POST: Track Experience 06AUG11 @ACC w/STT - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Sportbiketracktime.com This forum is the Midwestern home for STT and their riders. Sportbiketracktime.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
NIGHT RIDER

Sportbike: 2008 Yamaha Raven R6
Years Riding: 3
How you found us: internet

Talking POST: Track Experience 06AUG11 @ACC w/STT

First X Track Experience 06AUG11 @ACC w/STT

I had so much FUN! Where do I begin?

What help me prepare for the track was reading Sport Riding Techniques by Nick Ienatsch, Total Control by Lee Parks, A Twist of the Wrist 2, and watched the DVD version a bunch of times since I’m more of a visual learner. The DVD version of A Twist of the Wrist 2 helps me understand the book more. The most important to me was to understand Throttle Control. A person going into/exiting the turn and not rolling off, but keep a consistent ROLL ON method. How the suspension react to the roll off method in mid turn. Amongst other valuable techniques!

Total Control by Lee Parks helps me understand boding position. The book has a lot of pictures to compare correct and incorrect body position even pictures from pro riders’ (errors).

Sport Riding Techniques by Nick Ienatsch is very detail with exercises on riding techniques.

Now let’s talk about going to the track alone. I bought a case of water, Gatorade, and an E-Z up canopy later to find out it was defective: ripped, bent, and missing bars… I also had to bribe a friend to tag along with me. I paid for all his food expenses, drinks, and go kart. I packed up extra clothes, tools that I would need, and 3M delicate painters tape. Woke up 5:00am and left the city to ACC at 5:30am. I got caught in the rain, but was determine to experience the track. However following my friend in his SUV we had a hard time finding the place once we exit. Also I had to fill up before we enter the ACC camp site, so I was running a little late. (7:33am) Found a spot to set up, checked in.

NOVICE BABY by envious369, on Flickr

While trying to speed walk back to my bike, I seen Terra and Shelly, so I decide to introduce myself and chat a bit. Next, I ran back to my bike to prepare for tech spec.

Getting Ready for Tech Spec by envious369, on Flickr

However, while I was concentrating to get my bike ready for the track, I noticed that no one was around me, so I ran over to the STT meeting. After that novice had their first meeting. I meet the people in my group 6 and my awesome coach TEA! People where asking a lot of questions to SG, and I didn’t want to be rude, and leave even though my bike wasn’t ready for tech spec. When everybody was done asking questions, I ran back to my bike to finish, took it to tech spec, lower the psi on my power pures, and rode back to suit up. I started the bike, and I was approach by a guy in intermediate and was told that Novice had already left hot pot lane, and can’t go on the track without my coach. So I turn the key to the off position, and I was disappointed that I miss my first session.

Missed my First Session by envious369, on Flickr

I later found Tea and was told that I still could have waited on hot pit, and the grid marshal will let me join my group when they pass. (Aww MAN!) Well I’m not going to miss the 2nd session. After the 2nd session we had another meeting. I asked the lady next to me, which was in my group when do you brake because I never broke throughout the whole session? She replied, “I only broke when I was coming to hot on you”.

Through out the day I could not hear the PA system even though I was set up near the middle of the track. So I constantly looked at people stickers on their bike, and walk around to ask the novice group (since I was surrounded by intermediate level riders) what time will be are next session. By lunch time, I decided to walk around to meet other CLSB members, and I had the opportunity to meet Nolan. Next, I decided to check my photo’s at sideline trailer. The pictures don’t lie on your body position, and I notice my elbows where not relax on the tank while in a turn. I should have checked my pictures earlier, so I can adjust throughout the A.M. session, and improve. The cool thing about my P.M. session it was just me and Kevin with Super Girl that mean more focus on US!

Kevin and I were lined up on hot pit lane and watched the entire Novice group leave. I was like where’s SG. However, one novice coach waited for us to tag along with him, so he guided us on the track. But, I decided that he was riding to fast for my pace, so I back off a little. I ended up riding by myself, which I was fine because I was being consistence with my lines, and pushing myself little by little. By the 3rd lap, SG found me on the track. I was, so happy. She pulled in front on me and tapped the bike end of her bike. GAME TIME! Time to get my track ON! I followed her throughout the track while improving my pace. After that, SG waited for me on hot pit lane to inform me I need to get my butt off the seat. Ok gotcha, next session I will do it! However I was a little fatigue from the track and the heat, so I decided to sit out.

Mmmm H20 by envious369, on Flickr

Chillin by envious369, on Flickr

Now, it’s my last session, which is also has 2 Up riders. I’m gradually getting my butt off the seat while we hit a couple of laps. I was now in the ZONE! I could feel that I was getting more comfortable hanging off and getting faster. The highlight was when I was exiting a turn, one of the Novice coach passed me, looked back at me, and gave me THUMBS UP! How awesome is that!!!! After the last lap, I could see Super Girl waiting for me on hot pit lane. I pulled up next to her, and the first thing she did was to give me a HIGH FIVE! I had a big smile on my face! What a moment…

Coach TEA making sure I'm right behind her (LAST SESSION)! ^_^ by envious369, on Flickr

I went back to finally change my clothes to talk to GUNSHOW Nick. However, I ran into Terra, and some CR peeps taking a photo op. I was a little shy since I didn’t know anyone, but she pulled me into the photo. That’s track family love their! I thought that was pretty awesome of her for making me feel welcome. I finally got a chance to meet GUNSHOW Nick, and I thank him for giving me a chance to win a free track day. While walking to the bathroom, I noticed I had my T Shirt on backwards. Aww man, I took a photo like that too. LOLz.

After go karting, I was getting my bike back to street mode, since I had to ride back home. A guy approaches me who didn’t do track that day (who just rode in the end of the day). I did introduce my self and continue working on my bike. However, he kept on asking me about tires, surfing the internet to compare prices either to buy the tires from STT on site or order it online. I did notice he kept eye balling my bike and the parts that I installed while I walk away to get my mirrors from friend’s truck. I was in the middle of putting back my mirrors when I noticed he kept touching parts on my bike. I later got annoyed and told him I’m really busy trying to put back my bike into street mode, and not comfortable that you keep touching my bike (I don’t know you like that), and keep asking so many questions. He finally got the message.

While riding back home, I just remember I never got a chance to try Shelly’s brownies…

Overall Track is where it’s at! FUN, FUN, FUN, surround with awesome people, just like you! You will become more confident, and build skills that will keep you alive on the street while becoming a safer rider.
THANK YOU STT, Nick, the Track Family for a wonderful time!

We will meet again on 24SEP11 @ACC w/STT, which will probably be my last track for the year. I hope to meet more positive riders’ even street rides that will forever shape my life for the passion and love of the sport! See you @ the track and keep me posted if you guys hit the street.

ACC North Course Turn 9 by envious369, on Flickr

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

"In his heart, a man plans his course but the Lord determines his steps" (Proverbs 16:9)

Last edited by envious369; 09-13-2011 at 03:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 08:26 AM
Defender of the Innocent

Sportbike: Simon and Garfunkel
Years Riding: over a decade
How you found us: YZFRob

Jay,

I'm so happy you enjoyed your first day at the track!
You improved tremendously!!

It also worked out great that only you and Kevin were in our group by the afternoon, so each of you got a bit 1 on 1 coaching time!

Seeing your riding in the last session made me smile and scream 'yay' in my helmet and that's what makes us proud of what we do; seeing the improvement and seeing the sparks in our student's eyes at the end of the day!!

You did great, Jay!!! Stay safe and see you out there!

t.

Tea Palella
Midwest Instructor

SportbikeTrackTime - SportbikeTrackGear - SportbikeTrackGirl

IMMIGracing
CCS #56 - Arlen Ness Racing, Hindle, Silkolene, Suomy, Woodcraft, Vortex, Sharkskinz, PopShadow, TrackdayMag.com, Cyclepath Racing
ChicagoLand Bikers.com
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 09:43 AM

Sportbike: triumph speed four
Years Riding: 1 year
How you found us: fell asleep on my softail and woke up here

Dude great write up!

Glad you've been able to get on the track. Still trying to get my first track day in. Glad to read about these first time experiences

See you out there soon

visor down
nesba #608
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 09:49 AM
King Nothing

Sportbike: I ride Ur Mom
Years Riding: As long as Ive known Ur Mom
How you found us: u found me

Tip: Dont depend on the PA systems. The groups will run pretty close to the 20's so if your groups first session is at 20 minutes after the hour, it will remain that way throughout the day

"When in doubt, use full throttle. It may not improve your situation, but it will end the suspense."
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 08:32 PM
TERRAdactyl

Sportbike: 07 600RR
Years Riding: on the street since 01
How you found us: accidentally stepped in it

Send a message via Yahoo to catwlights
Awe! Track <3 Love.

Glad you have a blast! I look forward to seeing you out there again this month!

Love the part where you said your shirt was on backwards. That had me LULZ!!!!

Terra
STT Staff
Midwest Instructor
www.sportbiketracktime.com

Pushing the Limits of Life's Opportunities
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 08:38 PM

Sportbike: drz400sm
Years Riding: yes
How you found us: search engine

yeah supergirl rules! did you wish her happy birthday the other day? i hope you
bought her a gift even.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 07:48 PM
Gixxer Rider

Sportbike: K6 & K9 GSXR1000s
Years Riding: 12th season
How you found us: SBN

It was nice to meet you Jay. The coach I introduced you to for R6 info was Blake here on CLSB aka Mouse/Chris. Tea was unknowingly giving me updates on your progress throughout the day. Great to hear that you had fun. Hope to see you out there soon.

Track Junkie #79
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 10:11 PM

Sportbike: R6
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: Sportbike Track Time

that was an incredible post!

Nick Amelio
Northern Division Director and Gunshow provider
SPORTBIKETRACKTIME.COM

[email protected]
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 03:28 AM Thread Starter
NIGHT RIDER

Sportbike: 2008 Yamaha Raven R6
Years Riding: 3
How you found us: internet

See you ladies and gents on 24SEP11 ACC North Course w/STT Family!

Where's my cool STT shirt Nick? lolz

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

"In his heart, a man plans his course but the Lord determines his steps" (Proverbs 16:9)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode