 minutes and 52 seconds
How you found us: ask.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotx1 View Post
Ive been working on turning in later and harder to square off the corners better and turned in harder for 7 but too early and ended up kinda using the curbing as a jump, rolled off the throttle and kinda stood on the pegs and rode it out well enough to keep it on the track.

I did that at a motovid day when Shawn Hill was working with me. During the break before the session he was explaining to me how if a track is 40 feet wide, he likes to use 41 feet. I kept on the gas (for the most part) after that and he came up next to me smiling and giving me a thumbs up.
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 10:49 AM

Sportbike: 2008 Triumph Speed Triple, 2000 and 2008 R6 track bikes
Years Riding: Not long enough.
How you found us: another local forum

All and all it was a good two days. My only gripe is that I think there should be a little more regulation on who rides in what group. There is no reason for someone to be in I if it is their first track day. Intermediate group had a bunch of people I feel should have been in novice. I was turning consistent 24s but had to constantly pass. I had an off on Saturday in the carousel. I know it's not a race and I don't have to pass but I had a clean line on the outside and a lot of momentum. Then for no reason the rider in front of me drifts way wide into my line forcing me to either run into the back of him or turn harder for the inside line. I turned inside and caught my right peg. A big thanks to the people who helped me get the bike back together for Sunday. If you can't hold a line you should be in Novice. Enough said.

On a a lighter note this was my first time on my new to me 2000 R6 track bike. What a difference. Despite some shifting mistakes early on, the bike is GP shift, I managed to get my lap times down to 1:22 as long as I could get some clean track. I should be able to turn some advance group times with just a little bit of practice.
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 11:00 AM
Y'all know me as Mouse

Sportbike: '08 R6 / '09 R6 / '04 GSXR
Years Riding: fer a while
How you found us: Been here all along.

Send a message via AIM to Blake
It was a great time seeing everyone out there.
That misting rain Sat morning was tons of fun. I threw the rain tires on and besides it being a little slick on the exit or 1, all thru T4 and 5, the exit of 6...... the rest of the track was a blast

I hadn't been back to BHF in a year. So it was good fun to get readjusted and even more fun riding with friends.
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 11:41 AM
King Nothing

Sportbike: I ride Ur Mom
Years Riding: As long as Ive known Ur Mom
How you found us: u found me

Had a great time! Only ran on Sunday. Big kudos and thanks to: Troy for the laptimer, Nolan for the rear warmer, and G2G for the use of the front warmer.(dont buy cheap tire warmers, it aint worth it!) and Chris for the help on the first half of the carousel. Went out first session on the cold track and did 1:21's and 1:22's, so I knew it would be a good day. Unfortunately, the lap timer really didnt work much after that (I really dont know how to work it) Of all the times I went out it only got like 4 laps from the first session, but at least I was fairly consistent with the Average of those 4 calculating at 1:21.5. All in all I was pleased with the day except for the fact that I got gassed and am out of shape. Last session I came up on Jeff Chen and followed him for a bit and chasing him really reinforced for me how much faster I can take 1, 4, 6B and 7. Thanks Jeff! I also had a ride off at 7 earlier in the day! Someone was pitting out (he followed correct procedure), I was right behind a guy and I guessed that he was just gonna roll through 7 on pace and go around the guy pitting out.....I guessed wrong - right at the last second he checked up (i guess he wasn't comfortable going around the guy pitting out) and I wasn't comfortable taking that rough pavement line around both of them already two wide at the apex. Its amazing how fast things go through your head in an instant first I thought "do it" and trust the tires "could end up really good or really bad", then I thought "stand it up and brake heavily before the grass and just coast off into the grass- there is no trophy for an amazing pass heading into the back straight" well I chose option 2 and and it worked out well. That whole risk vs. reward mindset really comes in handy! I learned a valuable lesson about assuming what another rider will do, and it got me thinking about practicing more multiple lines and turn in points through 1,5 and 7 which I will need to work on next year. After all, how am I gonna get that Farm and Fleet sponsorship without a little agricultural work?

"When in doubt, use full throttle. It may not improve your situation, but it will end the suspense."
post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 01:03 PM

Sportbike: R6
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: Sportbike Track Time

Glad you guys had fun. BHF is a good track, but it can bite you in the butt if you aren't on your game.

Nick Amelio
Northern Division Director and Gunshow provider
SPORTBIKETRACKTIME.COM

[email protected]
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 01:44 PM
G2G

Sportbike: It changes everyday
Years Riding: since 1991
How you found us: Ur mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger View Post
Had a great time! Only ran on Sunday. Big kudos and thanks to: Troy for the laptimer, Nolan for the rear warmer, and G2G for the use of the front warmer.(dont buy cheap tire warmers, it aint worth it!) and Chris for the help on the first half of the carousel. Went out first session on the cold track and did 1:21's and 1:22's, so I knew it would be a good day. Unfortunately, the lap timer really didnt work much after that (I really dont know how to work it) Of all the times I went out it only got like 4 laps from the first session, but at least I was fairly consistent with the Average of those 4 calculating at 1:21.5. All in all I was pleased with the day except for the fact that I got gassed and am out of shape. Last session I came up on Jeff Chen and followed him for a bit and chasing him really reinforced for me how much faster I can take 1, 4, 6B and 7. Thanks Jeff! I also had a ride off at 7 earlier in the day! Someone was pitting out (he followed correct procedure), I was right behind a guy and I guessed that he was just gonna roll through 7 on pace and go around the guy pitting out.....I guessed wrong - right at the last second he checked up (i guess he wasn't comfortable going around the guy pitting out) and I wasn't comfortable taking that rough pavement line around both of them already two wide at the apex. Its amazing how fast things go through your head in an instant first I thought "do it" and trust the tires "could end up really good or really bad", then I thought "stand it up and brake heavily before the grass and just coast off into the grass- there is no trophy for an amazing pass heading into the back straight" well I chose option 2 and and it worked out well. That whole risk vs. reward mindset really comes in handy! I learned a valuable lesson about assuming what another rider will do, and it got me thinking about practicing more multiple lines and turn in points through 1,5 and 7 which I will need to work on next year. After all, how am I gonna get that Farm and Fleet sponsorship without a little agricultural work?

Hey fruitcake if you need a rear also I would have brought them both. LOL Glad it all worked out for ya.
post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 02:21 PM
King Nothing

Sportbike: I ride Ur Mom
Years Riding: As long as Ive known Ur Mom
How you found us: u found me

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2G View Post
Hey fruitcake if you need a rear also I would have brought them both. LOL Glad it all worked out for ya.
At the time I thought I was fine as my rear worked fine the previous weekend.- those shitty Crosswerx that that guy is selling on the ccs forums both melted and started on fire after 6 track weekends, the rear started to smoke as I was warming the tires before the first session.....................

"When in doubt, use full throttle. It may not improve your situation, but it will end the suspense."
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 02:40 PM
G2G

Sportbike: It changes everyday
Years Riding: since 1991
How you found us: Ur mom

Jesus. LOL OK if you are coming to the safety first bike night bring my warmer there as I need it for next Wed.
post #21 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 03:06 PM

Sportbike: 07 gsxr1000
Years Riding: started at 7 sportbike a few
How you found us: buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy View Post
I can't speak for those riding today, but yesterday was an absolute blast!

The morning sessions were wet with a persistent drizzle, but our afternoon weather damn near ideal.

A huge thanks to Nick, STT, & CLSB for the free day donated to raffle at our 10 yr anniversary party. After being away from the track for 2 seasons, this was just what the doctor ordered.

Good times grabbing dinner afterwards with the staff at Anna Maria's too.

I'd like to get in one or two more days before the snow flies. Never been to Gingerman or Grattan. Which track is better & which surface is in better shape?
Go Grattan it is a great track
post #22 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 04:41 PM
Gixxer Rider

Sportbike: K6 & K9 GSXR1000s
Years Riding: 12th season
How you found us: SBN

Big thanks to Nick and the rest of the STT staff especially Tea, Wally, Jeff, Chris, Terra and Hipple for the hospitality and good times had by our group. Sunday was an absolute blast.

Track Junkie #79
post #23 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 05:41 PM
Captain Dryspell

Sportbike: 2K4 Busa / 2K9 R1
Years Riding: About that long
How you found us: What

My weekend sucked. I broke the R1 It didn't even make it out of hot pit

I'm hoping it's something cheap. Right now it sounds like a clapped out Ducati. Not that there's anything wrong with that....if it were a Ducati

Black Hawk rules!! Wish I could have been out there with you hooligans rather than sitting there staring at the R1 being bummed out.

<<< Keith

NESBA #127
post #24 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 06:01 PM
Kim

Sportbike: '08 GSXR 750
Years Riding: Not long enough
How you found us: hubby's a member!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolan1300 View Post
Big thanks to Nick and the rest of the STT staff especially Tea, Wally, Jeff, Chris, Terra and Hipple for the hospitality and good times had by our group. Sunday was an absolute blast.
+1. Huge good times - I'm still smiling!!!

CCS #912
STT Coach #912
Former NESBA CR #29
post #25 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 07:49 PM

Sportbike: 636
Years Riding: 3
How you found us: absolute

i had a good time for my first weekend in I group. I'm still slow and have a lot to work on but i'm happy i wasn't the slowest person in I.

NESBA #48

"If everything seems under control, your not going fast enough." Mario Andretti

"When was the last time you just got up and went for a drive? Not to anywhere not for anything, just for drive. You see, motorcyclists do it all the time, so why don't human beings?" Jeremy Clarkson
post #26 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 08:32 PM

Sportbike: R6
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: Sportbike Track Time

Nolan and Kim you are very welcome.

Thanks to all that attended.

Nick Amelio
Northern Division Director and Gunshow provider
SPORTBIKETRACKTIME.COM

[email protected]
post #27 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 09:38 AM
Used, but not used up!

Sportbike: Witch one?
Years Riding: again, witch one?
How you found us: Blame - Troy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunshowNick View Post
Thanks to all that attended.
Thanks for all you do.

It was a great time.

Nice to meet Kegger & Grumpy and Terra and um.. ok brain fade. I met a lot of people and had a lot of fun.

Wish I could make the ACC event latter this month but it just ain't i the cards.

Ed (AKA Dirt Nap)
The liver is evil and must be punished!
http://www.facebook.com/team.chouffe
CCS #17
http://www.southeastsales.com/
post #28 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 12:38 PM
Captain Dryspell

Sportbike: 2K4 Busa / 2K9 R1
Years Riding: About that long
How you found us: What

^^^ Good meeting you to Ed.

Did you get a chance to watch the HD vids from my cam yet?

<<< Keith

NESBA #127
post #29 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 04:49 PM

Sportbike: Half an SV 650
Years Riding: '07
How you found us: CLSB found me

thanks so much to nick and the rest of the staff for having me out! we couldn't have asked for a more beautiful day

Jordan
NESBA/CCS #811
post #30 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 06:42 PM
I don't know...

Sportbike: more than one... one less now...
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Some girl was talking about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbizx View Post
thanks so much to nick and the rest of the staff for having me out! we couldn't have asked for a more beautiful day
... and thanks to GATORATE for the sponsoring....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode