Chicagoland Sportbikes

Sportbiketracktime.com This forum is the Midwestern home for STT and their riders. Sportbiketracktime.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Kim

Sportbike: '08 GSXR 750
Years Riding: Not long enough
How you found us: hubby's a member!

Since I'm only doing one day this weekend I figured I'd start the post thread before the weekend's over...

It was a cold, cloudy, windy morning that turned into a cool, sunny, windy afternoon. Track was sketchy in the first couple of sessions but warmed up into the late morning/early afternoon.

I felt better and better as the day wore on, and ended up running my personal best time (1:24:17)at ABN. I'm pretty happy, considering it was my first day on the track this year and I beat last year's times by more than 4 seconds. And I got to come home with me and the bike intact - that's always a victory

Thanks Troy (T'znuts) for the coaching help in the afternoon!

Now it's time for dinner and early bedtime. Good times everyone!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 11:11 PM
King Nothing

Sportbike: I ride Ur Mom
Years Riding: As long as Ive known Ur Mom
How you found us: u found me

"When in doubt, use full throttle. It may not improve your situation, but it will end the suspense."
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 02:10 AM
Defender of the Innocent

Sportbike: Simon and Garfunkel
Years Riding: over a decade
How you found us: YZFRob

Great news Kim!!

I enjoyed being coached by Troy, and hey, he popped my knee puck cherries :-)
No, seriously, you can tell that he is enjoying what he does, and that makes riding a lot more fun!

I'm really glad to hear you had fun and came back in 1 piece!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 06:11 AM
Gixxer Rider

Sportbike: K6 & K9 GSXR1000s
Years Riding: 12th season
How you found us: SBN

I had an okay day for my first trackday of the year. Cold slippery conditions in the morning, only 3 hours sleep, and rusty skills didn't help my confidence in front-end traction. Top that off with the fact that I'm out of shape for advanced pace riding right now so I had to pit-out early due to muscle cramps. I still managed to average lap times in the low teens but was slower than I was at the end of last season. It was definitely good to get back out there again and I'm looking forward to the next one.

It was nice to see all the CLSB folks there too.

Big thanks to Troy (t'znutz) for working with Kim and helping her start off the season so well.

Track Junkie #79
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 01:49 PM
i need a new bike, this one is trashed

Sportbike: Yammies
Years Riding: A few
How you found us: fellow rider

Firstly big thanks to Nolan for the Knee Pucks...I know that trying to ride without them would have adversely affected my riding.

It was a slow morning for me as it was a brand new bike to me and I was getting use to its quirks....but by the afternoon I was running a decent pace..no idea about laptimes though.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 04:22 PM
"PC" ,my balls

Sportbike: '02 GSXR1000 (street),'02 GSXR600 (track),'94CR125 (dirt), 3x pocketbikes (oval), KTMs x 3
Years Riding: 20 years
How you found us: Google search

Good to be back on the bike again. I was pretty rusty before lunch. I was braking way early and exiting corners before I'd gas it. Biggy and Hunny grilled. Sorry I couldn't hang out but my wife was at the track studying so we kind of kept to ourselves. After lunch I went back out and started getting passed again. Then it just clicked and after being passed by a group I said no more. I took off after the group and reeled in and passed 1 of them and was looking for more when a red flag came out ending the session. My son was clocking me on a stopwatch and had me running consistent 1:15's the last couple sessions.

Good to see all, Rdrash, Biggy, Hunny, Ernie, Nolan, Kim, Meech, Tznuts, and anyone I forgot. See ya' next time.

My wife thinks we're a bunch of Top Gun wannabes with our call signs, so for future reference, I'm Roger

I've done some things I'm not proud of...and the things I am proud of are disgusting - Moe on the Simpsons
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 08:57 PM
Registered Loser

Sportbike: 06 gsxr 1k
Years Riding: best yrs of my life
How you found us: i forgot

I really hate to be the complaining old bastard, but here goes:

That track is fucked. There is now a huge divot in the apex of turn one, the fastest corner on the track. I fear for anyone who may race there in the future. At a track day, you can ease through. In a race.... someone's gonna get hurt. Bad. Every time i turned up the pace there was some shitty patchwork or bumpy, twisted ashphalt that destroyed my confidence. I ride a lot of public streets that are safer to ride on than that 'race track'.

To add insult to injury, theres like 15 new structures on the property. Apparently housing wealthy visitors is more profitable than maintaining a your race surface. I can only imagine how bad the south course is now.

On the positive side, this was my first STT day, and i really liked the people there. Not of the talent of the other org., but good riders nonetheless. I group had very few CR's (I think there were 2) but things were fine. The variety of skill levels took some getting used to. I really had to watch my closing speeds. I thought the 6' foot rule would be unsafe, but i was careful and had a lot of fun with the loose passing rules.

In conclusion: STT is cool, Autobahn sucks ass. Its 20 minutes from my house and i am never going back.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 09:04 PM
G2G

Sportbike: It changes everyday
Years Riding: since 1991
How you found us: Ur mom

Haha dude the north course is the smooth one. The south course was unridable last spring. I cannot fathom even racing there. That must be the reason both racing orgs. decided to stay away from there. I was going to sign up to go since alot of board members where going this weekend but there was no way I was going to deal with 30 mph winds and crappy weather conditions. Props to you guys sticking it out but it is no fun not running at full pace when you pay that much to be there. It is like throwing money out the window since you hvae to backdown since you tires will not grip. Catch you guys at the next trackday

Last edited by G2G; 04-27-2008 at 09:06 PM.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 10:28 PM
CUBS fan, not a SOX hater

Sportbike: F3
Years Riding: Not long enough
How you found us: AJCrowley/NESBA

Send a message via Yahoo to JackPot
Who was rolling through DT Naperville yesterday evening... blue mini van, single bike on an open trailer with mirrors/lights taped. Obviously came from a track day. We we're chillin' outside by Bar Louie and saw you roll down the main drag.

Nicole
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The blood coursing through my veins may be red, but I bleed CUBBIE BLUE!!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFD View Post
I really hate to be the complaining old bastard, but here goes:

That track is fucked. There is now a huge divot in the apex of turn one, the fastest corner on the track. I fear for anyone who may race there in the future. At a track day, you can ease through. In a race.... someone's gonna get hurt. Bad. Every time i turned up the pace there was some shitty patchwork or bumpy, twisted ashphalt that destroyed my confidence. I ride a lot of public streets that are safer to ride on than that 'race track'.

To add insult to injury, theres like 15 new structures on the property. Apparently housing wealthy visitors is more profitable than maintaining a your race surface. I can only imagine how bad the south course is now.

On the positive side, this was my first STT day, and i really liked the people there. Not of the talent of the other org., but good riders nonetheless. I group had very few CR's (I think there were 2) but things were fine. The variety of skill levels took some getting used to. I really had to watch my closing speeds. I thought the 6' foot rule would be unsafe, but i was careful and had a lot of fun with the loose passing rules.

In conclusion: STT is cool, Autobahn sucks ass. Its 20 minutes from my house and i am never going back.
no wonder my whaaaaaaaaambulance never came for me ... it picked you up instead

I was pretty much whining the whole weekend should have actually rode the new bike before just taking it to the track. Took a little bit getting used to a 600 after riding the 1000 for so long. That and the cold and the lack of sleep = crabby/whiney Michelle
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 08:06 AM
Human lawn dart

Sportbike: 03 ninja 6r 05 ttr-230 04 klx300r
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: I know all

Send a message via AIM to rdrash
I wouldn't say your were whiney Meech. It was more like my 1 year old having a fit after I took a toy away. Don't worry I laugh at him too when he does that.

I'm not short. I'm aerodynamically efficient.

Anti Helmet Laws Pro Darwinism
MotoGP 200 mph no roll cage
NESBA # 599
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 11:16 AM

Sportbike: RC31
Years Riding: Since '03
How you found us: it's a small world afterall

Sunday actually turned out to be a little nicer, no sun and still cold, but no wind and no rain. Yay!

As for track condition, the south course is way worse. I don't think there's any orgs that still race there? I'm pretty sure there's no plan to either. They definitely cater to their car members more than the bikes, and it's a pretty expensive track to rent.

As for out of shape? Holy crap. I couldn't do more than three or four laps Sunday without my legs cramping up and having to pull in to stretch them out again, so my apologies for being in the way more than helping in I group because with that and the cold, I sucked. We just needed someone to lead the first couple warm up laps, and then everyone seemed to be behaving themselves. I don't remember any red flags all day? Just some people running out of gas?

...and yeah, Troy is the mutt's nuts.

Swift Molly's Motor Circus
Michelin Woodcraft Armour Bodies Spyder Leatherworks STT STG

UNAPOLOGETIC FAN OF THINGS THAT ARE OLD AND SLOW
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdrash View Post
I wouldn't say your were whiney Meech. It was more like my 1 year old having a fit after I took a toy away. Don't worry I laugh at him too when he does that.
I wasn't feeling good either
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 08:32 PM
Gixxer Rider

Sportbike: K6 & K9 GSXR1000s
Years Riding: 12th season
How you found us: SBN

We got to watch DanO and another guy on an new R6 tear it up on Sunday. Fast SOBs.

Track Junkie #79
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 05:49 AM

Im laughing because I worked out all winter also and went at it pretty hard but was still exhausted by the end of the day. Like everyone else it was loose until after lunch but what a great way to learn to be smooth! I know alot of people hate ACC but for me I dont find it that bad. Sure its not perfect but its nothing like Gingerman or Gratten for that matter. Its close to the house so I will def continue going. Im in Intermediate so mayby just the Advance guys/gals who are going quicker then us can feel the bad bumps better then me. Its actually my favorite midwest track but havent been to RA yet. Going there in June. Take care well see ya in May for those who are coming back. Look at it this way would u rather have a not so perfect track or no track at all. Ill take the latter.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 10:43 AM

Sportbike: All kinds.....
Years Riding: motorcycles are dangerous
How you found us: as

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolan1300 View Post
We got to watch DanO and another guy on an new R6 tear it up on Sunday. Fast SOBs.
I was working with him I did some changes to his bike (suspension-wise and geometry-wise) and got it working better...I think his best time was a mid 1:06 after the changes...which is pretty good...
I know everyone wants to know ( I didn't have a lap timer on my bike) but I got an unoffical time from some guy and his stopwatch of a high 1:04 chasing that guy down at the end of the day but I don't really think I was going that fast...but who knows (I could see a 1:05)....I was on wasted tires which were pretty sketchy...and wasn't going to put new tires on for a track day....lol

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 11:03 AM
Registered Loser

Sportbike: 06 gsxr 1k
Years Riding: best yrs of my life
How you found us: i forgot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dano5150 View Post
I was working with him I did some changes to his bike (suspension-wise and geometry-wise) and got it working better...I think his best time was a mid 1:06 after the changes...which is pretty good...
I know everyone wants to know ( I didn't have a lap timer on my bike) but I got an unoffical time from some guy and his stopwatch of a high 1:04 chasing that guy down at the end of the day but I don't really think I was going that fast...but who knows (I could see a 1:05)....I was on wasted tires which were pretty sketchy...and wasn't going to put new tires on for a track day....lol

holy crap dude, are you guys railing right through that bump in turn one?
am i just a pussy or what?

...wait, dont answer that

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode